Become a Patron!

Merlin Mini RTA By Augvape

OhmzRaw

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I finally got my hands on the Merlin Mini RTA by Augvape. I have been using this RTA for a week and a half now and decided to post my honest thoughts on it.

Lately we’ve been seeing a lot of small and compact RTA’s on the market and many people prefer them due to the great flavor they produce. The Augvape Merlin Mini is an excellent little RTA that performs brilliantly. If you had used the previous 4ml Merlin RTA, you would know that the Merlin RTA is known for its excellent flavor and its velocity styled single coil deck. The Merlin Mini RTA is no different with flavor, it produces excellent flavor and is simple enough for anyone to use.

As you can tell by the name, the Augvape Merlin Mini RTA is the smaller brother of the Augvape Merlin RTA and has inherited all of the great features of the original. The Merlin Mini is a 24mm, 2ml RTA and features 2 build decks, a single and a dual to suit your building preference and vaping style. I have only used the single coil option as I am a huge fan of single coil RTA’s. The tank has a simple and easy to use top fill system and has adjustable airflow control with 3 different airflow settings/styles to cater for all users. You can use it as a full Mouth to Lung setup with the airflow screw inserted or as a Direct Lung Hit with it removed.
Merlin and Merlin Mini:
IMG-20161212-WA0016.jpg

Here are some of the specs:

· 24mm*42.3 mm
· Capacity: 2 ML
· 304 Stainless Steel
· Comes with 2 18mm decks
· Single coil deck pre-installed
· 2*2 mm squared post holes
· Single 4.5 mm internal air-holes
· Comes with 2mm & 1.5mm airflow hole inserts
· 4*4 mm juice holes
· Dual coil deck
· 2*2.5 mm post holes
· Dual 3*5 mm squared air-holes
· Velocity style dual coil deck
· 3 mm diameter juice holes
· Peek insulator
· Gold plated brass contact
· 2*12 mm bottom air-holes

What you get in the box:
IMG-20161212-WA0011.jpg

Building and wicking this tank was very easy. I decided to remove the airflow inserts/screw as I prefer a restrictive lung hit. If you prefer a mouth to lung style setup, they include 2 different sized inserts which you can screw in to suit your style. The 18mm single coil deck allows you to chuck in some massive builds. I used a single twisted Clapton and it fitted in without a problem. Wicking was rather simple and doesn’t require much expertise at all. This RTA has no problem with high VG juices and that is because of its huge juice holes. The Merlin Mini does not have juice flow control like its predecessor and that’s due to its size. So far I did not have any leaking at all with this RTA and its been vaping like a dream. The airflow on the tank is extremely smooth and with the screw removed, I would say it has slightly less airflow than the Serpent Mini 25 but it’s still good enough. With the smallest airflow screw inserted, it becomes a mouth to lung style vape and it performs really well as a mouth to lung setup. You get a nice tight draw. If you’ve been searching for the perfect Mouth To Lung RTA, this is the one to get. The top fill system works well and has massive openings for easy filling. The one thing I liked about this RTA was that I did not get any spit back after refilling like I do with the serpent mini 25. The drip tip they include is extremely comfortable and definitely the best drip tip that comes with a tank. If you wish, you can remove the drip tip and use your own as well. The build quality is excellent and the threads are nice and smooth.

IMG-20161212-WA0014.jpg

Augvape have done an excellent job with this tank. They took the original idea of the 4ml Merlin and have improved on a few things. I love that they made this tank for all users with the idea of the different airflow inserts and included 2 build decks with it.The draw on the tank is nice and smooth and the flavor it produces is excellent. I’m a huge fan of the 4ml Merlin but this Merlin mini is a step up from that RTA. It may be due to its size and design that it produces excellent flavor as expected. I don’t mind the 2ml capacity because of how easy it is to refill it but I do hope that Augvape plan on making an extension for it like you get for the SMOK Micro TFV4.

IMG-20161212-WA0012.jpg

Overall, it’s an excellent RTA at a great price with a lot of options and caters for all users. I love how versatile it is and the options it gives the user. You could go from a full Mouth to Lung setup to Restrictive/Direct lung hits just by inserting a screw. Its definitely a well designed and excellent RTA. If you’re flavor chaser or a Mouth to lung vaper this RTA is exactly what you should be looking at.

Last edited:

Heartsdelight

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I finally got my hands on the Merlin Mini RTA by Augvape. I have been using this RTA for a week and a half now and decided to post my honest thoughts on it.

Lately we’ve been seeing a lot of small and compact RTA’s on the market and many people prefer them due to the great flavor they produce. The Augvape Merlin Mini is an excellent little RTA that performs brilliantly. If you had used the previous 4ml Merlin RTA, you would know that the Merlin RTA is known for its excellent flavor and its velocity styled single coil deck. The Merlin Mini RTA is no different with flavor, it produces excellent flavor and is simple enough for anyone to use.

As you can tell by the name, the Augvape Merlin Mini RTA is the smaller brother of the Augvape Merlin RTA and has inherited all of the great features of the original. The Merlin Mini is a 24mm, 2ml RTA and features 2 build decks, a single and a dual to suit your building preference and vaping style. I have only used the single coil option as I am a huge fan of single coil RTA’s. The tank has a simple and easy to use top fill system and has adjustable airflow control with 3 different airflow settings/styles to cater for all users. You can use it as a full Mouth to Lung setup with the airflow screw inserted or as a Direct Lung Hit with it removed.
Merlin and Merlin Mini:
View attachment 68883

Here are some of the specs:

· 24mm*42.3 mm
· Capacity: 2 ML
· 304 Stainless Steel
· Comes with 2 18mm decks
· Single coil deck pre-installed
· 2*2 mm squared post holes
· Single 4.5 mm internal air-holes
· Comes with 2mm & 1.5mm airflow hole inserts
· 4*4 mm juice holes
· Dual coil deck
· 2*2.5 mm post holes
· Dual 3*5 mm squared air-holes
· Velocity style dual coil deck
· 3 mm diameter juice holes
· Peek insulator
· Gold plated brass contact
· 2*12 mm bottom air-holes

What you get in the box:
View attachment 68884

Building and wicking this tank was very easy. I decided to remove the airflow inserts/screw as I prefer a restrictive lung hit. If you prefer a mouth to lung style setup, they include 2 different sized inserts which you can screw in to suit your style. The 18mm single coil deck allows you to chuck in some massive builds. I used a single twisted Clapton and it fitted in without a problem. Wicking was rather simple and doesn’t require much expertise at all. This RTA has no problem with high VG juices and that is because of its huge juice holes. The Merlin Mini does not have juice flow control like its predecessor and that’s due to its size. So far I did not have any leaking at all with this RTA and its been vaping like a dream. The airflow on the tank is extremely smooth and with the screw removed, I would say it has slightly less airflow than the Serpent Mini 25 but it’s still good enough. With the smallest airflow screw inserted, it becomes a mouth to lung style vape and it performs really well as a mouth to lung setup. You get a nice tight draw. If you’ve been searching for the perfect Mouth To Lung RTA, this is the one to get. The top fill system works well and has massive openings for easy filling. The one thing I liked about this RTA was that I did not get any spit back after refilling like I do with the serpent mini 25. The drip tip they include is extremely comfortable and definitely the best drip tip that comes with a tank. If you wish, you can remove the drip tip and use your own as well. The build quality is excellent and the threads are nice and smooth.

View attachment 68885

Augvape have done an excellent job with this tank. They took the original idea of the 4ml Merlin and have improved on a few things. I love that they made this tank for all users with the idea of the different airflow inserts and included 2 build decks with it.The draw on the tank is nice and smooth and the flavor it produces is excellent. I’m a huge fan of the 4ml Merlin but this Merlin mini is a step up from that RTA. It may be due to its size and design that it produces excellent flavor as expected. I don’t mind the 2ml capacity because of how easy it is to refill it but I do hope that Augvape plan on making an extension for it like you get for the SMOK Micro TFV4.

View attachment 68886

Overall, it’s an excellent RTA at a great price with a lot of options and caters for all users. I love how versatile it is and the options it gives the user. You could go from a full Mouth to Lung setup to Restrictive/Direct lung hits just by inserting a screw. Its definitely a well designed and excellent RTA. If you’re flavor chaser or a Mouth to lung vaper this RTA is exactly what you should be looking at.
Great review! Thanks! I too hope they make the extension kit for it too! Then it would be perfect! As much as everyone loved the Merlin's driptip the Mini's is even better since the opening is now rounded. If they also sold the driptip separately that would be great!

OhmzRaw

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Great review! Thanks! I too hope they make the extension kit for it too! Then it would be perfect! As much as everyone loved the Merlin's driptip the Mini's is even better since the opening is now rounded. If they also sold the driptip separately that would be great!
All what you have suggested is great stuff that I think Augvape should definitely consider. There's so many people who love the Merlin mini but hate the fact that it's 2ml and so, they don't buy it. If there was an extension kit, it'll cater for these people. I'm also a huge fan of the drip tips and I do hope Augvape decides to sell these drip tips. Personally this won't really affect me because locally we have the best hand made drip tips available made with Corian bone and acrylic. However, I would definitely buy the Augvape drip tip then at least my Serpent mini 25mm can have its own drip tip rather and my Merlin RTA (the big one) can have its drip tip back.

SKYYcamel

Member For 4 Years
Can someone help me with my Merlin Mini? Every time I refill it it leaks. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong.

OhmzRaw

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
It appears to me that you are using too less wick.

de9a9856739c40812b35357f491364e5.jpg

Measure out that much of wick.

40441f3ca6cb5049a131fe96c6537837.jpg

Puff up the ends (just get those tail ends puffed up, Don't thin it)

091d6c66fcff7f0ece0c024b447e35e8.jpg

Tuck in the wicks making 100% sure that the wicks are in those cups as shown.

a28b8e6172f66283495d14edcf98d8b2.jpg

This is how it should look when you're done. Be sure to check that those juice holes have cotton behind them and make certain that those cups as shown in previous picture has cotton in them. Another thing to note is that you shouldn't over prime the cotton when you're down. 4 drops of juice on the coil in enough.

If you tried this and still no luck, let me know and I'll do a full write up on how to wick this sucker.

SKYYcamel

Member For 4 Years
It appears to me that you are using too less wick.

de9a9856739c40812b35357f491364e5.jpg

Measure out that much of wick.

40441f3ca6cb5049a131fe96c6537837.jpg

Puff up the ends (just get those tail ends puffed up, Don't thin it)

091d6c66fcff7f0ece0c024b447e35e8.jpg

Tuck in the wicks making 100% sure that the wicks are in those cups as shown.

a28b8e6172f66283495d14edcf98d8b2.jpg

This is how it should look when you're done. Be sure to check that those juice holes have cotton behind them and make certain that those cups as shown in previous picture has cotton in them. Another thing to note is that you shouldn't over prime the cotton when you're down. 4 drops of juice on the coil in enough.

If you tried this and still no luck, let me know and I'll do a full write up on how to wick this sucker.
Thanks. I'll give that a try and let you know how it goes.

VU Sponsors