Become a Patron!

Metal rda taste

Ive been using rda's for a little while now and i recently got a new loop by geek vape and the first and second setup i had on it was amazing but after that every setup ive had on it (3) started tasting like it had a metal taste and didnt tast like the juice what so ever. Im wondering if im not putting enough cotton even though they was tight or that it could be because the cotton bacon is like 3 months old but its been in the bag please help and thanks in advance

JuicyLucy

My name is Lucy and I am a squonkaholic
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
What kind of wire are you using?

Many things can bring on unpleasant metal tastes - from the type of wire used in the coil, incorrect dry firing for the type of metal used, too high of a wattage and even metal residue on the hands when wicking

Sure others will chime in with other possible causes

Even changing/healing taste buds can make you more sensitive to metal tastes. For example, when I first started building, kathanl was great for instance; after my taste buds healed after a year or so of vaping, all I can taste is metal when using kanthal. Others have used it for years and prefer it *shrugs*

I have dual hive coils on it im not sure of the metal but the ohms is 0.50 the coils heat up really good i never did get a metal res on me when wicking the coils i got off wish so i would have to go back to the order details to find out but i did let the coils heat when i first put them on and pulsed them until they started to turn blue

These coils read .50 instead of .45 but they look to be the same coils when i used them i started on 50 watts like i have with all my setups. Google says that the A1 coils are kenthal

JuicyLucy

My name is Lucy and I am a squonkaholic
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
You may want to try soaking them in vodka or ever clear for awhile, then gently scrub with a clean brush to make sure all residue is gone before pulsing -

I'm not familiar with these specific coils, but some of these makers use less than stellar quality wire - also make sure your hands are very clean before handling the cotton bacon. Age of the cotton will not affect taste, but residual anything from your hands can - very much

Bigrick

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I personally do not trust Wish for vape gear. Even the consumables are questionable. I came to this conclusion after getting of all things clone Cotton Bacon. So for what it is worth.

zephyr

Dirty Pirate Meg
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
These coils read .50 instead of .45 but they look to be the same coils when i used them i started on 50 watts like i have with all my setups. Google says that the A1 coils are kenthal

Have all your builds before also been the hive coils?

Hive coils look like a messy birdnest, parts of the coil will get dry before the others - this can cause a yucky taste

Hive coils can also have hot spots that are hard to see, inside the twists...pretty bad coils all around

You need to glow kanthal coils red hot before wicking - especially if the wire is poor quality or very dirty

Coils sold through a company like Wish seem like they would necessarily have poor and inconsistent quality

Many things can cause bad taste - I would start simple and wash your RDA and put in new coils of a different type

No my other builds have been claptions and ss handmade coils but ive got some coils out of that pack on my rdta that are the alien captions

VU Sponsors