Metal taste after vaping a liquid

TrackDay

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
I've never had this happen to me before with any other liquid. I was vaping Vaper Treats ice cream cake for a good day or two and the flavour was fantastic. Fast forward to today and I started getting this metal taste in my mouth after vaping it. Replaced my coils and wicks and I still got the same metal taste. Replaced my wicks yet again and started vaping a different liquid and the taste is gone. What could be causing this? Has my nicotine gone bad? Have I got vapors tongue?

PhantomOp

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I wounder if it has Vanilla Bean Ice Cream flavor in it ... I've read a few threads about that flavor getting harsh / tasting funky after a while.
The only other though is what I taste when using Nichrome coils ... they taste very metal flavored ... that is all my juice though with that wire type.
I prefer SS wire, then Kanthal if I have to.

TrackDay

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
I wounder if it has Vanilla Bean Ice Cream flavor in it ... I've read a few threads about that flavor getting harsh / tasting funky after a while.
The only other though is what I taste when using Nichrome coils ... they taste very metal flavored ... that is all my juice though with that wire type.

Yeah, it's strange. I'm using 23g kanthal and I've never got a metal taste from it before.

PhantomOp

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
So you said you switches to a different juice. Next tank put a little back in of the Vaper Treats ice cream cake. See if it comes back instantly.
The only other thing I can think of is to wash the atty really good with soap/water, ultrasonic clean it, and soak in vodka. If the taste comes back again it has to be something in the juice.

Mfg date of juice? how long has it been steeping/sitting?

MrScaryZ

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I've never had this happen to me before with any other liquid. I was vaping Vaper Treats ice cream cake for a good day or two and the flavour was fantastic. Fast forward to today and I started getting this metal taste in my mouth after vaping it. Replaced my coils and wicks and I still got the same metal taste. Replaced my wicks yet again and started vaping a different liquid and the taste is gone. What could be causing this? Has my nicotine gone bad? Have I got vapors tongue?
What type of wire are you using/

TrackDay

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
So you said you switches to a different juice. Next tank put a little back in of the Vaper Treats ice cream cake. See if it comes back instantly.
The only other thing I can think of is to wash the atty really good with soap/water, ultrasonic clean it, and soak in vodka. If the taste comes back again it has to be something in the juice.

Mfg date of juice? how long has it been steeping/sitting?

There's no date on the bottle. I've had it for months and only just started vaping it. I've got no idea how long it was sitting on the shelf at the vape shop. Wouldn't the taste have shown up when I first started vaping it?

What type of wire are you using/

23g Kanthal.

PhantomOp

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
first started vaping it
Possibly, I've been reading in the DIY section about flavors getting harsh, NIC getting harsh, and flavors getting muted... but never flavors getting metal taste. I mix up my own juices, and have experienced them all, except the metal taste from juice, just wire. :)

TrackDay

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
After vaping it I actually thought my mouth was bleeding after the taste I got. Checked in the mirror and my mouth was fine. o_O

s7m8a1978

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Could be any number of causes which some have stated here. Could be the juice breaking down. It could also be impurities in your RDA or RTA, whichever you're using. I don't know if kanthal oxidizes or otherwise degrades over time. I'll leave that to someone in the know to chime in on. Could be a physical issue. Started any new medications or changed dosage on medication? Could also be an allergy to the juice. Allergic reactions can hit instantly or over time. Food allergies can present with a metallic taste. Maybe you could get your hands on a small fresh bottle of the stuff and see if that works. Some juices get janky after a while. Opening the bottle during your regular usage reintroduces moisture and oxygen which could've sent the juice south quick. I know that one from experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KingPin!

In my defence, I was left unsupervised ^^
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
Know it sounds silly but is one of your coil wires touching the casing? Had this happen to me the rubber bung hadn't secured it properly started frying the wire got that metallic taste you described which is why I noticed it and swapped it out immediately

Doubt it's the liquid if it's been fine all along

TrackDay

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
Know it sounds silly but is one of your coil wires touching the casing? Had this happen to me the rubber bung hadn't secured it properly started frying the wire got that metallic taste you described which is why I noticed it and swapped it out immediately

Doubt it's the liquid if it's been fine all along

I don't think so man. I switched out my coils again after noticing one was kinda deformed ( I got a few badly built coils this time when buying pre built ) and the metal taste has gone when vaping the ice cream cake. I also noticed one of the coils wasn't firing properly even after making sure they were heating evenly from the inside out when installed. Not entirely sure what happened, but at least the metal taste is finally gone for good I hope.

r055co

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Yep, NiChrome gives me a funky metal taste and cheap Kanthal also. SS gives me a very clean/crisp taste, good Kanthal like from Kidney Puncher, Pure Atomist and Temco I don't have that issued.

PhantomOp

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
SS gives me a very clean/crisp taste, good Kanthal like from Kidney Puncher, Pure Atomist and Temco I don't have that issued
I've only purchased Lighting Vapes wire, so far it has been very clean (I white rag wiped it down, has been very clean and no machine oils that were noticeable) and no taste to the SS wire. The Kanthal has been very slightly noticeable, and I do still use it and vape on it.

AndriaD

Yes, I DO wear a mask! I'm vaccinated, too!
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years

Could be some flavor ingredient. I can't vape anything that has even a smidge of cinnemaldehyde ("RedHot") flavoring; to me it tastes like burnt metal.

Andria

KingPin!

In my defence, I was left unsupervised ^^
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
Ok as others have said could be wire type

or one other thing is there caramel in there that can taste metallic to some especially if your wattage is too high

VU Sponsors