Become a Patron!

Metal taste and smoke coming out of post holes

I am not sure what is wrong with my Vandy Vape Pyro. The vape production is poor, I get no flavour and after a 2 to 3 second drag I get a terrible metal taste. I have tried new different coils, cleaned it in an ultrasonic cleaner, made sure coils aren't touching the deck. The weird thing is it used to be absolutely perfect RDTA that I loved, but I tore one of the coils out of the post hole accidentaly once when I was trying to pull the cotton out but it was too tight. After that it has been having these problems.

When I am dry burning it smoke comes out of the post holes where the coils go into. I have looked around online and people say it is a short circuit but I have tried all the troubleshooting steps but still get the same issue. I have tried tightening the screws and the 510 as well, no luck.

Any help or ideas are greatly appreciated, I have been trying to fix this for about a week and just don't know what to do anymore. This also happened with my Avocado 24 BAF after awhile too.. Which is why I bought the pyro but I am getting the same issues now.

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
You might try some soft emery cloth on the grub screws, or fastener screws. Wallow the portion of threading in the emery cloth. The desired result being to thoroughly clean the threading of any bits of debris left by wire. Don't forget to use a vaper towel after the emery cloth to buff away remaining debris.

Yes, I read you've cleaned atty in question using ultrasonic. While I applaud that, it is still an outside possibility the threading holds fast to some minute particulates of the wire. You might also try cleaning out the post holes with the emery cloth as well for much the same reasoning.

Barring that try what my buddy @The Cromwell usually suggests for cleaning, use some isopropyl alcohol to clean it all down, rinse in cold water. Let stand a day or to dry and fully ensure the isopropyl has gone away. There's also placing it all in a pan of water and bringing to a hard boil, let stand to cool, drain it off and rinse the atty down. Dry and try.

Adding another to try here, just recalled. Try replacing the center post/screw in the bottom of the deck. It might also have gotten a foul "taste" left to it, or have particles of the wire/debris. The connecting center post, the one what brings current to the atty from the 510 connector, being clear. I squonk ergo call it the squonk pin.

Know all this cleaning may seem a bit much, though if it may help it's worth that. At least so I'm learning of late. You might also explore your wire vendor's reputation for having "clean" wire as well. Worst case there you need to shop around to find an adequately reputable vendor of wire / coil/s. I like using TemCo Industrial Power supply for Kanthal A1 and Ni80 as they have yet to send me any "dirty" wire, they might also have SS316 there.

Then ultimately, you might need to own up to that bastard Murphy having you on his loo list and you can flush the atty. Old man Murphy assuredly has a long loo list that gets shat upon for no other reason than, "if it can go wrong, it will'. One of these days I may get round to sending him post that comes here allegedly for that other guy, Bill.

HTH

Last edited:
You might try some soft emery cloth on the grub screws, or fastener screws. Wallow the portion of threading in the emery cloth. The desired result being to thoroughly clean the threading of any bits of debris left by wire. Don't forget to use a vaper towel after the emery cloth to buff away remaining debris.

Yes, I read you've cleaned atty in question using ultrasonic. While I applaud that, it is still an outside possibility the threading holds fast to some minute particulates of the wire. You might also try cleaning out the post holes with the emery cloth as well for much the same reasoning.

Barring that try what my buddy @The Cromwell usually suggests for cleaning, use some isopropyl alcohol to clean it all down, rinse in cold water. Let stand a day or to dry and fully ensure the isopropyl has gone away. There's also placing it all in a pan of water and bringing to a hard boil, let stand to cool, drain it off and rinse the atty down. Dry and try.

Adding another to try here, just recalled. Try replacing the center post/screw in the bottom of the deck. It might also have gotten a foul "taste" left to it, or have particles of the wire/debris. The connecting center post, the one what brings current to the atty from the 510 connector, being clear. I squonk ergo call it the squonk pin.

Know all this cleaning may seem a bit much, though if it may help it's worth that. At least so I'm learning of late. You might also explore your wire vendor's reputation for having "clean" wire as well. Worst case there you need to shop around to find an adequately reputable vendor of wire / coil/s. I like using TemCo Industrial Power supply for Kanthal A1 and Ni80 as they have yet to send me any "dirty" wire, they might also have SS316 there.

Then ultimately, you might need to own up to that bastard Murphy having you on his loo list and you can flush the atty. Old man Murphy assuredly has a long loo list that gets shat upon for no other reason than, "if it can go wrong, it will'. One of these days I may get round to sending him post that comes here allegedly for that other guy, Bill.

HTH

Hi thanks for your response!

I brought it to my local vape shop and they did a build on it which seemed better. I am now getting clouds and some flavour but the metal taste is still there. I have some sand paper which I will try use instead of the emery cloth. Do I need to remove the o-rings before boiling it down? I don't have any alcohol cleaners so I might try that option. In terms of the 510 connector pin, I think that might be my issue because it is hard stuck in the atty, I have tried to unscrew it many times and it just doesn't budge. Ah yes Murphys Law.. I have given up on this atty for now and ordered the Pyro V2 since I love the original so much.

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Do I need to remove the o-rings before boiling it down?

Yeah, I would as the rubber or silicone they're made from will expand out from the heat. Not sure they would go back to form afterwards, and you'd need new ones. Of course, you can also bring them up to a near boil out in another container. Really you're looking to get the nasty taste out of the pieces, and the hot to boiling can scathe it out of the materials.

Ah yes Murphys Law.. I have given up on this atty for now and ordered the Pyro V2 since I love the original so much.

More often than not we like dancing with devils we know. :) Not a thing at all wrong doing that.

I have a brass Coppervape mod. It doesn't matter what juice I use in the bottle, no matter which RDA I use, it always tastes nearly sickly sweet. I've just put it down to perhaps the way the 510 connector interacts with the brass & juice. I do not think the brass is 'leaching' anything very toxic out of itself. Would not continue using it if I felt that the case. Figure the brass would need more heat than room temp and body heat to leach anything. It stays cool to the touch so I've no great concerns.

It's simply my sweet tooth mod, makes every juice even unflavored taste similar to the first juice I ran through it, a nice chocolate & tobacco blend. Sometimes those we know treat us well enough to look over faults. Granted too, I don't use the brass bad boy every day, all day. More keen to use the silver aluminum Coppervape or the Eleaf Pico Squeeze mod. They suit well too.

Kitsune

Member For 1 Year
You could also try an air duster for cleaning out the post holes. :)

And check all insulators and o rings for any molten plastic or burnt parts, those things can screw badly with your flavor.

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
And check all insulators and o rings for any molten plastic or burnt parts, those things can screw badly with your flavor.

:facepalm: On my part. I ought to have thought of O-rings, plastic insulators as well. :idea:
Well, I'm off for :coffee: and getting the day under way. Good catch @Kitsune . :)

VU Sponsors