Become a Patron!

micro coil help

jsr27

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
What's the pros and coins of using a smaller micro coil? Does it Vape better than a larger diameter?

UncleRJ

Will write reviews for Beer!
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
Well, I like using them because they are just so damn easy to install wick in. And they last.

I just did a dry burn and installed a new wick in a coil I built about 3 weeks ago. I will replace it in another week just because I don't want to run the risk that it will finally die while I am out and about.

And they do produce a very respectable amount of vapor and flavor as well.

EthelMaltol

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Wow, I am so happy! Thanks to the wonderful people on this forum, I was finally able to make a great microcoil for my protank! I rolled it on one of the blunt needle bottle covers. It came out at .8 ohms. It did take a while to get the proper amount of wicking, but I played around with it and did it! I used rayon and used a rayon flavor wick. But, it does depend on your application. The small ones work great for these small heads. What are you trying it install it into?

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Ya, it depends on your application.

I've made "nano" coils that just lie on a bed of wicking for drippers, and it's nice because changing the bedding is super easy.
I've also made pretty small (1.4-1.8mm) coils for my Aqua RTA's because of the small amount of room on the deck.

I've have made 3mm huge-azz coils for drippers and Genesis and about everything in-between.

Just depends on your device, the room you have and what you want from it. :)

jsr27

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Hey thanks for the info. Im using a vamo 5 and using a pro tank. What kind of coil will give me more flavor? Can you recommend a certain diameter?

VapedCrusader

Custard Junkie
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Wicking on the protank rebuilts is always the problem I have too..I think I have enough, but then it leaks - so I guess more and better? (unlike a kayfun) I gave up because I haven't had time but I plan on trying again soon

jsr27

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I'm trying to get 2.0 ohms from using 32ga twisted kanthal or a protank using a medium sized paper clip. They are nano or super nano I guess. Is wrapping them on a medium paper clip so what would that be called. Any help is appreciated

VapedCrusader

Custard Junkie
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I've never heard of using a paper clip... I always use drill bits (and I think a lot of people use screwdrivers) - I use 1.56mm - 2mm drillbits to wrap my coils using RBA's. with 28g wire - 7 wraps gets me around 1.2-1.3 ohms

EthelMaltol

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
A paper clip should be about the same as a needle tip. They are way smaller than a drill bit, or screwdriver. I didn't think I would be able to thread it, using such a tightly wrapped coil. I found that rayon seemed to work better than cotton, but either one is fine. The real trick is getting the amount just right. You do need a small piece to be able to thread it through. Then, a flavor wick on top, so it won't leak. I had to change my wicking about 4 times, but I did get it working great. Even at .8 ohms, it has no problem keeping up with chain vaping, but that is with a thinner liquid. I am about to try another one. You probably want a thinner wire like 30 or 32 ga. It needs to fit in the grommets, thicker is harder. If you check out Pegasus Vape Academy on youtube, he has a lot of videos on building the proper coil. I think he calls it luxury vaping. You want to maximixe your experience.

Try a vertical coil! Just pack your cotton around the wick. Straight airflow through center of coil. Works great. Just be careful not to short a coil lead when you're running your leads down and putting the insulator and positive pin back.

EthelMaltol

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I believe you can do a vertical coil on a protank head, I've never done one. The paperclip method should work well, it just takes a little practice.

VU Sponsors