Become a Patron!

Microsoft goes golfing -- PGA Tour to utilize Windows 10, Azure, Surface, Lumia and Office

VUBot

Staff member
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Vape Media
golflady-600x600.jpg

While I am not a hardcore sports nut, I am a fan of many teams, like the Mets, Knicks, Islanders and Jets. Truth be told, I can enjoy spectating almost any sport -- including bowling and curling -- with the only exception being golf. Don't get me wrong, I recognize the skill, and respect the participants, but holy cow -- it is boring.

Not everyone feels the way I do, obviously, as golf has its fans -- hey, someone must be watching it if they keep putting it on TV, right? Believe it or not, I am actually interested in the PGA Tour now -- not as a sports fan, but as a tech nerd. You see, the PGA Tour has decided to leverage Microsoft technologies to enhance the golf experience for fans and employees alike. The partnership will last three years. Wise move, PGA.

"Over the next several months, the PGA TOUR is primed to adopt Windows 10, Microsoft Azure and Microsoft Office to make data analysis easier to interpret and understand for every golf fan, as well as players and broadcast commentators. Microsoft will create innovative solutions by helping the PGA TOUR analyze information faster and more efficiently, giving fans instant access to insight about players, courses and conditions", says Microsoft.

The Windows-maker further explains, "there are several technology integrations underway, including the development of new apps for the latest Microsoft devices and platforms across Windows 10, Surface and Microsoft’s Lumia phones. Microsoft will also utilize the 80,000-plus hours of PGA TOUR library footage and other information to deliver this content to fans and commentators in new and engaging ways".

Windows 10 will even become "The Official Operating System of the PGA TOUR and Champions Tour". This is a perfect example of a win/win deal, as Microsoft scores a prestigious partner with affluent fans, while the PGA Tour gains access to brilliant solutions like Azure, Windows 10 and Office 365. The big winners, however, are the fans who will benefit from player information and new apps.

Are you a golf fan? Did the PGA Tour make a smart decision? Tell me in the comments.

Photo credit: Chinaview / Shutterstock

_O-LhJNuaF4

Continue reading...

VU Sponsors