Midknight's Portal

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Good morning!

Good morning! :)

morning-coffee-message-hd-wallpaper.jpg

Nice here today, high of 60 and sunny.
But I gotta do the Dollar Tree / Petco trek soon today because it's supposed to rain all the rest of the week. Ack!

Carrying cat food and litter in rain = Nope.

Artemis

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Have fun! It's raining here. I wanted to grill out some burgers. I still might do it using a umbrella. I have grilled out during snow storms. It's one of my favorite things to do. I have been hinting to the hubs I could really use this new grill that is a griddle outdoor station. This one is at Menards but I'm still trying to convince hubs I need it. He doesn't like me to cook bacon in the house. I told him this would be perfect and a value purchase. I need to look at other brands etc.

1517_28Griddle_nofood.jpg

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Have fun! It's raining here. I wanted to grill out some burgers. I still might do it using a umbrella. I have grilled out during snow storms. It's one of my favorite things to do. I have been hinting to the hubs I could really use this new grill that is a griddle outdoor station. This one is at Menards but I'm still trying to convince hubs I need it. He doesn't like me to cook bacon in the house. I told him this would be perfect and a value purchase. I need to look at other brands etc.

Bake the bacon in the oven...it'll be awesome. It's the easiest way for perfect bacon. :D

OFC, I'd want that grill too..teehee.
Alas, I have no 'outdoors', just have a CI grill pan and a good 'ol 1970s hood fan.

PS, I made it back from the journey, needed some capsaicin "arthritis rub" for the hands though.
The damn plastic bags about cut my fingers off carrying 20+ lbs in each hand for six blocks. :gaah:

Artemis

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Bake the bacon in the oven...it'll be awesome. It's the easiest way for perfect bacon. :D

Alas, I have no 'outdoors', just have a CI grill pan and a good 'ol 1970s hood fan.

PS, I made it back from the journey, needed some capsaicin "arthritis rub" for the hands though.
The damn plastic bags about cut my fingers off carrying 20+ lbs in each hand for six blocks. :gaah:
I have cooked bacon in the oven (he still complains). This grill would be my low carb dream of cooking mass quantities of meat stuff. :)
I hate plastic bags. That is a lot to carry. I picked up a 50lb bag of bird food last week and think I damaged my left shoulder. I'm such a wimp.

midknight420

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years

I've never used a gas grill at home before, just old fashioned wood chips and charcoal. My cousin want me to grill out for him for his birthday this weekend. He says I make some of the best home grilled burgers he's tasted LOL. I'm not so sure about that, but I'll take the complement.

Sent from my LGMP450 using Tapatalk

midknight420

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years

I didn't know there was a capsaicin arthritis rub, doesit work well?

Artemis

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I've never used a gas grill at home before, just old fashioned wood chips and charcoal. My cousin want me to grill out for him for his birthday this weekend. He says I make some of the best home grilled burgers he's tasted LOL. I'm not so sure about that, but I'll take the complement.

I love grilling out. If I had to use charcoal I would lose a lot of weight. :) I'm grilling out burgers (mix of 100% Turkey breast with ground pork) I'm thinking a spicy Italian blend with onions/peppers as well.

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Yup, capsaicin is often used in medicine for pain and such, they use it in brain surgery too. Those Carolina Reapers? He originally concocted those up for the pharma doods who wanted more bang for the buck for a natural Capsaicin source. Also are tasty. :D

That stuff does interesting things to the CNS and particularly the pain receptors, making it very useful. It also helps as an source of antioxidants, a natural endorphin cause, with circulation, headaches/migraines, and blood pressure.

I bet Artemis knows about these things too from her work, eh?

Last edited:

Artemis

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Yup, capsaicin is often used in medicine for pain and such, they use it in brain surgery too. Those Carolina Reapers? He originally concocted those up for the pharma doods who wanted more bang for the buck for a natural Capsaicin source. Also are tasty. :D

That stuff does interesting things to the CNS and particularly the pain receptors, making it very useful. It also helps with circulation and blood pressure.

Capsasicin is not used as much as Icy hot(liability issue). It works but with delicate older folks they tend to get irritated skin fast from capsicum. Lidoderm and patches are used the most in a rehab/nursing environment. TMI

midknight420

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I love grilling out. If I had to use charcoal I would lose a lot of weight. :) I'm grilling out burgers (mix of 100% Turkey breast with ground pork) I'm thinking a spicy Italian blend with onions/peppers as well.
Well, past of the secret to my burgers is the wood chips. Different wood gives different flavors, but I'm sure you already know that. I use different woods depending on my whims. Sometimes I'll use pine, mosquite (pretty sure I spelled that wrong LOL), pecan, cedar. I never know till I'm looking at them at the store.

midknight420

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years

That stuff does interesting things to the CNS and particularly the pain receptors, making it very useful. It also helps as an source of antioxidants, a natural endorphin cause, with circulation, headaches/migraines, and blood pressure.

Hmm, I'm intrigued. Where can I find this stuff. I would love to try it with my shoulders myself. They hurt me all the time.

Artemis

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Well, past of the secret to my burgers is the wood chips. Different wood gives different flavors, but I'm sure you already know that. I use different woods depending on my whims. Sometimes I'll use pine, mosquite (pretty sure I spelled that wrong LOL), pecan, cedar. I never know till I'm looking at them at the store.

I cook out too much so I do it without the wood flavors. I have done apple wood and its really tasty. I would go broke with my outdoor cooking habit. :)

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years

PINE?? Dood...pine is not for grillin' man. IMHO.
You want hardwoods, not soft sappy woods.

midknight420

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I cook out too much so I do it without the wood flavors. I have done apple wood and its really tasty. I would go broke with my outdoor cooking habit. :)
I understand that. I wish I had time to cook out like that. I work 6 days a week. I miss cooking out like I used to. My wife loves thesmell on my clothes when I do too.

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I've only done that once while I was camping. I was surprised that it actually worked well LOL. Who would have thought that?

Well ok, that's acceptable..lol! I live in the Evergreen state and worked Conservation Corps as a teen, I know mah pine. :D

midknight420

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Well ok, that's acceptable..lol! I live in the Evergreen state and worked Conservation Corps as a teen, I know mah pine. :D
I know my way around a grill well, but love learning new methods and trying new ideas. Variety is the spice of life and all that jazz :)

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Here's one i bet ya haven't done....the night i got Tiki, my buddy was grillin' in -10F.
'Cus he's a chef, a general contractor and an idjit.

https://imgur.com/a/487dJ

We used some fallen Black Walnut branches from his tree in the back yard because he ran outa chips. Yes we googled it to ascertain it wouldn't kill us as that tree is kinda poisonous. But, the wood was damp from the snow once it warmed up, so we improvised...I blame booze and determination...we're crayzee mofos.

(yes that canister was moved...boom is bad)

Ever work a forge? We used that principle of forced air heating to flambe that shit. Convection oven, Tim Allen style.

Ended up being awesome grilled/smoked steaks. And, I got a Tiki. :D

*note the date: Friday the 13th, February of 2012. Yeehaw...

Last edited:

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
A couple things from today:

Big scary AMZ box, eh? :huh:

Yeah, not so much. This is how they shipped my 5-pack of CR2 batteries for my camera.
I guess air makes good padding now?? :crazy:

Also, I made some Bagel "Pizza" for lunch:

It was nommers. :)

Artemis

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I took my cast iron skillet and heated up the gas grill to cook BACON! I need to find a griddle for the grill. I'm waiting for this grill to die so I can get the Blackstone.

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Good news, bad news for the day.

Bad news: the $25 worth in two kinds of med/treats I'd bought for Tiki, she won't eat them.
The good news: even though it was close to the 60-day cutoff, Petco gave me a full refund on 'em. :)

midknight420

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Aye, but true hilarity is the AMZ box with the batteries...
Ya man, I'm not surprised in the least though LOL. I'm received some pretty hilarious packaging in the mail haha

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
haha, I just take after my Mom. Her coffee could give someone a heart attack.

I used to be a terrible coffee wimp. Could look down through my coffee and see the bottom of my cup. Finally found some I like that has a little more oomph to it, but strong coffee fans would still think it's dishwater, I'm sure.

My son, omg, I need Tums after I drink what he calls coffee. I think it's battery acid and motor oil in disguise. lol Maybe mixed up with some Wonder Flavors Brazilian! Yeah, @wildgypsy70 , I went there. :)

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
Me too. If I had my way the whole kitchen would be antique/retro, including utensils and such as wall art :D
My scoop is in better shape that ebay's one. Still has some white paint between the ridges :banana: LOL

I was joined at the hip to my mother's oldest sister growing up. She married right before WWII and her hubbs was in Europe in the service. A lot of household stuff she had sitting around has somehow been replicated all over my house! Kitchen stuff, especially cooking utensils, crockery, glassware, flatware (Ekco, Homer Laughin, McCoy, Fire King Jadeite, Royal China, Jeanette glass, and older Towle and Rogers flatware), ashtrays, artwork, Fenton glass, jewelry boxes, I love and collect lots of mid-century stuff. Amazing how you can run across things you remember from early childhood in antique stores, flea markets, thrift stores, but the best by far has been eBay!

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Coffee Maker Commits Suicide, Arrgh!

My old hand-me-down 1990s drip-coffeemaker has been running kinda slow lately, so I ran a standard white vinegar rinse through it this morning. No biggie, eh? Wrong.

Was watching news in the BR when I heard a big *POP* sound. Rut roh...:huh:

Ran into the kitchen and there was 12 cups of hot vinegar water running all over my counter, down my cabinets and puddling on the floor. :gaah::cuss2:

No idea what the frak went wrong, it wasn't the carafe as it was leaking from inside the machine.
Unplugged it OFC so I didn't blow any breakers or worse in the 1970s wiring, then tossed the $#@%& thing.
Kept the carafe and perm filter though.

Took me ages to mop up the mess, but got it dealt with. Nothing got ruined, thankfully. If the water had gone towards the wall and not towards the front, bad things would of happened in a hurry.

So, now using the carafe for my Melitta pour-over coffee. Always have backups, kids. ;)

IMG_20190410_083036.jpg

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon

My old hand-me-down 1990s drip-coffeemaker has been running kinda slow lately, so I ran a standard white vinegar rinse through it this morning. No biggie, eh? Wrong.

Ran into the kitchen and there was 12 cups of hot vinegar water running all over my counter, down my cabinets and puddling on the floor. :gaah::cuss2:

No idea what the frak went wrong, it wasn't the carafe as it was leaking from inside the machine.
Unplugged it OFC so I didn't blow any breakers or worse in the 1970s wiring, then tossed the $#@%& thing.

Took me ages to mop up the mess, but got it dealt with. Nothing got ruined, thankfully. If the water had gone towards the wall and not towards the front, bad things would of happened in a hurry.

So, now using the carafe for my Melitta pour-over coffee. Always have backups, kids. ;)

View attachment 135686

Can't really like that post. But this is when an $8.00 aluminum camp percolator would come in handy. Or a 1966 Corning Ware percolator.

Stove-top percolators make fabulous coffee. Imo, anyway.

midknight420

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years

View attachment 135686
Damn brother. When it rains, it pours. I'm wanting to get my hands on a French press. I'm just glad that you had something for a backup.

midknight420

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I'm needing prayers and thoughts for my wife. She is going to have to have surgery on her eyes. As of now, she is legally blind. She is only 40 years old too. I'm just hoping that the surgery will help. I don't expect it to give her 20/15 vision or anything, but hope it will at least give her some vision to work with.

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
I'm needing prayers and thoughts for my wife. She is going to have to have surgery on her eyes. As of now, she is legally blind. She is only 40 years old too. I'm just hoping that the surgery will help. I don't expect it to give her 20/15 vision or anything, but hope it will at least give her some vision to work with.

Sending my best your way for a good outcome for your wife and minimal stress and worries for both of you. Neither the patient nor the caretaker have an easy go of it in times like this. Will be thinking about you, wishing you all well.

MrMeowgi

The Vapin' Drummer
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years

Well wishes for her man

VU Sponsors