Become a Patron!

Midknight's Portal

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I'm needing prayers and thoughts for my wife. She is going to have to have surgery on her eyes. As of now, she is legally blind. She is only 40 years old too. I'm just hoping that the surgery will help. I don't expect it to give her 20/15 vision or anything, but hope it will at least give her some vision to work with.

Sent from my LGMP450 using Tapatalk

Best wishes for you two man, I know how it is being legally blind with my own -12/-13 Spherical going on.
I wasn't aware of any surgery that could correct it though, I'm glad she found something and hope for a good outcome for her. :)

Artemis

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I'm needing prayers and thoughts for my wife. She is going to have to have surgery on her eyes. As of now, she is legally blind. She is only 40 years old too. I'm just hoping that the surgery will help. I don't expect it to give her 20/15 vision or anything, but hope it will at least give her some vision to work with.

It should help. Positive thoughts/prayers sent your way.

midknight420

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Thank you so much to all of you. What they said at the doctor is that she has a detached retina in both eyes. And hemorrhaging in both as well. So they are going to drain the blood from both eyes and reattach the retinas. There's a chance that the surgery won't work, but of course we are hoping for the best

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Simple brunch today for golf-watching.

ZQmr793.jpg

• Sourdough English muffin, spread with scant mayo mixed with hab sauce and toasted.
  • Some thin-sliced Prem, lightly fried
  • Tillamook cheddar
  • One egg, scrambled. Topped with a sprinkle of Morita chipotle powder.

Last edited:

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Picked up a cheap/older interim coffeemaker for $3 at the thrift store.
This model: https://www.hamiltonbeach.com/12-cup-coffee-maker-with-programmable-clock-49615

IMG_5353.jpg

It cleaned up nicely and works just fine. A bit slow (set to "bold flavor", 5min for the 4C setting, about 10-12min for a 10C pot), but until I find a deal on a "nice" one, it's ok. :)

I got five high quality cotton pillowcases: 4 king for me and 1 regular for Tiki's pillow/launch pad.
OFC, the one I found for her is Egyptian cotton, go figure. They were all like $0.50 each.

I stuffed both of the old flat pillows she uses into the one cover and now she has a nice plump pillow/launcher to get on the headboard. Much less slippery and easier for her. Looks better too. :)

Also got:
  • A large George Foreman grill. The original model I have is awesome, but weeny so it doesn't get used much.
  • A vintage 18/8 stainless steel serving tray. This sucka is heavy and once cleaned up is gleaming. I got it to use as a drip tray for the grill (and for snax) but it's almost too nice..hehe.
  • A super cool vintage Timex SC-1 LED digital bathroom scale, made in Taiwan. It works! Can't find squat for infos on it since it pre-dates the dang WWW. It looks late 70s-early 80s though...takes one 9v battery...lol.
  • A cool little forced-air mini-space heater. Perfect for the bedroom when it's cold. It's 1-touch programmable and has a thermostat too.
  • Nice pair of Union Bay dark camo cargo shorts that fit. (retail is $25)
  • Some flexible/stacking Rubbermaid ice trays in perfect condition for fifty cents each.
  • (not pictured) a nice baking sheet and a big enameled drip pan for roasting, I didn't have one.
All for $20.
Fri/Sat/Sun are 50% off everything in the store except consignment stuff...woohoo!

The nice lady cashier even just gave me a nylon backpack to carry my booty to the bustop because they only have old grocery bags for purchases. How cool is that?

An awesome afternoon's outing. :D

IMG_5348.jpg IMG_5347.jpg IMG_5350.jpg IMG_5352.jpg

Last edited:

midknight420

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Picked up a cheap/older interim coffeemaker for $3 at the thrift store.
This model: https://www.hamiltonbeach.com/12-cup-coffee-maker-with-programmable-clock-49615

View attachment 136156

It cleaned up nicely and works just fine. A bit slow (set to "bold flavor", 5min for the 4C setting, about 10-12min for a 10C pot), but until I find a deal on a "nice" one, it's ok. :)

I got five high quality cotton pillowcases: 4 king for me and 1 regular for Tiki's pillow/launch pad.
OFC, the one I found for her is Egyptian cotton, go figure. They were all like $0.50 each.

I stuffed both of the old flat pillows she uses into the one cover and now she has a nice plump pillow/launcher to get on the headboard. Much less slippery and easier for her. Looks better too. :)

Also got:
  • A large George Foreman grill. The original model I have is awesome, but weeny so it doesn't get used much.
  • A vintage 18/8 stainless steel serving tray. This sucka is heavy and once cleaned up is gleaming. I got it to use as a drip tray for the grill (and for snax) but it's almost too nice..hehe.
  • A super cool vintage Timex SC-1 LED digital bathroom scale, made in Taiwan. It works! Can't find squat for infos on it since it pre-dates the dang WWW. It looks late 70s-early 80s though...takes one 9v battery...lol.
  • A cool little forced-air mini-space heater. Perfect for the bedroom when it's cold. It's 1-touch programmable and has a thermostat too.
  • Nice pair of Union Bay dark camo cargo shorts that fit. (retail is $25)
  • Some flexible/stacking Rubbermaid ice trays in perfect condition for fifty cents each.
  • (not pictured) a nice baking sheet and a big enameled drip pan for roasting, I didn't have one.
All for $20.
Fri/Sat/Sun are 50% off everything in the store except consignment stuff...woohoo!

The nice lady cashier even just gave me a nylon backpack to carry my booty to the bustop because they only have old grocery bags for purchases. How cool is that?

An awesome afternoon's outing. :D

View attachment 136160 View attachment 136159 View attachment 136158 View attachment 136157
That's a seriously nice haul brother. I really need to hit the thrift stores here. My wife and I haven't hit them up in forever. I really miss doing that

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Tested the big George Foreman out, it does pretty damn good.
Used a thick pork sausage patty and a thin hamburger patty to see how it'd deal with 'em..

Cooked 'em both FAST, about perfectly, and noticeably less greasy than pan-fried. Not bad for $2.50.
Nearly zero clean up too unless ya count a couple paper towels. That big SS tray worked great too.

Made myself an epic sausage 'n queso sammich with Dave's Devil's Spit pickles and 1000-Island dressing on a hoagie roll.. :D

IMG_0276-2.jpg IMG_0281-2.jpg IMG_0280-2.jpg IMG_0279-2.jpg IMG_0282-2.jpg

No dishes were done or even needed. :bingo:

Last edited:

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
That's a seriously nice haul brother. I really need to hit the thrift stores here. My wife and I haven't hit them up in forever. I really miss doing that

Yeah man, I love the hunt. :D
And, paying pennies on the retail dollar for nice things.

At 8am, I'll be walking over to the Discount Store that was closed yesterday to see if they still have the high-end ex-Costco coffee makers still.
Last I was there, they had a $180 Bonavita for like $30.

midknight420

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I fired up the grill last night after work. Grillin' at 9pm haha. Made up some burgers, some thin steaks so the cooked fast and some brats. So good. Nothing like grillin' in the dark. What can I say? I'll take any excuse I can to grill :)

midknight420

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Yeah man, I love the hunt. :D
And, paying pennies on the retail dollar for nice things.

At 8am, I'll be walking over to the Discount Store that was closed yesterday to see if they still have the high-end ex-Costco coffee makers still.
Last I was there, they had a $180 Bonavita for like $30.
That's a heckof a steal. I want to find me a FP. Just talked to the wife. Thinking that well go check some stores out next payday. Can't till then. Bills killed us this time around sadly.

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I fired up the grill last night after work. Grillin' at 9pm haha. Made up some burgers, some thin steaks so the cooked fast and some brats. So good. Nothing like grillin' in the dark. What can I say? I'll take any excuse I can to grill :)

uFio5.jpg

Hella yeah. :D

Nice thing about the Foreman is the neatly drained fat, I can "grill" on the kitchen counter, nearly no mess and it is hot before I even get the patties made. And it's big!
I'm in a 1BR Apt with no dishwasher and a big electric bill, so all this matters. ;-)

Last edited:

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
That's a heckof a steal. I want to find me a FP. Just talked to the wife. Thinking that well go check some stores out next payday. Can't till then. Bills killed us this time around sadly.

This is what I have: https://www.bodum.com/us/en/11734-16-chambord

A Bodum Brazil is plastic and less breakable, also works well. There are techniques and care needed to have one, but it's arguably some of the best coffee.

But, just shoving some wal-mart drip-grind coffee in there ain't gonna be good. FP takes a far larger grind to be effective. Pre-ground coffee is never going to be very good, as coffee oxidizes within seconds of being ground.

Fresh whole beans and even a blade grinder will work. Burr grinders are much better though at creating uniform particles. More "fines" in a grind equals more sediment and uneven results.

https://ineedcoffee.com/coffee-grind-chart/

Last edited:

midknight420

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
This is what I have: https://www.bodum.com/us/en/11734-16-chambord

A Brazil is plastic and less breakable, also works well. There are techniques and care needed to have one, but it's arguably some of the best coffee.

But, just shoving some wal-mart drip-grind coffee in there ain't gonna be good. FP takes a far larger grind to be effective. Pre-ground coffee is never going to be very good, as coffee oxidizes within seconds of being ground.

Fresh whole beans and even a blade grinder will work. Burr grinders are much better though at creating uniform particles. More "fines" in a grind equals more sediment and uneven results.

https://ineedcoffee.com/coffee-grind-chart/
I was just talking with mom about the fp, she'd never seen one. She loves coffee as much as we do. Think it's time to educate her what coffee can really be haha.

midknight420

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
That's wild man.
I first had FP coffee in the late 80s when it all kicked off here in the NW. Long before there was a damn Starbucks. ;)
Starbucks, haha. I thought we were talking coffee LOL.

But seriously, there is nothing like a fp coffee. I've just never owned one. That will change.

I've grown a love for cold brew too. It's a very interesting coffee experience. I had a cup of cold brew and it was amazing. When I first heard about it I said, "Cold coffee? No thanks." The guy convinced me to try it, and wow. He made it at home and brought it to work.

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
On a happier note, got some deals on stuff I needed for the warmer weather. ;)

cleardot.gif

I don't have a lighter-weight blanket or comforter that fits the queen bed I have., which sucks. The big maroon fleece monster I have had the last few years is getting a bit worn and is too warm now. So, I went to the Discount store and got a beautiful and plush coffee-colored Queen bedspread for $13.

IMG_5355.jpg

It's about the right weight, kinda like a couch throw but much BIGGER.
Retail price for it on AMZ is $40.00.

Also snagged a pair of nice Kirkland spandex-poly blend shorts, some classic Adidas sweat pants, a sports-type undergarment thing for comfy sleepwear, and the pièce de résistance: a Calvin Klein 100% Merino wool summer-weight V-neck pullover in a great color. About $45 at AMZ.

IMG_5360.jpg

All of it came to $32 including tax.

1f911.png

Last edited:

midknight420

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
On a happier note, got some deals on stuff I needed for the warmer weather. ;)

cleardot.gif

I don't have a lighter-weight blanket or comforter that fits the queen bed I have., which sucks. The big maroon fleece monster I have had the last few years is getting a bit worn and is too warm now. So, I went to the Discount store and got a beautiful and plush coffee-colored Queen bedspread for $13.

View attachment 136271

It's about the right weight, kinda like a couch throw but much BIGGER.
Retail price for it on AMZ is $40.00.

Also snagged a pair of nice Kirkland spandex-poly blend shorts, some classic Adidas sweat pants, a sports-type undergarment thing for comfy sleepwear, and the pièce de résistance: a Calvin Klein 100% Merino wool summer-weight V-neck pullover in a great color. About $45 at AMZ.

View attachment 136270

All of it came to $32 including tax.

View attachment 136274
That's awesome brother. We need a lighter comforter for our bed too. Didn't even think about it till I saw yours just now.

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
That's awesome brother. We need a lighter comforter for our bed too. Didn't even think about it till I saw yours just now.

Yeah, it's that odd time of year (like fall) when it's 60s for a high but still 35-40 at night...kinda in-between.
When it's true summer weather, a flannel sheet is plenty for covers, but not just yet. I'd much rather use a lighter weight blanket then turn up the dang electric baseboard heat in April. ;).

midknight420

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Yeah, it's that odd time of year (like fall) when it's 60s for a high but still 35-40 at night...kinda in-between.
When it's true summer weather, a flannel sheet is plenty for covers, but not just yet. I'd much rather use a lighter weight blanket then turn up the dang electric baseboard heat in April. ;).
I have to have something decent even in the summer. My wife freezes me out at night. She gets hot easy and I'm just the opposite haha.

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
@CaFF and @midnight420 I've recently changed the way I make the bed to use a technique hotels use called "triple sheeting." Am surprised how much I like it.

What I've done is added a "decorative" top sheet instead of a comforter, with a lightweight cotton or fleece blanket between the middle and top sheets. The bed is layered as (1) bottom fitted sheet, (2) first flat sheet, (3) cotton or fleece blanket, (4) top decorative flat sheet.

Somehow this creates a lighter weight cover that is warm when you need warmth, but not too heavy. It's also super easy to make the bed, basically you can grab those top three pieces, flip them up toward the head of the bed, and then just straighten the edges and you're done.

@CaFF in thrift stores sometimes you can find awesome single flat sheets that would make a great top sheet to be used with this technique. There are some really nice Ralph Lauren, Nautica, Waverly, and other expensive brands of sheets that have terrific patterns and the weave, weight, and quality are outstanding. You can also mix and match florals and thin stripes, or stripes and gingham or other checks, in similar color families. There are a lot of options and it's very inexpensive to do using a set of sheets you already have as a place to start.

I did buy queen flat sheets to use as the top sheet on my full-size bed, just so they'd be sure to cover the middle sheet and the blanket.

Last edited:

Artemis

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Drinking coffee right now. I had about 5 hours of sleep. The cats decided to wake me up so they could go back to sleep. I had a wild weekend at work. The State inspectors showed up on Sunday. Most of the staff was freaking out. I don't freak out. They are doing their job to protect medicare/medicaid funding and the patients effected by the care they obtain (corporations mostly own health care).

midknight420

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
@CaFF and @midnight420 I've recently changed the way I make the bed to use a technique hotels use called "triple sheeting." Am surprised how much I like it.

What I've done is added a "decorative" top sheet instead of a comforter, with a lightweight cotton or fleece blanket between the middle and top sheets. The bed is layered as (1) bottom fitted sheet, (2) first flat sheet, (3) cotton or fleece blanket, (4) top decorative flat sheet.

Somehow this creates a lighter weight cover that is warm when you need warmth, but not too heavy. It's also super easy to make the bed, basically you can grab those top three pieces, flip them up toward the head of the bed, and then just straighten the edges and you're done.

@CaFF in thrift stores sometimes you can find awesome single flat sheets that would make a great top sheet to be used with this technique. There are some really nice Ralph Lauren, Nautica, Waverly, and other expensive brands of sheets that have terrific patterns and the weave, weight, and quality are outstanding. You can also mix and match florals and thin stripes, or stripes and gingham or other checks, in similar color families. There are a lot of options and it's very inexpensive to do using a set of sheets you already have as a place to start.

I did buy queen flat sheets to use as the top sheet on my full-size bed, just so they'd be sure to cover the middle sheet and the blanket.
That's an awesome idea. I'll talk to my wife about doing this. Then maybe she can sleep a little better.

midknight420

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Drinking coffee right now. I had about 5 hours of sleep. The cats decided to wake me up so they could go back to sleep. I had a wild weekend at work. The State inspectors showed up on Sunday. Most of the staff was freaking out. I don't freak out. They are doing their job to protect medicare/medicaid funding and the patients effected by the care they obtain (corporations mostly own health care).
Cats are so demanding. "Wake up so I can sleep." I swear that's how they think LOL

Last edited:

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years

That's a good plan, basic layering but for a bed instead of clothing. :D

ATM, I'm still using my awesome flannel sheets with that new bedspread and it's about right. Those sheets are 100% cotton and stay pretty cool but still warm at night. Tiki and I both generate a lot of heat and she likes to curl up next to me, so that's good in winter but not so much in warmer times.

Had to return some treats I'd bought for Tiki this morning as she ain't eating much these days. Pickier than before and can't see or smell worth a damn now.. Fortunately, she still likes the Greenies, Temptations and her chicken breast bits I cook for her. Got to keep her weight up, she's lost weight and mass since going on the hyperthyroid pills.

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
View attachment 136320Scooterboy View attachment 136319 One of the hell cats! Willow

Nice. :D

I remember when Tiki looked like Scooterboy, now she's more like half of 'em. Vets say she is still really healthy though for a 10-12yo cat.

Ever try to wipe a cat's nose 'cuz it was crusted up and stuffy? It is not easy...lol.
Dang 'ol girl can't see for shit and keeps sticking her nose right INTO her food dish...then sneezing her ass off...SMH...

I swear, I'm turning into a caregiver for a cat. :grumpy:

On the fun side, she likes getting hugs now.
It seems to re-assure her when she gets weirded out sometimes. She'll sit up on her dresser perch and merrow at me. Up there, she's about my height standing up so I just put my arms around her, she'll put her head on my shoulder, and I give huggggz 4 Tiki. Trippy, but Awwww...

Last edited:

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
Cats can become tricky to care for as they get older. My old red tabby, Miyu, suddenly stopped eating. All I could get into him was the gravy part of wet cat food that was soaked in gravy. He wouldn't drink water or eat his food. Would not even eat tuna. Eventually he wouldn't even have anything to do with the gravy. Ended up taking him to the vet, having every test under the sun, and come to find out he had gotten dehydrated. Vet gave him a couple of units of fluids, sent me home with a rig to give him another unit if he still wasn't eating. I never had to use it.

I was terrified that we were going to lose him then. He had weighed about 15 pounds and lost down to just a little over 12. I know that's still enough for a cat to weigh, but he looked like skin and bones. He had a bigger frame than most cats, think he was perhaps part Maine ****. Had those tufts in his ears and between his toes like Maine Coons have. No extra toes, though.

He lived for another 4 or 5 years after that, was very nearly 19 when he finally died. Bless his heart, he was a good old guy, best cat I ever knew.

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Yuppers, it's a labor sometimes. I did figure out a way to pill her without trouble though.

Using one of these little glass prep dishes from Dollar Tree: https://www.dollartree.com/3frac12-glass-prep-bowls-4ct-sets/186672

Put about a 1/2 tsp. of her wet food in there with a bit of water to make a slurry, then add the crushed pill and mix it together well.
She slurrrrps it all gone. :)

IMG_5367.jpg

I find that keeping that bit separate from her actual food helps. She considers it a treat. ;)

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
My male cat bit my ankle because he wanted to go on his leash outside. He doesn't understand the word "cold".

Well, I can't 'like' that...I hope ya ok. Cat bites are not a minor thing due to the possibility of infections that human immune systems can't handle....be sure to disinfect that if it broke skin. :(

Tiki ain't a biter and she'd been de-clawed in front before I got her, but I've still got a nice scar on my upper thigh from the first time I tried to pick Tiki up after getting her.

Wearing shorts.

She used her powerful still-clawed hind legs and my thigh as a launchpad to fleee-dom. Owies..

Two words: Litter box.

Artemis

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Barely a scratch since I'm wearing soaks. He does this every year. I have taken the cats out already this year. Now they think everyday is a beautiful day. Not! Don't get me started on the claws. I have to almost sit on the cat and catch him sleepy before I can attempt to clip the nails. Willow has never tried any shenanigans with me.

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
So, I made brunch. :)

FL8sFCK.jpg

It is a two-egg pan Fritatta with chopped up fennel, onion, little yellow MX chiles, zucchini, Prem, and garlic. Topped with Tillamook cheddar and chives. ( I only used half of it for this, leaving the other half for later)

Served cut into quarters and placed on top of sourdough English muffin halves toasted with Mexi-cheese for a nice finger-food brekky. Yay, almost no dishes to clean. :D

midknight420

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I wish I could have a car, I miss having one. I can't have one though, my daughter is highly allergic to their dander. Her lungs close up. I had one as a kid that only loved me and hid from anybody else. I miss that sweet baby, she was definitely my kitty haha.

midknight420

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Does anybody follow Jai Haze on YouTube? Sending out prayers for him. His 17 yo daughter committed suicide. Hung herself in her bedroom. I have no words for how I'm feeling for this poor man. So asking for any thoughts and prayers for him and his family.

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Does anybody follow Jai Haze on YouTube? Sending out prayers for him. His 17 yo daughter committed suicide. Hung herself in her bedroom. I have no words for how I'm feeling for this poor man. So asking for any thoughts and prayers for him and his family.

I heard about that, pretty sad. :(

I can't help but wonder if it was somehow exacerbated by the drama-lifestyle and social media presence he has? Couldn't have been easy being his kid. Not to mention his own struggles with depression and other things. Things go in cycles...not to mention genetically.

I know that is true for me and my birth dad; he had a lot of demons and I got most of 'em.

Artemis

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years

I've heard of him but don't follow. What a tragic and horrific event.

VU Sponsors