Become a Patron!

Might be in my head

Anyone try single stand twisting?
For some reason my flavors are more pronounced.

Need a second opinion.

Normal build is a genesis 32g triple twist, but ran out.

Used 28g & 30g non twist, single strand, but muted flavor.

28g single twisted tasted a little better.

Guess the center of the kanthal.

Think of twisting a single strand of hair between two fingers on each hand.

VapingJunkie

Down with the Clown
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
That still makes it twisted two thick. You're just starting with one piece, instead of two. I can't see how this would make any noticeable difference in vape quality.

Sent from the Otter Box around my Galaxy S4.

Single stand not doubled up.

Attachments

• 1405865830532.jpg
    1405865830532.jpg
    739.3 KB · Views: 45
  • 1405866006149.jpg
    1405866006149.jpg
    836.5 KB · Views: 62

VapingJunkie

Down with the Clown
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I still don't see what you're talking about. Can you please elaborate more?

Sent from the Otter Box around my Galaxy S4.

Sure.
Took one strand of 28g kanthal ~1'
Tied a knot on the end, tightened a drill chuck on the knot.
Held the other end with pliers, started the drill.
Went until kanthal broke on plier end or drill end, did this for 2 breaks.
Left with a little less than a foot of kanthal.
Single strand twisted.
Also noticed less shorts on mesh all coils started to glow evenly. Need very little teasing.

Attachments

• 1405868648532.jpg
    1405868648532.jpg
    586.6 KB · Views: 27

jae

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
So... you've twisted a single strand along its length. I had a feeling that's what you meant. I can't see how that would make any difference, but i'm willing to take your word for it.

Sorry for not being clear in the first place. I just wanted to know if someone else had tried this and what their experience was.

UncleRJ

Will write reviews for Beer!
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
If I am right, the end result is two strands of wire twisted together for use as a single "wire" for use as a coil.

DasBlunderbuss

Member For 4 Years
So..... What?
Did it end up coiling up like a tiny, super-compressed spring? Some pictures of the end result may help make sense of this.

chris.ardito.3

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Rip trippers did that same thing. But I forgot why he was doing it.
It was of the first vids I saw of him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pic from earlier today was the end result, one on my genesis.
I was just wondering if anyone tried it. Seems to have made my juice flavor a little more bold, wondering if it was all in my head.

not2coolguy

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I'll just tell you what you want to hear, "it's all in your head". Haha

Chowder

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I don't think it's in your head. In theory, as you twist the single strand, the grain of the wire twists tighter. It compacts, shortens, and probably expands the diameter of the wire. You probably end up with a shorter and slightly wider wire than you originally started with. The wider the diameter, the more surface area the wire has. The more surface area creates more vapors because there is more heated wire in contact with the juice as it vaporizes. Of course, I'll have to try this and mike the wire before and after twisting to confirm this. But none the less, you are changing the dynamics, conductivity/resistance, and structure of the wire when you twist it. It only make sense that you might notice a change in the way it vapes. The only thing I have to say is, "If it's safe, and works for you, then DO IT!"

MacTechVpr

Bronze Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I don't think it's in your head. In theory, as you twist the single strand, the grain of the wire twists tighter. It compacts, shortens, and probably expands the diameter of the wire. You probably end up with a shorter and slightly wider wire than you originally started with. The wider the diameter, the more surface area the wire has. The more surface area creates more vapors because there is more heated wire in contact with the juice as it vaporizes. Of course, I'll have to try this and mike the wire before and after twisting to confirm this. But none the less, you are changing the dynamics, conductivity/resistance, and structure of the wire when you twist it. It only make sense that you might notice a change in the way it vapes. The only thing I have to say is, "If it's safe, and works for you, then DO IT!"

Great answer chowder. I'd save myself the trouble and just get some 31 AWG.

Agree with @Chowder. You're giving it more surface area which will give the added flavor.

You too RM. Just what the fella needs.

Good luck.

:)

Chowder

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Great answer chowder. I'd save myself the trouble and just get some 31 AWG........
:)
Thanks! Hopefully it made some scense....I think????

Warhawk-AVG

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
In the telecommunications industry...a twisted pair is "two conductors" in one, if you fold over the wire...and it snaps...it's still two separate conductors

Silly billy gumdrops :)

Chowder

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
@Warhawk-AVG, while I agree what a twisted pair is, the OP is NOT USING TWO WIRES. He is simply twisting one by itself, in one long length, and without doubling it over. Example: take a rubber band and cut it so you have one long lenth instead of a ring. Now grab the two ends and start to twist the ends in oposit directions to where the length starts to show twists along the length of it. Now keep twisting and notice what happens. the long length starts to become shorter and fatter as the material is compacted by the twisting. That is what the OP has done and it seems to be working for him. Hell, I might even play around and try it with a single strand of 22g and see what happens!

Warhawk-AVG

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
hmmm...creating a helix rather than a strand...interesting

3077helix.jpg

Chowder

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Not quite. Look closly at the pic he provided and you can see the twist marks along the length of the single strand wire he is holding:

1405866006149-jpg.2148

You can also see that the wire does not have a smooth surface after the twisting. You can see the "tiger stripes" like a candy cane due to the twisting. This increases the surface area in contact with the wick. He then uses this twisted single strand to make his coil in a normal fashion.

VU Sponsors