Become a Patron!

Mixing a pg/vg/nic base

Ronge

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Hi all! I'm only a couple of months into diy:ing and up until now I've been using ready-mixed bases at 20 pg/80 vg/6 mg nic. I've now decided to start making my own bases and to make things simpler I would like to make about 250ml at a time, to allow for easier mixing in smaller quantities (just add flavors). So, my question is how do I do this the best way, or rather, how do you guys do it? I've read that some account for flavor percentages and some don't. I've no idea how the pre-mixed base I used to buy was made. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Speaking of appreciation, I just have to say that I've learned so much from you guys here and especially HIC with his explanations on how flavors work together and so on, it's awesome to a new guy like me! People here seem to be really friendly and helpful and the overall vibe is fantastic! Hope I can contribute in some way in the future!

/ Daniel

HeadInClouds

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Vape Media
Unlisted Vendor
What nic strength will you be buying?
With that one other bit of info, and knowing (assuming) you want 80/20 VG/PG and 6mg/ml nic strength, we can tell you just how to do it.

Ronge

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Thanks for your response HIC. The nic I have is 72mg. I read the other day that some people mix a few bases leaving room for a certain percentage of flavors which seems like the best way so far. And yes, I would like to end up as close to that ratio of pg/vg as possible :)

Ronge

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
BigNasty, seems like I left out some valuable details. Nic is vg and I'm usually around 13-19% flavor, unless it's one of HIC's recipes ;)

BigNasty

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
So a 6 mg base 80/20 mix is going to look like
20.83 ml nic
50 ml pg
rest vg.
This does not consider the flavoring pg factor at all, this is just for a 250 plain nic mix.

If this calc is off I am sure someone will left me know.

Ronge

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Thanks! That's exactly what I did with my first self-mixed base but it felt weird since after adding all the flavors (to a 20ml sample) at about 19%, the ratios were a bit off. I guess leaving room for about 15% of flavors might not be such a bad idea, even if the end result would vary a little bit.

Frankm

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I'm wanting to do the same thing. My plan is to just leave out the 20% pg and add the pg when making a bottle. My nic is vg. My base bottle for my wife would just be the 80% vg with nic. How can I be sure the nic is mix in evenly since her base is all vg?

VU Sponsors