Become a Patron!

Mixing Base

KhanSW

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
So I've been vaping since 2011, and back then I loved rebuildables even though most of them were in pain in the rear (GG Ithaka and Penelope I'm looking at you), where as others were not so bad (GP spheroid). But over time I slowly drifted towards sub-ohm tanks with pre-built coils.

Well just recently I've gotten back into rebuildables and have renewed my love for them, scratching my head wondering why I ever drifted away. And this got me to thinking why have I never tried or gotten into the DIY e liquid. So here I am getting ready to dip my toes into trying it and I am wondering from those that have been doing it for some time if it's worth it to start out with the pre-mixed bases as this would alleviate my need to add my own nicotine.

Is there a downfall to starting this way? Are the mixed bases any good? Any tips to a veteran vapor but DIY eliquid virgin? Seriously anything I should be aware of that would keep me from starting this way?

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I started DIY about a year ago, I was shocked at how just randomly tossing various flavors together tasted good.

It's all trial-error, but certainly worth the effort. The money savings is the best part.

There are so many proven DIY recipes online it's shocking. Get yourself a scale to mix, it saves cleanup, very actuate too. I use the tools available at http://e-liquid-recipes.com/ and http://e-liquid-recipes.com/create

After you have a pretty good flavor stash, you can save all the flavor concentrates you buy on that website, then click "What Can I Make"...it's mind blowing....:wave:

They have a good community forum, with MANY MANY helpful folks. They answer questions quickly, politely with courtesy and encouragement....:)

gopher_byrd

Cranky Old Fart
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
I mix using separate PG, VG, and 100 mg nic in PG. This way is less expensive in the long run and just a little bit more complicated than using a pre-mixed base.

Another thing to consider is your prefered nic level. For example, if you vape at 3 mg and buy 3 mg premix, when you add flavors you will also drop your nic level. If being precise on your nic level is not a big deal then a premix would be a little bit easier. Also your PG/VG level will be a little off as well since most flavors are PG based.

Actually, I do use a premix, I just make it myself. That's one of the cool things about DIY, you can do what you want to do.

Welcome to VU!

KhanSW

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I mix using separate PG, VG, and 100 mg nic in PG. This way is less expensive in the long run and just a little bit more complicated than using a pre-mixed base.

Another thing to consider is your prefered nic level. For example, if you vape at 3 mg and buy 3 mg premix, when you add flavors you will also drop your nic level. If being precise on your nic level is not a big deal then a premix would be a little bit easier. Also your PG/VG level will be a little off as well since most flavors are PG based.

Actually, I do use a premix, I just make it myself. That's one of the cool things about DIY, you can do what you want to do.

Welcome to VU!

Yeah I definitely noticed that while making adjustments on a calculator that my nic level would drop, along with my ratio of pg/vg due to the flavoring being pg based. I had to counter that by calculating with a higher nic based mix and was able to get it to my sweet spot. I just didn't know if they were worth a damn to use the mixed bases by not knowing exactly which nicotine was being used in the mix. I guess its not really that big of a deal to buy everything separately since most of the calculators I've seen tell you exactly how much to add to get that perfect level.

Also thanks for the welcome, I've actually lurked here for quite a while (since 2014). I'm actually one of the early transients from ECF back when VU first started up, I just never really post much, and pretty much just absorb what everyone else puts up.

wllmc

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Sponsor
VU Challenge Team
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
welcome! All good advice above. I'm with the buy separate ingredients crowds because like mentioned above it may be difficult to fine tune your final results. I do know guys who that do not really care if they are vaping 6 mg one day and 3 the next or 50/50 one day and 70/30 the next so if you fall in this group premixed bases are fine but otherwise it would be nearly ( not totally) but nearly impossible to hit your marks every time without having extra PG or VG on hand at least and at that point you may as well just have Nic on hand to. :) happy mixing

Hillbilly Pig

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Reddit Exile
Yeah I'm with them, mix separately. Though there ain't nothing wrong with buying pre made, it can be a pain to get to your sweet spot. Definitely check out ELR if ya haven't already, that place is great, but can be dangerous if you wanna mix but don't know what you want. I say mix with a scale, quick and clean, but syringes are fine too. Well, good luck, can't wait to see what you make :D

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
I'm with everyone else. Buy and mix separately to customize to what you want/need. Like Gopher, I do make a large quantity base mix, then add the flavorings I need, as they're needed, the difference in nic strength is negligible, but supplies last quite a while this way. Customizing as I needed allowed me to drop my nic level over time.

jojosvapes

Drippopotamus
VU Donator
Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
Agree with others but I will say some premix juice will allow you to get started faster and cheaper. So if you feel better doing this or if its just to see if you will even like it then go for it. I assume you are talking about something like this: https://www.vapewild.com/blended-nicotine-3mg/.

If so what I will suggest.... most sites that sale items like this dont have the best flavoring-not bashing any of them but I know because I also started mixing like this.

One thing to also keep in mind is the nicotine level will not be exactly what you want in the end. If you get premix at 3mg, 6mg or whatever you want. Then mix up say a 30ml bottle with 10-20% flavor - while the flavor will be accurate of what you would experience if you mixed your own PG/VG but the nicotine in this scenario is diluted down from the original it will not be 3mg or 6mg.

Not trying to push towards either direction, truly do what you feel comfortable with. In the short term it will be cheaper, so if you decide to continue mixing after testing the waters with premix. It will save you money the sooner you get away from it. If you sample with premix and decide you dont like it-then your up front cost is little to worry about but I would not look at is as a longterm DIY solution.

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Using Premixed Base NIC in my opinion is a waste as you pay as much for it as something 10 times as strong and when using weak flavoring requiring 15% you will be vaping way below 3MG. Do the math or use a calculator. If that is too hard rethink doing DIY. Just my opinion and not a how to book for dummies.

VU Sponsors