Become a Patron!

Mod heating up

Juni509

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I got some questions.. New to vaping.
I have this Wismec predator and the obs engine tank.. The guy from the shop where I bought them set it up for me.. I think its with clapton coils. Been using it for sometime now like a week or so but I noticed that it takes a while for me to get vapor when i use it. And vapors quite hot.. Also what bothers me the most is that mod... Heats up like hell after sometime of use.. Hottest part is below the firing button. Also i went back to the store and asked the guys there about it but they say its normal.... I know somethins wrong with this damned thing.

Hope someone helps.. And thanks in advance. Sorry for the grammar and all.

fraleywp

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
The coils may be too meaty for your vaping style. More metal takes longer to heat, which is why the first hit doesn't produce enough vapor. You could try upping the Watts and taking shorter hits. Otherwise you may want smaller coils.

Juni509

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Is there any kind of coil you can recommend in particular? And thank you very much.. I will try it..

fraleywp

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Is there any kind of coil you can recommend in particular? And thank you very much.. I will try it..
It's kind of hard to say without knowing what they put in. Is the OBS a packaged coil or it has to be built?

If it is a buildable setup, try using 2.5 inner diameter coils. They should heat up faster at lower watts.

Sorry, I am not familiar with that tank.

SirRichardRear

AKA Anthony Vapes on Youtube
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
how many watts are you vaping at? it may be too much for your build/mod/batteries etc. What watts and what batteries? also all the wismec/joyetech mods seem to run hot. it's one of the meany reasons i don't recommend them to people

Juni509

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
It's a buildable one I think.. Looks like this

Attachments

• 14979969594341493819213.jpg
    14979969594341493819213.jpg
    697.1 KB · Views: 22

fraleywp

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
You could definitely use smaller coils in that. Not sure if that is the answer but it wouldn't hurt to try it. If you need coils that are pre-built you can order them in a variety pack and they are available in 2.5 I.D.

Juni509

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
how many watts are you vaping at? it may be too much for your build/mod/batteries etc. What watts and what batteries? also all the wismec/joyetech mods seem to run hot. it's one of the meany reasons i don't recommend them to people

around 50-60 watts cause the coil heats up real slow.. And the batteries are some brown colored LGs i dont really know what theyre called..

SirRichardRear

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
around 50-60 watts cause the coil heats up real slow.. And the batteries are some brown colored LGs i dont really know what theyre called..
LG HG2 those are good batteries and your watts are plenty low. It's more of the hardware then anything you are doing wrong. the predator will run hot and the engine does as well.

Juni509

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Thanks a lot guys. But should I continue using the clapton wires? Or should I change wires as well?

Mykreign

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I have a wismec mod as well and can attest to them getting hot. Mine only gets hot when I'm pulsing claptons to form and get rid of hot spots though.

Definitely a hardware thing, but I agree with everyone else when they say get smaller coils.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mattp169

Platinum Contributor
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
vape modes do not blow up very easily
almost every single video you have seen of one doing so is an unregulated mech mod which is totally different then what youa re using
the predator has several safety features built in to prevent it form blowing up. Not saying it cant blow up. BUT ITS REALLY HARD. The worst thing is if you use crappy or damage batteries they could vent, which meants they actually split opne and leak out. NO fire no explosion And for that to happen is really hard on your device but posssible.

I dont think you are doing anything that should cause anythig crazy like that to happen

as others have said its the coil

I use claptons -BIG BEEFY ONES with 4mm ID at 50 watts on 6 devices all day long, and if the are room temperature it takes a few seconds for them to heat up and really give off a good vape. Im just used to it and have no issue with it.

Now as to why you mod is heating up, well my guess is your chain vaping or doing something similar to chain vaping when this happens. The heat is disappating into the tank to the mod heating it up thats all. This is semi normal depending on devices and coils

now the thing to worry about are the batteries themselves. If you touch them and they feel burning hot like could burn your skin hot, thats an issue. The shell of your mod or the outside of your tank getting hot is sometimes normal and not a major concern, it just requires a change in vaping style or style of coils or sometimes just totally different devices either mod, atty or both

Juni509

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Oohhh.. alright.. I'll definitely give a go on changing coils... and uhmm check on the batts.. oh and by the way, how many hits is considered chain vaping.. cause i hit like 3-4 at a time.. sorry Im just new.. i was a smoker before.. really sorry and thanks for the help

Sent from my ASUS_X013D using Tapatalk

Mattp169

Platinum Contributor
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
well
i hit my device for 2-5 seconds at a time. if i hit it 3 or 4 times in a row with only a couple seconds between each. my atty would get warm to hot but not my mods. but I dont have a predator an dhow they are designed, materials etc make a difference. ANd 3 or 4 hits at 4to 5 seconds in under a minute could be some peoples definiton of chain vaping.

Me I may hit my device for 3-5 seconds at a time 2 or 3 times a minute and get literaloy no heat up on my devices that i notice
but if i hit it 4-8 times in a minute which i do sometimes the atty gets hot

you have to realize with in 2 or 3 seconds your coil can get up to 400-500 degrees F easily depending on your build and wattage

Juni509

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Oh.. hahaha sorry.. still new to vaping. Still dumb. But i'll get back and let you guys know if theres any improvements... thanks a lot

fraleywp

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Oohhh.. alright.. I'll definitely give a go on changing coils... and uhmm check on the batts.. oh and by the way, how many hits is considered chain vaping.. cause i hit like 3-4 at a time.. sorry Im just new.. i was a smoker before.. really sorry and thanks for the help

I chain vape like crazy. I also have different mods and attys for different coil uses.

I would trust what Sir Richard stated about that mod getting hot with big coils. He does tons of hardware reviews.

Smaller coils should make the whole experience more comfortable for you.

SirRichardRear

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
I chain vape like crazy. I also have different mods and attys for different coil uses.

I would trust what Sir Richard stated about that mod getting hot with big coils. He does tons of hardware reviews.

Smaller coils should make the whole experience more comfortable for you.
aww thanks :)

Johnnytraveler

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Your coils look pretty black. How long have you been using them? What kind of metal is it? Kanthal? stainless-steel? On the predator what does it show the ohms at?

I find 2.5mm coils in the obs works great. Anything below 0.30 ohms does get hot in the engine. Nothing wrong with claptons. If you are buying premade coils, look for coils that home at 0.8. That way when you install 2 coils, it will ohm out at 0.40. That's a good ohm for the engine.

Your wick looks great! Well saturated.

kennedyhexohmfan

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
It's a buildable one I think.. Looks like this
Yeah. Your coils are dirty. That's why it's getting hot. They have caramelized burned sugar from the e-juice. Rebuildable atomizers need maintenance. They don't last an entire week without dry burning your coils and changing your wick, especially if your chain vaping. Take the wick out, dry burn them until they are hot and don't give out any smoke, press the firing button again and put them under running water until they are nice and clean. Dry the water around your deck, then re wick! They will taste brand knew and your rda won't heat up anymore.

VU Sponsors