Become a Patron!

Mod modification! (Mod mods?)

VaporOwl

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Couldn't really find anything on this, maybe because the search terms are just a nightmare for what I'm asking.

Who here has done some aftermarket work on their devices? This can range from filing the bottom of a button so it sits better to replacing contacts and springs to whatever you've done to make your mod better!

I'm technically looking for performance-oriented changes but aesthetic stuff isn't forbidden =P

Cheers!

lordmage

The Sky has Fallen. the End is Here.
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
most people either replace (springs <-> magnets) and vice versa. the top cap
Drill air hole or holes replace O-rings, Drip tips , screws some even go so far as to plate the device housing

VaporOwl

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Replacing with magnets is as simple as finding appropriately sized washer magnets and facing them to repel in place of the spring? How does this effect electrical performance, I've read somewhere about arcing creating spots on the magnets and I wonder if different materials will provide different performance.

Leads me to wonder how the spring itself affects the electrical performance... Any knowledge of using fatter gauge springs?

State O' Flux

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Inspect and adjust as needed:
  • ID bores receive light BRM flex-hone finish.
  • Internal OD (shafts) are polished to 1000 grit finish.
  • Bottom buttons / lock rings receive a small OD chamfer ("break" and radius lower edge) to remove sharp edges/pressure points.
  • Button faces may receive small center concave.
  • Springs/magnets tuned for press weight - 90 to 145 grams (variable - depending on total "running" weight)
  • Button to flange clearances are - shimmed, bushed or re-machined - to reduce lateral play.
  • Button axial movement (travel) is reduced to 1mm+/- via shaft length reduction (design dependent).
  • Button flange / insulator face (may be) shortened to optimize electrical contact.
  • Conductive surfaces inspected and optimized within limits of design.
  • Threads de-burred as needed.
  • Tube faces squared for "invisible" mating.
  • Intolerable logos removed.
  • Unique to design mods - as needed.

VU Sponsors