Become a Patron!

MOD OR TANK?

So I have been 1 month smoke free.:bliss:I have recently purchased a Smok Alien 220w with the baby beast. Its great, but I use a lot of juice do to it only being 3ml. I also use a Istick 30w with a Kangertech sub mini tank for just around the house. Don't want to cloud up the kids or the house. My question is (hypothetically) If all mods were 220w and all tanks were compatible, How would you base your choice? How do you choose mods and tanks just in general. Looks? Power? Also I'm not into building either.

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
How do you choose mods and tanks just in general. Looks? Power? Also I'm not into building either.
Reputation. I'm not one to run out and buy any "latest and greatest". I'll wait til I hear things about something, but I also wait forever, sometimes, to the point I'm buying last year's latest and greatest, LOL. I get very set into tanks that I enjoy.

Other selling points, for me, will differ from there. I do prefer RTAs, because I hate the thought of spending money on coils, only to toss them after a week, or so, even as a MTL vaper.

HondaDavidson

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
How would you base your choice? How do you choose mods and tanks just in general. Looks? Power? Also I'm not into building either.

All of the above.... I find the mod with the look I want and function s and power at the price I want to pay..... all mods were 200 watts that would just take one option out of consideration.

Atties..... basically the same. Except that 200 watt mod and what that means might affect choices... and validity of vaping.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

fraleywp

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
It really depends on you. An RTA is a good choice if you want to use prebuilt coil packs. Most also support an RBA deck option (build your own coils). An RDTA combines a tank with an RBA on top of the tank. This is my personal favorite as it allows me to inspect and rewick the coils at any time. Even with the tank full of juice. A few RTAs also allow access to the coils on a full tank but not as easily. An RDA is less convenient when you are on the go as you have to drip juice all the time. Not too convenient when driving, etc.

My personal favorite RTA right now is the ijoy limited classic. It has a ton of replaceable deck options and even has an optional prebuilt triple coil deck. There are many others and lots of people here who have used far more of them than me. My history of vaping started with several RTAs using prebuilt coils.

If building coils scares you, you can get premade individual coils and build your RBA or RDTA/RBA decks using these. The flavor with a buildable vs prebuilt varies greatly.

Because of personal taste, there is no easy answer. But, I am sure you can find the perfect RTA, RDTA or RBA to suit your needs. The mods you have sound ok as is.

theclaw20

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
I'd go tank. If you have an Alien and you don't like building, then another mod wouldn't give you anything additional in vaping experience (but would be enjoyable cosmetically).

Get the Smok TFV12 regular coil edition, a pack of Q4 coils, and a pack of one of the multi-coil heads.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

midknight420

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I think there is plenty here pertaining to mods. I will, on the other hand, input some on a tank. I see allot here about rebuildables, and I get it as I'm a diy'er myself, but you are looking for something you don't need to build.

There are many good choices for changeable coil tanks. One good choice is the Smok Spirals tank, the Combo RDTA it's actually a good choice as it has premade coils as well. All you have to do is screw them in. The Tornado Nano is a great choice as well. It has premade coils as well as an rba deck if you ever decide to try your hand at building later on.

Just a few suggestions of some good tanks that I personally know of. I hope this is of some help to you.

Sent from my LGMS550 using Tapatalk

theclaw20

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
The Smok TFV8 comes with coilheads AND an RBA deck (with coils pre-installed) that you can graduate to if you ever want. Many people think that the 12 is overkill and that the 8 looks nicer.

fraleywp

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
The ijoy combo and ijoy limited classic both use the same decks and those prebuilt coils. Another benefit to the ijoy prebuilts is that they can be fairly easily rewicked if you want to do it.

Fozzy

Member For 4 Years
Regulated mods I choose for their size and appearance. If you like low Ohm builds then how low they can fire should also be a consideration. As for tanks, it depends on how I'm feeling at the moment, but I typically prefer a velocity style deck with nicely sized post holes.

IMO there are a lot of great deals on older gear. Personally I like the UD Goliath V2, IJoy Reaper Plus, the Steam Crave Aromamizer, UD Goblin v1.2, the Gemini RTA, Smok TF-RTA just to name a few. Most of the aforementioned are rebuildibles but the Reaper will come with 2 coilheads one installed. RDTA often have smallish decks. I know you said your not interested in rebuildable, but if you haven't given it a go it's well worth it IMO. You don't need to over complicate things with claprons, aliens, fused claptons etc. Just keep It simple and do round wire builds and maybe a parrallel build once you got the hang of it. After a couple you will be amazed how simple it is and all the money you save on coils you can spend on more gear.

cvcrcr99

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
To me, a mod is a mod is a mod. They house batteries and all can basically do the same thing. The only thing different are colors, where the buttons/screen are located, and the amount of batteries they hold nowadays. The tanks are where the creativity happen. Many different designs, shapes, colors, coils,...the list goes on. I have 2 mods. One I use daily and a cheap-o as a back up. 3 sets of (2) batteries which get cycled. I have about 6 different tanks/atomizers.

I guess to answer your question, I don't seek any mods out, just tanks etc.

theclaw20

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
To me, a mod is a mod is a mod. They house batteries and all can basically do the same thing. The only thing different are colors, where the buttons/screen are located, and the amount of batteries they hold nowadays. The tanks are where the creativity happen. Many different designs, shapes, colors, coils,...the list goes on. I have 2 mods. One I use daily and a cheap-o as a back up. 3 sets of (2) batteries which get cycled. I have about 6 different tanks/atomizers.

I mostly agree. I think there's SOME variety with mods, but the real variety is in tanks and coils.

Fozzy

Member For 4 Years

I get it!! I'm the same way with my shoes. I have a pair of Chucks, 2 pairs of dress shoes and a pair of work boots. Why does anyone need more than that. It's not about what I need. It's about what I like and I like to spend my desgressionary income. Apparently, I like mech mods.

Fozzy

Member For 4 Years
I get it!! I'm the same way with my shoes. I have a pair of Chucks, 2 pairs of dress shoes and a pair of work boots. Why does anyone need more than that. It's not about what I need. It's about what I like and I like to spend my desgressionary income. Apparently, I like mech mods.
For me the mod is something more than a metal tube. They are glorious in there simplisty and design. Functional pieces of art. But that's just me.

Attachments

• IMG_1473.JPG
    IMG_1473.JPG
    995.3 KB · Views: 9

zaroba

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years

Same here.
I only have the mod that I use and my two older mods are backups, one at home and one in my semi.

But I have 7 pairs of batteries that get cycled and have my last set of 5 pairs to use as backups in case I forget to charge the main 7 pairs.

fraleywp

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
To say a mod is a mod is like saying a car is a car. Yes they all have the same basic function, but they do not all perform the same, look the same or last the same. Wattage accuracy, temp control and design set them apart from each other. No different than attys really. Just my opinion

Synphul

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Everyone is different. Some it's really important that a mod or tank look a certain way, be a particular color/shade, matching etc. Others not so much. If taking the mod out of the equation and strictly comparing tanks then it's a matter of what kind. You specified basically subohm tanks, something you just replace factory coil heads in so that cuts out rta's, rdta's, rda's.

For me it would come down to a few things regarding performance. Decent vapor production/flavor? How is the airflow? Even if it's adjustable not all airflow is the same and poor airflow (not just amount) can kill flavor.

Does it have a 510 compatible drip tip or does it use a proprietary tip forcing me to use the one that came with it? (Could be an issue if you're not happy with a proprietary drip tip).

How fast does it consume juice? Some coil heads have numerous coils and have a reputation for being a juice guzzler. That can get expensive if you're not into diy juice making.

Quality of coils, some have a reputation for dry hits and having to fiddle with poking the cotton wicking to improve how it works out of the package. Access to replacement coil heads, are they readily available? Affordable? If it's a popular brand/model then chances are if one vendor runs out you can get them elsewhere. If it's not then that could be a problem if your source stops making or carrying them.

Looks can factor into it, for me personally that's secondary. A beautiful gold plated atty encrusted with diamonds and mother of pearl with premium virgin wool as wicking for the coils makes no difference if it has issues that kill flavor or make the vapor crappy. It would end up in a display case where I could look at it and not bother using it.

For the mods, part of it is looks but again it's about performance and quality. Extra wattage can be nice, I have the alien 220w as well. Doubtful I'd get anywhere close to 220w, not on 2 18650 batteries. That's with any mod and usually the '220w' capability is with a very limited range of resistance, other resistance ranges forcing that 220w ceiling to some other lower value. Part of the mod choice is reliability, does it have known problems? Autofiring, crappy 510 threads that pull out, battery door magnets that fall out? When considering features, how well does it do what it says? Is tc decent or spotty (if you use temp control). Looking at the alien I'm pretty happy with it, the looks, fit/finish, price, hand feel. Tc isn't as good as others but it's not a $200 device, I paid $40 for mine.

With tanks or mods, looks and sticker ratings are at the lower end of importance to me personally. If it doesn't perform well, is difficult to use, breaks too easily or doesn't function the way I need/want it to, the rest of it doesn't matter. Hand feel for mods is also important to me, I'm going to be holding it 100% of the time I'm using it to vape. If it's too big/heavy, the shape feels funky, it's uncomfortable, I won't want to use it.

ApolloVapes

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Unlisted Vendor
All of the above.... I find the mod with the look I want and function s and power at the price I want to pay..... all mods were 200 watts that would just take one option out of consideration.

Atties..... basically the same. Except that 200 watt mod and what that means might affect choices... and validity of vaping.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

Yeah, for me it is the same. Right now I'm using the Sigelei Kaos becuase I was given a red SMOK Baby Beast and the Kaos has the changing LED lights so I can match it. I'm very happy with this setup and couldn't really ask for more unless I just want something different.

skt239

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I agree but I just own three pairs of chucks. Black for weddings and funerals, White for after Labor Day and blue for everything in between.

cvcrcr99

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
To say a mod is a mod is like saying a car is a car. Yes they all have the same basic function, but they do not all perform the same, look the same or last the same. Wattage accuracy, temp control and design set them apart from each other. No different than attys really. Just my opinion

I'm a car guy so I don't agree in the least bit. I can understand agreeing with this if you aren't a car person. Press gas, go forward.

fraleywp

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I'm a car guy so I don't agree in the least bit. I can understand agreeing with this if you aren't a car person. Press gas, go forward.
I am saying the same thing you are so not sure what you aren't agreeing with. I am saying that saying all mods are the same would be like saying all cars are the same. Some cars are nothing more than appliances while others are a true pleasure to drive. The same holds true with mods. Yes they all burn juice, but how well they do it makes some more enjoyable than others.

For the record, I am a "car" guy too.

EMusic

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I am saying the same thing you are so not sure what you aren't agreeing with. I am saying that saying all mods are the same would be like saying all cars are the same. Some cars are nothing more than appliances while others are a true pleasure to drive. The same holds true with mods. Yes they all burn juice, but how well they do it makes some more enjoyable than others.

For the record, I am a "car" guy too.
His reply confused me, too. He obviously misinterpreted your post. :confused:

WOW you folks are some knowledgeable people. That is a lot to consider. I have the baby beast( which is great). I wanted to get another tank to go with a new mod I haven't purchased yet, And be able to switch out each tank with different mods. So I went big boy and got a Aspire Cleito 120, and holy crap the air flow on that MFer. Almost blew my brains away. I might have bit off more than I can chew, but I can get by with it. I would like to get the Big Baby Beast, just cause i like the lower wattage coils and easier to use. The wide bore resin tip on the 120 is huge. I wish is had a smaller tip. But I'll get use to it.

fraleywp

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
WOW you folks are some knowledgeable people. That is a lot to consider. I have the baby beast( which is great). I wanted to get another tank to go with a new mod I haven't purchased yet, And be able to switch out each tank with different mods. So I went big boy and got a Aspire Cleito 120, and holy crap the air flow on that MFer. Almost blew my brains away. I might have bit off more than I can chew, but I can get by with it. I would like to get the Big Baby Beast, just cause i like the lower wattage coils and easier to use. The wide bore resin tip on the 120 is huge. I wish is had a smaller tip. But I'll get use to it.
There is an upgraded glass and chimney to convert the baby to a big baby. I forget where I saw that though.

VU Sponsors