Become a Patron!

Modfather leaking and spitback issues, please help

BPROSEK

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Hi all,

So I just got this beautiful gold Modfather today and am having some issues with it leaking from the air holes as well as quite a bit of spitback.

I received it from another member here and he was kind enough to leave a set of beautiful coils installed. They read at .19 and I am vaping at 96watts on my Alien.

After wicking it up I filled it up and had juice gathering in the airholes, started vaping it and it is an incredible vape, however I am getting a fair amount of hot juice shooting into my mouth, along with consistent leaking from the air holes when the mod is held any other way that straight up. It is not pouring out mind you, rather just slowly seeping out.

If I understand correctly there is no jfc like supreme plus/boreas etc, so I'm unsure how to remedy these issues.

Any insight is gratefully appreciated!

1492732175813-1115154222.jpg 1492732205806-89043707.jpg

r055co

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Wick, tight in the coils and you should have a fluffy bed of cotton on the deck. Don't pack in the cotton but there needs to be room under the coils for air.

When you fill make sure you burp the tank.

ej1024

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Hi all,

So I just got this beautiful gold Modfather today and am having some issues with it leaking from the air holes as well as quite a bit of spitback.

I received it from another member here and he was kind enough to leave a set of beautiful coils installed. They read at .19 and I am vaping at 96watts on my Alien.

After wicking it up I filled it up and had juice gathering in the airholes, started vaping it and it is an incredible vape, however I am getting a fair amount of hot juice shooting into my mouth, along with consistent leaking from the air holes when the mod is held any other way that straight up. It is not pouring out mind you, rather just slowly seeping out.

If I understand correctly there is no jfc like supreme plus/boreas etc, so I'm unsure how to remedy these issues.

Any insight is gratefully appreciated!

View attachment 80126 View attachment 80127

@manyscoot help

I

nlt2836

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Wick, tight in the coils and you should have a fluffy bed of cotton on the deck. Don't pack in the cotton but there needs to be room under the coils for air.

Out of curiosity, how do you burp a tank? I've never heard anyone say that before

Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk

derrickfosgate

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Cotton u def need mor then what u have make sure each tail kisses eachother under the coil and is completely covering the holes at the bottom watch trevor jones on youtube he shows a great wicking method i had the same problem and wasnt using enough cotton

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

BPROSEK

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
U dont have enough cotton under the coils on the bottom of the deck

Ok guys, thank you for the advice.

As far as more cotton, I'm not sure how much more I can fit in there...as it is I have virtually no space beneath the coil... The coils were already mounted when I got the tank, perhaps I should try raising them up to allow for more cotton but also leave the needed space under the coils? Not sure how else I can fit more cotton. With the way things stand.

derrickfosgate

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years

As far as more cotton, I'm not sure how much more I can fit in there...as it is I have virtually no space beneath the coil... The coils were already mounted when I got the tank, perhaps I should try raising them up to allow for more cotton but also leave the needed space under the coils? Not sure how else I can fit more cotton. With the way things stand.
Yes raise them a little and make sure u gently push the cotton down to the bottom of the deck covering the 4 holes u will get it took me 3 tries to get it

Deucesjack

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee

Matty Ice does a pretty good wicking tutorial here. Give it a look.

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Tapatalk

MannyScoot

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I started at 145w, like in the pic, but feels comfortable around 165-170 w. I was at 200w with my twisted 22ga on the same rda... Killed my batteries rather quick but was definitely spewing like a volcano! View attachment 80157

What's the inside diameter of those coils and what is it consist of? I want to go up to 4mm but I'm waiting for more wire to come in before I try any "big" builds. I want to stay around .2-.3 ohms if possible so been playing around a lot with Wire wizard. Trying different materials and sizes out on Paper (pc) first.

I unfortunately have a clone of the RDA......I told my wife I wanted the legit one for a late b-day present :D

Holy Crap that's HUGE!! I thought my Boreas was big! What is it and do you have more pics of deck etc...
The deck is pretty big....Like almost 30mm....

@MannyScoot can help you. He's our resident Modfather expert.

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Tapatalk
37d37e604165c7233ae39f782c9d8187.jpg
905a8b8363d74dfdc0b7a1a708722c44.jpg

Sent from my Z981 using Tapatalk

MannyScoot

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Cotton is good, I think he cut the legs too short .. a lot of people want to wick it with the cotton ending on top of the holes..... You need to extend on the outside and cut where the bottom of the deck ends....The tails, They should meet inside the deck creating a full bed of cotton. You should not see the deck....
I learned from Trevor..... He is the Modfather master.....

MannyScoot

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Spit back I notice when the coil is new, and too high temp, or to much air. Start low and once the coil breaks in then jack up the temp.....

MannyScoot

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Ahh much nicer now!!!

Thank you all for the excellent info!
Yeah once the coil starts to get a little black and the slots get tighter because of the burning juice then the taste increases and the popping stops completely then you can go to higher watts for higher clouds and even more taste...

Until the taste gets bad because of gunky coils. Then you burn the coil and re-wick ... It takes longer to burn with Rayon......

BPROSEK

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Yeah once the coil starts to get a little black and the slots get tighter because of the burning juice then the taste increases and the popping stops completely then you can go to higher watts for higher clouds and even more taste...

Until the taste gets bad because of gunky coils. Then you burn the coil and re-wick ... It takes longer to burn with Rayon......

Haven't gotten on the rayon train yet, perhaps that will be my next learning project.

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Haven't gotten on the rayon train yet, perhaps that will be my next learning project.
Not really anything to learn, B....just don't use as much inside the coil, it doesn't swell like cotton when wet.

Doesn't burn like cotton either. I can use a wick for a week, the outer edges of the rayon will be discolored, the portion inside the coil will be about the same color as the day installed, white.

And, it doesn't burn-degrade in half inside the coil like cotton. Personally, I think all the hipped wicking like Native Wicks, Cotton Bacon, and others are just (over-priced) rayon or a combo of rayon and cotton mix.

nlt2836

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years

I wanted to say thank you for the tip. I don't have a modfather, but I did this with my Griffin and I no longer get the small amount of seepage that was driving me crazy.

Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk

MannyScoot

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Not really anything to learn, B....just don't use as much inside the coil, it doesn't swell like cotton when wet.

Doesn't burn like cotton either. I can use a wick for a week, the outer edges of the rayon will be discolored, the portion inside the coil will be about the same color as the day installed, white.

And, it doesn't burn-degrade in half inside the coil like cotton. Personally, I think all the hipped wicking like Native Wicks, Cotton Bacon, and others are just (over-priced) rayon or a combo of rayon and cotton mix.
Yeah pure 100% Egyptian camel ball fuzz and organic on top of that, and yes it taste like ball sweat....... They are trying to get every nickel they can....

MannyScoot

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I get spit back with Cotton Bacon.... If I'm Muslim should I be using Cotton Bacon...
6d60c5a0b90cb4a73448f6a6f8f68658.jpg

VU Sponsors