Become a Patron!

Modifying the iStick bending adapter to fit the Vaporshark rDNA 40

Giraut

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
There's a clever accessory for the iStick mod called the "bending adapter": it lets iStick users fold the atomizer, to reduce the height of the device:

Istick%20bend%20adaptor-700x700.png

Well, here it is on my Vaporshark rDNA:

vaporshark_bending_adapter-closed_zpsw9epttyi.jpg

vaporshark_bending_adapter-open_zpsft6n4fzx.jpg

Why would you want to use this thing on the rDNA 40, you ask? For one simple reason: when you open it, it disconnects the atomizer. When you close it, it reconnects it.

Therefore, it's very useful if you think the DNA40 board is misreading the coil in temperature control mode: open, close, select "NEW COIL" and you're done in 2 seconds. No more unscrewing / tightening the atomizer to force the board to recalibrate itself. It also acts as a thread protector if you like to swap atomizers often.

Finally, it can also be used like on the iStick, to fold the atomizer along the side of the mod. Unfortunately, it only works with 19mm atomizers or smaller, due to the size of the mod.

If you want to make one, here's what you need to do:

1/ Modify the "="-shaped iStick-compatible tabs under the adapter's hinge to fit the "X"-shaped air channels on the rDNA:

vaporshark_bending_adapter-filing_tabs_zpsrfraolta.jpg

2/ Reduce the height of the shoulder right next to the threaded area of the adapter's pin. Unmodified, the shoulder bottoms out on the edge of the rDNA's 510 connector. With the shoulder reduced slightly, the pin can sit lower and press the hinge against the mod's case:

vaporshark_bending_adapter-filing_pin_shoulder_zpsekrxwhrf.jpg

The bending adapter adds about 0.03 ohms of resistance, probably because of the crappy spring inside the pin. So in temperature control mode, if you like to set your temperature near the dry-hit limit, you might have to reduce it 10 degrees to compensate.

Zamazam

Evil Vulcan's do it with Logic
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Interesting modification.

Manimal3497

Manimalizer
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
hmmm may have to give this a try. If i remember correctly these can be gotten for under $5 would definity save me alot of time and all of the having to keep taking my tank off. Would also cover up my scratches from taking the tank on and off lol

DevAuto

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
Vape Media
More fun with iStick bending adapters!

Starlyte

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Where have all the piccies gone...long time passing ???
I tried it in a shop, but didn't buy, with it spinning like a top, but from the description... nice one :D

z man

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Great fit I must say! Giraut...How stiff is the hinge on Your adapter?....I bought one for a 20 watt stick and it did save what was left of the threads,and got a spring pin to boot!....But..The thing is STIFF!...I haven't done much with it because I got a 30 watt Istick and it won't fit because of the larger top.....Z

Giraut

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Stiff is good: it means the ground's electrical path is nice and sound.

VU Sponsors