Become a Patron!

Mom complains about RBA burning her throat

champton

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Hey guys, my mom is using a TFV8 (finally nailed how to build on that sucker, LOL!) and she's complaining about the coil burning the back of her throat when she inhales, even at 40 watts. It's not a dry hit - there's juice in the tank. I used 2 7-wrap 26g Kanthal coils and they're reading 0.72 ohms. What can I do to make the experience better for her? This is my first time (successfully) building on an RBA.

Last edited:

JuicyLucy

My name is Lucy and I am a squonkaholic
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
Is she a new vaper?

Many can't take sub ohm vaping at first. In fact, IME, the vast majority need well above 1 ohm, say at least 1.5

champton

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
She's not a new vaper, she has been doing so for a little over 3 years now. It's just the first time she's done it on a rebuildable. Her Q4s go down to 0.4 and her Crown 3s go as low as 0.28. She can handle those quite well, so I wouldn't say it's that.

However, they do wrap the cotton quite loosely I've noticed. I'm having to wick quite a bit tighter than I usually would, maybe it's burning through the cotton easier? Could that have something to do with it?

Also, a friend of mine says there's no reason it should be reading above 0.6. He suggested I try a lower gauge wire, say 24g.

Letitia9

Citrus Junkie
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Sometimes just going up 2-3 watts will smooth out th.

KingPin!

In my defence, I was left unsupervised ^^
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
Have you tried chain vaping it yourself champton? I know you said it's not a dry burnt hit but the deck is a PITA to wick right

Could try lowering wattage a bit as well if it's reading 0.6 ohms say 30-35w

Also could be airlocked try turning upside down and back again

There is a wicking guide somewhere I'll dig it out

KingPin!

In my defence, I was left unsupervised ^^
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer

HondaDavidson

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Hey guys, my mom is using a TFV8 (finally nailed how to build on that sucker, LOL!) and she's complaining about the coil burning the back of her throat when she inhales, even at 40 watts. It's not a dry hit - there's juice in the tank. I used 2 7-wrap 26g Kanthal coils and they're reading 0.72 ohms. What can I do to make the experience better for her? This is my first time (successfully) building on an RBA.

How much Nicotine is in the juice? PG? Try a MTL atomizer ie small deck and small air volume (flow is up to her) and a less than 25 what build with a HF of less than 180 and a HC of no more than 40. My first guess if it were me or my wife... Would be try less wattage by about 50%, less air, less Nic and more VG.... Certain flavors like mints and fruits can also cause this.

BKTOAD

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Your resistance with dual 7.5 wrap kantal 26g should be either 0.5 with a 3mm coil or a little less than 0.5 with a 2.5mm coil.

My guess is you have a poor connection and only one coil is getting super hot. Have you pulsed the coils to work out hotspots before wicking? Make sure they heat evenly from the inside out, and both heat at the same speed.

champton

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
You know, you might want to double-check that the coil doesn't have hot legs

Heh, my girlfriend has hot legs, does that count? :D :p

I double checked my coils, they heat at about the same rate (one heated up slightly faster than the other), and I fixed it. So far, she hasn't had problems, but I'm going to give it about 24 hours. Sometimes my setups start off right and she can vape at her usual 72-80 watts but begin the Satanic throat assaults later.

eStorm

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Reddit Exile
Airflow, sounds stupid I know but experienced it myself. Build some coils, wicked it, same juices as usual. Started at 15 w moved my way up, but even at low wattage I could feel a harsh hit back in my throat. While increasing the watt made it just worse. Checked my ohms but nothing were fluctuation, checked screws/posts/510 connections, the wicking itself etc. Nothing seem to be off, yet I got this horrible burn. I couldn't figure out why, because my other rta's/RDTA don't do it. I didn't change nicotine or juice flavors/brands. Turns out, I had to open/close the airflow a bit, all the sudden the throat hit was gone, even when adjusting or not adjusting the wattage to lower/higher.

Also during vaping, the wire will expand and depending on material, some do more then others. Have to check the screws/connectors from time to time. Same with super sweet juices that gunk up coils at a quicker rate, some of that can have that effect as well, but sounded to me, it was with fresh coils, hence that isn't the issue here, most likely.

champton

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Well no problems on my mom's end so far and it's been a few days, so I should think it's safe to say this issue has come to a close.

VU Sponsors