Become a Patron!

Most recent victim of "Vapers Cough?"

The Vape Crusader

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
My level of coughing while vaping has increased. I'm concerned, my wife is concerned. I'm not suffering any loss of lung function; I played a hockey game last night and had GREAT stamina. But the coughing is still a concern. I've been vaping for about a month, and this has been ramping up over the past week.

My list of possible etiologies:

-Vaping too much: I guess I'm a bit of a cloud chaser, and take big direct-lung hits at times.
-The juice I'm vaping: I at least try new juices that I get in the vape mail... if they're not steeped, can they be harsher?
-Maybe I'm just sick?
-Stopping smoking. I've been told that stopping smoking allows your lung cilia to begin to grow back, and when that happens en masse, it can cause coughing, but eventually goes away.
-I use a 65/35 VG/PG ratio. Should I go even higher on the VG?
-Technique: more airflow and slower exhaling might be in order.

Any other reasoning and assistance would be appreciated.

EDIT: I have an iStick 40W TC with 0.4 ohm Ti coils in my Joyetech eGo ONE. In temp mode I run 320-360F (it only has a Ni mode, so you gotta dial it down for Ti), and 17 watts in wattage mode. All of my juices are 3mg or less, and a majority of them are only 1.5... even a few 0s.

Last edited:

smacksy

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I find high PG levels make me cough sometimes..But now I vape VG max juices, and guess what?
No more coughing, lol

sent from my XT1080 via Tapatalk

The Vape Crusader

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Agreed, that's why I took a step up. I was vaping 50/50, and changed to 65/35 a week ago. But the cough is still happening... maybe the fruit flavors are making me cough? I've found my favorites to be the savory ones... peanut butter, marshmallow, creams and custards, waffles, etc. In theory I like fruit flavors, but could they just not jive the right way with me?

smacksy

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Agreed, that's why I took a step up. I was vaping 50/50, and changed to 65/35 a week ago. But the cough is still happening... maybe the fruit flavors are making me cough? I've found my favorites to be the savory ones... peanut butter, marshmallow, creams and custards, waffles, etc. In theory I like fruit flavors, but could they just not jive the right way with me?
Could be but I doubt it...still didn't say what wire your build is..and are you using TC?
I don't do nickel and Ti builds yet so I couldn't help you there..

The Vape Crusader

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Yeah I have a joyetech Ti coil running 320-360F... eGo One tank on my iStick 40W TC. I'll run wattage mode too, 17 watts at 0.4 ohms

Caboose

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
The coughing could be a lot of things, lets start a list:

- could be your body doesn't react well to high levels of vg or pg (you'll need to vary the ratio in either direction to test this)
- could be too much nicotine (when I first used an RDA I only had 12mg/ml and it was waaayy too much nicotine and hurt like hell and made me cough)
- You could be running too high of a wattage and the vape could be too hot and irritating your throat (try dialing down the wattage and see if it helps)
- It could be the fruity flavors, I've noticed that flavors with a lot of citrus can irritate my throat

But we need more info to tell really. What mod, tank or rda, nicotine content are you vaping? I know you said you were taking lung hits so I'm assuming some kind of RDA or RTA.

EDIT:
Just saw your new post with mod details, maybe try dialing down the wattage a bit. I'm running my subtank mini with a Nickel coil at 25J, 450F and that seems right on. When running a Ti coil in my lemo 2 I bump it up to 475-500F but leave it at 25J. I find that at the temps I'm running 25J ramps up plenty fast without pushing too much to overrun the temp limit on initial firing.

You're going to want to adjust your temp and J settings depending on the juice you're vaping, all of mine that I mix are 50/50 3mg/ml and I still vary my temp setting anywhere from 25-100F between flavors. Some run better hot and some better cold.

Last edited:

The Vape Crusader

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Thank you Caboose... great advice...

I'm also finding that methods help... I think for the past few days, I had a big "cloud ego" and was trying to take the hugest hits possible. Trust me, the airflow in that eGo ONE is amazing with the Ti coil... almost feels like an RDA. At times, I have to reduce the airflow, otherwise the vape will "skip" on me, i.e. there's so much air going in that the juice flow can't keep up.

So maybe I just need to take some easier hits, and stick with temp mode. Time to swallow my pride... ironic seeing as how my tank is an eGo ONE :).

Neunerball

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
If you want bigger clouds, use more VG. Like 80VG/20PG.

After quitting analogs, I used to cough a lot, even months after. I guess, my lungs just tried to get rid of all the crap that was in it. Now, I have one liquid that makes me cough easier, or when I vape too much.

RobbieR

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I coughed like crazy for the first 2-3 weeks when I quit smoking and started vaping. I was worried because I never coughed that much when I smoked cigarettes. For me it went away after the third week. At 4 weeks it could still be your body adjusting to vaping.

How much juice are you going through in a day? I wonder if you are vaping too much because of the low amount of nic you are using. I know this might sound crazy but maybe you need to increase your nic and vape less often?

The Vape Crusader

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Or maybe just vape less often :)

I was never a super heavy smoker. 1.5-3 is right for me... I think I've just been overdoing it.

5mL a day probably?

smacksy

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
When I started vaping I coughed alot..So at my next regular doctor visit at my VA clinic I mentioned I quit smoking and started vaping but was coughing alot..
Doc had a chest X-ray done to look for other causes that might cause the coughing but the X-ray was clear...negative. :)
He said my lungs were constantly irritated by the years of smoking tobacco, and they needed a few weeks to heal themselves..means not smoking tobacco...period
Anyway that was three years ago now. I can vape just about any flavor up to 18mgs of nic without coughing...as long as its 100% VG..

Last edited:

RobbieR

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Or maybe just vape less often :)

I was never a super heavy smoker. 1.5-3 is right for me... I think I've just been overdoing it.

5mL a day probably?

5ml a day of 1.5 or 3mg nic is not excessive at all. For someone that just quit smoking you are doing very well. If that's all your vaping I would guess your cough is just your body getting used to vaping and clearing out the left over crap from smoking.

Caboose

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Ya at that amount you're fine, I go through anywhere from 15-25ml of 3mg/ml a day and I don't have any issues. Didn't realize you were such a new changeover, could definitely be your lungs clearing out all the tar and crap still.

Thunderball

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I think your definitley coughing up all that shit from your lungs from when you smoked. It lasted a while for me as well.
My wife coughed up alot of shit from her lungs as well when she stopped smoking. I think its as simple as that. Hers lasted a couple of months.

The Vape Crusader

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Thank you all for the educated guesses... I guess I'll just wait things out... I'd rather have an occasional cough than be out of breath all the time! :)

I've done a lot of tinkering and experimenting today, and some things have helped...

1. Not obsessing over clouds. Smaller hits, less vapor, backing off on temp/wattage as necessary.
2. Sticking with my easier going flavors. I have some 50/50 from an older vape mail order, and some 65VG that I got recently. As much as I love my 50/50 peanut butter cup flavor, it's like the 20-year scotch of vapes. Very rich, and definitely not an all-day vape. Right now I'm vaping a pre-steeped custard flavor, and that's very easy going. My strawberry-banana-cream should be up that alley as well.
3. Hydration. Only recently did I realize how much vaping can dehydrate you. Plenty of water nearby when I vape now....
4. Just bought a pair of nickel coils (as opposed to titanium). I think I like the flavor better.... less metallic. It could just be week-old coil versus new coil, but I'll keep experimenting with both.

Will keep y'all posted.

PuffPuffPass

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Coughing varies, depending on how heavy of a smoker you were in the past. I've seen claims of up to 3 months. With some reduced in the first month, only to have it return and be very heavy weeks later, then clear up again.

Just my opinion. I think we all have a different healing schedule. But I do believe in having it looked at, if it becomes an issue.

The Vape Crusader

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Update:

My techniques are helping... direct result? I dunno... I can't say i'm cough free, but usually its my fault... getting too bold with the hits... hopefully this is the last of it. Thanks for the advice everyone.

Islandswamp

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
My level of coughing while vaping has increased. I'm concerned, my wife is concerned. I'm not suffering any loss of lung function; I played a hockey game last night and had GREAT stamina. But the coughing is still a concern. I've been vaping for about a month, and this has been ramping up over the past week.

My list of possible etiologies:

-Vaping too much: I guess I'm a bit of a cloud chaser, and take big direct-lung hits at times.
-The juice I'm vaping: I at least try new juices that I get in the vape mail... if they're not steeped, can they be harsher?
-Maybe I'm just sick?
-Stopping smoking. I've been told that stopping smoking allows your lung cilia to begin to grow back, and when that happens en masse, it can cause coughing, but eventually goes away.
-I use a 65/35 VG/PG ratio. Should I go even higher on the VG?
-Technique: more airflow and slower exhaling might be in order.

Any other reasoning and assistance would be appreciated.

EDIT: I have an iStick 40W TC with 0.4 ohm Ti coils in my Joyetech eGo ONE. In temp mode I run 320-360F (it only has a Ni mode, so you gotta dial it down for Ti), and 17 watts in wattage mode. All of my juices are 3mg or less, and a majority of them are only 1.5... even a few 0s.
I know that this is an old thread but i just had to reply. I noticed your name and pic; it looks like crusade from magic the gathering. Are you a fellow mtg nerd? I haven't met many other mtg player vapers.

Also I have wondered about the effects on my lungs. But my health has been getting much better so the rare coughs were probably no big deal.

VU Sponsors