Become a Patron!

Moving to Quad Battery Mod, any suggestions?

Titanium5000

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Hi guys, I'm Titanium (T), been vaping about a year, and my current mod has broken so moving up to a 4 battery mod.

I have a SMOK Alien in Silver, running 2x2 VTC5s in rotation, the top section has detached (near the fire button) it's still working, but it's been a year so I want to buy a new Mod, it may stop working as well.

I'm considering the SMOK GX350, in the same way that the Alien seemed to be one of the smallest ways to hold two batteries, this seems to be a convenient way to hold four.

It also seems to be extremely high wattage, I'm currently in the 70-80W range, I think this would pair nicely with the TFV12 that's been released as well.

Pros Quad mod, screen on top (which is something I'm looking for instead of reviewing the screen after I've taken a vape), large fire button/bar, relatively compact, familiar menu system.

Cons I bought a Smok product 12 months ago, so instead of just buying another one I want to consider other alternatives. Battery monitoring pairs battery A+B and C+D instead of A+B+C+D.

Others from SMOK are the GX2/4 benefit of removing the excess bulk when not needed, but I rarely take my mod with me, so in GX4 format it seems to be larger than the GX350.

Can you suggest some other alternatives? I may eliminate them, but I would still appreciate hearing about any of them.

Cheers, T.

Polargirl

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Let me get the one quin or five battery mod out of the way: KangerTech Five6

List of Quads:
---------------------------------------------
Wismec Reuleaux RX300
Ijoy Maxo Quad 315
Sigelei SnowWolf 365

TasteMyToast

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I've had my gx350 for about 2 months now. I'm not gentle on my things, I'd say it's been dropped a dozen times. It's my all day mod, because it just lasts and lasts with the four batteries. I know a lot of people hate on Smok, but this thing has been solid for me. Only problem is a little paint chipping.

Polargirl

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I've had my gx350 for about 2 months now. I'm not gentle on my things, I'd say it's been dropped a dozen times. It's my all day mod, because it just lasts and lasts with the four batteries. I know a lot of people hate on Smok, but this thing has been solid for me. Only problem is a little paint chipping.
The GX2/4 solved the paint problem.

skt239

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I don't hate anything. I'm just stating the facts.

markdouglas1975

Member For 4 Years
Hi guys, I'm Titanium (T), been vaping about a year, and my current mod has broken so moving up to a 4 battery mod.

I have a SMOK Alien in Silver, running 2x2 VTC5s in rotation, the top section has detached (near the fire button) it's still working, but it's been a year so I want to buy a new Mod, it may stop working as well.

I'm considering the SMOK GX350, in the same way that the Alien seemed to be one of the smallest ways to hold two batteries, this seems to be a convenient way to hold four.

It also seems to be extremely high wattage, I'm currently in the 70-80W range, I think this would pair nicely with the TFV12 that's been released as well.

Pros Quad mod, screen on top (which is something I'm looking for instead of reviewing the screen after I've taken a vape), large fire button/bar, relatively compact, familiar menu system.

Cons I bought a Smok product 12 months ago, so instead of just buying another one I want to consider other alternatives. Battery monitoring pairs battery A+B and C+D instead of A+B+C+D.

Others from SMOK are the GX2/4 benefit of removing the excess bulk when not needed, but I rarely take my mod with me, so in GX4 format it seems to be larger than the GX350.

Can you suggest some other alternatives? I may eliminate them, but I would still appreciate hearing about any of them.

Cheers, T.

markdouglas1975

Member For 4 Years

Cheers, T.
smok gx350 mate thats what i run am a big vaper but still get 2 full days out the batteries.

Titanium5000

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
The GX2/4 solved the paint problem.

Hey Polar Girl, so you would suggest the GX2/4 over the GX350 due to the better coating.
GX2/4 vs GX350
87.2mm vs 84.5mm 2.7mm taller
59mm vs 59.3mm 0.3mm narrower
44mm vs 40.4mm 3.6mm deeper

So it's a bigger device. The screen is sort of debatable in a way, the screen on the front will make it easier to use and adjust I think, however screen on top as I mentioned I'd like to try

The paint chipping, well my Smok Alien didn't actually chip (it would be similar to the GX350 I'm pretty sure), but the body has a couple of tiny hits taken out of it.

Price where I'm shopping is negligible, I wouldn't get either in kits, the tanks are the TFV8 Big Baby Beast (which is my current main tank) and a TFV8 which has been recently been made obsolete by the TFV12 so it's just box mods I'm going for.

...Having trouble with the quote mechanism, so this one I just made up

Let me get the one quin or five battery mod out of the way: KangerTech Five6
Yeah This looks great, it really isn't that much bigger except height (10mm) but I have a 4 battery charger, that odd number... Look I could I guess, but I'd need to get another one I think. Still not a bad option at all. No Silver though, which is unfortunate.

List of Quads:
---------------------------------------------
Wismec Reuleaux RX300
I like that it charges as well, can charge phones as a giant battery pack, displays all 4 batteries (and on this, if you charge them all together, discharge them all together,which I will be doing, maybe individual battery monitors isn't that important? Can't please some people eh?), nice and compact device

Ijoy Maxo Quad 315
Every time I look at another one I seem to say 'compact size', I guess they're all different dimensions, but I'm surprised at the different ways companies are getting these batteries into these devices. I don't know about this one, but, can't find anything technically wrong with it
Sigelei SnowWolf 365
Colour screen, highest wattage... Is it discontinued?

Polargirl

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Hey Polar Girl, so you would suggest the GX2/4 over the GX350 due to the better coating.
GX2/4 vs GX350
87.2mm vs 84.5mm 2.7mm taller
59mm vs 59.3mm 0.3mm narrower
44mm vs 40.4mm 3.6mm deeper

So it's a bigger device. The screen is sort of debatable in a way, the screen on the front will make it easier to use and adjust I think, however screen on top as I mentioned I'd like to try

The paint chipping, well my Smok Alien didn't actually chip (it would be similar to the GX350 I'm pretty sure), but the body has a couple of tiny hits taken out of it.

Price where I'm shopping is negligible, I wouldn't get either in kits, the tanks are the TFV8 Big Baby Beast (which is my current main tank) and a TFV8 which has been recently been made obsolete by the TFV12 so it's just box mods I'm going for.

...Having trouble with the quote mechanism, so this one I just made up

Yeah This looks great, it really isn't that much bigger except height (10mm) but I have a 4 battery charger, that odd number... Look I could I guess, but I'd need to get another one I think. Still not a bad option at all. No Silver though, which is unfortunate.

I like that it charges as well, can charge phones as a giant battery pack, displays all 4 batteries (and on this, if you charge them all together, discharge them all together,which I will be doing, maybe individual battery monitors isn't that important? Can't please some people eh?), nice and compact device

Every time I look at another one I seem to say 'compact size', I guess they're all different dimensions, but I'm surprised at the different ways companies are getting these batteries into these devices. I don't know about this one, but, can't find anything technically wrong with it
Colour screen, highest wattage... Is it discontinued?
I personally would prefer the GX2/4 over the 350 since I like the modularity. The 350, Alien and back all have the same paint issues that got resolved from the 2/4 on forward. If you aren't buying kits, than the 2/4 is probably better.

Nitecore has an 8 slot i8 Intellicharger.

Yes, you must not only charge but always use batteries together in a group. Research "battery marriage". You have a lot of battery safety questions you should be asking in the battery forum here.

The Snowolf is still widely for sale.

Titanium5000

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Thanks Polargirl, good advice for people, I'm familiar with battery marriage.

I have two 'couples' at the moment for the Alien, I believe if I maintain the marriage in the sets the battery indicator will show each couple. I've also bought 4 more batteries.

I have decided to go for the GX350, as I said the EDIT: SCREEN* on top is the main advantage, not interested in the 2 battery feature that was discontinued, nor am I interested in the GX2 mode, I think It'd just be concerned about managing the 4 couples of batteries (I might have to do that anyway with this and my 8 batteries I'm going to manage).

Last edited:

Polargirl

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Thanks Polargirl, good advice for people, I'm familiar with battery marriage.

I have two 'couples' at the moment for the Alien, I believe if I maintain the marriage in the sets the battery indicator will show each couple. I've also bought 4 more batteries.

I have decided to go for the GX350, as I said the battery on top is the main advantage, not interested in the 2 battery feature that was discontinued, nor am I interested in the GX2 mode, I think It'd just be concerned about managing the 4 couples of batteries (I might have to do that anyway with this and my 8 batteries I'm going to manage).
The Snow Wolf is the only quad mod that does TC mode well enough. If you are staying in power mode, the GX350 is a good choice. Smok, like many other brands, can't do TC at all let alone well but it does watt mode pretty well as does the Snow Wolf.

John C

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Polargirl forgot the most important quad battery mod -- the Kanger Five6

... ;D

(There was another 4 battery mod thread and I mentioned the five6 for the heckuvit and I think it was Polargirl who quickly mentioned it is a FIVE battery mod. and yes, i know you mentioned it here, hence my little joke!)

Polargirl

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Polargirl forgot the most important quad battery mod -- the Kanger Five6

... ;D

(There was another 4 battery mod thread and I mentioned the five6 for the heckuvit and I think it was Polargirl who quickly mentioned it is a FIVE battery mod. and yes, i know you mentioned it here, hence my little joke!)
I believe it was me but not sure either. Lol.

I guess the Five6 is the endurance champion at 3,000 mAh x 5 = 15,000 mAh. That is getting into laptop battery pack territory. No surprise since laptop battery packs usually contain between 6-9 18650 batteries.

I wonder how many MTL vape draws at just 10-15 watts on a 1.8 ohm or so coil that gets? Has to be well over a thousand.

Carambrda

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I like my RX300 so much I recently bought an additional one... both of them are the carbon black edition. Once you go power curves in ArcticFox firmware there is no going back... apart from PWM mods it is the only regulated mod I'll use because the flavor production and 'feel' of the vapor is that much better, and, even though the RX Gen3 is compatible with ArcticFox, if using the power curves for preheat in wattage mode around 140 watts or more and chain vaping, then that extra battery life the RX300 with four VTC5A batteries has in store is compulsory IMO.

Titanium5000

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Well my Smok Alien is sunsetting tonight, last night before I think it goes into the draw to never be used again, the item has arrived collecting it tomorrow morning.

I'll report in tomorrow on the set, very exciting (also fast delivery 8 days for me if I were home when it arrived).

Also have 4 brand new fully charged VTC5s (not VTC5as) so 10400mah of mod goodness coming soon.

The other existing sets I'll keep married and use in AB+CD config, don't think it'll be too hard to remember, I'll charge them in pairs, use the pairs... in pairs in the mod, probably will do the same with the new sets as well, use them in the sets they came in, not too concerned.

But yeah happy with the purchase so far, I'm hoping it survives longer than the Alien did, I never got near 220W and it was an otherwise good mod, but I'll be in the market for a replacement if it does break or I have any issues with it.

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I suggest you have 8 cells in 2 married sets of 4 because even though you will get great battery life what will you do while they are charging?

John C

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I suggest you have 8 cells in 2 married sets of 4 because even though you will get great battery life what will you do while they are charging?
Yes I think like this when Im looking at buying a new mod. I think of battery costs for two sets of whatever it takes.

Titanium5000

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Yeah so I'll basically do this, I bought 4 brand new batteries which are charged and ready, then I have 4 'older' batteries which were working as 2 pairs of 2, I'll group them together as well.

So naturally it'll be 4 in use, 4 charging, when the next 4 are finished charging, they'll be sitting in the charger waiting to be used and swapped with the current set.

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I have 4 'older' batteries which were working as 2 pairs of 2, I'll group them together as well.

If you are going to add these together to make a set although it is debatable, it is BEST to have 4 batteries of the same age with the same amount of charge/discharge cycles to be SAFE.

Titanium5000

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
If you are going to add these together to make a set although it is debatable, it is BEST to have 4 batteries of the same age with the same amount of charge/discharge cycles to be SAFE.
Hey Steve good point, but I bought the two pairs at the same time, from the same seller, and have used them A set, B set, A set, their entire life, so, I think as a set of 4 it's reasonably safe.

So as well as the new tank I put my opening thoughts on the GX350 here, please read and enjoy.

http://vapingunderground.com/threads/my-new-smok-setup-tfv12-gx350.368043/

VU Sponsors