Become a Patron!

MTL 18650 Pen/Stick Recommendations

Polargirl

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I've been on this site for awhile learning about mods and attys but completely ignored pens and sticks thinking I was just going to dive right into an advanced mod/atty setup but am considering starting out with a pen if I can find an interesting alternative.

Like any smoker, I would like a simple and low maintenance pen. One with an MTL atty and single 18650 battery powered. I could always just get a Pico with or without a separate MTL atty but I am specifically interested in learning more about cigalike pens and sticks.

All the time and posts I made here and haven't looked into cigalikes even if for only due diligence is kind of embarrassing but better late than never.

Edit: No mechs! Regulated only.

Last edited:

Rossum

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Anything that takes an 18650 is not going to be pen, stick, or cig-alike sized.

IMO, the best itty-bitty compromise thing is the Juul. A big drawback though is the price of the pods. At ~$4 a pod, you're gonna spend a lot on consumables.

Polargirl

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Anything that takes an 18650 is not going to be pen, stick, or cig-alike sized.

IMO, the best itty-bitty compromise thing is the Juul. A big drawback though is the price of the pods. At ~$4 a pod, you're gonna spend a lot on consumables.
The Smok V8 Stick has an 18650 comparable battery but built in unfortunately.

Rossum

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
The Smok V8 Stick has an 18650 comparable battery but built in unfortunately.
Yep. Buy I wouldn't call that a "cig-a-like" or even a "stick". I'd call that a "tube mod". Stick batteries have historically been much thinner than that.

If you want 18650 and regulated, there are two places the regulator can go. On top of the battery, in which case you end up with a device that's pretty long; some people affectionately refer to such mods as "light sabers". The alternative is to put the regulator beside the battery, in which case you end up with something more-or-less resembling a box mod. The latter seem to have won the hearts and minds of the marketplace.

Smok's mods do not have the best reputation for quality/durability either...

Polargirl

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Yep. Buy I wouldn't call that a "cig-a-like" or even a "stick". I'd call that a "tube mod". Stick batteries have historically been much thinner than that.

If you want 18650 and regulated, there are two places the regulator can go. On top of the battery, in which case you end up with a device that's pretty long; some people affectionately refer to such mods as "light sabers". The alternative is to put the regulator beside the battery, in which case you end up with something more-or-less resembling a box mod. The latter seem to have won the hearts and minds of the marketplace.

Smok's mods do not have the best reputation for quality/durability either...
I guess I have to look into light sabers or settle for something like the Smok V8 but from a better company.

Rossum

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Back in the day, you would have been a prime candidate for a Provari, but they've closed up shop.

I'm not sure what else is currently out there in a regulated tube-mod format.

BudwyzerChic

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Ive bought a joyetech ego AIO for my niece when she first switched from cigarettes and the fact she couldn't use my rba. It's got adjustable air flow to where youre able to create a MTL draw.

Sent from my N9560 using Tapatalk

Polargirl

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Ive bought a joyetech ego AIO for my niece when she first switched from cigarettes and the fact she couldn't use my rba. It's got adjustable air flow to where youre able to create a MTL draw.

Interesting. Seen another place that has up to 1ohm coils. Thanks.

BudwyzerChic

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Keep in mind though, you'll be buying the coils and once the battery doesn't charge, you toss the whole thing out. But, it is a good starter point for switching over for $20. Just don't use extremely thick juice or overly sweet juice. You'll go through coils very quickly as the thicker juice can lead to dry hits and sweeter juices will gunk the coils quicker.. Ultimately having to change coils more often.

If after you decide you like vaping, I'd grab something like a Pico or the 60watt istick eleaf and then take a look into a kayfun or Digiflavor's siren MTL tank.. Both would be easy to build on which saves money and you can buy pre-made coils to where you don't have to wrap wires yourself. Small learning curve but YouTube can walk you through installing the coil and wicking.

There is also the icare sticks and the juul , but I've not had any experience with them. So I don't know what the costs would be for the pods and such.

Polargirl

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Keep in mind though, you'll be buying the coils and once the battery doesn't charge, you toss the whole thing out. But, it is a good starter point for switching over for $20. Just don't use extremely thick juice or overly sweet juice. You'll go through coils very quickly as the thicker juice can lead to dry hits and sweeter juices will gunk the coils quicker.. Ultimately having to change coils more often.

If after you decide you like vaping, I'd grab something like a Pico or the 60watt istick eleaf and then take a look into a kayfun or Digiflavor's siren MTL tank.. Both would be easy to build on which saves money and you can buy pre-made coils to where you don't have to wrap wires yourself. Small learning curve but YouTube can walk you through installing the coil and wicking.

There is also the icare sticks and the juul , but I've not had any experience with them. So I don't know what the costs would be for the pods and such.

You mean like this?

$37.20 total. I guess it don't get cheaper than that in the US if anywhere and PayPal insured.

How much more difficult is this setup than the ego AIO?

FoggyRoad

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
Oh, by the way, I DO have experience with BOTH the iCare and the Joyetech AIO products. Forget 'em both unless you like drinking your juice!

BudwyzerChic

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Oh, by the way, I DO have experience with BOTH the iCare and the Joyetech AIO products. Forget 'em both unless you like drinking your juice!

My niece hasn't complained about the juice issue. But, people vape differently , so who knows. :)

BudwyzerChic

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
You mean like this?

$37.20 total. I guess it don't get cheaper than that in the US if anywhere and PayPal insured.

How much more difficult is this setup than the ego AIO?

Shouldn't be much different other than the bell housing that covers the tank on the nautilus has to come entirely off to fill and if you have juice in it, it's got to be emptied before trying to change the coil.

Personally, I would go this route as it will give you a little more wiggle room to try different tanks later down the road versus an all in one type as well you can carry a spare battery so when you're on the go you can just pop in the fresh one without having to stop what you're doing , set the entire thing aside, and wait. A gf of mine loves her Nautilus 2 and it's got air control. The Endura that FoggyRoad mentioned, from what I know of it , it's lacking in the air flow control.

BudwyzerChic

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Shouldn't be much different other than the bell housing that covers the tank on the nautilus has to come entirely off to fill and if you have juice in it, it's got to be emptied before trying to change the coil.

Personally, I would go this route as it will give you a little more wiggle room to try different tanks later down the road versus an all in one type as well you can carry a spare battery so when you're on the go you can just pop in the fresh one without having to stop what you're doing , set the entire thing aside, and wait. A gf of mine loves her Nautilus 2 and it's got air control. The Endura that FoggyRoad mentioned, from what I know of it , it's lacking in the air flow control.
Hey Polar, just checking in to see how things turned out for you

Polargirl

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Hey Polar, just checking in to see how things turned out for you

Thank you so much. That is kind.

Well, I am waiting for Black Friday to buy stuff since I need to buy a phone in cash and my husband needs to buy a truck so money is tight for the earlier part of the month.

I did decide on a Smoant Battlestar mod, Vapefly Nicolas atty, and Umbavape Tastemaker True ejuice.

BudwyzerChic

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Thank you so much. That is kind.

Well, I am waiting for Black Friday to buy stuff since I need to buy a phone in cash and my husband needs to buy a truck so money is tight for the earlier part of the month.

I did decide on a Smoant Battlestar mod, Vapefly Nicolas atty, and Umbavape Tastemaker True ejuice.
I know about the money and needing a truck thing. Hubby is trying to trade an enclosed trailer for one..

I can't say I know anything about the setup you chose to go with. I would do a little research on the mod though because I've seen the smoant name be tossed around in some fun groups and it wasn't very good. I just can't remember off the top of my head which mod they were talking about.

As for juice, I order from vvs619 as they have all ranges of nicotine and you can come up with your own flavors or order theirs. But I am thinking of trying Budgetvapors since the price is right.

I buy pre-made coils and cotton so I am thinking of trying the Digiflavor Siren MTL as my next investment. I've seen some pretty good reviews on it.

SkoldVape

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Innokin svd was a pen style with 18650 battery. Get that and a nautilus mini and some 1.8 coils and your good to go.
Just hope the svd hasn't been discontinued. That's a neat setup! Would suite you down to the ground.
After I'd been on built in batteries for a while I rocked that setup for 3 years.
It got me off cigarettes till I started again due too stress

Polargirl

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I know about the money and needing a truck thing. Hubby is trying to trade an enclosed trailer for one..

I can't say I know anything about the setup you chose to go with. I would do a little research on the mod though because I've seen the smoant name be tossed around in some fun groups and it wasn't very good. I just can't remember off the top of my head which mod they were talking about.

As for juice, I order from vvs619 as they have all ranges of nicotine and you can come up with your own flavors or order theirs. But I am thinking of trying Budgetvapors since the price is right.

I buy pre-made coils and cotton so I am thinking of trying the Digiflavor Siren MTL as my next investment. I've seen some pretty good reviews on it.

Most of what I seen around here was good about Smoant as was Anthony Vapes' reviews and lists. It was probably the newest one -- TS 918. The Battlestar and the Charon to a slightly lesser extent have got nothing but solid reviews. Like with Microsoft Windows, it is why I am in no rush to get the latest and greatest.

If you are thinking about the Digiflavor Siren, you might want to buy the newly released second generation version.

http://digiflavor.com/project/siren2/

SkoldVape

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Most of what I seen around here was good about Smoant as was Anthony Vapes' reviews and lists. It was probably the newest one -- TS 918. The Battlestar and the Charon to a slightly lesser extent have got nothing but solid reviews. Like with Microsoft Windows, it is why I am in no rush to get the latest and greatest.

If you are thinking about the Digiflavor Siren, you might want to buy the newly released second generation version.

http://digiflavor.com/project/siren2/
Nothing wrong with older vape gear at all. Means it's been tried and tested :)

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I got my Sweetie to start using a real APV instead of Ci-A-Likes by lending her a discontinued model of these which is the latest from JAC Vapour, Even though they are located in the UK shipping takes about a week with the cheapest shipping and for $24.99 it is a great deal she got the Hot Pink.

upload_2017-11-4_16-51-12.jpeg
https://www.jacvapour.com/series-s17-tf

Polargirl

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Nothing wrong with older vape gear at all. Means it's been tried and tested :)
That is especially true for a newbie first mod that will serve as a backup option of last resort when newer mods are purchased. Every vaper should have at least one simple, durable, and proven mod as at least backup in their collection.

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I forgot to say it is a built in battery but charges fast and lasts pretty long for her. But she is not cloudy chain vaper like I am.

Polargirl

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I got my Sweetie to start using a real APV instead of Ci-A-Likes by lending her a discontinued model of these which is the latest from JAC Vapour, Even though they are located in the UK shipping takes about a week with the cheapest shipping and for $24.99 it is a great deal she got the Hot Pink.

View attachment 96019
https://www.jacvapour.com/series-s17-tf

It seems like this device was meant only for the UK market. I couldn't find it for sale elsewhere.

The price your link showing is ÂŁ24.99. That is $32.69 USD according to xe.com.

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
It seems like this device was meant only for the UK market. I couldn't find it for sale elsewhere.

I have no idea why you think it is only for the UK market because I am here in New York and my GF gets the Series-S17 and her coils delivered no problems. She has 3 now! If you do a little Google search you will find coupon codes and the final cost is $25 USD. Once you become a JAC Vapour customer when you sign in with your account the price will be $5 cheaper also!

SkoldVape

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
That is especially true for a newbie first mod that will serve as a backup option of last resort when newer mods are purchased. Every vaper should have at least one simple, durable, and proven mod as at least backup in their collection.
That's subjective though

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I couldn't find it for sale elsewhere.

You can't find it for sale anywhere else because it is a proprietary device Researched, Designed and built by JAC Vapours and only available from them!

Polargirl

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I have no idea why you think it is only for the UK market because I am here in New York and my GF gets the Series-S17 and her coils delivered no problems. She has 3 now! If you do a little Google search you will find coupon codes and the final cost is $25 USD. Once you become a JAC Vapour customer when you sign in with your account the price will be $5 cheaper also!
I did but didn't find a US store link. Could you provide one?

SkoldVape

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
It's annoying too when people make loads of suggestions but just don't listen.
Just get a freaking mod ffs!

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Well with her looking to find a US distributor for a JAC Vapour MOD was kind of silly trying to find it cheaper and debating the currency exchange rate. You can actually do it right on JAC Vapours site and know what you will be charged instead of what some other site tells you. Still $25 USD is freaking cheap for a VV battery and a Tank.

Polargirl

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
@Polargirl are you even vaping yet? Did you get a setup yet?

My husband needs to buy a truck and I need to buy a V20 phone in cash so money is tight until near Black Friday.

How would me owning a vape have helped me better find the information on Google? Just because you can't find it either after I requested doesn't mean you have to start attacking me. You made the claim; you find the information on US sellers to prove it instead of attacking me instead.

SkoldVape

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Well with her looking to find a US distributor for a JAC Vapour MOD was kind of silly trying to find it cheaper and debating the currency exchange rate. You can actually do it right on JAC Vapours site and know what you will be charged instead of what some other site tells you. Still $25 USD is freaking cheap for a VV battery and a Tank.
If I was beginning on this I'd be so fucking grateful. Mine was a cigalike!

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Even with $12 USD Shipping if you Google there are discount codes and specials from JAC Vapours themselves. Such a good deal for a simple MTL setup to get anyone started.

SkoldVape

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
My husband needs to buy a truck and I need to buy a V20 phone in cash so money is tight until near Black Friday.

How would me owning a vape have helped me better find the information on Google? Just because you can't find it either after I requested doesn't mean you have to start attacking me. You made the claim; you find the information to prove it instead of attacking me instead.
I'm not attacking you... stating my opinion

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Mine was a cigalike!

I started with Cig-A-Likes and once I bought my first MOD which cost the equivalent of one weeks worth of cigarettes it has paid for itself many times over. Actually taking the iStick TC40W with me tonight so I can slip in my pocket and vape when I leave the restaurant. Maybe a stealth vape or two while sitting at the table! Not attacking you you but you do have a tendency to argue with suggestions given to you by those of us who are only trying to help.

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
And I could have used many other descriptive words aside from 'silly' if I wanted to attack you.

SkoldVape

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I started with Cig-A-Likes and once I bought my first MOD which cost the equivalent of one weeks worth of cigarettes it has paid for itself many times over. Actually taking the iStick TC40W with me tonight so I can slip in my pocket and vape when I leave the restaurant. Maybe a stealth vape or two while sitting at the table! Not attacking you you but you do have a tendency to argue with suggestions given to you by those of us who are only trying to help.
One of my favourite stealth setups and no one is trying to attack her. She's just easily offended

BudwyzerChic

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
That's subjective though
I have more than one mod. Started with my eleaf 40watt tc and decided I wanted to keep vaping so I got a sigeli fuchai 200w ... Now have an alien but I've had issues to where I've gone to my 'back ups'. Not everything is meant to last forever (unfortunately) so isn't a bad idea to hold onto a mod after upgrading just for when shit happens.

SkoldVape

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I have more than one mod. Started with my eleaf 40watt tc and decided I wanted to keep vaping so I got a sigeli fuchai 200w ... Now have an alien but I've had issues to where I've gone to my 'back ups'. Not everything is meant to last forever (unfortunately) so isn't a bad idea to hold onto a mod after upgrading just for when shit happens.

I have about 10 mods but it's a comment coming off someone whose not even vaped. What makes a decent mod is subjective too hence my comment

VU Sponsors