Become a Patron!

MTL Nic Levels

Hey all, I'm new here so hopefully I posted this in the correct spot. I've been vaping for about 8 months with a few slip ups with the cigs. For the most part I've been able to stay off of them. I immediately started blowing clouds when I started vaping and got into mechs and building simple round wire builds. Lately I've really been missing smoking and I'm tired of blowing huge clouds as it doesn't really feel like a cig. I'm really thinking about going the MTL route. I vape 6mg nic on a goon RDA at about 120 watts. Do you think jumping to 12mg nicotine would be too much? Maybe I should go the 9mg route? Any help would be great. Thank you!

HondaDavidson

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
For me nic level determined by wattage more thn DL or MTL.....

That being said I have no answer as I use 6mg on 15 to 25 watt builds. I probably do the 9 mg and plan to adjust from there... if going to MTL resulted in a big power reduction.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

KarmicRage

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I would think about 12mg or more if you're still craving cigarettes. When using MTL you generally use more nicotine anyway as you inhale less vapour. It also helps to satisfy your craving quicker so you're not just sucking on your mod all day

Sent from my MI MAX 2 using Tapatalk

Neunerball

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
I would think about 12mg or more if you're still craving cigarettes. When using MTL you generally use more nicotine anyway as you inhale less vapour. It also helps to satisfy your craving quicker so you're not just sucking on your mod all day

Sent from my MI MAX 2 using Tapatalk
+1
MTL, less nicotine inhaled, due to less vapor.

When I started vaping, there was no DL Atomizer, all was MTL. I started off with 12 ml/mg, switching from 1.5-2 packs a day Camel Turkish Gold. My mod was a ProVary V2.5 with Kanger Pro tanks (1.2 Ohm replacement [single] coil). I occasionally overdosed on the Nicotine, due to enjoying vaping too much, not for the lack of Nicotine, but enjoying the flavor! :) (You can tell, when getting dizzy, or worse getting a headache, up to nausea)

pulsevape

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
it's really your call..I mean listening to people who've had more or different experince is a good idea,but it can't replace your own experince...alot of times the thing everybody loves...winds up not being your personal cup of tea...there is nothing that says you should vape a certain way...I know MTL vapers who vape 6mg and I know MTL vapers who vape 32 mg...and everything in between.

HondaDavidson

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Buy 2 bottle one 2x the nic you think you need say 20mg and Zero.. then mix till happy.

AS Said above. MTL vs DL uses same nic for me.... only time I change level is if I'm using more juice per hit or session. Big coil or big watts less nic small coil and less watts more nic.

Ishkabibble

Gotta eat the lettuce
VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
I use 3mg in my drippers, 6mg in my tanks, and 9mg in my Kayfun (MTL) if that helps.

HondaDavidson

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I use 3mg in my drippers, 6mg in my tanks, and 9mg in my Kayfun (MTL) if that helps.
The a kayfun makes sence due to i know it optimum performance levels would tend to call for nic in the 6 to 12 range...

As for the tank and dripper reference... too vague as it come down to which atty and what build...

The Kayfun IS A tank.... but it is also a tank that shines at lower wattages than say a tank with big air and dual coil deck. Kayfun has a tiny build area kinda calls for a tiny coil.

I uses the same nic level regardless if device... the only time I change it is we hen a particular build is running at significantly higher or lower than MY normal wattage.

The bigger the coil and higher the wattage the lower the nic levels. Style of atty has very little actual bearing on the matter. The design of a particular atty may determine where it performs best and that may affect the optimum nic level.

Drippers don't all need or use big coils or have big air... i have a couple Tiny Drippers.... heck my chalice 3 can't even use wire thicker than 28awg. Any thicker the post screws touch the top cap. Shorting the atty.

Ishkabibble

Gotta eat the lettuce
VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
The a kayfun makes sence due to i know it optimum performance levels would tend to call for nic in the 6 to 12 range...

As for the tank and dripper reference... too vague as it come down to which atty and what build...

The Kayfun IS A tank.... but it is also a tank that shines at lower wattages than say a tank with big air and dual coil deck. Kayfun has a tiny build area kinda calls for a tiny coil.

I uses the same nic level regardless if device... the only time I change it is we hen a particular build is running at significantly higher or lower than MY normal wattage.

The bigger the coil and higher the wattage the lower the nic levels. Style of atty has very little actual bearing on the matter. The design of a particular atty may determine where it performs best and that may affect the optimum nic level.

Drippers don't all need or use big coils or have big air... i have a couple Tiny Drippers.... heck my chalice 3 can't even use wire thicker than 28awg. Any thicker the post screws touch the top cap. Shorting the atty.

Maybe I should have been more clear.

My drippers (usually Apocalypse or Goon) run dual aliens at about 0.15 (corrected) ohms, so I'm running that at about 100W. If I tried dripping 6mg, I would die lol and have learned first hand but that's just me.

My tanks I run a little higher, around 0.25 ohms at 70W and thus 6mg suits me just fine there.

Since I recently just acquired my Kayfun 5, I noticed I had to bump up the nic a bit to 9mg for the time being.

JuicyLucy

My name is Lucy and I am a squonkaholic
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
Hey all, I'm new here so hopefully I posted this in the correct spot. I've been vaping for about 8 months with a few slip ups with the cigs. For the most part I've been able to stay off of them. I immediately started blowing clouds when I started vaping and got into mechs and building simple round wire builds. Lately I've really been missing smoking and I'm tired of blowing huge clouds as it doesn't really feel like a cig. I'm really thinking about going the MTL route. I vape 6mg nic on a goon RDA at about 120 watts. Do you think jumping to 12mg nicotine would be too much? Maybe I should go the 9mg route? Any help would be great. Thank you!

I started craving cigs last December - all I did was keep a MTL device on hand, and didn't up my nic levels

Turns out my brain was just wanting the comfort of the same action. A slow inhale, hold it, then a slow exhale did the trick without upping my nic one iota

Last edited:

HondaDavidson

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Maybe I should have been more clear.

My drippers (usually Apocalypse or Goon) run dual aliens at about 0.15 (corrected) ohms, so I'm running that at about 100W. If I tried dripping 6mg, I would die lol and have learned first hand but that's just me.

My tanks I run a little higher, around 0.25 ohms at 70W and thus 6mg suits me just fine there.

Since I recently just acquired my Kayfun 5, I noticed I had to bump up the nic a bit to 9mg for the time being.

Current have .35ohm in my Kayfun..... but its running at 15watts.... have .5 in my Avocado also at 15watts... have .6 in my Serpent Alto 15watts. Have .9 ohm in my origin geni tank. Again same 15watts.... all also are using 6mg juice.... all are running SS wire and All use the same TC settings.. except for resistance lock point.... which is about .07 ohms higher than actual cold read.

Now if I were to put BIGGER coils in any of them even just taking the wattage to 25watts I'd have to drop the nick. Probably close to half... same for the other way Smaller coil and less wattage I'd need to increase nic....

If i open the airflow up.. I would likely have to increase power. But in this case do to air diluting the vapor I might need to increase nic content.

Point being ohm is meaning less unless running a mech... where it determines your wattage and heat output.... .5ohm from 28 awg is not the same as .5ohm with 26 or 22awg. Yes they will all run the same wattage out of a mech.... but the 22awg might not get hot enough to make steam it will likely need to run at 3 or 4 times the wattage as the 28awg needs to reach same heat...

Nic needs is almost exclusively dictated by the amount of juice you convert to steam per second... that is determined by the amount of Metal in the coil, the type of metal and how many watts you feed it.

A small coil needs to run hotter to produce the same heat as a big coil. A small coil doesn't need as much power to get just as hot as a big coil. But the small coil also cools faster than a big coil so if you have high air flow you may have to increase wattage to overcome the cooling affect of flowing air....

then there the juice.

Ishkabibble

Gotta eat the lettuce
VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Current have .35ohm in my Kayfun..... but its running at 15watts.... have .5 in my Avocado also at 15watts... have .6 in my Serpent Alto 15watts. Have .9 ohm in my origin geni tank. Again same 15watts.... all also are using 6mg juice.... all are running SS wire and All use the same TC settings.. except for resistance lock point.... which is about .07 ohms higher than actual cold read.

Now if I were to put BIGGER coils in any of them even just taking the wattage to 25watts I'd have to drop the nick. Probably close to half... same for the other way Smaller coil and less wattage I'd need to increase nic....

If i open the airflow up.. I would likely have to increase power. But in this case do to air diluting the vapor I might need to increase nic content.

Point being ohm is meaning less unless running a mech... where it determines your wattage and heat output.... .5ohm from 28 awg is not the same as .5ohm with 26 or 22awg. Yes they will all run the same wattage out of a mech.... but the 22awg might not get hot enough to make steam it will likely need to run at 3 or 4 times the wattage as the 28awg needs to reach same heat...

Nic needs is almost exclusively dictated by the amount of juice you convert to steam per second... that is determined by the amount of Metal in the coil, the type of metal and how many watts you feed it.

A small coil needs to run hotter to produce the same heat as a big coil. A small coil doesn't need as much power to get just as hot as a big coil. But the small coil also cools faster than a big coil so if you have high air flow you may have to increase wattage to overcome the cooling affect of flowing air....

then there the juice.

Good stuff Honda!

lucifah

Shinyitis Victim
VU Donator
Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
I started craving cigs last December - all I did was keep a MTL device on hand, and didn't up my nic levels

Turns out my brain was just wanting the comfort of the same action. A slow inhale, hold it, then a slow exhale did the trick without using my nic one iota

That's an interesting observation. I noticed that I dropped from 12mg to 3-6mg (MTL only) within two months of starting vaping. Honestly it doesn't seem to matter much how much Nic I vape. I might be vaping more without realising, but not sure. Previously I smoked 20+ a day, for over 20 years.

Anyway, I think the brain plays a major part in vaping being successful: The habit, the hand to mouth movement, the smoke/vapour... things that a nicotine patch or gums cannot provide. Plus, nicotine on its own is apparently not addictive (according to experts in a recent UK parliament committee hearing)

So back to the question how much Nic to use? Buy small bottles of different levels. Try. You can always swap, vape more or less, and adapt. There are so many variables other than mere nic levels involved. Difficult to give a rule of thumb that works for everyone.

R.Savage

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
My mtl nix levels are at 18 mg for the tobacco flavours and 12 mg for cinnamon bun and donut flavours. My dtl stuff is 6 mg

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

Ms. Trixy

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Reddit Exile
VU Patreon
First, WELCOME @slt85 !

I smoked for 48yrs. I went from 1/2 pack a day to only 3 within 3 days, smoking a half at a time for a few days. Then I was down to 2 cigs for about a week, just out of habit. Hitting on the 24mg nic 2-3 times kept my craving away for 45-60 minutes. I was floored! I still kept finding myself getting up to go out for a smoke but realized I didn't have to. I was down to a half w/coffee in the morning and the other half before bed. All at 24 nic in a disposable cartomizer. I will admit, I keep a pack by the back door if I still want a normal smoke. I found the cig just hanging out of my mouth while petting the dog and that I really don't care for the taste any more and put it out after 3-4 puffs. I've been using subohm tanks and RTAs for 2.5yrs quickly dropped to 18mg. I quit 24mg when I took 3 good, long hits off of my subohm tank before I went to bed. I was throwing up, sweating, felt like I was going to pass out/die like I had food poisoning. I don't wish that on anyone! Yeah, nic overdose.

Hit your local shop for a cheap, small bottle of 12/18mg and see if it calms your craving. It doesn't have to be tobacco flavor. This is a nic experiment. My shops typically have a basket full of juice on clearance. If you're vaping more than you like, go to 20-24mg, still keeping the 18mg around. (18 and especially 24 in shops is hard to find). Or, do the reverse if it's too strong.

I bet 80% of vapers here that were former smokers still hold/held on to a pack of smokes, and smoked a tad until they cut the cord. You're not alone. You just need to dial in the nic level that will satisfy your craving. One day you'll look at your rig and think, "hmm, I haven't had a hit in 30 minutes".

VU Sponsors