Become a Patron!

MTL Vaper

Hi! I've started into vaping 2 months ago when I bought a iStick PICO kit, which came with a MELO III mini tank. I'm using the ELEAF EC 0.5ohm coils. I have a few questions mainly about the tank because I think that I can make my vaping experience way better.
Well.. I've read a thousand posts on forums and on the internet but many of them seems to contradict each other, so I want you to clarify some doubts that I have.

Since I'm a MTL vaper, is the 0.5ohm coil too low or can it be used for MTL?

I have the ELEAF ECR Head so I can make my own coils. Will a 1.8ohm coil made by me behave the same as the 1.8ohm triton coil? Because I've read a lot about this ohms and they seem to be MTL material but since I have the RBA, may be I can make one of 1.8ohm and see if I can feel a big difference between this coil and the 0.5ohm.

Vaping is being to harsh on my throat and I have tried different levels of nicotine. Can it be the tank that has an airflow too wide for MTL? Can it be the PG?

Why would I vape at 10-15W with a 1.8coil and 30-50 with 0.5? Shouldn't I keep the wattage? Since I changed the resistance, the current and the tension would automatically change. What is the key factor of vaping? Watt? Volt? or I?

EDIT:
This afternoon I used a eGo AIO with my own ejuice and the experience was much more pleasant for me. So.. the PG and the nicotine are not the problem.

The AIO was with 0.6ohm coil and it works between 3.7V and 4.2V, so the Watts will be between 17W - 29W. I usually vape between this values in my PICO (20W-30W) but it is much harsher for my throat. Will a tank replacement solve this? Is it necessary to replace the tank or I can solve this by other way? And the worst case... is the PICO not suitable for the way I want to use it?

Last edited:

JuicyLucy

My name is Lucy and I am a squonkaholic
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
Welcome to VU - hopefully someone can help you soon.

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Since I'm a MTL vaper, is the 0.5ohm coil too low or can it be used for MTL?
You can. I'm a MTL vaper, though I've never used the Melo tank, I have others that I've used with coils at this resistance without issue. I did have to up the wattage from what I'm used to. They're many times made with a thicker gauge wire, so more wattage will get you the vape you want.

Using a higher ohm coil, such as the 1.8 you mentioned, usually with a thinner gauge wire, or at least, in many cases. Those don't take as much power to heat up, being thinner. If the RBA base you have is usable in the Melo tank, build it to whatever resistance you prefer.

I mainly use RTA tanks. I've been using 28 gauge kanthal to build those at about 1 - 1.5 ohms, and I do keep the resistance pretty low. Why, is because it's just where I happen to prefer the flavor. There is no set wattage/voltage to use, it's a matter of preference. If it starts tasting burnt, turn it back down. Vaping is about how you want it.

If you really enjoyed the vape from the AiO, get a Cubis tank. They make higher resistance coils for those, and that's what the AiO uses. It would work fine on a Pico.

Not having the Melo, I can't say for certain what might work best for you. @Brewbear has one and loves his, from what I've read.

Good luck with your quest for you perfect vape! Welcome to the forum :wave:

Thank you all for the welcome.
My friend told me that the AIO has a 0.6ohm SS coil so the resistance value is not much different than the one I am using. Since this afternoon, when using the AIO, I realized that my problem is not related to the PG or to the nicotine, it can only be the amount of vapor or the temperature of the vapor. I think that it may be the vapor temperature being too hot since between 15W and 20W there is a very little amount of vapor production but it is still harsh for my throat.

Does a max VG liquid wams less? I have a lot of coils that I have bought and I don't know what to do with them now.

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Though PG might add a bit to throat hit, what warms the vape is the coil and the power put behind it.

F

fckaugust8th

Welcome to VU where advice is free, all else is PayPal or cash. The Melo3 is a very good MTL tank if set-up properly. The reason you see so much talk about the 1.8 ohm coils for MTL vaping is not just the resistance, it is the size of the opening that allows air to flow thru the coil and ultimately the drip tip into your mouth. In my limited experience, the lower resistance coils have a much larger air opening allowing more air thru the coil. That is done because you need that air flow to "cool" the coil otherwise the vapor coming out would be very hot. I don't have the ECR head yet, but take a look at the bottom and compare it with the 1.8 ohm coil, you'll see the difference.
The key factors in vaping, well that's a loaded question. You are a key factor in that you decide what you like, mtl or dl, hot or cool vape, flavor first or clouds first. The way I understand it, the lower resistance, the higher the wattage needed to heat up the coil but that goes out the window when you use TC mode.
The point is to find your happy medium and stick with it. I use the Aspire 1.8 ohm coils in the Melo3 and am very happy with it. Good luck in your search, hopefully @Shark Vape will chime in with his experiences, he has a Melo3/Pico set also.

Hi guys! I just bought a 1.8ohm triton coil to check it out and it is significantly different than the eleaf 0.5ohm. It is much more appropriate for MTL (in my opinion), I liked it. The only problem that I found was that the flavor was much less intense (may be because of the lowest temperature, I'm not sure).

Anyone here as tried the sub-ohm coils for triton? I would like to know if the opening is like the 1.8 or if it is wider.

Still..there is something that I don't understand and I would like someone to explain it to me... I tried to vape with my Eleaf 0.5, which is tagged as 30W - 100W at many different potence. Above 35W is just too much for me atm so I started in 35W and slowly decreased the wattage. So.. even in 10W, where I don't expire almost no vapor, it was a kind of scratchy to my throat. Is it possible that even not seeing the vapor, it was too much vapor into my mouth?

Running the 1.8 between 10 and 13, I produce a lot more vapor than with the 0.5 @ 25W. Is it normal? And if so.. why is the 1.8 softer to my throat? Even with the MELO III airflow wide open, I can perfectly MTL with the 1.8.

So, in conclusion.. since the temperature is not what is being harsh for my throat (since @10W with 0.5coil the vapor can't be too hot), what can it be? I really don't understand...

And in the AIO, using the 0.6 SS coil, it is nice for my throat too. I just can't understand it :/

Attachments

• 0.5.jpg
    0.5.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 5
  • 1.8.jpg
    1.8.jpg
    104.3 KB · Views: 6
  • rba.jpg
    rba.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 5
  • 1.8 vs 0.5.jpg
    1.8 vs 0.5.jpg