Become a Patron!

MTL with a SMOK Devilkin?

Sage013

Member For 1 Year
Hi, I'm pretty much a beginner to vaping as I have only been vaping for 3 months with a cheap and simple vape pen. Recently I was given a SMOK Devilkin as a birthday present. I'd never tried DTL before but, having now tried it I'm amazed at the flavour and clouds compared to my puny cheep vape pen.

However, I still want to be able to do MTL sometimes and I'm hoping I don't need to get another device. I'm wondering if there a possible setup on the Devilkin to do this, even if it means buying another tank?

Any help greatly appreciated as spending 6 hours reading about all the intricacies of vaping has ... well.... vaporised my brain. :headbang: :)

HondaDavidson

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Can you close the air flow down on the atty??? If yes then maybe you can MTL.... Main limitation to MTL with any atomizer is the Air Volume and flow. High Air volume and high Air flow not conducive. restricted flow and small air volume good for MTL. Juice and MOD have very little to NOTHING to do with MTL.

gbalkam

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
Can you close the air flow down on the atty??? If yes then maybe you can MTL.... Main limitation to MTL with any atomizer is the Air Volume and flow. High Air volume and high Air flow not conducive. restricted flow and small air volume good for MTL. Juice and MOD have very little to NOTHING to do with MTL.
Gotta veto this one.. M2L requires higher nicotine mg/ml than D2L does. This is due to the amount of fog (and nicotine) inhaled per puff. Example, you might M2L at 18mg on a vape pen, but 18mg D2L would be really harsh. You can M2L the same D2L juice, but you would be vaping steadily, and vaping the M2L on a D2L tank would be very harsh and make your hair grow.

But, yes, closing the airflow down and reducing power will give you a M2L vape. Start at lowest power setting you can and work your way up to where you get the best vape.

LOL In fact, I just send my brother a Freakshow RDA with a 17w M2L build installed.
Edit.. What I mean is, M2L delivers less nicotine per puff than D2L, so if you use nicotine, you have to allow for this

Last edited:

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I have to totally disagree with the Higher Nicotine statement because people do vape Zero Nicotine and I myself vape 3MG with Restricted Atomizers or Sub Ohm TC Wide bore atomizers.

Vape Fan

_evil twin_
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
I still want to be able to do MTL sometimes, even if it means buying another tank
Yeah, it will. Prince won't do MTL.
Any of these would work very well as MTL. All 3 of these Nautilus' use > the same proven BVC coils as well as Triton Mini coils for which there is a clapton option:
Nautilus
Nautilus Mini
Nautilus 2
They all work on you mod. And if using nic, whatever nic level you use in pen would probably work for you in one of these. You'll most likely want to lower any nic level for DTL, such as Prince.
https://www.cremedevape.com/HeadCompatibility

gbalkam

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
I have to totally disagree with the Higher Nicotine statement because people do vape Zero Nicotine and I myself vape 3MG with Restricted Atomizers or Sub Ohm TC Wide bore atomizers.
We are talking MOST people, not the exception.
So try 18mg with your Restricted Atomizers or Sub Ohm TC Wide bore atomizers and tell me there is no difference.
Almost every vaper knows, when you get into larger cloud (and flavor) builds, you have to reduce the nicotine level of your juice, unless of course you are already at 0mg. This is evidenced by the amount of juice you go through in a day/week. 15-30ml/week on an epen vs 60-120ml a week (or more) on a larger tank and coil build.

gbalkam

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
I still want to be able to do MTL sometimes
Seems to me, there is an adaptor to go from a vape pen connector to a 510 connector? Just keep your power setting LOW. Although you would only make that mistake once, when you got that full mouthful of burned cotton. lol

Although.. to be honest, after vaping D2L for a bit, you will hate that vape pen. lol and find it similar to smoking a cigarette with a crack beside the filter. (You know, you suck so hard your eyes cross and not a whisp of smoke to be had) :)

Sage013

Member For 1 Year
Wow, thank you for all the information. It's a great help. :)

I've decided to go for another tank e.g. the Nautilus 2 suggested by Vape Fan.

I think I'll be happier in the long run that way and gives me a lot more options.

I love the TVF12 Prince for the massive clouds but, when I'm out and about I don't want people to think a fire has started somewhere. :p

Again, many thanks for the great and quick help. :D

Vape Fan

_evil twin_
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
@11:59

As long as you fill as explained ("burp"), you shouldn't experience any bit of leak when filling. One of my fav tanks needs burped when filling.

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
M2L requires higher nicotine mg/ml than D2L does.

Sorry to disagree but Nicotine is NOT A requirement and this is just an opinion like yours.

So try 18mg with your Restricted Atomizers or Sub Ohm TC Wide bore atomizers and tell me there is no difference.

To shut dumbasses up I once vaped 48MG in 100% VG so don't tell me about differences. Why do you think you are such an expert because you made a couple of videos?

bestkeptsecret

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Sorry to disagree but Nicotine is NOT A requirement and this is just an opinion like yours.

To shut dumbasses up I once vaped 48MG in 100% VG so don't tell me about differences. Why do you think you are such an expert because you made a couple of videos?

I've just found a website which sells 48mg nicotine in 100% VG by the gallon at $105 - Fancy a nicotine bath!

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
No Laws against gifts of Nicotine just have to certify there are no Hazardous Materials in the parcel you ship if you use USPS.

bestkeptsecret

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years

bestkeptsecret

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
You offered~! I have enough Nicotine for my current needs but never turn down offers.
It wasn't an offer. I didn't say I'd draw you a nicotine bath or suggest I would supply you with enough nicotine to draw your own - that website will though - for the princely sum of $100 dollars

gbalkam

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile

No, because I have actually tried the same flavor and brand of juice on 1.8 ohm coils and 0.15 ohm coils, and by and large most people vape as a nicotine replacement. Not to be cool or trendy sucking a douche flute. When giving advice, you have to include the broad spectrum, not just say only the 0mg users.
Now if you are to feeble minded to understand that a fog saturated with a higher nicotine content delivers a much harder hit than a low saturation of nicotine, well it is beyond my level of patience to educate on you on grade 8 chemistry.

Now IF you are an ex smoker using vaping as a nicotine replacement you DO REQUIRE A HIGHER LEVEL OF MG/ML on a smaller device such as a vape pen, than you would on something like a baby beast to deliver the same level of nicotine. And.. if you chain vaped 48mg/ml on a baby beast you would be puking your guts out within 15 minutes vs potentially unlimited vaping at 3mg. This is also why cloud chasers practice with 0mg and not 3mg.. even 3mg will make you nic sic if you inhale enough in a 2 hour span.

This is not opinion, it is a well established fact. Less vapor per puff at higher mg = more vapor per puff at lower mg. In other words, you can vape 1 ml of 15 mg in one hour OR 5 ml of 3mg nic in one hour and it will deliver the exact same amount of nicotine to your blood stream. So when changing from a low volume deliver system to a high volume delivery, you have to take nicotine level into account, unless you don't use nicotine.
Now when you also consider vaping was invented to deliver nicotine without combustion in the first place, it is fair to assume most people will be using nicotine to get off tobacco while some just look at it as a fad and want to do tricks.

Either way, I can't be bothered teaching you grade 8 science. Look it up on your own time.

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
If you want to say your opinion is fact then provide documentation from a well respected source and not some reviewer on BoobTube.

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Now if you are to feeble minded to understand

And here is all the proof I need to know that you are just an immature dumbass because the only way you know how to debate is start with the childish name calling.

gbalkam

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
If you want to say your opinion is fact then provide documentation from a well respected source and not some reviewer on BoobTube.
I don't take anything from boobtube. Lets put it this way... Do you get drunker drinking 1 ounce of whisky in 7 ounces of water or by drinking 7 ounces of whisky in 1 ounce of water.. both are exactly 8 ounces by volume.
Now, your body processes about 1 ounce of alcohol per hour, SO you could drink 1 ounce of whiskey in 1 hour and be sober or drink 7 ounces of whiskey and in 7 hours be sober. and THAT is the difference in mg of nicotine per ml. except it doesn't get you drunk but it could make you nic sic if you vaped to much at a higher level delivery system.

I think I may have explained something wrong or you read it wrong. Just think of the advice we give smokers about adjusting nicotine up or down to counter the cravings. The Mg level depends on the mod they use and if they are M2L or D2L. Now as stated, you can use a D2L mod set up as M2L, but to get the same vape you would need a higher level of nic. Unless you always used 0mg to begin with.

Im vaping a deadrabbit at 3mg right now, but I know if i were using the same 18mg i used to use in my vape pen, i would be curled up around the toilet right now.. And maybe my taste is different, but I can taste more of a burn from higher nicotine levels. (in the same base/juice blend)

LIke I said, I think we got wires crossed along the way here someplace, usually we are in agreement on most things.

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Blah, Blah Blah if you want to say something is fact you must provide DOCUMENTATION from Reputable sources because all you are providing is your own opinion.

gbalkam

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
And here is all the proof I need to know that you are just an immature dumbass because the only way you know how to debate is start with the childish name calling.
yeah, and what exactly did any videos I made have to do with this topic? And God help us if my vids make me look like an "expert" as they were supposed to do just the opposite. The entire point is you don't have to be an expert to build coils. Which is why I use a $3 web cam and for the most part, no editing. Remember previously, how everyone was terrified at the mention of coil building? The point of the vids is supposed to be, it isn't rocket science.. a thumbless monkey can build a coil.

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
yeah, and what exactly did any videos I made have to do with this topic? And God help us if my vids make me look like an "expert" as they were supposed to do just the opposite. The entire point is you don't have to be an expert to build coils. Which is why I use a $3 web cam and for the most part, no editing. Remember previously, how everyone was terrified at the mention of coil building? The point of the vids is supposed to be, it isn't rocket science.. a thumbless monkey can build a coil.

Again more of your opinions nothing you say has any factual value. So you are saying you are just a joke?

gbalkam

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
Blah, Blah Blah if you want to say something is fact you must provide DOCUMENTATION from Reputable sources because all you are providing is your own opinion.
https://www.planetofthevapes.co.uk/...r-introductions/threads/new-to-vaping.114075/

Quote:
MTL / M2L / mouth to lung is similar to smoking. you inhale into your mouth and then take down into your lungs and then exhale.
this style can use much higher nicotine strength. most of us started on 18mg but you can get 20mg and soon to be banned 24mg
the coils used for these tanks are 1.2, 1.5, 1.6, 1.8
this style is used on much lower wattage and average is 12-14watts
average liquid ratio is 50VG/50PG but some use 70/30.

DTL / D2L / direct to lung sub ohming is totally different and not recommended for beginners or those just giving up the cigs.
when you inhale the vape doesnt stop in the mouth first like above but is inhaled directly to the lungs (similar to sucking on a thick mc d milkshake).
this style uses much lower nicotine and the average is 3mg and most 6mg. some can take higher but god knows how.
coils used are 0.5, 0.25 or similar.
this style is used at much higher wattage. the average is 50watts but some tanks can go upto 200watts. ive maxed at 150watts so far.
this style uses higher VG juice so makes bigger clouds. average is 70/30, 80/20, 90/10
:Unquote

It's pretty much common sense based on grade 8 science.. I could probably find a comparison of blood nicotine levels bases on vaping various MG levels of nicotine, I just never felt the need. It is pretty obvious.

See also
https://academic.oup.com/ntr/article/15/1/158/1105400

Last edited:

gbalkam

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
Again more of your opinions nothing you say has any factual value. So you are saying you are just a joke?
No, I am saying I am beating a dead horse trying to explain saturation and PPM density to you, as it seems you are to closed minded to comprehend it. Any idiot knows 1 tablespoon of salt in a glass of water is more salty than 1 tsp of salt in a glass of water, and if you added that salt in solution form to your cooking, you would use 1/3 the amount of the more saturated solution.
Now if you want to know the exact amount of nicotine delivered into the blood stream at various mg levels.. you can look it up, I can't be bothered researching something I already know.

Sage013

Member For 1 Year
Sorry for interrupting your discussion, but I thought I would let you know I've decided to go for an Innokin Zenith tank.

Not come across anything particularly negative about it, where as with the nautilus ones I've read to many people saying about refill problems and coils unscrewing.

At the end of the day, if I don't like what I get I can just put it down as an experience and move on to something else. :)

Nailz

FUCK the FDA
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Sorry for interrupting your discussion, but I thought I would let you know I've decided to go for an Innokin Zenith tank.

Not come across anything particularly negative about it, where as with the nautilus ones I've read to many people saying about refill problems and coils unscrewing.

At the end of the day, if I don't like what I get I can just put it down as an experience and move on to something else. :)

Good choice, zenith is a good MTL tank, the 0.6ohm coil is the best flavor coil for it ;)

bestkeptsecret

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years

Looks like a nice little tank. I think you've got the right attitude, it does seem that different setup suit different people and there is no right answer so trial and error is the only real test. I suppose as well as different tastes when it comes to flavour/ vapour etc, everyone draws at different rates, hold different amounts in the mouth, have different lung capacities. Its probably not surprising that you get such varied opinions on different gear.

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
No, I am saying I am beating a dead horse

Nothing that comes out of your mouth holds any weight or is needed by me. You are just a freaking joke.

tumblr_nuteidmwYs1tq4of6o1_250.gif

HondaDavidson

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Gotta veto this one.. M2L requires higher nicotine mg/ml than D2L does. This is due to the amount of fog (and nicotine) inhaled per puff. Example, you might M2L at 18mg on a vape pen, but 18mg D2L would be really harsh. You can M2L the same D2L juice, but you would be vaping steadily, and vaping the M2L on a D2L tank would be very harsh and make your hair grow.

But, yes, closing the airflow down and reducing power will give you a M2L vape. Start at lowest power setting you can and work your way up to where you get the best vape.

LOL In fact, I just send my brother a Freakshow RDA with a 17w M2L build installed.
Edit.. What I mean is, M2L delivers less nicotine per puff than D2L, so if you use nicotine, you have to allow for this
I vape the same nic mtl and dtl. Only time I change nic level is if I change wattage or coil size....... if you build a good coil it works for both draws in the same atty.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

Sage013

Member For 1 Year
While I at it I might as well ask about batteries :)

I'll go for Sony, Samsung or LG batteries but, is there any issues with using a say 30A batteries with the Innokin Zenith? (coils are 1.6ohm at 10-14W and 0.8ohm at 15-18W).

Do I even need 30A batteries for the Prince tank? (it comes with a 0.4 Ohm and a 0.12 Ohm coils at 60W-120W/Best 80W-110W). Any suggestion on specific batteries would be appreciated.

Having spent the last hour reading about batteries I'm now terrified of using the ones I was given, the printing on both batteries is smudged and I can't read what they say. Probably been lucky not to blow myself up so far. Not going to use them again and dispose of them as soon as. Back to my cheap vape pen until I get new batteries. :( lol

mikeyboy74

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
There's a balancing act between amps and mah. Either high amps but low mah or visa versa...... or a decent compromise.

An expert on the subject is Mooch, who has a lot of research posted. He has put a lot of info online.

For something like a Prince, Sony VTC5A would be really good. LG HG2 and Samsung 25R would be sufficient, as would some others. I would look for 20-25A and 2500-3000 mah.

Be sure to get an external charger that knows when to stop charging. Using the USB tends to wear out the port on the mod, there tends to be a lack of balanced charging, etc.

There are some good reputable sites like liion wholesale, illumn, etc. They should have chargers too, and will send you a battery case. They have good prices and fast shipment.

You don't want to carry batteries loose in pocket with change or keys, where unintended contact can happen. Make sure wraps don't have any tears. Charge while you are in the vicinity. I don't stare at the batteries for 2 hours while charging, but if I leave the premises, I unplug the charger until I return.

The higher amp batteries won't hurt Zenith coils because you will run the mod at lower watts. The coils don't know if 20 w is coming from a 40 w device, 225 w device, or anything in between. Your Devilkin will have much longer battery life with a Zenith.

Not sure if purpose is to quit smoking. Some people will use same liquid among different types of tanks. I'd prefer higher nic and probably nic salts in an mtl tank, pod vape, all-in-one, etc.

The coils will need to be primed and broken in gradually. Worth watching a quick video or two on the subject.

Sage013

Member For 1 Year
Thank you for the info.

Already been looking at battery chargers, cases etc. They're a far more sensible way to go.

Already checked a few videos on coils before I first used my Devilkin, If all goes well in the future I might get on to building my own coils .... but one step at a time. :)

I'm not vaping to quit smoking, I'm vaping to prevent me from starting again. Been smoke free for a year but still get the urge sometimes and I know I'm eventually going to crack. lol. I really enjoyed smoking and miss it, but run out of places to smoke apart from standing on the street and the cost has got insane. Can't smoke in my own home but I am ok to vape. :)

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Don't write off built in battery MOD's because most have pass thru charging and they are good devices.

gbalkam

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
I vape the same nic mtl and dtl. Only time I change nic level is if I change wattage or coil size....... if you build a good coil it works for both draws in the same atty.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk
Oh I do too, now, if i m2l at all. I generally don't and after 2 years without cigarettes, a slower vape doesn't set my nerves on end. However, for someone just coming off cigs and a vape pen, my best recommendation is keep aprox the same nicotine intake (say 3 ml per hour vs 1 ml per hour-or whatever it works out to) and ween off nicotine gradually. (if you chooses to do so)
I'm largely basing this off my own experience when kicking the tobacco and not going bat shit crazy while doing it. lol. And at times, i did end up turning my airflow way down so I could M2L on my tank, to get past that "smoke time" urge.

Sage013

Member For 1 Year
I'm back again with another question. I was just about some new coils for the TFV12 Prince when I noticed on one site it asked whether I want Standard or TPD ones. I've probably answered my own question already but, I take it that means the coils are different sizes between Standard and TPD?

I'm just looking for some clarification as it seems the tank I've been given is a Standard one. Not complaining as it's got the 8ml tank but, as I live in the UK, I guess it'll mean buying from China every time I want new coils. Not the end of the world, just a pain in the backside. :)

Being given a present of Smok Devilkin with the TFV12 Prince is very nice, but I do feel like I've been thrown in at the deep end. :eek: :confused:

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
OK @Sage013 I don't understand why they list it like this and I am not finding anything to indicate that the coils are different but the EU Edition of the Tank is a 2ML size. Still I am not sure about this. What tank do you have though? Is it a EU/TPD Edition or the Bulb 5-8ML?

Sage013

Member For 1 Year
8ml standard edition.

Not seen the option on other sites so guess it's just an error on their site. Wouldn't be the first bit of incorrect information I have come across.

Sage013

Member For 1 Year
Just had a look on aliexpress and they make the follow comment in the product description:

"We may ship standard edition packing box or EU TPD edition box to you, only packing different, coil is same and original,"

Guess the site I referred to just aren't very clear about.

If there is a difference I will post here when i get them.

Thank you taking the time to look and you quick responses. :)

Sage013

Member For 1 Year
Quick update ....

Innokin Zenith tank - Works a treat on my Devilkin (no reason not to). Great flavour (not that I have much experience, but I like what I've tried), no leaks and a great MTL draw for me. :)

TFV12 Prince coils - There's only one size of coil which fits both 8ml and TPD version of tank.

Thank you for everyone's help. :)

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Best Restricted Draw Tank I have ever owned is the Nautilus Mini so I guess that is why I have 3 of them.

VU Sponsors