Become a Patron!

Mutation x build

mreeveshp

Bronze Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Right now I'm running 24G 5/64 ID, and can't remember how many wraps or if I did a parallel build. It's running 2.4 ohms but I was thinking about a rebuild I can't go under 2 and maybe can handle 1.8. I'm using 90% VG juice and I have a Chubb on it. What would be a good build to get the biggest clouds possible.

Thanks

mike-c

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Just out of curiosity, why is your ohms limit so high? What mod are you using? What kind of batteries do ya have? I like to run with a .4 down to a .25 ohm dual parallel set in my Mutation X.

When I first started toying with my Mutation X 1.0, it seemed like no matter what build I put in it I only got thin clouds and muted flavor.
After studying the addy a bit, and using my tweaking with my older Plume VEIL, I had an idea.
The bottom air holes on the mutation x are rather high. Just slapping a regular old nano coil in it the way I had always done with my Tobh left the coils out of the flow of air for the most part. so taking notes from the Plume Veil I mentioned, I raised the coils until the bottom was just above the lowest air hole so the air would flow under as well as over the coils.

That helped tremendously for vapor, but I still had muted flavor. Well one day I was on YouTube and heard a guy talking about deliberately making one coil lower so the air flow would cut half way up the coil rather than under it. Essentially making one coil more for vapor, and one coil for flavor. It worked like a charm.

Plenty of people at the local b&m shop complain about the mutation x for having"too much air flow" and just too much inside area for a good dense vape. I disagree. I do keep the air closed off except for the second row is half open, but it works well for me.
Of course if you're happy with it keep it, but even at 1.8 ohms that Chuff cap is probably way too much airflow. Try the tips above with the stock cap without a drip tip and see if it helps.

Last edited:

mreeveshp

Bronze Contributor
Member For 5 Years
My ohms are that high cause anything lower was killing my thoat the lowest I could stand was .18 and it was even rough. I have a king clone mod ang LG 26650 batteries

mike-c

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I see, may I ask what dosage of nic you're vaping?

mreeveshp

Bronze Contributor
Member For 5 Years
6mg 90vg/10pg and I just got the same stuff in 12mg and I'm going to dilute it to 8mg with VG but 3mg I would be chain vaping and still smoking more than a couple cigarettes

Steam Powered

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
We may need some clarification mreeveshp. Your first post said you could handle 1.8 then you said in second post .18
Moving the decimal is big difference.

Steam Powered

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I'm thinking you want 1.8. The Mutation v2 has a single coil air setting. With your 24g I'd go single coil about 8/9 wrap to hit about 1.8

mike-c

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Ah!, I understand now. I was the same way when I first quit smoking. I used a Kangertech Aerotank Mega and Aspire Nautilus at 18mg for my nic fix and only really used my rda's for blowing clouds with my vaping buddies. When the feeling ya have to have a real cigarette passes, and it will, you might find that you'll drift tward your mutation x for that all day vape. Of course this was just my experience and yours may vary, but I smoked for 20 years + so it was hard for me too at first.

mike-c

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Good call Steam! I think we posted at the same time though on my last post so disregard that guys. Lol

zaroba

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Higher the nic = harder the throat hit.
As your Ohms go down and vapor production increases, you can lower your nic level and still get the same amount inhaled per vaping session and produce bigger clouds without killing your throat or getting a nic overdose.

I'm still somewhat new though, so somebody else would have to clarify if my above statement is correct.
But I did notice getting more out of my 6mg juice when I went from 1.6 Ohm Nautilus -> 0.5 Ohm Atlantis, not so much when switching to a 0.14 ohm RDA. Took a little bit for my throat to get used to it each time too.

zaroba

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Also, if you are using a citrus fruit based juice, it will be harder on your throat depending on the type of fruit flavor.

for example
a lemon will feel stronger then a strawberry
an orange will feel stronger then an apple
an apple will feel stronger then cotton candy

mike-c

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Just a side note, if you're wanting to chuck the biggest clouds for competitions, I'd go with a zero nic. Just reremember cloud chasing is cool, but it's totally different from everyday vaping. While chucking clouds might impress your vaping buddies, you will more than likely repulse anyone who really doesn't understand. Some people are put off on the sight of a huge "smoke cloud" coming out of someone's mouth. With smoking beingso ooffensive these days that's actually quite common.

When I'm just going about my daily routine, including work, I try to stay simple by using a tank like the aspire nautilus. I don't have to drip every 10 minutes and I can use a slightly higher nicotine dosage to keep those cravings at bay. Then when work is over I can bring out my toys (a.k.a. my atties) and really chuck some vapor.

Neunerball

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
Just a side note, if you're wanting to chuck the biggest clouds for competitions, I'd go with a zero nic. Just reremember cloud chasing is cool, but it's totally different from everyday vaping. While chucking clouds might impress your vaping buddies, you will more than likely repulse anyone who really doesn't understand. Some people are put off on the sight of a huge "smoke cloud" coming out of someone's mouth. With smoking beingso ooffensive these days that's actually quite common.

When I'm just going about my daily routine, including work, I try to stay simple by using a tank like the aspire nautilus. I don't have to drip every 10 minutes and I can use a slightly higher nicotine dosage to keep those cravings at bay. Then when work is over I can bring out my toys (a.k.a. my atties) and really chuck some vapor.
I prefer using my Lemo RBA while I'm at work.

mike-c

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I'm not familiar with the lemo. Is it something that has to stay upright to avoid leaking?

Neunerball

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
I'm not familiar with the lemo. Is it something that has to stay upright to avoid leaking?
It is similar to the Kayfun, the airflow is way better though. However, the Lemo does have a leaking issue, when you lay it sideways, or it starts dripping juice through the Dripper when you're filling it and tilting it.

BigNasty

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I think I spotted the reasoning a few posts up.
80-90 pg is going to feel like molten razor blades dipped in flavor in a dripper. should unless you have a sensitivity to vg flip that number. who knows you could have pg allergy.

mike-c

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Yeah that's what I hate about the kraken. If I'm not super careful I get juice all over me. It's just easier to carry my nautilus or even the bulky turbo.

mike-c

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
6mg 90vg/10pg and I just got the same stuff in 12mg and I'm going to dilute it to 8mg with VG

I don't think pg is the problem. For some people 12mg of nic is a little rough on the lungs especially coming from an rda.

Neunerball

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
I just did a dual coil build on my new Mutation X. I used 26g 7/6 wrap around a 2.5 mm rod (ca. 3/32") came out @ 0.3 Ohm. I dripped Fuzion Vaper's Spartan Wifes 12mg (I assume it's a 80vg/20pg) @ 45W on my Sigelei 100 Plus, had six air holes open (12, counting the other side). Boy, it was chucking clouds. I guess, I could go even higher on the Wattages and open more air holes. However, I would probably not be getting as much flavor.
Definitely will have to get lower nicotine liquid, while getting into making my own juice.

My usual builds on the mutation are dual 20-24g kanthal between 4-6 wraps around a 3/32 drill bit. For me the highest ohms were around .25 and the lowest i got was about .1 ohms. For the 20 gauge wire, you might want to have all the holes wide open because for me it seemed like my cotton was getting that burnt taste even when fully juiced when i only had 3 holes open on each side. Japanese cotton is best for the 20 gauge but cotton is ok for the 22 and 24 even though the i still prefer the japanese cotton.

Neunerball

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
My usual builds on the mutation are dual 20-24g kanthal between 4-6 wraps around a 3/32 drill bit. For me the highest ohms were around .25 and the lowest i got was about .1 ohms. For the 20 gauge wire, you might want to have all the holes wide open because for me it seemed like my cotton was getting that burnt taste even when fully juiced when i only had 3 holes open on each side. Japanese cotton is best for the 20 gauge but cotton is ok for the 22 and 24 even though the i still prefer the japanese cotton.
I have to agree on JC. I've been using it for a long time. It just draws up the juice much faster than the organic cotton I was using before.

MKPM

AMG
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
.19ohm dual micro build....5 wraps of 22g. Wicked with Koga. Yes that is a Mutation X deck with glass bell cap.
sEn7dLY.png

cR97tJj.png

Minimal wick underneath the coils, coils set HIGH, bottom of the deck still visible. This is how it's done.

mike-c

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
That glass bell is pretty awesome. May I ask where you found it?

Cloudy Peak Vapes

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Unlisted Vendor
.19ohm dual micro build....5 wraps of 22g. Wicked with Koga. Yes that is a Mutation X deck with glass bell cap.
sEn7dLY.png

cR97tJj.png

Minimal wick underneath the coils, coils set HIGH, bottom of the deck still visible. This is how it's done.
Me want glass bell cap so bad, lol. It will be a purchase soon. Aside from gauge, your build looks a lot like mine. My coils are set to the height of the top of the deck, though. I pull the bit down so it's touching the outer section, to level my coils, works for me. And minimal wicking is key, which you seem to do. I do just enough to brush the bottom of the juice well.

I love these attys, can get awesome flavor, or huge clouds, even from the same build.

MKPM

AMG
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
I like setting my coils above the airflow inlets when possible on rdas, That way the incoming air grabs a bit of the un-atomised "raw juice" flavour as well.

Cloudy Peak Vapes

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Unlisted Vendor
I like setting my coils above the airflow inlets when possible on rdas, That way the incoming air grabs a bit of the un-atomised "raw juice" flavour as well.
I'll have to try this. I have one waiting to be opened and built. I had always read that lower coils were better for flavor, higher for clouds. Mine site with the bottom of the coils at the bottom air holes, and up from there. They are fully exposed to airflow. Tinkering's fun, though. I need my new spool of kanthal to arrive.

MKPM

AMG
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
I have found in my years of experience that three things are directly tied to flavour. As much surface area as can be achieved with a coil whilst still hitting your target resistance is advantageous...along with making those coils as tight as humanly possible. Positioning the coils as to take full advantage of incoming air. Minimal wicking that is tight within the coil, and just touching the bottom of the juice well. The only departure from those rules is when dealing with RTAs...on those, you want the wick to be not tight within the coil...but also not loose.

mike-c

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I was just kinda playing around with my v1 X when I first got it, and I left one coil low while raising the other so that the bottom of the coil would catch air from the bottom row of inlets. I still got good flavor and the density of the cloud was even better. I guess you could say that I had one flavor coil and one vapor coil. lol

Cloudy Peak Vapes

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Unlisted Vendor
I have found in my years of experience that three things are directly tied to flavour. As much surface area as can be achieved with a coil whilst still hitting your target resistance is advantageous...along with making those coils as tight as humanly possible. Positioning the coils as to take full advantage of incoming air. Minimal wicking that is tight within the coil, and just touching the bottom of the juice well. The only departure from those rules is when dealing with RTAs...on those, you want the wick to be not tight within the coil...but also not loose.
Yeah, I knew most of that just had read lower coils, as I said, equaled flavor. Thanks man. I've been building Kayfuns for close to a year and only in the last month got into dripping, I barely touch my tanks now. I've found that wit the Mutation, sticking one of the restrictive original KFL drip tips on the delrin one, or the adapter on the V3 make all the world of difference in flavor. The warmth and flavor make my kayfuns taste muted now.

I've been playing around with different coil builds on the V2, looking for clouds first flavor second. I'm having really good results with 22g verticals on the same 45 degree slant as the air holes. Has anyone else tried it? right now I got .11 ohms

In my first mutation x (the original) I like to run twisted 22ga, 4 wraps around a 2mm screwdriver. Duals. 0.09 ohms. On my second (the cigreen x) the post holes aren't as large so I run quads 26ga. 8 wraps each 2mm dia. .18 ohm. I use the original on my dual 26650 mechanical box, and the cigreen on my sigelei 100 watt plus.

mike-c

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
That's why I love regulated boxes. You can pretty much build any coil you want and driveit with as many watts as ya want. Hell, I've even started using 26 and 28 awg again myself. I can build a vertical "six pack" and really push it to get some respectable clouds with massive flavor!

Anus Braun

Bronze Contributor
Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Some of youse mugs gots the eyesight of eagles...I need a magnified work-spot...very well-lit.

bizzy511

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Just out of curiosity, why is your ohms limit so high? What mod are you using? What kind of batteries do ya have? I like to run with a .4 down to a .25 ohm dual parallel set in my Mutation X.

When I first started toying with my Mutation X 1.0, it seemed like no matter what build I put in it I only got thin clouds and muted flavor.
After studying the addy a bit, and using my tweaking with my older Plume VEIL, I had an idea.
The bottom air holes on the mutation x are rather high. Just slapping a regular old nano coil in it the way I had always done with my Tobh left the coils out of the flow of air for the most part. so taking notes from the Plume Veil I mentioned, I raised the coils until the bottom was just above the lowest air hole so the air would flow under as well as over the coils.

That helped tremendously for vapor, but I still had muted flavor. Well one day I was on YouTube and heard a guy talking about deliberately making one coil lower so the air flow would cut half way up the coil rather than under it. Essentially making one coil more for vapor, and one coil for flavor. It worked like a charm.

Plenty of people at the local b&m shop complain about the mutation x for having"too much air flow" and just too much inside area for a good dense vape. I disagree. I do keep the air closed off except for the second row is half open, but it works well for me.
Of course if you're happy with it keep it, but even at 1.8 ohms that Chuff cap is probably way too much airflow. Try the tips above with the stock cap without a drip tip and see if it helps.

man I'm gonna have to try that. I never thought about lowering one of the coils. thanks for the info.

milspecsim

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Im in the same boat. I have the V1 24G 3mm ID 8wrap duals. Batt is a 26650 MNKE 3500mAh 3.7V in a panzer clone. I never get the big clouds using a 92-8% VG/PG. (Cant get 100% VG round here) I have dropped to 30G 1.5mm 4/6/8 wraps and as big as 20ga 3mm 4/6/8wraps and everything in between, I also use 2100mAh and 2500mAh 18650's with similar results. Hopefully my box will work better.

mike-c

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Have you tried cutting down on the airflow? Too much air will kill the density of the cloud.

milspecsim

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Currently running 3 holes. Either way I go the vapor production drops off. I have a PH 29mm atty inbound, but you know FASTTECH. Ships in Feb Arrives in Nov...

VU Sponsors