Become a Patron!

Mutation X v2 Mod. Thoughts.

scarecrowjenkins

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
So i'm going out of town for a couple days and i didn't wanna take my nice rig with me. Well i do, but i won't haha. So i ordered the SS Mutation X v2 mod (project subohm edition). I saw the mod in a shop a while back, and it felt "ok". So when i was looking for a beater to take to NYC, it seemed like a good choice. The mod was $45 i think, which is great for an authentic mod, even if it's made in china.
9a36ab33f1cfbbe2d1455aeea1a1e3e8.jpg
602bf1fb79b1c5fa06ddd361995306f4.jpg
fbd291af4f2208cbbbe14cb9ec452279.jpg

I've been using it for about 24hrs now and i gotta say i'm impressed. ESPECIALLY for the price. Outta the box it's pretty heavy in the hand. Not as flimsy as i remembered it to be from my first encounter. The switch is magnetic, and by all appearances, permanently mounted in the bottom. It has a bit of a longer throw to it (4-5mm) but it's super smooth, and has no tilting/side to side motion at all. Just a nice smooth one dimensional throw.
All of the contacts on this mod are copper, which is great for conductivity, but made me a little nervous. Anyone who's owned a first run Sig 100w can tell you why. The 510 pin is adjustable, but THANKFULLY it adjusts from the bottom not from the top. Took me a few minutes to figure it out (all my mechs are hybrid) but if you screw the atomizer on first, you can flip over the top cap, remove the copper pin, adjust the ring for the 510 and replace the contact pin. Sounds like a lot but only takes about 30 seconds.
374169449ced8945ec88ede157d6c1ec.jpg
9975c54f8fef039ab78d2a3ba020ac65.jpg

It functions remarkably well. Right on par with Indulgence's products as of late. Anyone who's owned a Mutation X v3 can probably relate to what i'm saying. Designed in the US+made in china = not too shabby.
df0249cca1f2700279050a277a5c0af2.jpg

For me most mechs come down to the switch. This is where clones always cheap out and authentics always shine. Flimsy springs, contact pins that come loose all the damn time-there's nothing worse than an awesome mod with a shit switch. The switch here is great. As i mentioned, it's magnetic so there's very little to go wrong with it. It has a nice clean project subohm engraving on the bottom and thats it. No logos anywhere else on the device. It's slightly recessed with no locking ring. The magnets provide more than enough resistance to keep it from going off in your pocket. My adventures yesterday confirmed this.
Looks great with all of my stainless steel attys, especially the Praxis Derringer and the Freakshow mini.
The heatsink fins actually work, as the mod itself never even gets warm, even when my freakshow is too hot to put my lips on. And it has the signature Mutation X airflow hole design for the battery venting.

I always see folks here looking for good inexpensive mods, which is why i am posting this. For someone who doesn't wanna take a chance with a clone, or doesn't like the idea of buying a clone, nor do they wanna break the bank-this is a great buy. I am still surprised at the quality of this lil fella. Thanks for reading :D

So, I picked up one of these today... well yesterday... Friday... cause I wanted to patina a copper mod. Paired it with a copper freakshow mini. Hits just like you'd expect a mech too. I'm running .37 on my cthulhu, and .32 on my freak and just... yeah. Looks good, tastes good, feels good.

Not alot of reviews out there on this thing, and the few I could stand to watch mostly complained about the button. Fact is, with that magnetic switch you shouldn't need to take it out, so not an issue. Was an <Expletive Removed> to take the <Expletive Removed> getting it in and out after I got the patina on it... but was totally and completely worth it!

Really good mod, regardless of the price.

VU Sponsors