Become a Patron!

Mutation X V4

Bubba

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Just got this RDA, new to rebuildables and was looking for guides on building coils but couldn't find anything for 0.5+
Any help?

Bubba

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I got 24 gauge kanthal wires by the way.

Bubba

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Update : I built it. However it hits really hard, meaning I cough like I just smoked the dankest "green" in the world. Is that normal?

Bubba

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
This is what it looks like, it's at 0.6 Ohms

Attachments

• 20150824_225339_resized.jpg
    20150824_225339_resized.jpg
    372.7 KB · Views: 32

Bob Diaper

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
You likely have a hot spot...
After building, and checking it on a meter, I commonly give it a few pulses to see how the wire is heating. You want an even glow eminating from the center of the coils out, and adjust your build appropriately.
I dont have an RDA...but in my Billow v2 (a RTA), I do 7 wrap 26g at 2.5mm duals, and I hover at 0.5-0.7Ω.

cavtruper

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Update : I built it. However it hits really hard, meaning I cough like I just smoked the dankest "green" in the world. Is that normal?
I have not ran into that problem. One thing I have noticed is it is a MESSY RDA when the bottom airflow is open, even the slightest. I wound up capping the bottom ports and ended up with less mess. I enjoy it and love the look and bought another one for my work mech mod.

Bubba

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
You likely have a hot spot...
After building, and checking it on a meter, I commonly give it a few pulses to see how the wire is heating. You want an even glow eminating from the center of the coils out, and adjust your build appropriately.
I dont have an RDA...but in my Billow v2 (a RTA), I do 7 wrap 26g at 2.5mm duals, and I hover at 0.5-0.7Ω.

Well I think there is my problem. I've been having trouble building coils had to throw 3 already. Using tweezers doesn't work like people say. It just unbalances the coils vertically. :/

So if I don't roll it around the screw driver perfectly then I have to throw it or leave it like the one in the picture...

Bubba

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I have not ran into that problem. One thing I have noticed is it is a MESSY RDA when the bottom airflow is open, even the slightest. I wound up capping the bottom ports and ended up with less mess. I enjoy it and love the look and bought another one for my work mech mod.

It sure has a lot of good reviews which is why I got it as a starter RDA :p
That was before I knew that no RDA is for starters, lol.

Bubba

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Okay, so fixed the coils after wasting a lot of wire. It's at 0.28 Ohm right now.
That doesn't solve my problem... It still tastes like crap and makes me cough really hard. Could I be melting something?

yasaboss

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Did you wash the rda before you used it? And did you wash your hands before making the coils and handling the cotton? What's your wattage

Last edited:

cavtruper

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Maybe your cotton is too tight? When you wick, it should pull through without binding or it will not wick fast enough.

Bubba

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Did you wash the rda before you used it? And did you wash your hands before making the coils and handling the cotton? What's your wattage

I didn't wash it... Am I supposed to? Tried it at 30 Watts up to 80 Watts, no difference it's just harder on the throat the higher the watts.

cavtruper

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
It'sOTE="Bubba, post: 637298, member: 25974"]I didn't wash it... Am I supposed to? Tried it at 30 Watts up to 80 Watts, no difference it's just harder on the throat the higher the watts.[/QUOTE]
Its always good to wash new hardware that is machined due to machining oils etc. I don't really do it but is good practice. I'm still betting on your wicks. If you were higher in watts after rebuilding, tried it again, got same burnt taste, lowered watts, and still got nastieness.... It could be because you already burnt wick. Try rewicking loosely, starting low wattage and run it. Let us know!

Mike H.

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I didn't wash it... Am I supposed to? Tried it at 30 Watts up to 80 Watts, no difference it's just harder on the throat the higher the watts.
What is the nicotine content of your juice?.What VG/PG ratio is it?

Bubba

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
3mg, 90% VG.
I followed GrimmGreen's video on how to effectively and easily build coils and wick.
Could it be the cotton?

yasaboss

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I agree on both of the above, as stated check your wicking you want it to slide left and right when wicking but not to lose or so tight it won't move, needs to be snug. I did have slight maching oil in mine around the post had to wash it twice God awful taste when theres oil in rda s.

Mike H.

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
3mg, 90% VG.
I followed GrimmGreen's video on how to effectively and easily build coils and wick.
Could it be the cotton?
Well 3mg and 90vg certainly shouldnt be the issue here...Any cotton or wick really will work if it has the proper amount of juice on it.

I would tear the atty apart..clean it up..recoil and wick it and try again...If you are burning the cotton even in the slightest amount it will be a pretty harsh hit.

Also consider the heat being produced from the atty...super subohm and high power isnt going to be for everyone...I went to 50watts on my CEO rda at .46 ohms and it was pretty strong compared to what i was used to even with 3mg and a 93/7 VG/PG ratio.

yasaboss

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
It's isn't just a random cotton ball at home right? They bleach those, you need a sterile/organic type cotton that hasn't had any chemicals added to whiten it. Japanese or organic cotton

Bubba

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
It's Cotton Bacon. I will try to clean it and answer back

ren.dnb

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Hey @Bubba... I have a Mutation X V4 myself and it was also my first RDA. So I guess I can safely assume you're coming from a sub ohm tank over to an RDA? (I know this could be a DUH question, but just making sure). I got into building myself with the Kanger Subtank Mini, then I moved over to a dedicated RTA (Orchid V7), then over to RDA's. RDA's helped me quit smoking completely as it gave, for me, the most cigarette like experience when taking a draw.

Remember the Ego-T tanks? You had to pick a top coil or bottom coil? If I were to compare RDA's and most tanks to those, I'd say an RDA is closer to a top coil tank... warmer, slightly harsher vapor depending on your pg/vg blend; and most of the tanks nowadays are basically comparable to those bottom coil tanks... smoother cooler vapor depending on pg/vg blend. So from an RDA, the hit, for me at least, has a bit more bite to it than a tank. I'm sure you were expecting that either way but just thought I'd throw it out there.

Next, try a thinner gauge of kanthal in your RDA. I use 26 gauge kanthal normally; I do have 24 gauge but I didn't like how the vapor was or the ramp up time. 24 gauge while it takes longer to ramp up will also get hotter as the coil can retain more heat. Some people like some don't, its not for me so 26 all the way in my world.

I build between .33 - .4 ohms normally. On 26g kanthal, thats about 5-6 wraps or so with a 2mm internal diameter (I have one of those coil master kits, but lately I've been hand wrapping the coils for a little bit of space between the wraps). So, I would change up the kanthal to 26 and see what that does for you. Also follow the advice here as far as test firing the coil and making sure they're warming up evenly and you have a glow from the center out.

I've only been building since January this year (started on RTA's now on RDA's), and the folks here at VU have been extremely helpful while I muddled through everything and figured things out.

Last thing, watch out with the screws on those Mutation X V4's... they can be kinda sharp at the ends, and may cut your wire when you tighten things down (Happens to me a lot on 26g). So don't tighten it down like the incredible hulk using brute force, tighten it down gently like the credible hulk who will attack your points with facts and documentation.

Again, I've only been building starting this year so take my advice for a grain of salt. It was the tons of information in these forums that helped me build consistently like I can today.

Mike H.

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I can buy trying a smaller wire..thick gauge takes more power to heat and does create more heat..Maybe the heat is the issue.

If anything you would maybe see an increase in battery life.

ren.dnb

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
It almost sounds like it... I started on 26g with my Mutation and got curious one day and bought 30ft of 24g thinking I was gonna stay there. But did my first 24g build, popped that sucker on the mod and fired it.... wasn't a big fan of it at the time lol. I might try 24g again but so far, 26g has been a sweet spot for me so I'm not going to mess with it too much right now.

Hopefully @Bubba tries the thinner wire and it fixes things up for him. The mutation is a nice RDA, but it does get messy as stated above and that pisses me off about it lol.. I've since moved on to an Atty3.

cavtruper

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I've since moved on to an Atty3.
OOOOO... I like the black! Dangit! More money to spend! Soon I could have bought a 5 axis CNC machine with all the cash that is flowing out of my pocket and build my own gear! :eek:

Bubba

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
It almost sounds like it... I started on 26g with my Mutation and got curious one day and bought 30ft of 24g thinking I was gonna stay there. But did my first 24g build, popped that sucker on the mod and fired it.... wasn't a big fan of it at the time lol. I might try 24g again but so far, 26g has been a sweet spot for me so I'm not going to mess with it too much right now.

Hopefully @Bubba tries the thinner wire and it fixes things up for him. The mutation is a nice RDA, but it does get messy as stated above and that pisses me off about it lol.. I've since moved on to an Atty3.
Thanks for the info man. I didn't actually check if it's firing from the inside, so after I wash it I will. I know the heat isn't the problem since I tried it on as low as 30 Watts. 7 wraps on 24 gauge gave me 2.8 Ohms, which I heard isn't bad. So it's narrowed down to either the wick or that there might be machine oil in it.

Breazy_Com

Excellence In Service
VU Vendor
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I just gave and built one of these for my son. Totally awesome ! Great flavor and HUGE HUGE clouds ! I did a dual coil 12 wrap 24 gauge Kanthal comes in at .5 ohms. Used Koh Gen Do Japanese cotton for the wicking.

Bubba

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Ok. I cleaned it up, made new perfect looking coils and scraped a screwdriver on it (lit up evenly and from the inside) redid my wick (just in case, I thought I put too much cotton in it), put the juice. SAME TASTE and cough. But guess what, I changed the juice and the flavor and vapor production were freaking amazing! I tried the juice on two sub-ohm tanks and it still sucked.
the hell with that juice, weird thing is I tried it in the shop and it was so good; could it have more nicotine?

Breazy_Com

Excellence In Service
VU Vendor
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Maybe or maybe it's just bad. If it is anywhere in the shop where sunlight is going to be on it that's the end of that. Not sure just saying. But glad you found it out. I knew that Mutation was good !

cavtruper

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Ok. I cleaned it up, made new perfect looking coils and scraped a screwdriver on it (lit up evenly and from the inside) redid my wick (just in case, I thought I put too much cotton in it), put the juice. SAME TASTE and cough. But guess what, I changed the juice and the flavor and vapor production were freaking amazing! I tried the juice on two sub-ohm tanks and it still sucked.
the hell with that juice, weird thing is I tried it in the shop and it was so good; could it have more nicotine?
Bravo! Enjoy!

Bubba

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Thanks for the help anyways there's nothing better than some extra knowledge!

ren.dnb

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Awesome!

Yeah screw that juice lol. Sounds like you got it down. Enjoy the mutation! I sure did... just make sure you don't over drip.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Schmucko

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I have a v4 as well and I love it but I did have some difficulty at first finding a setup that worked. So far I've found that dual vertical coils not only fit better but I get very nice air flow straight up the coils with how I wick them. Not too messy either unless I drip without taking off the cap (which is usually the case because apparently I'm lazy). Currently running 26/32 claptons, 3 wrap on a 3/32 screwdriver but I think plain ol' 26 ga was working better. Play with it and find what works best for you. You have the benefit of choosing bottom, side or a combination for airflow so fine tune before you scrap your setup and have fun with trying new coil builds.

Attachments

• IMG_20150826_161747.jpg
    IMG_20150826_161747.jpg
    510.3 KB · Views: 13

Schmucko

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Also... 2.5mm x 4mm set (grub) screws are available at most home improvement stores and hobby shops. Perfect for cleaning up terminals and puts less strain on pos post when tightening (thing started backing out on me with Philips screws)

Bubba

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
So much space in that build! Nice!
Too early for me to start with the advanced builds :p
I've been dripping from the top and it hasn't leaked yet. I did close the bottom holes with the silicone strips that came with it.
I got a question though, what do I do if I want to switch up a flavor? Do I just smoke over it and eventually the old taste will go away?

ren.dnb

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
So much space in that build! Nice!
Too early for me to start with the advanced builds
I've been dripping from the top and it hasn't leaked yet. I did close the bottom holes with the silicone strips that came with it.
I got a question though, what do I do if I want to switch up a flavor? Do I just smoke over it and eventually the old taste will go away?
You can vape till the coils are closer to dry then drip the new flavor on. It will mix a little then switch up. Unless you're a flavor nazi, then just pull the old wicks, dry burn the coils a bit and rewick.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Schmucko

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I bought the clone so I didn't get the plugs... As for flavors, I vape relatively similar flavors so I just drip over and it'll clear out after about maybe 1/4 ml worth of dripping. And rewicking takes seconds if necessary and i usually change out wicks once a week

VU Sponsors