Muted Flavor on Subtank mini

Panther1911

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Went to a local B&M last night to get a subtank mini, pack of coils (0.5ohm) and some juice.

The juice is 50%VG/50%PG. I am running it on a 30watt istick with the 0.5ohm coil (reading 0.6) @ 25W

I primed the coil by drippng juice on it and filled the tank while in the vape shop. I took a couple puffs, the flavor was fantastic! i started driving home and vaping more the falvor would drop off as it heated up. if i let it sit for a few minutes then took a pull the flavor was good, put if i chain vaped it would go away, just producing flavorless clouds.

When tried turning it down to 22W and same thing.

I got home and put it on the sigelei 150...tried running 22-25W same thing.

This morning i topped off the tank and put it back on the istick 30W and same thing...great flavor for first few pulls then it muted. On the drive into work i was playing with the power and air flow control 15-25W and trying all 3 air holes....same thing..

Is this happening to anyone else? Should i be vaping it closer to 30W? Or do I have a case of vapers tongue lol..when i get this tank empty i will try a different juice to see if it still happens.

This really didnt happen on my Atlantis.

ButtKickers

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Vapers fatigue man

It's a horizontal coil, wicked with jap cotton, with the chimney right in the coil head. It HAS to give rich flavor by design.

Brush your teeth, drink a lot of water, sniff coffee grounds, and try again man lol

VapedCrusader

Custard Junkie
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Yea.. I have the exact opposite experience.. I just filled tank #8 this morning on the same wick and its still putting out amazing flavor at 25watts..

Panther1911

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Thanks guys....in a way i was kind of hoping thats what it was. I think i will blame dehydration for now....lol

ButtKickers

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Yea.. I have the exact opposite experience.. I just filled tank #8 this morning on the same wick and its still putting out amazing flavor at 25watts..
Just keep the heads at 25 and below; they'll last a long time. I've found better vapor, and flavor than the Atlantis by far; using ten less watts. I run the Atlantis at 35

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Panther1911

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
i used to run my atlantis at 28-29.5 depended on mood and juice in it....but sometimes i'd run it on a mech mod....coils didnt last long. I am noticing a cooler vape with the subtank mini, great flavor (when i can taste it) and great vapor production. I am running the subtank at 23-25W.

I would like to get a nano subtank at some point and run the 1.2ohm coils, that way it would keep the battery going longer, juice would last longer, and it would be more "pocket-able" on the itstick 30 than the mini

Panther1911

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Update...

I have been drinking while vaping.

Flavor is back...wow! This thing is awesome! Beats the atlantis.

I picked up a nano today too

Myk

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I wish you had a better answer. I'm getting no flavor from a subtank mini. .5-3Ω, tried watts all over the place. Cotton or silica. Round or ribbon, even twisted.
Same flavors are fine in drippers and gennies. Even went to my usual mint flavor which is strong in everything else. I would think it would have to provide flavor putting mints and menthol in my mouth but it's not.

@Myk
if you are using the OCCs, try "vacuuming" the juice in by puffing it with your airholes close. if you are using the RBA, try using the pancake wicking method. Rip Trippers has a tutorial on how to do it. works wonders on my mini.

Reactions: Myk

VapedCrusader

Custard Junkie
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
since I've been using the mini exclusively for the past 4-5 days.. i can say the flavor is just about spot on compared to the full sized.. no complaints so far (except the rba piece sucks)

Stirling Silver

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
since I've been using the mini exclusively for the past 4-5 days.. i can say the flavor is just about spot on compared to the full sized.. no complaints so far (except the rba piece sucks)

How come you dont like the included RBA? I was gonna switch it out today, but i dont wanna go out and buy new cotton if it isnt worth it.

AmandaD

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
The flavor and vapor in the RBA is amazing, presuming it's heavily wicked (and the channels aren't messed up). I have three and use them all - but you do have to put a ton of wick in there!

Stirling Silver

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
The flavor and vapor in the RBA is amazing, presuming it's heavily wicked (and the channels aren't messed up). I have three and use them all - but you do have to put a ton of wick in there!
How often do you find yourself replacing the wick?

AmandaD

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Not very often. I can't say for sure, because I just put chunky wicks in all of them a couple of days ago, but I've heard people say they're lasting 30mls (depending on juice of course).

Stirling Silver

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Not very often. I can't say for sure, because I just put chunky wicks in all of them a couple of days ago, but I've heard people say they're lasting 30mls (depending on juice of course).
Good to know! Thanks for the tip.

VapedCrusader

Custard Junkie
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
How come you dont like the included RBA? I was gonna switch it out today, but i dont wanna go out and buy new cotton if it isnt worth it.

I think i got one with the awful juice channels.. i need to build it out again and take my time since I rushed the last time and used the pre-made coil and i think there was something wrong with it

Myk

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
@Myk
if you are using the OCCs, try "vacuuming" the juice in by puffing it with your airholes close. if you are using the RBA, try using the pancake wicking method. Rip Trippers has a tutorial on how to do it. works wonders on my mini.

Pancake seems to have worked. I took the iVP mini set up back from my roommate (seemed like .5Ω/30w would work to get him off cigarettes, he said he was using it but it sat there with 3ml and a full battery for over a month) set the RBA up with 1.9Ω/26ga/3.5mm/20-32w and could taste mint. Now I've got watermelon in it which is one of my least flavorful and can taste it.

i can't get any good flavor out of my subtank. neither the mini or nano, priming the coil and using usually low vg juices.. the occ coils are just utter crap in my opinion.. even the new vertical ones. the rba is only way i can get any decent flavor out of this tank.. if i put it against my atlantis v2 it is night and day

i heard poking the cotton with a pin works, it's kind of crazy that might be what it takes to get flavor out of this thing

VU Sponsors