Become a Patron!

my best tips to DIY ejuice

Irving Bolanos

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
The venture into DIY ejuice can seem overwhelming to say the least when you are trying to decided to make the switch from vendor juice to your own recipes. I started vaping on a whim to help a friend quit smoking. it was one of those sure I'll help you quit we will quit together things. both of us successfully quit smoking. I was having a lot of trouble finding flavors I liked and was getting bored of what I had and then one day a google search brought up DIY ejuice. I thought oh man this is for me. I am totally a DIY and hobby guy so I jumped on it. I read and read and read until I had the courage to order supplies. once i got my vapemail in I put everything on the cabinet and stared at it for what felt like hours. I did everything I was supposed to and my juice tasted like crap. for weeks I beat my head against the wall trying to figure out what I was doing wrong. if you are in this rut then maybe these tips will help.

first thing above everything is just have fun ! stop worrying about making the perfect juice. as a new mixer you are going to have to go through a lot of trial and error. mix single flavor batches until you get what you are looking for in a flavor and work from there. if you are getting discouraged because your banana does not taste the way you think it should dont automatically assume its your mixing. more than likely its just a flavor that does not taste the way you want it to. try a lot of brands, as many as you can. each have their own flavor and qualities. one banana may taste nothing like a real banana for pies but is an amazing candy runts banana.

give your juice a chance. dont just throw a few drops on some cotton and give it toot and say oh god this is not what I wanted and toss it. make 3 or 5 ml and vape it all day. take some time to taste all the little things about it that makes it unique from other manufacturers. make a pro and con list in your head or on paper. think about how you can use it or make it work in a different recipe maybe but dont discard it as unusable.

there is no magic number. flavors have ranges where changes happen. some more drastic than others, some none at all. there is a lot of hype especially for new mixers that say you need to use 15-20 % of this or that , so you might go use 20 % coffee flavor for example and blow your taste buds apart. that flavor probably taste really nice at 1%. I can use TFA apple candy just fine at 1 and 2% and taste it and like it. at 10% its almost to sour and like a jolly rancher. I pick up on sour things much easier than others so this is untrue for some. thats where the whole taste is subjective thing comes in. you just have to play with it. if its to strong take some and add half base to it and try it again you might like it.

try it yourself. you cant just go off what you read on some internet site. take recipes and suggestions only as guidelines not rules set in stone. not every juice needs a 3 month steep or 4 hours in crock pot while doing a magic rain dance. tho some do and thats when the fun really begins. if you want to know what 4 hours in a crock pot will do to your juice just try it out! whats the harm. I have crock potted juice at 200 degrees before just because why not. do crazy things like vape bread crust or put tobacco in a cola just because. who knows you may come up with something really unique. when you do remember to share ;)

it took me awhile to realize these things. once I took the pressure off myself to make a certain juice or a clone of whatever vendor brands I liked my mixes got better. I started using the flavors to the particular flavors advantage rather than trying to make it work. meaning I built recipes around the star flavor. I have 2 favorite strawberry flavors.both are very different and if I swapped the 2 they would kill the others recipe. they only work because they have a particular taste. I am by no means a master mixer and constantly learning new things and disproving my old theories. dont give up and let your own tongue decide what you like best not what the majority likes. these are only my ideas and tips to new and old mixers. I like to quote HeadInClouds " get mixin and vape faster"

This may be what my problem is... ive been discouraged lately because of my shitty tasting eliquids but see you enjoy the hobby to me it is very time consuming and tedious i only picked it up for its cost efficiency :( but now i know the short cuts i have been trying to take have probably costed me more than they have earned me making my own mixes with compepletely unknow flavors (using recipes online) guess im way too invested into DIY to quit now(about 200$ in supplies)

wllmc

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Sponsor
VU Challenge Team
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
This may be what my problem is... ive been discouraged lately because of my shitty tasting eliquids but see you enjoy the hobby to me it is very time consuming and tedious i only picked it up for its cost efficiency :( but now i know the short cuts i have been trying to take have probably costed me more than they have earned me making my own mixes with compepletely unknow flavors (using recipes online) guess im way too invested into DIY to quit now(about 200$ in supplies)
Sounds like you have a lot vested. Id be willing to help you come up with some recipes you might enjoy using what have . What type of flavorings do you have now ? What flavor of vape do you enjoy ? If you can get a few things you like and stick with it.

wllmc

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Sponsor
VU Challenge Team
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
I want to throw this out to new mixers reading this. I will always be on vapingunderground. this is my home base. I know I havent put any new recipes out in a while or on the boards much lately due to personal reasons. but I am here and always willing to help create your ADV. send me a PM or ask here :)

Irving Bolanos

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Sounds like you have a lot vested. Id be willing to help you come up with some recipes you might enjoy using what have . What type of flavorings do you have now ? What flavor of vape do you enjoy ? If you can get a few things you like and stick with it.
So far my type of juice is (fruity/tobbaco/[minty or menthol]) or any combination of those three
I have 0 experience with any bakery flavors at all
I have about most of all available Flavorart flavorings
about 10 INAWERA fruit flavors
20 Flavor west flavors (jungle juice = good but missing something) (blue ice= good but also missing something)
2 loranns watermelon(less than a ml but so far my favorite flavor ever) natural chocolate(also very fking good)
10 TFA flavors (vanilla = pretty good)

Irving Bolanos

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
i have two order lists from ecx that tell what 90% of my flavors are will post those so that i can be more specific

Apple by FlavourArt

Apple Pie by FlavourArt

Blackcurrant by FlavourArt

Catalan Cream by FlavourArt

Custard by FlavourArt

Desert Ship Tobacco by FlavourArt

Flash by FlavourArt

Fresh Cream by FlavourArt

Fuji Apple by FlavourArt

Mango by FlavourArt

Menthol Arctic by FlavourArt

Oba Oba by FlavourArt

Peach by FlavourArt

Raspberry by FlavourArt

Watermelon by FlavourArt

White Peach by FlavourArt

Vanilla Classic by FlavourArt
Cream Flavoring by Hangsen

Juicy Peach Flavoring by Hangsen -10ml

Watermelon Flavoring by Hangsen -10ml

Mint USA Flavoring by Hangsen -10ml

Blueberry by Inawera 10ml

Exotic Fruits by Inawera 10ml

Strawberry by Inawera 10ml

Melon by Inawera 10ml

Pear by Inawera 10ml

Vape Wizard by FlavourArt

Cookie by FlavourArt

Kiwi by FlavourArt

Lychee by FlavourArt

Mad Fruit by FlavourArt

Jungle Juice by Flavor West

Blue Ice by Flavor West

Marshmallow by FlavourArt

Spearmint by FlavourArt

Pear by FlavourArt

Menthol Smooth Flavoring by Hangsen 10ml

Honey Peach by Jungle Flavors

AND............

American Tobacco USA Blend by Flavor West

Bavarian Cream by Flavor West

Blue Ice by Flavor West

Blueberry by Flavor West

Capsicum HEAT by Flavor West

Cheesecake by Flavor West

Cola by Flavor West

Coumarin Pipe by Flavor West

Dr Cola by Flavor West

Dragon Fruit by Flavor West

Ecto Cooler by Flavor West

Extreme Ice by Flavor West

Graham Cracker by Flavor West

Guava by Flavor West

Green Apple by Flavor West

Grape by Flavor West

Gummy Bear by Flavor West

Lemonade by Flavor West

Mango by Flavor West

Max Dew by Flavor West

Monstrous by Flavor West

Orange Dream Bar by Flavor West

Rainbow Line Gum by Flavor West

Peach by Flavor West

Strawberry by Flavor West

Sweetener by Flavor West

Vanilla Cupcake by Flavor West

Red Energy by Flavor West

Ethyl Maltol Powder

Size
20 grams

Koolada Powder 20 grams

Vanilla Custard by Flavor West

Last edited:

wllmc

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Sponsor
VU Challenge Team
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
So far my type of juice is (fruity/tobbaco/[minty or menthol]) or any combination of those three
I have 0 experience with any bakery flavors at all
I have about most of all available Flavorart flavorings
about 10 INAWERA fruit flavors
20 Flavor west flavors (jungle juice = good but missing something) (blue ice= good but also missing something)
2 loranns watermelon(less than a ml but so far my favorite flavor ever) natural chocolate(also very fking good)
10 TFA flavors (vanilla = pretty good)
awesome , I like fruity tobacco vapes to , when I vape tobacco. here is a cherry tobacco idea http://vapingunderground.com/threads/wllmcs-cherry-backy.2392/ and this one is really good also. I havent talked to anyone who doesnt enjoy this apple tobacco http://vapingunderground.com/threads/wllmcs-its-dark-in-fuji-apple-tobacco.2385/ there are a couple ideas but I can just say keep it low on the % and try some speed steeping and natural steeping for the tobacco.

wllmc

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Sponsor
VU Challenge Team
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
i have two order lists from ecx that tell what 90% of my flavors are will post those so that i can be more specific

Apple by FlavourArt

Apple Pie by FlavourArt

Blackcurrant by FlavourArt

Catalan Cream by FlavourArt

Custard by FlavourArt

Desert Ship Tobacco by FlavourArt

Flash by FlavourArt

Fresh Cream by FlavourArt

Fuji Apple by FlavourArt

Mango by FlavourArt

Menthol Arctic by FlavourArt

Oba Oba by FlavourArt

Peach by FlavourArt

Raspberry by FlavourArt

Watermelon by FlavourArt

White Peach by FlavourArt

Vanilla Classic by FlavourArt
Cream Flavoring by Hangsen

Juicy Peach Flavoring by Hangsen -10ml

Watermelon Flavoring by Hangsen -10ml

Mint USA Flavoring by Hangsen -10ml

Blueberry by Inawera 10ml

Exotic Fruits by Inawera 10ml

Strawberry by Inawera 10ml

Melon by Inawera 10ml

Pear by Inawera 10ml

Vape Wizard by FlavourArt

Cookie by FlavourArt

Kiwi by FlavourArt

Lychee by FlavourArt

Mad Fruit by FlavourArt

Blue Ice by Flavor West

Marshmallow by FlavourArt

Spearmint by FlavourArt

Pear by FlavourArt

Menthol Smooth Flavoring by Hangsen 10ml

Honey Peach by Jungle Flavors

AND............

American Tobacco USA Blend by Flavor West

Bavarian Cream by Flavor West

Blue Ice by Flavor West

Blueberry by Flavor West

Capsicum HEAT by Flavor West

Cheesecake by Flavor West

Size
10ml

7-14-0109-00-08-99 $2.39
Ordered: 1
Shipped: 1
$2.39
Cola by Flavor West

Size
10ml

7-14-0155-00-08-99 $2.39
$2.39
Coumarin Pipe by Flavor West

Size
10ml

7-14-0161-00-08-99 $2.39
$2.39
Dr Cola by Flavor West

Size
10ml

7-14-0186-00-08-99 $2.39
$2.39
Dragon Fruit by Flavor West

Size
10ml

7-14-0187-00-08-99 $2.39
$2.39
Ecto Cooler by Flavor West

Size
10ml

7-14-0191-00-08-99 $2.39
$2.39
Extreme Ice by Flavor West

Size
10ml

7-14-0196-00-08-99 $2.39
$2.39
Graham Cracker by Flavor West

Size
10ml

7-14-0221-00-08-99 $2.39
$2.39
Guava by Flavor West

Size
10ml

7-14-0231-00-08-99 $2.39
$2.39
Green Apple by Flavor West

Size
10ml

7-14-0222-00-08-99 $2.39
$2.39
Grape by Flavor West

Size
10ml

7-14-0223-00-08-99 $2.39
$2.39
Gummy Bear by Flavor West

Size
10ml

7-14-0233-00-08-99 $2.39
$2.39
Lemonade by Flavor West

Size
10ml

7-14-0290-00-08-99 $2.39
$2.39

Size
10ml

7-14-0268-00-08-99 $2.39
$2.39
Mango by Flavor West

Size
10ml

7-14-0307-00-08-99 $2.39
$2.39
Max Dew by Flavor West

Size
10ml

7-14-0317-00-08-99 $2.39
$2.39
Monstrous by Flavor West

Size
10ml

7-14-0339-00-08-99 $2.39
$2.39
Orange Dream Bar by Flavor West

Size
10ml

7-14-0352-00-08-99 $2.39
$2.39
Rainbow Line Gum by Flavor West

Size
10ml

7-14-0209-00-08-99 $2.39
$2.39
Peach by Flavor West

Size
10ml

7-14-0366-00-08-99 $2.39
$2.39
Strawberry by Flavor West

Size
10ml

7-14-0444-00-08-99 $2.39
$2.39
Sweetener by Flavor West

Size
10ml

7-14-0457-00-08-99 $2.39
$2.39
Vanilla Cupcake by Flavor West

Size
10ml

7-14-0489-00-08-99 $2.39
$2.39
Red Energy by Flavor West

Size
10ml

7-14-0399-00-08-99 $2.39
$2.39
Ethyl Maltol Powder

Size
20 grams

6-99-0006-00-10-00 $4.99
$4.99
Koolada Powder 20 grams
6-99-0005-00-10-00 $8.99
$8.99
Vanilla Custard by Flavor West

Size
thats a nice looking list. I dont know much on the hangsen stuff. @HeadInClouds might have some pointers maybe on those. I like the flavor art stuff for sure any between 1-3% and the tobaccos I start really low. 0.25% usually and go up from there unless a trusted source tells me 1% is ok lol. some of that stuff is so strong. the flavor west stuff maybe start lower than most recommendations and start at like 5 % and go up. I usually stop around 10%. it's usually just meh anyways. the one that interest me is that ecto cooler. I hear a lot about it but just never order it.

Irving Bolanos

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
awesome , I like fruity tobacco vapes to , when I vape tobacco. here is a cherry tobacco idea http://vapingunderground.com/threads/wllmcs-cherry-backy.2392/ and this one is really good also. I havent talked to anyone who doesnt enjoy this apple tobacco http://vapingunderground.com/threads/wllmcs-its-dark-in-fuji-apple-tobacco.2385/ there are a couple ideas but I can just say keep it low on the % and try some speed steeping and natural steeping for the tobacco.
sad panda im missing so many flavors for that lol but nice try :) guess i dont have 90% of FA flavors with the amount of money i spent i felt like i did :(

thats a nice looking list. I dont know much on the hangsen stuff. @HeadInClouds might have some pointers maybe on those. I like the flavor art stuff for sure any between 1-3% and the tobaccos I start really low. 0.25% usually and go up from there unless a trusted source tells me 1% is ok lol. some of that stuff is so strong. the flavor west stuff maybe start lower than most recommendations and start at like 5 % and go up. I usually stop around 10%. it's usually just meh anyways. the one that interest me is that ecto cooler. I hear a lot about it but just never order it.
The ecto cooler from flavorwest tastes dead on like the one from mt.bakervapor jungle juice is the base for mt.bakervapor thug juice i just made a hagsen batch for tonight(graduation party) which tastes terrible i did a 5% juicy peach 2%watermelon and so far not good not sure whats wrong but next ima try dropping the % down (i think thats what it is) too bad i made 50ml's of it :/ or i might just cut it by1/5 withVG

wllmc

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Sponsor
VU Challenge Team
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
sad panda im missing so many flavors for that lol but nice try :) guess i dont have 90% of FA flavors with the amount of money i spent i felt like i did :(
I know the feeling. it took me a long time lol. the best way to get a bunch of fa to start with are sample bottles. I havent used purevapes in awhile but they have some 3ml 1.50 bottles and fair shipping prices. then you can branch out and get your bigger bottles somewhere else when you decide what you like best. bull city is pretty awesome to. they have a lot of sample sizes. I dumped a ton of money on the flavor apprentice in the beginning. sucked bad lol. I gave a bunch away , dumped a bunch and still have some of my original order I'll probably never touch. once I just stuck with flavor art everything got so much better at a faster rate. VT nic helps to. you can get sample sizes of VT nic at bull city also for a few bucks. worth a shot anyways. I think what it was is flavor art taught me restraint. I learned most recommended % are over shot. when you start mixing flavors start thinking 1% and half percents especially with the flavor art. I hope I could help a little. I know the frustration. you have all the supplies, may as well keep plugging away at it. Im sure you will come up with something great. hop in on the flavor art thread to. its a fast moving thread but a lot of advice. everyone is really nice and helpful.

Last edited:

Irving Bolanos

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I know the feeling. it took me a long time lol. the best way to get a bunch of fa to start with are sample bottles. I havent used purevapes in awhile but they have some 3ml 1.50 bottles and fair shipping prices. then you can branch out and get your bigger bottles somewhere else when you decide what you like best. bull city is pretty awesome to. they have a lot of sample sizes. I dumped a ton of money on the flavor apprentice in the beginning. sucked bad lol. I gave a bunch away , dumped a bunch and still have some of my original order I'll probably never touch. once I just stuck with flavor art everything got so much better at a faster rate. VT nic helps to. you can get sample sizes of VT nic at bull city also for a few bucks. worth a shot anyways. I think what it was is flavor art taught me restraint. I learned most recommended % are over shot. when you start mixing flavors start thinking 1% and half percents especially with the flavor art. I hope I could help a little. I know the frustration. you have all the supplies, may as well keep plugging away at it. Im sure you will come up with something great. hop in on the flavor art thread to. its a fast moving thread but a lot of advice. everyone is really nice and helpful.
i actually am nic free right now thats why i bought flash from FA and capsicum from flavor west... i miss nicotine but am a new RN graduate and hospitals in texas drup test for nicotine (i hope to get hired in a hospital so i gotta quit for now) will pick nicotine back up once i have a job however i have noticed nicotine never hurts my flavors it only enhances them :D well thats my experience so far i guess i have to have patience :( oh well ill take your advice and start making single flavor batches at a time and start at 1% from now on
i have to throw in some questions i really need answered :eek:
Can your source of PG/VG alter your eliquid's taste? (Bought both of mine from ebay[way cheaper than anywhere else])

How much koolada/EM/Menthol/sweetner powder do i mix to get a 10% mixture i have no scale for weighing

Last edited:

wllmc

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Sponsor
VU Challenge Team
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
i actually am nic free right now thats why i bought flash from FA and capsicum from flavor west... i miss nicotine but am a new RN graduate and hospitals in texas drup test for nicotine (i hope to get hired in a hospital so i gotta quit for now) will pick nicotine back up once i have a job however i have noticed nicotine never hurts my flavors it only enhances them :D well thats my experience so far i guess i have to have patience :( oh well ill take your advice and start making single flavor batches at a time and start at 1% from now on

Can your source of PG/VG alter your eliquid's taste? (Bought both of mine from ebay[way cheaper than anywhere else])
I sound like a broken record but bull city has really good VG and PG . it can affect your flavors. it is different making zero nic vapes. my wife vapes zero nic. I can make the same recipe but hers always taste different than mine. your right about that throat hit. she actually seems to like single flavor vapes now that you mention zero nic. try that. it might be plain or boring but just for fun try one of your FA fruits around 1% with nothing else and see how you like that. maybe she just has boring taste buds to lol...... dont tell her I said that . hahahaha

wllmc

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Sponsor
VU Challenge Team
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
that wont help your TH problem tho . try some jamacian rum someday. its an awesome flavor and Im not a big fan of rum at all. I like the TH I get from that not harsh or hard but its there.

Irving Bolanos

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I sound like a broken record but bull city has really good VG and PG . it can affect your flavors. it is different making zero nic vapes. my wife vapes zero nic. I can make the same recipe but hers always taste different than mine. your right about that throat hit. she actually seems to like single flavor vapes now that you mention zero nic. try that. it might be plain or boring but just for fun try one of your FA fruits around 1% with nothing else and see how you like that. maybe she just has boring taste buds to lol...... dont tell her I said that . hahahaha
lol I WILL TELL HER EVERYTHING!!!!!!!!!! j/k i see interesting :eek: but honestly i think it was my lack of patience and making 50 ml test batches :D sorry about making you repeat yourself i dont mean too D:
any idea how much koolada/EM/Menthol/sweetner powder do i mix to get a 10% mixture i have no scale for weighing
hmmm i never bought liquor flavors because i assumed they would be disgusting next order il try this jamaican rum

wllmc

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Sponsor
VU Challenge Team
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
lol I WILL TELL HER EVERYTHING!!!!!!!!!! j/k i see interesting :eek: but honestly i think it was my lack of patience and making 50 ml test batches :D sorry about making you repeat yourself i dont mean too D:
any idea how much koolada/EM/Menthol/sweetner powder do i mix to get a 10% mixture i have no scale for weighing
hmmm i never bought liquor flavors because i assumed they would be disgusting next order il try this jamaican rum
eyeball a tenth in a bottle and add pg lol. for the koolada or menthol I would probably fill a bottle at least half way and fill with PG. it will be really strong but easier to use. could get away with a drop of it. would last forever. thats just my thought on it anyways. I dont like sweetener but I would eyeball a tenth on that and the em with no scale. close enough will work until you got a scale. or forever. I like FA whiskey and Irish cream is the bomb.

Edd

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
i miss nicotine but am a new RN graduate and hospitals in texas drup test for nicotine
Completely off topic lol, my wife works at a hospital and was telling me they are gonna test new hires for nicotine too...I didn't believe her hahaha.
Good luck with the job and the DIY.

Irving Bolanos

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Completely off topic lol, my wife works at a hospital and was telling me they are gonna test new hires for nicotine too...I didn't believe her hahaha.
Good luck with the job and the DIY.
you fool lol :) i was pissed (discalimer what im about to say will be very controversial) [BTW i am overweight bmi of 29.9] The argument presented as to the reason behind not hiring smokers is A. they dont want to support unhealthy habits/lifestyles B.Insurance costs A. is stupid because the #2 cause of preventable deadly illnesses is obesity(almost tied with smoking believe it or not dont have the recent sutdy on hand but google it) B. is stupid because obesity also adds a HUGE expense to insurance they go after smokers because its easier to use them as a scapegoat back on topic

if they persecute smokers/vapers/dippers they need to persecute those who are overweight as well (myself included)

wllmc

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Sponsor
VU Challenge Team
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
you fool lol :) i was pissed (discalimer what im about to say will be very controversial) [BTW i am overweight bmi of 29.9] The argument presented as to the reason behind not hiring smokers is A. they dont want to support unhealthy habits/lifestyles B.Insurance costs A. is stupid because the #2 cause of preventable deadly illnesses is obesity(almost tied with smoking believe it or not dont have the recent sutdy on hand but google it) B. is stupid because obesity also adds a HUGE expense to insurance they go after smokers because its easier to use them as a scapegoat back on topic

if they persecute smokers/vapers/dippers they need to persecute those who are overweight as well (myself included)
I figured this was the reasoning.pretty stupid.

Reactions: Edd

huston

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
and the fact that they test for nicotine is stupid. Nicotine isnt anymore harmful than caffeine. Just addicting. Its all the other crap from analogs that kill yah not the nicotine!

wllmc

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Sponsor
VU Challenge Team
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
and the fact that they test for nicotine is stupid. Nicotine isnt anymore harmful than caffeine. Just addicting. Its all the other crap from analogs that kill yah not the nicotine!
can I get an AMEN ! lol

NGAHaze

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years

It's worse than that in fact. I read an article that talked about how some insurance companies are gathering info on their policyholders buying habits and making 'suggestions' based on what they feel is excessive or undesirable behavior. Now you know why all the grocery stores practically force you into signing up for their 'loyalty' cards! :eek:

The article went on to say that they plan on expanding the program to include penalties if policyholders exhibit unhealthy buying tendencies such as multiple alcohol purchases within a set period of time. :mad:

This type of thing is exactly why I, for the most part, do not embrace social media ... all of those folks will sell your information to whomever will pay for it!

Chuck H.

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I was frustrated with vendor supplied e-liquid so two years ago I started my DIY adventure. I am by no means a master but I can make some very good e-liquid . I still buy vendor liquid if its tried and true , from time to time .

wllmc

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Sponsor
VU Challenge Team
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
I was frustrated with vendor supplied e-liquid so two years ago I started my DIY adventure. I am by no means a master but I can make some very good e-liquid . I still buy vendor liquid if its tried and true , from time to time .
nice to meet you man. hope to see some of your experience around here. always room for more :)

FL_David

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
I got into DIY once I found out the markup on commercial made e-liquid. It has become a fun hobby even though I have spent quite a bit on flavors.
A new meaning to "flavor chaser".

I did allot of reading to learn how to craft my e-liquid and am always looking to learn more. Thanks to all for helping us become better at this hobby.

Bplus

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
damn sorry I missed this. of your list I also do not add any of that stuff but marshmallow. if I cant make a good vape without voodoo magic its not worth it to me. easiest way to be successful at mixing is quality ingredients. greab some flavor art and some VT nicotine and vape on lol. they way I like to test flavors is just vape it up :) cost a couple pennies but in addition to water is whipped cream. get a spoonful of whipped cream and put a drop of flavoring in it and swirl it around with a tooth pick. you cant dial in % like that but way more delicious that water hahaha
another good tip to broaden you mixology skills is to ditch the vape forums. start reading other articles and forums about cooking and DIY things. I made Dr Fn Pepper from reading the history of DP and soda syrup forums. think like a chef.
Very true. I'll have to dig into flavour art eventually. The bulk of what I have is TFA.
Slowly getting a little better and started adding about 25% pg and it seems to help some flavor muting I was experiencing.

I have been vaping for 3 years and for many I have searched for the best DIY flavor concentrates. Look no further than vapingzone.com! Best peach, green apple, duchess pear, watermelon, honeydew melon flavors I have ever tried! Thank me later

RodC

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
New to DIY..... have made quite a few small batches. Most make me cough like crazy. Adjusting the nic level isn't helping much. Lowering pg isn't either. Tried lowering percentages in my pg based flavors and that seems to help some but the flavor is very weak. I'm using concentrated flavors. What is a good percentage?

RodC

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
CAP and Loranns mostly and usually around 10-20 percent.

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Some people don't tolerate higher levels of PG well. Granted, most flavorings are PG based. If you were to switch into more concentrated flavorings and possibly higher VG ratio, it might help. Less flavoring, less PG. Personally, I can't tolerate high VG ratios. Plays wicked tricks on my lungs, makes me cough and have a tight/heavy chest. Just tossing out options.

Hopefully you'll get more input by others, too. I've tried Loranns. They weren't for me. I do have some Caps, but use those typically at 6% or less, but I do mix them with other flavors. I use a LOT of FA, some TFA, Caps, INW and Hangsen.

Have you looked around the DIY reviews section or the recipes? There's a lot of useful info in there, as well. Everything from flavorings, to Nic and PG/VG. I hope it all works out for you. DIY can be very satisfying once you find your niche.

wllmc

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Sponsor
VU Challenge Team
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
New to DIY..... have made quite a few small batches. Most make me cough like crazy. Adjusting the nic level isn't helping much. Lowering pg isn't either. Tried lowering percentages in my pg based flavors and that seems to help some but the flavor is very weak. I'm using concentrated flavors. What is a good percentage?
sorry I missed this. can I ask a couple question? what brand PG/VG are you using? what nic brand are you using ? and how do you vape? high power , low power? tanks or drippers ? just trying to get a overlook at whats going on , not that I care how or what you vape just trying to dial it in :) I see the flavoring you are using so thats why I didnt ask that

wally

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
The biggest tip I can give after almost 4 years is the higher % the longer the steep. The higher the % does not always mean more a lot of the time you will go backwards. Here is a perfect example. NF toffee 7% great flavor, NF toffee 14% no flavor this applies many times this is why some have higher % longer steep when actually small % (better flavors) three day steep if needed rule. If you ever notice going to the B&M,s most all the vapes they have tast horrible or just not so good. I can take the same flavor using the same flavor company and make it taste very good simply by using % of say .5 to 4% in most cases. Use a very high grade pg, vg, nic that is Minimum 99.5% purity USP grade Kosher certified suitable for use as a carrier base and dilutant for organic Nicotine solutions. Be sure to ck there Material safety data sheets and make sure it is made here in the states. Because a few popular companies mentioned here are not being legit. I use a company in lower Florida for this reason. I have no problems selling my juices I make juices that are only all day vapes and forget the rest I let the big companies sell that stuff. Hope this helps.

wllmc

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Sponsor
VU Challenge Team
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
Because a few popular companies mentioned here are not being legit. I use a company in lower Florida for this reason. I have no problems selling my juices I make juices that are only all day vapes and forget the rest I let the big companies sell that stuff. Hope this helps.
how about you go make a wallys DIY tips then and share your OPINIONS there with your awesome ADV's :)

wally

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
how about you go make a wallys DIY tips then and share your OPINIONS there with your awesome ADV's :)
Sorry did not mean to take your thread. It says my best tips for diy ejuice so when I read it all I thought was MY so I gave my lol . This is sunday morning after a long Holiday please forgive me

RodC

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Ok, I will try to provide as much info as I can, so pls bare with me.

Everything that I have, I ordered from Wizard Labs. 1.2% Nic base, VG, PG and a variety of flavors ranging from LA, CAP, TFA. From what I can tell, I don't seem to find any "brand" name on the bottles, but assume the quality is good or at least sufficient. My target nic usually stays around 18, but have been playing around with the pg/vg ratio to try and alleviate the bite and coughing, but typically stay around 35/65 - 40/60 pg/vg. Vendor juices I prefer a 60/40 blend mostly because I prefer taste over cloud but wouldn't mind a better mix of both, to be honest. Most flavor percentages I'm using are from 15-30% and I am beginning to suspect that this is too high of a percentage for the blend since these are concentrated flavors. I have tried less than 10% and the flavor is much weaker and the "bite" is less severe, but still present and flavor is weaker. And of course, I don't think that I am allowing the brew to steep long enough to let it mature lol. I am impatient, what can I say lol. My next batch, I want to try to speed steep which I have researched several methods on how to do that.

Any help is greatly appreciated. I love doing this myself but am getting frustrated because I can't get it dialed in to anything close to enjoyable. But, I refuse to give up.

wllmc

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Sponsor
VU Challenge Team
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
Sorry did not mean to take your thread. It says my best tips for diy ejuice so when I read it all I thought was MY so I gave my lol . This is sunday morning after a long Holiday please forgive me
its ok wally , I got a little quick to defend the thread. there has been a lot back and forth here and this is my little sanctuary to interact lol. I dont even know you so my reaction was a bit much. happy sunday to you also :)

RodC

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Ok, made up a new batch. 20mls, 18nic, 50/50, 8% combined flavor. Speed steeped for about 4 hours in hot tap water. Still harsh and making me cough. Not understanding this at all. Perhaps the CAP, TFA flavors are not agreeing with me? If I go much lower I won't be able to taste it.
The only other thing that I can think of that it could be is the fact that my Nic base is 120/1.2%. But I am following the calc to the letter when mixing and exact on all of my measurements. Is that too high a nic base?
I have got to get this figured out.

HeadInClouds

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Vape Media
Unlisted Vendor
Ok, made up a new batch. 20mls, 18nic, 50/50, 8% combined flavor. Speed steeped for about 4 hours in hot tap water. Still harsh and making me cough. Not understanding this at all. Perhaps the CAP, TFA flavors are not agreeing with me? If I go much lower I won't be able to taste it.
The only other thing that I can think of that it could be is the fact that my Nic base is 120/1.2%. But I am following the calc to the letter when mixing and exact on all of my measurements. Is that too high a nic base?
I have got to get this figured out.

Have you tried vaping your nic base with no flavoring at all? That would tell you whether flavors or base are causing your coughing.

AmandaD

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I'm just a touch confused about your nic base. The max from Wizard Labs is 100mg/ml - which is 10%. Assuming you are actually mixing at 18mg, it's possible that either the vg, the pg, or the flavorings are making you cough. High VG makes me cough. High PG makes other people cough. Also, I'm in love with Caps Vanilla Custard, and that makes me cough also!

RodC

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I'm just a touch confused about your nic base. The max from Wizard Labs is 100mg/ml - which is 10%. Assuming you are actually mixing at 18mg, it's possible that either the vg, the pg, or the flavorings are making you cough. High VG makes me cough. High PG makes other people cough. Also, I'm in love with Caps Vanilla Custard, and that makes me cough also!

You are correct. I misread my labels. I have 120ml of 12mg. So now, I'm suspecting a mixing issue on the nic side. This is getting confusing lol.
So when the calc is asking me for my base, I was inputting 120. So, now I go back and input 12? And yes, I am trying to get a target nic of 18mg per ml.

AmandaD

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Well, if you have 12mg of base, you can't make it 18mg. So, let's assume the max you can get is around 10mg (assuming flavoring). As headinclouds suggested, just try vaping the base, and see if that makes you cough (at 12 mg).

RodC

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Well, if you have 12mg of base, you can't make it 18mg. So, let's assume the max you can get is around 10mg (assuming flavoring). As headinclouds suggested, just try vaping the base, and see if that makes you cough (at 12 mg).

Yeah I just input 10 because the calc said I can't do the 18. So, that is a ton more nic that I have been mixing in, which means I have been getting way way less than the target of 18 I thought I was. So, this leads me to my next question. If I am coughing on a much weaker strength nic mix.... it would stand to assume that the nic was never the problem. Which narrows it down a bit, but now my dilemma is... is it the mix ratio of pg/vg? I would assume that a 50/50 would be palatable since my vendor juices that I buy are typically 60/40. So that is leading me towards the concentrated flavorings. And with an 8% flavor mix.... I just can't seem to understand how I've dropped it so low and still cough. (shrugs) Any lower, i won't be able to taste it, as right now, it's hard to taste even after speed steeping for hours.
I'm sorry I'm such a headache but this is really racking my brain.

AmandaD

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Yeah I just input 10 because the calc said I can't do the 18. So, that is a ton more nic that I have been mixing in, which means I have been getting way way less than the target of 18 I thought I was. So, this leads me to my next question. If I am coughing on a much weaker strength nic mix.... it would stand to assume that the nic was never the problem. Which narrows it down a bit, but now my dilemma is... is it the mix ratio of pg/vg? I would assume that a 50/50 would be palatable since my vendor juices that I buy are typically 60/40. So that is leading me towards the concentrated flavorings. And with an 8% flavor mix.... I just can't seem to understand how I've dropped it so low and still cough. (shrugs) Any lower, i won't be able to taste it, as right now, it's hard to taste even after speed steeping for hours.
I'm sorry I'm such a headache but this is really racking my brain.

So, here's what I would do (and did once): vape straight PG, then vape straight VG. See what happens. (As it turned out I coughed with everything LOL) Then, assuming neither makes you cough, start with the flavorings. I would try the Capella first (yummy, but often questionnable ingredients).

I should also add that if you were a heavy smoker for a long time (I smoked a pack a day for 40 years) it might be that your lungs don't take kindly to anything.

RodC

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
So, here's what I would do (and did once): vape straight PG, then vape straight VG. See what happens. (As it turned out I coughed with everything LOL) Then, assuming neither makes you cough, start with the flavorings. I would try the Capella first (yummy, but often questionnable ingredients).

I should also add that if you were a heavy smoker for a long time (I smoked a pack a day for 40 years) it might be that your lungs don't take kindly to anything.

I think I was having the same thought as you as you were typing. I'll vape a straight PG, then VG, see what happens. Then a 50/50 and see what happens..... then move on to adding flavors. I know for a fact that I'm not allowing my mix to steep long enough to mature the flavors, which stands to reason why the flavor is so weak...but I can't help it. I want to taste it right now and see where it is and how it tastes. I've really got to get the speed steeping thing down so I don't have to wait days or weeks to mature the flavor. I simply don't have the patience to wait a week just to see how the mix turned out only to find out it's not right. lol
I will start at 5% flavorings, speed steep and work from there.
Thank you for the assistance :) I'm sure I'll be back soon enough lol

AmandaD

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I think I was having the same thought as you as you were typing. I'll vape a straight PG, then VG, see what happens. Then a 50/50 and see what happens..... then move on to adding flavors. I know for a fact that I'm not allowing my mix to steep long enough to mature the flavors, which stands to reason why the flavor is so weak...but I can't help it. I want to taste it right now and see where it is and how it tastes. I've really got to get the speed steeping thing down so I don't have to wait days or weeks to mature the flavor. I simply don't have the patience to wait a week just to see how the mix turned out only to find out it's not right. lol
I will start at 5% flavorings, speed steep and work from there.
Thank you for the assistance :) I'm sure I'll be back soon enough lol

Lots of flavors actually don't need steeping. What are you mixing?

VU Sponsors