Become a Patron!

my best tips to DIY ejuice

RodC

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Lots of flavors actually don't need steeping. What are you mixing?

The majority of my flavors are TFA and CAP. Graham cracker, sweet cream, honey, sweetener, brandy, caramel, and some kind of banana something. I can tell the banana doesn't need much steeping at all as it is very potent straight in the mix. I also have strawberries and cream on the way...so add that into the mix.

AmandaD

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
The majority of my flavors are TFA and CAP. Graham cracker, sweet cream, honey, sweetener, brandy, caramel, and some kind of banana something. I can tell the banana doesn't need much steeping at all as it is very potent straight in the mix. I also have strawberries and cream on the way...so add that into the mix.

Hmm, the strawberries and cream is pretty potent with no steeping. The others are, for me at any rate, just mixers to go with other flavors. Generally I find the higher the percentage of flavorings the longer they need to steep I use mainly Flavor Art at low percentages, so the most they need to sit is a day to at least be vapeable. For higher percentages without spices I find 4 hours in a crockpot at 150 degrees makes them ready by the next day.

Chuck H.

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I just made an order of my favorite flavors from wizard labs . I needed to re-stock my fav's ,so now I'll wait , I have six flavors by TFA that I prefer all are tried and meet my standard . After doing an inventory of my favorites I felt a need to re-up so I can get busy making plenty of my daily vape liquids and allow 3 weeks of steeping time . I like to take my time and not rush the steeping / breathing process , this is what works for me , don't rush ! So by monday 1-04-2015 I will have 160 ml.
. of flavor providing the trusty mail carrier doesn't let me down ! I have tried about 30 different TFA flavors and narrowed it down to six that I can use with confidence. I have used about six different suppliers of the same flavors and sadly they fall short of my standards !!!

Last edited:

RodC

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Hmm, the strawberries and cream is pretty potent with no steeping. The others are, for me at any rate, just mixers to go with other flavors. Generally I find the higher the percentage of flavorings the longer they need to steep I use mainly Flavor Art at low percentages, so the most they need to sit is a day to at least be vapeable. For higher percentages without spices I find 4 hours in a crockpot at 150 degrees makes them ready by the next day.
Ok, I tried vaping straight PG, then VG.... figured out my coughing is coming from the VG. Good to go on that.
Just mixed up 10mls using 12mg/ml base nic. The following is what the calc told me to mix for a target of 10mg/ml juice.
Base Nic - 8.3mls
PG - 0
VG = 0.8
Combined flavors - 0.9

Vaped it....tasted good. Didn't cough. But, instantly got light headed and now have a headache. Does that base nic amount seem strong for a 10mg target? I sure as hell don't want to poison myself. I typically vape vendor juice at 60/40 with target of 18mg/ml....with no headache or light headed issues.

wllmc

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Sponsor
VU Challenge Team
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
only thing I can think of with a headache is to high nic but you are starting lower than your normal vendor nic. did you get any on your hands by chance? when I first started DIY even 12mg nic would make me light headed of I got it on my hands. I'm reaching on that one but possible I guess.

RodC

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
The numbers look right. But try diluting it in half and see.
Mix up another batch the same, just 0 nic? I'm assuming.... and mix them together

RodC

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
only thing I can think of with a headache is to high nic but you are starting lower than your normal vendor nic. did you get any on your hands by chance? when I first started DIY even 12mg nic would make me light headed of I got it on my hands. I'm reaching on that one but possible I guess.
I really don't think I got any on my hands. I'm pretty careful when handling it, but I suppose anything is possible and I just didn't notice. Very good point, tho. And thanks for the tip

wllmc

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Sponsor
VU Challenge Team
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
I really don't think I got any on my hands. I'm pretty careful when handling it, but I suppose anything is possible and I just didn't notice. Very good point, tho. And thanks for the tip
your using the same ol same ol vaping device you always use right ? some people use different stuff for testing is the only reason I ask. higher power or more efficient equipment obviously delivers nic better. I test with what I vape daily with but just another thought that came to mind doubt thats it either Im sure you know all that.

RodC

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
your using the same ol same ol vaping device you always use right ? some people use different stuff for testing is the only reason I ask. higher power or more efficient equipment obviously delivers nic better. I test with what I vape daily with but just another thought that came to mind doubt thats it either Im sure you know all that.
I have 3 separate mods that I switch throughout the day just to mix up the flavors. So, yes... it was tested on one of them.

RodC

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Ok, obviously, inputting 120mg/ml nic base instead of 12 was NOT helping me, at all lol..... Got that straightened out now. Found out I'm sensitive to higher VG ratios, so my last two batches were 70/30 - 80/20, so MUCH MUCH better and no coughing. Now to play around with the flavors a little :eek:) And diluted the batch that was making me light headed and head achy lol. 100% better.
I just wanted to thank everyone for their input and advice. I couldn't have done it without you!! With your help, I can, finally, enjoy what I mix. Very thankful for your experience and that I joined the group. Happy Vaping! :eek:)

AmandaD

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Ok, obviously, inputting 120mg/ml nic base instead of 12 was NOT helping me, at all lol..... Got that straightened out now. Found out I'm sensitive to higher VG ratios, so my last two batches were 70/30 - 80/20, so MUCH MUCH better and no coughing. Now to play around with the flavors a little :eek:) And diluted the batch that was making me light headed and head achy lol. 100% better.
I just wanted to thank everyone for their input and advice. I couldn't have done it without you!! With your help, I can, finally, enjoy what I mix. Very thankful for your experience and that I joined the group. Happy Vaping! :eek:)

So glad it all worked out!

Ld3441

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Just a thought..
If your 10mg sample you made was making you light-headed and diluting that was better, I think you should check the nic level if you normally use 18mg. You can buy a test kit and to me it would be worth it to know exactly what nic mg you are using.

misswish

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
You are correct. I misread my labels. I have 120ml of 12mg. So now, I'm suspecting a mixing issue on the nic side. This is getting confusing lol.
So when the calc is asking me for my base, I was inputting 120. So, now I go back and input 12? And yes, I am trying to get a target nic of 18mg per ml.
Rod - If you have 12mg nic base, you can't make it into an 18mg nic. Glad you found the vg problem.

Chuck H.

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Rod IMO your base nic is way to high ! You might want to check out some on-line mixes and compare with yours ! I would contact Uncle RJ on our forum !( I did the numbers and you are right if target is 10mg. nic !.? Dilution is a great idea , I would dilute little by little until you get it where you want it , just so not to over dilute.)

Last edited:

AmandaD

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Rod IMO your base nic is way to high ! You might want to check out some on-line mixes and compare with yours ! I would contact Uncle RJ on our forum !( I did the numbers and you are right if target is 10mg. nic !.? Dilution is a great idea , I would dilute little by little until you get it where you want it , just so not to over dilute.)

Chuck, his base is 12mg/ml. He actually wanted to make 18mg/ml - which of course he cannot.

lirruping

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
i actually am nic free right now thats why i bought flash from FA and capsicum from flavor west... i miss nicotine but am a new RN graduate and hospitals in texas drup test for nicotine (i hope to get hired in a hospital so i gotta quit for now) will pick nicotine back up once i have a job however i have noticed nicotine never hurts my flavors it only enhances them :D well thats my experience so far i guess i have to have patience :( oh well ill take your advice and start making single flavor batches at a time and start at 1% from now on
i have to throw in some questions i really need answered :eek:
Can your source of PG/VG alter your eliquid's taste? (Bought both of mine from ebay[way cheaper than anywhere else])

How much koolada/EM/Menthol/sweetner powder do i mix to get a 10% mixture i have no scale for weighing

I was just glancing through this thread. I'm not at the end of it yet (so apologies if this is non-sequitur) but I had to post when I saw this: "...hospitals in texas drug test for nicotine..."

I am blown away by this. I'm sitting here, like, incredulous, with my mouth open. I mentioned it to a friend I have over and she was like, "Oh they've been doing that in Ohio for years" Since the early nineties (!?), she said.

Of all the fascist nonsense! Of all the outrageously gratuitous persecution of smokers--this really takes the cake. I guess I should be thankful they don't test continuously and randomly... but I mean...what possible rationale could they have for testing for nicotine and excluding candidates on the basis of the result? What am I missing?

lirruping

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
you fool lol :) i was pissed (discalimer what im about to say will be very controversial) [BTW i am overweight bmi of 29.9] The argument presented as to the reason behind not hiring smokers is A. they dont want to support unhealthy habits/lifestyles B.Insurance costs A. is stupid because the #2 cause of preventable deadly illnesses is obesity(almost tied with smoking believe it or not dont have the recent sutdy on hand but google it) B. is stupid because obesity also adds a HUGE expense to insurance they go after smokers because its easier to use them as a scapegoat back on topic

if they persecute smokers/vapers/dippers they need to persecute those who are overweight as well (myself included)

As usual, I read onward and saw my question answered. Sorries. I'm guessing "smoke breaks" probably are part of the real reason for these policies. That, and the general "social undesirability" of having (eww!) smokers on the premises. They don't want to "support unhealthy lifestyles" = "load of crapola". You're exactly right pointing out the obesity thing.. and if it weren't mainly the little people being stomped on, somebody woulda sued the pants off of them early on in this type of policy-making and it wouldn't have become so widespread as it apparently is.

On the upside, now, with vaping, there may be controversy, but at least there is no overwhelming societal consensus that it is "bad". Maybe it would be ossible to challenge something like that successfully on a one-off basis without breaking the bank--just by making it know that you intend to pursue some kind of recourse. Just ruminating.

I'm done now. @wllmc, sorry to pollute your nice, helpful thread with my freaked-out ranting.

ps: I never put my real name or information on the form when signing up for those grocery store cards--you're not obligated to, and there's no reason anybody should. They should be happy we're shopping at their store, not data mining at our expense so we can participate in their "sales"! Good lord. Ok, I really am done now.

Guys, Im experimenting with diy ejuice now. One major problem so far is that the liquid doesnt taste sweet (straight from the shake machine). What am I doing wrong? Im only doing one flavour (mango) + sucrose. Should it left for few days and then only It'll be sweet? The mixture liquid itself is sweet btw.

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Guys, Im experimenting with diy ejuice now. One major problem so far is that the liquid doesnt taste sweet (straight from the shake machine). What am I doing wrong? Im only doing one flavour (mango) + sucrose. Should it left for few days and then only It'll be sweet? The mixture liquid itself is sweet btw.
What brands and %?

emm.. since im not in the US, im not sure about the brands.. the mango flavour is subtle but is there.. I guess it'll be ok in few days but, Im puzzled on why is not sweet right after mixing (via vaping)? I used about 10% of the mango flavouring.

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Well, I can tel you that different brands of flavorings work at different percentages. FlavourArt, for example, requires only a small , whereas, TFA or Capella's might require more. There are plenty of mixers here not from the US, so it's possible someone might be familiar with the brand you have?

I understand that.. will try to find out.

ps - isnt 80% base + 10% flavour + 10% sucrose@sweetener supposed to be a sweet vape right after mixing?

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
That's a LOT of sweetener. Too much can actually kill the flavor. Have you tried the mix without any sweetener? I bought some when I first started mixing, and haven't had the need to use it. Granted, everyone is different, but it's possible the flavoring on it's own may be sweet enough.

Chuck H.

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I understand that.. will try to find out.

ps - isnt 80% base + 10% flavour + 10% sucrose@sweetener supposed to be a sweet vape right after mixing?
Not knowing anymore details than what you have posted ,it opens up lots of variables . My first thought is 10% sweetener is 8 to 9 % to much .I think you are killing your mix with way to much sweetener . JMO

huston

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Agree on the too much sweetener. Also some flavors require steeping where as some can shake and vape. Most of my mixes require about a week for best taste. I can honestly say i have never added sweetener to any of my flavors since im mainly vg.

wllmc

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Sponsor
VU Challenge Team
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
@grungemann I'd have to agree with everyone else above.

Guys, thanks for your time and advice.. My main questions was regarding the sweetness of the vape.. not the flavouring. I understand that 10% of sweetener is an overkill but im not tasting any sweetness even at that level.. I have 2 batches of 5ml (5% and 10% sweetness) and will let it sit for another few hrs before I try them again.

As for the flavoring, it turn out to be a local flavoring so.. will need to play around with the % before I can get it right.

Thanks again.

huston

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Ok you shouldnt really be able to taste the sweetener in the liquid. It is supposed to enhance and smooth the flavor overall. diluting the main flavor with it will kill the overall taste and steeping it for a year wont help it.

The venture into DIY ejuice can seem overwhelming to say the least when you are trying to decided to make the switch from vendor juice to your own recipes. I started vaping on a whim to help a friend quit smoking. it was one of those sure I'll help you quit we will quit together things. both of us successfully quit smoking. I was having a lot of trouble finding flavors I liked and was getting bored of what I had and then one day a google search brought up DIY ejuice. I thought oh man this is for me. I am totally a DIY and hobby guy so I jumped on it. I read and read and read until I had the courage to order supplies. once i got my vapemail in I put everything on the cabinet and stared at it for what felt like hours. I did everything I was supposed to and my juice tasted like crap. for weeks I beat my head against the wall trying to figure out what I was doing wrong. if you are in this rut then maybe these tips will help.

first thing above everything is just have fun ! stop worrying about making the perfect juice. as a new mixer you are going to have to go through a lot of trial and error. mix single flavor batches until you get what you are looking for in a flavor and work from there. if you are getting discouraged because your banana does not taste the way you think it should dont automatically assume its your mixing. more than likely its just a flavor that does not taste the way you want it to. try a lot of brands, as many as you can. each have their own flavor and qualities. one banana may taste nothing like a real banana for pies but is an amazing candy runts banana.

give your juice a chance. dont just throw a few drops on some cotton and give it toot and say oh god this is not what I wanted and toss it. make 3 or 5 ml and vape it all day. take some time to taste all the little things about it that makes it unique from other manufacturers. make a pro and con list in your head or on paper. think about how you can use it or make it work in a different recipe maybe but dont discard it as unusable.

there is no magic number. flavors have ranges where changes happen. some more drastic than others, some none at all. there is a lot of hype especially for new mixers that say you need to use 15-20 % of this or that , so you might go use 20 % coffee flavor for example and blow your taste buds apart. that flavor probably taste really nice at 1%. I can use TFA apple candy just fine at 1 and 2% and taste it and like it. at 10% its almost to sour and like a jolly rancher. I pick up on sour things much easier than others so this is untrue for some. thats where the whole taste is subjective thing comes in. you just have to play with it. if its to strong take some and add half base to it and try it again you might like it.

try it yourself. you cant just go off what you read on some internet site. take recipes and suggestions only as guidelines not rules set in stone. not every juice needs a 3 month steep or 4 hours in crock pot while doing a magic rain dance. tho some do and thats when the fun really begins. if you want to know what 4 hours in a crock pot will do to your juice just try it out! whats the harm. I have crock potted juice at 200 degrees before just because why not. do crazy things like vape bread crust or put tobacco in a cola just because. who knows you may come up with something really unique. when you do remember to share ;)

it took me awhile to realize these things. once I took the pressure off myself to make a certain juice or a clone of whatever vendor brands I liked my mixes got better. I started using the flavors to the particular flavors advantage rather than trying to make it work. meaning I built recipes around the star flavor. I have 2 favorite strawberry flavors.both are very different and if I swapped the 2 they would kill the others recipe. they only work because they have a particular taste. I am by no means a master mixer and constantly learning new things and disproving my old theories. dont give up and let your own tongue decide what you like best not what the majority likes. these are only my ideas and tips to new and old mixers. I like to quote HeadInClouds " get mixin and vape faster"
I was so glad to read this. I am in my second month of going hard at DIY. So many failures. A couple weeks ago I sat there in abject frustration staring at the now countless bottles of flavor I purchased trying to copy one recipe or another when I simply started grabbing bottles of flavor and smelling them. I found one I liked and then without over thinking it found one that might compliment it and so on. Now I make two or three flavors work and then refine from there.I am finally making some progress and I can't tell you how satisfying that is.

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
I was so glad to read this. I am in my second month of going hard at DIY. So many failures. A couple weeks ago I sat there in abject frustration staring at the now countless bottles of flavor I purchased trying to copy one recipe or another when I simply started grabbing bottles of flavor and smelling them. I found one I liked and then without over thinking it found one that might compliment it and so on. Now I make two or three flavors work and then refine from there.I am finally making some progress and I can't tell you how satisfying that is.
That's good stuff! So happy it's going well for you. And welcome to VU :)

MrFixIt

Member For 4 Years
The number one thing to remember when first starting out diying your own liquids is the flavoring percentages LESS is best! It's far easier to add than it is to subtract.

Especially if you are new to vaping period. Your taste buds are still trying to recover from your years of burning tobacco products and strong flavors are easier for you to taste in the beginning. In a few short months though you may find that those flavors are overpowering so scaling back on flavor percentages will be in order.

Some flavors are good to vape right away and those are the best imo, because they only get even better over time. Others may need to sit awhile so they blend and come together at their full potential.

Record everything you do even if it's just a few drops of a flavor. That way if you have a eureka moment you can reproduce it again. Also don't throw away a liquid right away even after steeping it. I say this because there have been occasions where I combined what I thought was a failure with another so,so liquid and the result was amazing.

Master your single flavors first. Meaning get to know them well before trying more complex layered liquids. If you do this you'll be making premium tasting liquids in no time. I'll finish by saying if you find a recipe that you like take it and add to it to make it your own. I've created some awesome advs this way.

Sent from my LGLS770 using Tapatalk

VU Sponsors