Become a Patron!

My DIY e-juice is so DRY and TASTELESS!!

So I went and baught some
99.5 anhydrous glycerin Laurens Flavorings and I made some Liquid using 100% VG and some of those flavorings and the taste is slim to none, and it leaves me with a dry mouth.. I did try to add some water to it but I havent tried it yet.. Anyone gimme some help?
4626_glycerin2.jpg
images

WilliamC83

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I highly recommend you DON'T use that walmart Humco glycerin. It is NOT food grade & NOT 100% organic plant based vegetable glycerin, its partially synthetic. I know of several people who have used that glycerin & reported the same issues as you, muted flavor with a funky after taste, not to mention it makes the coils gunk up a lot faster.
Cheaper, non food grade PG/VG (Humco brand) is commonly used for making soaps, cleansers, lotions & as a humectant moisturizer, so when buying PG/VG for DIY e-juice make sure its 100% Pure USP KOSHER Food Grade. There are many places to get good quality, USP KOSHER food grade PG/VG nowadays at very reasonable prices. If you want some recommendations for where to get good quality PG/VG then let me know how much you want & I'll shoot shoot you some links (FYI: the more you buy the cheaper it is, as with most products like this). If you don't want to buy it online then unfortunately your options are limited & its typically more expensive, however there are places to get it locally. Most health food stores like Elliott's Natural Food's carry USP KOSHER Food Grade PG & VG, in fact the one near me carries 1-gallon of USP KOSHER Food Grade Vegetable Glycerin for approx. $55, which isn't a bad price.
Get some proper food grade VG & try the same recipe you did with the Humco glycerin & it will be a completely different experience, as in you'll be able to taste the flavorings. Now remember that VG doesn't carry flavor as well as PG, so if your using a high VG ratio you'll need to use more flavoring than you would with a higher PG ratio. Personally I use a 70/30 PG/VG ratio for most of my mixes, especially tobacco's. I do enjoy a 50/50 mix occasionally but since I mainly use RTA's (Kayfun V4) doing mouth to lung hits (not really a fan of RDA's & direct lung hits) I find that I get way better flavor with a higher PG ratio & only slightly less vapor production, even with a 80/20 PG/VG ratio I get more than enough vapor to be satisfying.
If you have anymore questions about DIY juice either ask me here or shoot me a PM, I'll help you in any way I can.

Hope this helps.
Have a good one, take care & VAPE ON!

AmandaD

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I can't tell which of the Lorann flavorings you have there, but many of them are pretty week. Make sure your VG is USP (the brand you're using is - so it's at least safe for vaping). You may want to add a little PG (unless you're intolerant) and try to branch out into other flavor manufacturers (you'll have to order online). You can get good pg and vg online at many places, but I've recently found extremely good prices for smaller quantities on Amazon (they sell Essential Depot, among other brands). You can also try adding 10% distilled water to your VG, and that should thin it enough that it should wick properly (what equipment are you using?).

WilliamC83

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Make sure your VG is USP (the brand you're using is - so it's at least safe for vaping).

The brand he's using is Humco & while it is USP is is NOT food grade, so I wouldn't exactly say its safe for vaping, at least not entirely. As I said in my previous post you want to use 100% Pure USP KOSHER Food Grade PG/VG, if its not Food Grade its not intended to be used internally & I personally would risk using it, especially when Food Grade PG/VG is so easily obtainable.

AmandaD

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
The brand he's using is Humco & while it is USP is is NOT food grade, so I wouldn't exactly say its safe for vaping, at least not entirely. As I said in my previous post you want to use USP KOSHER Food Grade PG/VG, if its not Food Grade its not intended to be used internally & I personally would risk using it, especially when Food Grade PG/VG is so easily obtainable.

There was a big discussion a (few) years ago written by (I think) a chemist over on ECF who said that if it's USP it's already food grade! Apparently the label is just a gimmick so people think there's a difference. Many of us use Essential Depot, and I don't believe my label says anything other than USP.

WilliamC83

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
There was a big discussion a (few) years ago written by (I think) a chemist over on ECF who said that if it's USP it's already food grade! Apparently the label is just a gimmick so people think there's a difference. Many of us use Essential Depot, and I don't believe my label says anything other than USP.

Well in the case of that particular Humco VG something is obviously not right with it in regards to use in e-juice. On more than three occasions now Ive heard from people who have used that VG & complained about funky flavor & coils gunking up much faster than normal. A friend of mine got some of that Humco VG in a pinch & he said there was a noticeable difference in flavor, then when he got some proper Food Grade VG he said the difference was night & day. Now don't get me wrong here, if you or anyone for that matter wants to use that Humco VG then by all means knock yourself out. Personally I only use PG & VG that clearly states its USP Kosher Food Grade. This is just where I stand on the subject, everyone is entitled to their own opinions & nobody has to agree with me.

AmandaD

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years

WilliamC83

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Also, notice how the label only says "Glycerin" & not "Vegetable Glycerin". That's because its not 100% natural vegetable glycerin, there are synthetic ingredients & other stuff in there that IMHO shouldn't be used for e-juice. If you look at the ingredients on the label there is other stuff in there than just glycerin, stuff that I imagine is not meant to be consumed or used internally. Again, this is just MY OPINION & where I stand on the subject.

Pauly Walnuts

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I dont use humco all the time, but I have used it often enough to think its just fine. I have put bull citys vg against the humco stuff, and I taste absolutely no difference. But thats just me. Hence, I highly doubt his flavor problem is the result of the vg.

Id be much more curious about the lorann flavorings hes using. I have tried a few, because they were at walmart, and they didnt work very well.
Very few lorann flavors are optimal for e liquid.

Heabob

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I dont use humco all the time, but I have used it often enough to think its just fine. I have put bull citys vg against the humco stuff, and I taste absolutely no difference. But thats just me. Hence, I highly doubt his flavor problem is the result of the vg.

Id be much more curious about the lorann flavorings hes using. I have tried a few, because they were at walmart, and they didnt work very well.
Very few lorann flavors are optimal for e liquid.

Yep, I agree, most of the LA stuff is blah, even compared to FW, Yikes!

I was using a USP VG from my Health Food store for awhile, seemed OK to me, but I was only using 20-30%.
Got a gallon of the Coconut VG from RTSVapes now and I'm liking it.

CurlyxCracker

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
There is definitely a difference between ED VG and Humco! Humco is FUNKY to say the least! I dumped it after a few mixes. Literally left a bad taste in my mouth. That said, LA flavors are weak. In my experience can't go wrong with FA, very strong stuff.

"Just a little update. I emailed Humco and they said it is Vegetable based and no other source. They also sent me a datasheet. On the datasheet it actually says and I quote:

"Inhalation: Breathing of Vapor or Mist is possible"

I am not sure how to attach the file." by Thomast77

The Humco is fine. I cut it with high nic juice i buy from my local ecig vendor. From my experience, PG base flavor is stronger than VG base flavor.

Pauly Walnuts

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Im gonna change my tune and Ill tell you why.

I have made mixes with different brands of vg, from different places. Ive used walmart humco, rite aid brand, bull city, pinkerton labs, florida labs, myfreedomsmokes, aura cacia organic, and highdesertvapes, and I think theres a couple I dont remember. I go with whatever is cheap or easy (giggidy).

Point is, until post #13 I couldnt tell a difference between them, all my mixes came out fine, no funk, all good. Until a couple days ago.
I had a new sealed bottle of humco that I bought a month ago. So, I made a 30ml mix of 'pauly sweet cookies' (4ml vapertek nic) referenced here http://vapingunderground.com/threads/my-first-true-success-paulys-sweet-cookies.55993/#post-349453 this past saturday. I let it sit for a couple days, I tried it, FUNK CITY! WTF REALLY?? I changed coils, wicks, and cleaned my rda. I tried it again, HOLY FUNK!

I was freakin astounded, that had never happened before. So I went down to the health food store and got some organic vg, problem solved. I just made a new batch last night, shake n vape perfect. I did test it side by side with the other mix. Sample1: funk, Sample2 NO funk.

Conclusion: I think its possible that certain batches of humco have yucky shit in it. Ive used probably 3 bottles of the stuff with zero issue. Bottle number 4 was the deal breaker. Im really surprised and sad to report this, because I liked being able to get vg at walmart. Well, Im done with that.

Teresa P

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
So I went and baught some
99.5 anhydrous glycerin Laurens Flavorings and I made some Liquid using 100% VG and some of those flavorings and the taste is slim to none, and it leaves me with a dry mouth.. I did try to add some water to it but I havent tried it yet.. Anyone gimme some help?
4626_glycerin2.jpg
images
I realize this is an older post, but after enlarging the photo I'm seeing that at least a couple of these flavorings are the Lorann's oils. NEVER use those in vapors, they are not safe. Their website posts a lengthy chart that gives details on which ones are good, bad, and "iffy" for making juice.

WilliamC83

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
@pkolby, Just out of curiosity, what atty/s & build/s are you using that are producing this "muted & dry" flavor? Certain attys are notorious for muting flavor, especially if their not built properly. If possible post some pics of your atty & build, the same atty & build that's giving you this muted & dry flavor.

Teresa P

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
100% vg isn't conducive to the best flavor anyway. Pg carries flavor, although some have allergies/sensitivities to it. If you have no negative reactions to pg, try at least an 80/20 mix. And something other than Lorann's flavoring. FA and Capella are more concentrated, much more flavorful.

VU Sponsors