Become a Patron!

my first center coil build

M5amhan

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
without.. cant see it glow with it wicked so im not sure there. never had this problem before so i assume it has to do with how i centered it

pdxvapes

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Have you ever squeezed your contact coils together with a pair of tweezers after they are mounted to your build deck? Give your coils a nice little warm up and once you release the power to your battery, squeeze with a pair of tweezers or pliers to bring the coil loops into contact with each other more equally. Repeat this process a couple of times until you see your coils glowing the hottest and heating up from the inside wraps to the outer ones.

chris damron

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Another trick for hot spots is to take the edge of your tweezers and sort lightly of rake them across the coil, or use them to tap the spot of the coil that's getting too hot. Works for me every time.

M5amhan

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
yes i go above what is needed.. squeeze and torch then put it in the dripper, dry burn and squeeze

here is what im talking about, you can see the two little strands that are like black.. it does this until i let off the button then its all the same color

IMG_0156.png

pdxvapes

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
That's a different build than the one in your first post, no?
Honestly I'm not entirely sure what tips to offer. The only thing that I'm thinking, and this may be totally silly, is that the build seems like too many wraps.

Gonzi

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
If the coil is tight, and glowing from the inside out, I wouldn't worry about it. Kanthal is a manufactured product, so if the wire varies in thickness by the smalles amount between one point or another, it could cause this effect. I've seen this before in building my coils here and there, but never gave it any importance and never detected any difference in vape quality.

Of course, my opinion, what the fuck do I know

chris damron

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Like I said earlier, strumming the coil with a pick or tweezers fixes this. It works 100% of the time for me at least.

Gonzi

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Like I said earlier, strumming the coil with a pick or tweezers fixes this. It works 100% of the time for me at least.

I strum my genesis coils to eliminate hotspots but hadn't bothered with micro coils, I just get them nice and tight and even. It also helps to keep even tension on the wire while wraping them and wrap them as close together as possible prior to mounting them or compressing them with tweezers.

M5amhan

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years

i did try that before i ripped it out.. strummed it like a guitar and tapped on it as well lol neither worked

travanx

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I have had really good luck pulling the wire tight after wrapping around the drillbit or screwdriver with pliers. And then when its mounted pull again away from the posts. Fire the coil and after its glowing, squeeze together. Do that again and run the drillbit through the coil to get it straight again. Haven't had hot legs since I started doing it this way, and the coils can come out looking straight and very clean.

Saddletramp1200

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I have had really good luck pulling the wire tight after wrapping around the drillbit or screwdriver with pliers. And then when its mounted pull again away from the posts. Fire the coil and after its glowing, squeeze together. Do that again and run the drillbit through the coil to get it straight again. Haven't had hot legs since I started doing it this way, and the coils can come out looking straight and very clean.
At least someone has figured it out. It's like making love, you have to do it right. Kayfun & Russian are a Bitch to build a coil for. The most demanding Atomizers I have ever seen. But when you get it right! Heaven. I use .34 Kanthal from Temco, 1.5 Silica from Lighting Vapes. 8 wraps. 2.3 Ohms is good. Their comfort Attys. not made for clouds. They will make them though.

cloudy_judgement

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
What I will do sometimes too, is to put the bit, or needle, or whatever you wrapped the coil with, back into the coil after pulsing it. I'll pull on it a little to get the coil back straight again. Sometimes when you pinch, it will make a wrap overlap or similar. Pulling on them a bit helps to tighten them back up a bit.

VU Sponsors