Become a Patron!

my first twisted dual coil build...

LuTang

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
yesterday i tried my hand at twisted coils. used 26ga kanthal, twisted with a cordless drill. i drilled until they snapped off on their own. did 8 wraps on 2mm screwdriver. came out to .39ohm. vaped it between 50-70w on my ipv4s using Velocity clone RDA. hits hard and pretty good flavor. it does seem to pop juice more than my typical .5ohm 8 wrap straight build. it was a fun to try something different, but i think i still prefer the straight micro and macro coils.

0824151753a_zpscqgntumz.jpg

0824151800a_zpszticbziw.jpg

nabibrian

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Nice build, I like the way twisted coils perform.
As long as they are cleaned every so often, I find that they can last me quite a while.

LuTang

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
thanks man. i'll play around with it for a while.

gonna try my first parallel build tonight.

Sugardonut

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Builds requiring you to twist or Clapton or parallel will always pop more than a single wire build. The reason being is that those builds get really hot and makes the juice pop. The popping is normal. Especially when you put your vape down for a long time and drip on it and fire. That will be your biggest pop. I like firing it and letting it pop then drip or paint the juice on the coils. Give it a couple of bursts to warm it up then fire and take a hit.
Doing these builds gives the juice to be sucked in by the coil and stay in the pockets the coil makes. These pockets makes the juice burst and giving off awesome flavor.
Instead of your 26g .5 ohm build try using 22-24g kanthal. I actually r gently got back to just making a regular 24g dual 12 wrap set up. And I love it that its been a long time since I made twisted or claptons. It doesn't get as hot as a Clapton and it still produces awesome smoke and flavor.
But anyway, since your using a velocity rda the popping shouldn't be so bad compared to an rda with side or bottom Airflows. It shouldn't pop and hit your mouth that much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LuTang

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
so up it up to 24ga? I have some 24ga to work with, but no 22. i'll give it a try. seems like most twisted builds i see are with higher gauge like 28 & 26. but i'll give it a whirl. building them is half the fun for me. thanks man

Sugardonut

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
The reason why they use smaller wires is because the build becomes to Big to fit in the atty.
but I meant on your regular straight build try using a 22-24 gauge at .5 ohm

Sugardonut

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
So yes use smaller wires for twisted but thicker wires for straight build

LuTang

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
yah, last night i did a dual 24ga 7wrap on 2.5mm bit on my billow v2. it's about .35 ohm. coils barely fit. that's as large as i would advise going on a billow v2. it's vaping nicely. i got burnt taste at 40watts with 26ga .5 build on 2mm bit. on this larger i go up to 50 watts and it still hangs with no burnt hits and increase in vapor and flavor.

also did dual 26ga parallel in my haze mini. it comes in at around .3ohm if i remember right and so far, this is my favorite build out of all of them. huge vape and good flavor. nice warm vape but not too hot. really enjoying it at about 50w on my IPV4s and also works well on my tube mechs using LG HE4 batteries.

just got 28ga nickel wire today in the mail and gonna give that a try soon! it will be my first try at temp control and spaced coils.

Last edited:

VU Sponsors