Become a Patron!

My flavours just dont "pop"

Disturbance

Member For 4 Years
Is it just me?
Ive been making my own juices for over 2 years, mostly using Flavourart and following a lot of HICs recipes.
I do have a few other brands of flavour but mostly just stick to FA.
I have tried various ratios of PG to VG, doubling and even tripling the flavour quantities but they just dont really "pop" like some of the commercial bought flavours. Ive used a variety of mods and tanks, currently using a DNA200 Therion with a Goon.
Anyone got any ideas?

xpen

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Commercial juices probably add some flavor enhancers/correctors, I think..
Sweeteners, PH control, aftertaste (bitter, acidic, fresh, ...), god knows what else.
Some of those are available to the general public, but you must know what you're doing since they introduce so many additional variables to 'simple' flavor mixing

MagicJosh

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Is it just me?
Ive been making my own juices for over 2 years, mostly using Flavourart and following a lot of HICs recipes.
I do have a few other brands of flavour but mostly just stick to FA.
I have tried various ratios of PG to VG, doubling and even tripling the flavour quantities but they just dont really "pop" like some of the commercial bought flavours. Ive used a variety of mods and tanks, currently using a DNA200 Therion with a Goon.
Anyone got any ideas?
Add 1 percent sweetner. (Sucralose. and make sure you make your juice with a at least one strong note to stand alone on top of all your flavors in your recipe.

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Strange as it may sound, doubling and tripling can diminish the taste and make it taste muted out.

Were you mixing HIC's stuff as written? I used to need to use a bit more than HIC, but quickly started mixing them as written and my taste buds adjusted to that.

Are you using any new brands of PG/VG/nic, and/or have you gone through to eliminate one of those as the cause of the issue?

Are you shaking everything really well prior to use?

Lastly... could any of your flavorings be old?

A lot of vendors do use a lot of sweeteners, some, so much I can't believe I enjoyed the flavors, LOL. As was mentioned, a small amount can pop a flavor, but too much is the same as over-flavoring... mute.

Disturbance

Member For 4 Years
Strange as it may sound, doubling and tripling can diminish the taste and make it taste muted out.

Were you mixing HIC's stuff as written? I used to need to use a bit more than HIC, but quickly started mixing them as written and my taste buds adjusted to that.

Are you using any new brands of PG/VG/nic, and/or have you gone through to eliminate one of those as the cause of the issue?

Are you shaking everything really well prior to use?

Lastly... could any of your flavorings be old?

A lot of vendors do use a lot of sweeteners, some, so much I can't believe I enjoyed the flavors, LOL. As was mentioned, a small amount can pop a flavor, but too much is the same as over-flavoring... mute.

I have mixed HICs stuff as written, doubled and trebled. And yes sometimes too much kills the flavour.
I have used several different brands of NIC, PG and VG and experimented with the ratios as well.
I shake all my flavours well before use.
Some of my flavours are old, some new but I have always found that they dont pop regardless.
I have never tried using any flavour enhancers or sweeteners.
I did notice that higher PG makes the flavours stronger but also makes them taste a little more artificial.
Dont get me wrong, I like the FA flavours, I enjoy my vapes. But when my mates give me a go on their shop bought flavours a lot of them tast incredibly strong, so much so that when I go back to mine afterwards I can barely taste anything. I will admit that a lot of those really strong shop bought flavours taste incredibly artificial though and some almost soapy.

VU Sponsors