Become a Patron!

my horrid experience with vaping

kreygmire

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Hi, I bought a smok micro one kit that came with the tfv4 micro tank from vapenw over a year and a half ago. When I received it I was extremely excited to begin vaping. I followed every step carefully to properly prime the coils etc. but every single hit I got was "dry". Not sure what was wrong I tried various different ejuices and pg/vg mixtures to no avail. I also tried every trick possible to try and help to coils wick better but every single hit was extremely awful. Disgruntled I put the vape in a drawer and didn't touch it again for almost 6 months thinking I just wasn't meant to vape for some reason. The one thing I did notice however was when I tried using temperature control mode it would fire for about 4 seconds before giving me a "temperature too high" warning, I thought this was odd but didn't think anything more of it. Last week I got the vape out again and tried a different juice AGAIN but still awful dry hits that burnt my throat. I thought to myself it MUST be the tank (tfv4 micro) Ive read reviews online claiming those coils are awful and the cotton is always packed too tight, so I tried the rba section, still awful hits. Finally I decide it WAS the tank and buy a new tank (vaporesso estoc mega) which had great reviews and claimed to never have dry hits. I received the tank today and put in some 50pg/50vg ejuice from mtbakervapor, let it prime for about 15 minutes and boom first and every hit was awful, massive spit back and extremely hot. I googled "massive spit back from vape" and various websites said try a higher vg juice, so I tried "max vg" juice from mtbakervapor again. STILL the same massive spit back and hot ass vape. So here I am wondering why I've been cursed by the vape gods to never vape! At this point it has to be the mod is giving wayyy too much power that its not supposed to and remember the temperature control never worked because of the "temp too high" warning. The warranty is long expired and with over $150 invested in pretty much nothing Im about to give up vaping all together. What do you guys think? Do I go ahead and buy another mod or just give up because the curse from the vape gods is too strong :facepalm:..... What should I do? Has anyone else had a problem with a mod giving too much power then it is supposed to?

Whiskey

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Reading your whole post I didn't see anything about what wattage you have it set on

kreygmire

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Reading your whole post I didn't see anything about what wattage you have it set on
only the wattage's recommend by the coils... for the estoc coils tho .4ohm i tried everything from 30 -50 watts and the mod showed using nearly 5 volts to do that at 50 watts

Whiskey

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
You need to ease the coils up to the wattage recommended, starting a bit lower than what it says, give them a chance to get soaked and broke in.

GBusafvet95

VU Donator
Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
You need to ease the coils up to the wattage recommended, starting a bit lower than what it says, give them a chance to get soaked and broke in.

This worked for me when I got my first box. I was just as frustrated and wanted to launch that Coolfire into the woods.

Glad I didn't.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fq06

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Spit back is the wicking being too wet. Usually not enough power and you are boiling the juice, not vaporizing it.

Maybe an oring is missing or defective and the tank is not sealing up allowing juice to flood the coil (think finger on top of a straw in a cup of water, pull out, then release finger).

I tried mtbaker once, it was harsh and I tossed it, sounds like your issue besides the spit back. Try a premuim juice from a vape shop that you can try juices out at. That will eliminate the attomizer as the problem.

I don't know about those tanks but some spit back more than others. Try flinging the mod & attomizer towards the ground like you were trying to fling something out of the drip tip and clear the flooded chamber. Take drip tip off and blow it out. Try vaping it.

Temp control...
Is that coil a stainless steel coil and you have it set to SS TC mode? If that's a kanthal coil and you are in TC mode of any kind... that's your problem.
Then there's the piss poor performance in TC that smok is known for so if it's a SS or kanthal coil, run it in power/watt mode, not TC mode.

Last edited:

kreygmire

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
If your coil rates 30-50, start it out around 20-25 for a little bit and work it up
I tried working my way up the wattage but still extremely awful hits like the juice was burning, with the max vg it seems like im getting dry hits like the cotton is burning, with the 50/50 it seems like the juice is burning. I did take the coil out and check and it doesnt look burnt. Even at 5 watts i get the burnt taste. temp control also still shuts off after about 5 seconds

kreygmire

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Spit back is the wicking being too wet. Usually not enough power and you are boiling the juice, not vaporizing it.

Maybe an oring is missing or defective and the tank is not sealing up allowing juice to flood the coil (think finger on top of a straw in a cup of water, pull out, then release finger).

I tried mtbaker once, it was harsh and I tossed it, sounds like your issue besides the spit back. Try a premuim juice from a vape shop that you can try juices out at. That will eliminate the attomizer as the problem.

I don't know about those tanks but some spit back more than others. Try flinging the mod & attomizer towards the ground like you were trying to fling something out of the drip tip and clear the flooded chamber. Take drip tip off and blow it out. Try vaping it.

Temp control...
Is that coil a stainless steel coil and you have it set to SS TC mode? If that's a kanthal coil and you are in TC mode of any kind... that's your problem.
Then there's the piss poor performance in TC that smok is known for so if it's a SS or kanthal coil, run it in power/watt mode, not TC mode.
I think it is a kanthal coil, I only tried tc once though...Maybe it is mtbakervapors juice as thats the only brand ive ever tried.

Whiskey

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I tried working my way up the wattage but still extremely awful hits like the juice was burning, with the max vg it seems like im getting dry hits like the cotton is burning, with the 50/50 it seems like the juice is burning. I did take the coil out and check and it doesnt look burnt. Even at 5 watts i get the burnt taste. temp control also still shuts off after about 5 seconds
Even if it doesn't look burnt , it can be, I also use a juice mix of 70vg30pg, try a new coil, it sucks , but if you are using a coil that was burnt, it will always taste burnt, no cure for a fried out coil.

Ompa

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Even if it doesn't look burnt , it can be, I also use a juice mix of 70vg30pg, try a new coil, it sucks , but if you are using a coil that was burnt, it will always taste burnt, no cure for a fried out coil.

I also had a rough time with Mtbaker. I've used their juice in the past and found it to be ok but recently purchased 2 large bottles of the flavors I liked and it was killing coils in 1-2 days tops. I was getting dry hit after dry hit. I checked the liquid and I swear it was 140% VG, was thicker than anything I can think of. I switched juices and bam no more issues.

f1r3b1rd

https://cookingwithlegs.com/
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon

it sounds like your issue is twofold.
I would guess:
to high a power setting (wattage)
and
bad juice mrbaker is the only thing I have had that I considered completely. Unvapeable

forza

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
After reading the whole thing twice ... I'm thinking you have a bad mod. You've tried two tanks with the same result. Sounds like the mod is consistently giving you too much power.

Maybe get a very inexpensive mod, something like a Coolfire or Pico and see if that doesn't solve the issue.

I had one that did that. I set it to 25w and it consistently jumped to the max output. It's was very unpleasant. Don't give up, though!!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Whiskey

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I also had a rough time with Mtbaker. I've used their juice in the past and found it to be ok but recently purchased 2 large bottles of the flavors I liked and it was killing coils in 1-2 days tops. I was getting dry hit after dry hit. I checked the liquid and I swear it was 140% VG, was thicker than anything I can think of. I switched juices and bam no more issues.
AWESOME!!!!:bliss:

bobnat

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years

I tried about 20 MBV juices when I started. I didn't like one of them. I kept handing them off to a colleague who vaped every single one of them. I thought there was something wrong with me. It took a few months and making my own juice to realize he could vape skunk piss and think it was alright...which is what MBV tasted like to me.

You've got to wonder how many people have been turned off from vaping by bad juice.

kreygmire

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Thanks for the replies and info everyone...im gonna order some new coils and try a different brand of juice. I've heard good things about halo, anyone have experience with them? Also after those few dry hits yesterday I woke up today and my lungs feel a bit restricted kinda like asthma, should I be worried?

Ompa

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Thanks for the replies and info everyone...im gonna order some new coils and try a different brand of juice. I've heard good things about halo, anyone have experience with them? Also after those few dry hits yesterday I woke up today and my lungs feel a bit restricted kinda like asthma, should I be worried?

I'm by no means a DR but I can tell you I've been there as well, when I started vaping, I was using 12mg High PG juice I bought at a local cig shop. Spent 2 weeks hardly being able to talk, my wife had me convinced I was on my death bed. Found a nice 80/20 6mg juice I liked and it cleared right up. Even today if I'm not paying attention and let my wick get too dry I get a tightness in my throat from burnt cotton.

now if your eyeballs start bleeding, I'd go see a DR :)

fq06

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I take it there are no vape shops anywhere near you that you could go to and try many different juices to find out what kinds of flavors you like and doesn't taste terrible?

Also like Ompa said anything higher than 6mg/ml nic will probably be too much and harsh in a subohm tank.

Mike H.

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Kanthal and temp control function dont go together unless you are using a Hohm brand mod with the popular FSK chip that does temp control with standard kanthal wire.

Make sure the coils you get are for temp control and make sure the temp control is set for that type of wire used on the coil.

I also agree a high nicotine content especially with that much power is going to be harsh no matter what..6mg you may can get by with on a .5 coil with 25 to 30 watts but anything higher is going to be too much.

Hope you get it all figured out.

bobnat

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I'm by no means a DR but I can tell you I've been there as well, when I started vaping, I was using 12mg High PG juice I bought at a local cig shop. Spent 2 weeks hardly being able to talk, my wife had me convinced I was on my death bed. Found a nice 80/20 6mg juice I liked and it cleared right up. Even today if I'm not paying attention and let my wick get too dry I get a tightness in my throat from burnt cotton.

now if your eyeballs start bleeding, I'd go see a DR :)

Actually, I started with Halo juice. My wife was in Atlanta and bought my first e-pens from them along with 15 bottles of tobacco flavored juices. The Tribeca is one of the most widely acclaimed juices of its profile. I quickly got into DIY though and just the other day I counted 7 bottles remain of the Halo stash. I quickly got off the tobacco profile and I just can't vape it anymore. I don't think you can go wrong with their quality.

That being said, it doesn't mean you'll like everything they make. Vaping is odd in that many things you think you'd like you won't and vice-versa. It really comes down to trying lots of flavor profiles and you'll eventually figure out what works for you. I suggest you start with the highest praised flavors as you'll have a better chance of liking them.

f1r3b1rd

https://cookingwithlegs.com/
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon

I haven't had Halo but my fiance Vaped them alot when she started a few years back. Her; and, many others claim they are fantastic juices.

In fact with your feeling of heavy lungs they may be a good option since they are lower in VG and higher in PG. I can't vape high VG juice because it makes my lungs feel deal heavy. It's nothing to worry about though. I've had a few lung x-rays in the past few years and they are all clear with no signs that I was ever even a smoker. It's just something with VG makes it a little tight. So, I stick with 50/50 at most for VG content normally I try for 60pg/40vg.

kreygmire

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Kanthal and temp control function dont go together unless you are using a Hohm brand mod with the popular FSK chip that does temp control with standard kanthal wire.

Make sure the coils you get are for temp control and make sure the temp control is set for that type of wire used on the coil.

I also agree a high nicotine content especially with that much power is going to be harsh no matter what..6mg you may can get by with on a .5 coil with 25 to 30 watts but anything higher is going to be too much.

Hope you get it all figured out.
thanks and ya I was only vaping 3mg I think I was definitely experiencing dry hits. I never took the time to actually work my way up the wattage so I think thats my problem along with the shitty mtbakervapor juice

kreygmire

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I haven't had Halo but my fiance Vaped them alot when she started a few years back. Her; and, many others claim they are fantastic juices.

In fact with your feeling of heavy lungs they may be a good option since they are lower in VG and higher in PG. I can't vape high VG juice because it makes my lungs feel deal heavy. It's nothing to worry about though. I've had a few lung x-rays in the past few years and they are all clear with no signs that I was ever even a smoker. It's just something with VG makes it a little tight. So, I stick with 50/50 at most for VG content normally I try for 60pg/40vg.
nice, if I had to guess though the heaviness in my lungs was caused by the dry hits and burning ejuice :blech:

kreygmire

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
After reading the whole thing twice ... I'm thinking you have a bad mod. You've tried two tanks with the same result. Sounds like the mod is consistently giving you too much power.

Maybe get a very inexpensive mod, something like a Coolfire or Pico and see if that doesn't solve the issue.

I had one that did that. I set it to 25w and it consistently jumped to the max output. It's was very unpleasant. Don't give up, though!!

Hopefully not... how did you know it was jumping to max output? did the voltage jump way up or just from burnt hits etc?

Carambrda

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years

At a local B&M store not too long ago I have seen with my own eyes a Smok GX350 that was consistently jumping to max output so I'm thinking you might be correct.

Carambrda

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Hopefully not... how did you know it was jumping to max output? did the voltage jump way up or just from burnt hits etc?
Dry firing a pair of custom built coils in an RTA. The coils went from completely cold to glowing red/orange five times faster than they should have.

forza

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
It's an SMY SDNA75 and I watch med it do it several times. No idea what the problem was. I'd have it set ...vaping along just fine and suddenly...ugh nasty. Look at it and it woukd be still 25w. Hit the button and it went 25 ...45 ...75. Over and over. Took out the battery and then turned it back on and it was fine.

Mattp169

Platinum Contributor
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
@kreygmire for some good juice tahst not too pricy
try
maddcattvapors.com. they are local to me, and even though I make my own juice, I would buy theirs and be able to enjoy it, if for some reaosn i ran out of my own

several people on here use them

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I suggest you start with the highest praised flavors as you'll have a better chance of liking them.

Whatever you do, do not try my simple 7 ml unflavored, rough 1.5ml blueberry, .5ml extreme ice flavor. :giggle: No, do not even think about it. I'll go buy all the blueberry flavoring extracts up so as to save you from such a terrible fate as vaping blueberry.

Also been mixing up some tasty "Junk Juice". Then, again I admittedly lack taste. :) :D :p

Synphul

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Glad you got it sorted out. I tried a number of juice companies when I started out and mt baker wasn't one of my favorites. Neither was vaperite, their ry4 tasted like robitussin. Unfortunately (or fortunately) I started with halo juices but went looking elsewhere because of the price. The evo line is a bit cheaper and keep an eye on their sales. They rarely had sales awhile back but recently they've been having buy one get one sales. I tried a couple of their evo juices, the grape flavored insomnia and their tropical paradox, both taste pretty good to me. I also like their tribeca and malibu.

It's a little pricey and thin (50/50 or maybe even 60pg/40vg) but v2's 'red' is a flavor I enjoyed. Mild tobacco, tasted more like tea though. Just a clean pleasant flavor.

Most of the juice I get now from vape wild. If you find a flavor you like you can save by buying in bulk. Normal single bottle retail is $7 for a 30ml bottle, the more you buy of the same nic level and vg/pg ratio the more the price drops. My all day vape I buy 240ml at a time and it drops the price to $4.38 per 30ml bottle. Heck of a lot better than halo's usual around $22-23 per 30ml.

VU Sponsors