Become a Patron!

My new Griffin RTA (vs Crius)

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Went and bought a Griffin, Black, at a local B&M. Bought some Clapton coils to build with. Just got home and am about to un-box the little beauty

Raymo2u - I cannot find the link where I can buy coils from you.

I will post some pics of the build.
I dont have a link, I do it through PM's. Click my screen name and start a conversation.

tazz2293

VU Donator
Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Thanks ej1024 I will do that.

Just starting to build and one of the grub screws is a different size. Had to get my Crius tool to get it out.

tazz2293

VU Donator
Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Excellent Flavor. My goodness!

Build came out to .28 ohms.
Wattage between 60 and 70 so far.
Vape seems very warm. Flavor is excellent. Might should have gotten 3mg nic. :confused:
Is this something I need to get used to?
I saw where Raymou2 said to switch out the drip tip. I can't get mine out.
How did you guys get the drip tip out?

Pics on the way.

formernuke

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year

Vape seems very warm. Flavor is excellent. Might should have gotten 3mg nic. :confused:

Pics on the way.
Welcome, I'm running .27 at 90 watts

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

itsmenotyou

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year

Pics on the way.
I rocked mine back and forth until it slid out. The 510 adaptor fits really snug so I had to wobble it into place also. To remove it if it's really stubborn take the topfill off and use a wooden dowel to push it out from the bottom

sent from a dumb operated smart phone

tazz2293

VU Donator
Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I rocked mine back and forth until it slid out. The 510 adaptor fits really snug so I had to wobble it into place also. To remove it if it's really stubborn take the topfill off and use a wooden dowel to push it out from the bottom

It was tough. Man that thing was stuck in there.

bugs-one

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Ok, finally got claptons. They are 26ga/32ga, 6wraps with 2.5 ID at .4ohms. I've been messing with watts from 55 to 65. It's hot for me since I'm used to cool vape. Flavor is good but I might have vaper's toungue now. Any tips or suggestions on wattage, maybe I'm at the wrong wattage?

smacksy

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Ok, finally got claptons. They are 26ga/32ga, 6wraps with 2.5 ID at .4ohms. I've been messing with watts from 55 to 65. It's hot for me since I'm used to cool vape. Flavor is good but I might have vaper's toungue now. Any tips or suggestions on wattage, maybe I'm at the wrong wattage?
I had the exact same claptons in my Griffin and I too found them to be too hot..That said I wrapped a couple 24g Nichrome coils on a 3mm bit..10 wraps came out to .25 ohms, and at 70w with wide open airflow they produce a much cooler, thicker flavorful vape that is very enjoyable, even chain vaping...it's now my favorite build and I'm leaving those claptons alone, lololo

Sent from my QTAQZ3 using Tapatalk

itsmenotyou

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year

I had the exact same claptons in my Griffin and I too found them to be too hot..That said I wrapped a couple 24g Nichrome coils on a 3mm bit..10 wraps came out to .25 ohms, and at 70w with wide open airflow they produce a much cooler, thicker flavorful vape that is very enjoyable, even chain vaping...it's now my favorite build and I'm leaving those claptons alone, lololo

Sent from my QTAQZ3 using Tapatalk
I like a warm vape but I agree that the 26/32 would be ALOT of heat.
I'm using 28/38 fused in mine at 65 watts for a warm flavorful as all hell vape.
Cloudz fo dayz braz

bugs-one

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Chuff instead of drip tip, with wide open air helps a little. But I agree, 26/32 kanthal is too hot for me, I now use SS.
I'm definitely gonna try that. This morning I tried a different juice thats been steeping and it is great. The heat is not as hot and the flavor is damn good, now I just gotta get the wicking just right. I think the juice I had needs to steep a little so the nic calm mellow out a bit.

Ravendark

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Thanks Break-19 and itsmenotyou.

Has anyone found a way to get a not so hot vape from 26/32's? Maybe more or less wraps, ID or watts?
I use 26/32, 3.5 ID, 7 wraps, 0.47Ω. Quite warm and it gets hot when chainvaping. Fused 28 is better

Sent from my NX505J using Tapatalk

tazz2293

VU Donator
Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Been having a issue with my wicking technique with the Griffin. Starts out great and then 2 days later time to rewick.

Can wick the Crius no problem.

Should be a similar wicking technique.

tazz2293

VU Donator
Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
This is after 1 day.

Dual Clapton coils - .25 Ohm total build. 60-70 Watts

Cotton in juice holes does not look bad.

20160409_201549.jpg 20160409_201609.jpg After 1 day.jpg 20160409_201625.jpg

ej1024

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Been having a issue with my wicking technique with the Griffin. Starts out great and then 2 days later time to rewick.

Can wick the Crius no problem.

Should be a similar wicking technique.
What's the problem tAzz?

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Mine will be here next week. And Ray is shipping me some coils. Gonna be bad ass! :wave:
Shhh some people in this thread seem to have a prejudice to coils other then normal ones...:p Which is why I dropped this thread and havent really came back to it...:poop:

tazz2293

VU Donator
Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Shhh some people in this thread seem to have a prejudice to coils other then normal ones...:p Which is why I dropped this thread and havent really came back to it...:poop:

Did not know. changed my post.

bugs-one

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
This is the Griffin Deck after Dry Burn to clean coils

New Cotton. Before Trimming. Does this look good?

In my personal limited experience with Claptons the wicking is better when its a little loose. Not snug but not too loose. What I also do is cut a little off the bottom of the wick and it works fine for me. Another thing I noticed is the juice holes gotta be just at the right spot too.

mkmnrm76

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Just tried moving my coils up from where they were and I've gotten rid of the leaking.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

mkmnrm76

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Might try that on my next rebuild.
I've tried about every wicking method that I can find on the interweb and so far....this has been an instant fix and I can take it up to a higher wattage too. Crazy!!!!

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

blakemorder

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Hey I figured id post here, my Griffin wide bore got destroyed in a fall, so where can I get a new in pretty short order? I hate the 510 adapter on it

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Hey I figured id post here, my Griffin wide bore got destroyed in a fall, so where can I get a new in pretty short order? I hate the 510 adapter on it
Buy a DotMod driptip...its the same size and gives it just about a millimeter smaller bore then the wide tip and its more comfier...
Dotmod Tip Griffin.jpg 20160223_142136.jpg 20160223_142123.jpg 20160223_142059.jpg

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
I'll have to give that a little thought, 25 dollars is quite a bit. The friction fit holds tight though?
I bought 5 of them on FT for $5...I didnt buy the Real Tip...The friction tip is great...nice tight fit and fits just about everything...also is why the bore is soo wide.
Here is the one Shown LINK

blakemorder

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I bought 5 of them on FT for $5...I didnt buy the Real Tip...The friction tip is great...nice tight fit and fits just about everything...also is why the bore is soo wide.
Here is the one Shown LINK
See since mine split in half id like one sooner than a month from now or I'd love to go fastech I hate 510's with a passion anymore, that'd look sick on the goon though.

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
See since mine split in half id like one sooner than a month from now or I'd love to go fastech I hate 510's with a passion anymore, that'd look sick on the goon though.
Mine as well buy it and forget it...its always a nice surprise...Im still waiting for the So Horney RDA..

@CrazyChef any update on yours? My order's tracking info doesnt work like my last order from them

VU Sponsors