Become a Patron!

My RBA keeps crackling! Help!

So i just made my first RBA. Its a single coil, some japanese cotton, nothing fancy. Im using the pre-set deck that came with the Kanger Subox Kit and when i use it, it crackles A LOT.

Is that normal?

Other than that its fine, flavor is pretty good and it produces a good amount of vape. It just crackles and makes a lot of sound. Is that normal?

Also, i see vapor coming out of the airflow section and the bottom of the tank...is this bad? Im new so i feel really dumb for not knowing. Any help is really appreciated.

richardward77

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Is it a spaced coil as in there is a gap between each wrap.

Sent from my ST23i using Tapatalk

robot zombie

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Both are pretty normal.

Some people actually like the crackle. It's sort of mysterious... ...tends to happen more with tank systems because of how the airflow and wicking are set up. I think it's just air bubbles that build up sometimes. Another explanation is juice collecting in tiny gaps between the coil and getting shot out when rapidly heated. As long as it's not spitting on you or resulting in a burnt taste, it's not a problem.

Vapor coming out the airflow holes is also harmless, though it can lead to condensation, which if not cleaned out regularly, will leak out a little bit.

Is that how its suppose to be?
As a rule? No. Most people, when building coils themselves, tend to squish them together so that all of the wraps are touching. Spaced wraps aren't wrong, either. It's just a matter of preference. Spaced coils just perform a bit differently.

Both are pretty normal.

Some people actually like the crackle. It's sort of mysterious... ...tends to happen more with tank systems because of how the airflow and wicking are set up. I think it's just air bubbles that build up sometimes. Another explanation is juice collecting in tiny gaps between the coil and getting shot out when rapidly heated. As long as it's not spitting on you or resulting in a burnt taste, it's not a problem.

Vapor coming out the airflow holes is also harmless, though it can lead to condensation, which if not cleaned out regularly, will leak out a little bit.

As a rule? No. Most people, when building coils themselves, tend to squish them together so that all of the wraps are touching. Spaced wraps aren't wrong, either. It's just a matter of preference. Spaced coils just perform a bit differently.

Okay, thanks! Its actually starting to taste a little burnt. Could this be resolved by changing the cotton?

robot zombie

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Okay, thanks! Its actually starting to taste a little burnt. Could this be resolved by changing the cotton?

Sounds like it's not wicked right maybe too tight.
Yeah, this. Try using less and see if that doesn't solve your problem. If you put too much cotton in, the juice won't flow through it efficiently enough to consistently reach your coils. Too little and it will flood. Keep it fluffy, but you shouldn't feel much resistance when pulling it through. You should have just enough in there to make contact with the full inner-surface of the coil. Lengthwise, you want just a tad more than enough to reach where the juice feeds in.

VU Sponsors