Become a Patron!

My Run-In Tonight With The Police Because of Vaping

ScReWbALL

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I was at work and around 8:15pm I decide to take a 15 minute break, which I take in my car so I can listen to music and vape.
I’m pretty far out in the parking lot (employees are supposed to park at the back of the lot, but I’m the only one it seems that does). I’m jammin to some tunes and vaping with my car window open and a police car pulls in and parks in the spot behind me...then flicks on blue lights.
He comes up to me saying they have had reports of someone sitting in their car in the parking lot smoking m*rijuana and there’s an abnormal amount of smoke coming out of my window. I explain I’m vaping and he questions me about why aren’t I in the smoking area where everyone takes their smoke breaks and I explain that since I quit smoking 2 years ago, I can no longer stand the smell of cigarette smoke and asked if I was doing something wrong sitting in my car listening to music and vaping, where he proceeds to tell me that I am making myself look very suspect in distancing myself from everyone and then sitting in a cloud in my car.
I was a municipal worker (Code Enforcement) for 7 years and have nothing but respect for police officers, especially since I worked closely with them often, but seriously? Going to give me a hard time because I like to listen to my music and not be around a bunch of people that are smoking? I really just wanted to be like “Yeah, Chief...you got me...when I wanna blaze one I drive out to the middle of an empty parking lot and roll my windows down and light up to make sure I attract the eye of everyone in the general vicinity.”
I can understand needing to check out a call you get over the radio and appreciate that he must’ve been pretty Johnny-On-The-Spot to get the call and get there in less time than my 15 minute break lasts, but after explaining the cloud and showing him I was vaping, to still get the 3rd degree after the fact for not being in the smoking area to vape? I’m sorry, but
2ffbcd0aaa05f3d24eb9c822b7977594.jpg

You're not drinking water are you?! You realize that stuff is found in antifreeze!?!

AndriaD

Yes, I DO wear a mask! I'm vaccinated, too!
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I was at work and around 8:15pm I decide to take a 15 minute break, which I take in my car so I can listen to music and vape.
I’m pretty far out in the parking lot (employees are supposed to park at the back of the lot, but I’m the only one it seems that does). I’m jammin to some tunes and vaping with my car window open and a police car pulls in and parks in the spot behind me...then flicks on blue lights.

2ffbcd0aaa05f3d24eb9c822b7977594.jpg

You're not drinking water are you?! You realize that stuff is found in antifreeze!?!

Damn. You must have like zero actual crime where you live, the cops are just plain BORED with all the law-abiding going on. :facepalm:

Andria

JuicyLucy

My name is Lucy and I am a squonkaholic
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
Not shit, investigate actual crimes where real people get victimized :cloud:

voicenyerhed

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Meanwhile, there's always an area closer by where they could actually witness a crime but they aren't going to put themselves in harms way by going where they know crime is happening.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

ScReWbALL

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Even when I am blazing away there is little to no smoke.
Cops are dumb.

Back in my younger days when I did mess around with a little herbage, trying to open the window during a good clambake was a quick way of getting headslapped by everyone in the car and getting skipped in the rotation that next couple of passes. Maybe things have changed?

strigamort

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Jeez... SMH

A few weeks ago I was at a red light about to turn left. A cop was in the left turn lane on the cross street. He was hawking me before he hit the intersection. As he stared while driving in front of me he remembered to actually turn left. Over correcting he had to yank the wheel to the right to avoid smashing into the concrete island. I laughed pretty hard. I did feel a tiny bit of embarrassment and compassion for him, but it dissipated quickly.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

mikeyboy74

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Same experience as OP in both NJ and NH, both times in my car in hotel parking lot. I am just north of NYC for work now, been here 13 days, have not yet seen someone use a mod in public. Unbelievable. Using a Juul, and suspect that's what it has come to in the northeast.

Synphul

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
At least the cops there respond to complaints. I've complained numerous times when I smell m*th cooking down the road and the wind blows it through my yard. The one time I reported it the cops told me to go down there and buy some, see if they'd sell to me so they'd be able to have evidence. Like yea, that's what I'm gonna do. Knock on the door of a lab then get the cops there while I'm holding whatever I just purchased. I've done some dumb shit but never purposely shoved a nail up my own ass and pretty sure that would be the equivalent. It's not like it's improbable around here, half the cars that wreck they find a mobile lab in their trunk. Not only does the shit reek like hell it's explosive.

Sucks getting harassed but I could see where it might look sketchy to some people. Similar to catching a cops attention by hitting the brakes after passing another car whether you were speeding or not or wandering around in a trench coat ducking down between parked cars with a knit cap pulled low. Maybe it's just cold out and you're picking up loose change but to a cop passing by you can't really blame them for stopping if it looks suspicious.

Hell I got pulled over once for basically driving after dark. Small town, most places were closed, no traffic. My crime, it was 1:30a and I was driving slow. Had just got done fixing my truck on a work night, it was dirty as hell and I worked in a nicer town. Took it to a self serve car wash and the change machine was out of order so I was hunting for a gas station that might be open to get change. Cop stopped me, had me step out of the truck while he opened all 4 doors and the back hatch, proceeded to do a full vehicle search. He came up with a bible and a wrench. Meanwhile the cop's vehicle had a headlight out, which I courteously reminded him he should fix. He grilled me as to why I was out late, what was I doing driving through town. Like shit, is there a curfew I'm unaware of? Just depends on the cop/town I guess. Getting stopped and briefly questioned I could have almost understood, but a full vehicle search was a bit much.

ScReWbALL

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
UPDATE:
I found out why it was such an ordeal. Apparently, one of my co-workers was having his wife pick him up when he got off at 11pm, and while waiting for him to come out, she was approached by some folks with a gun and they told her to get out or they’d shoot and they stole her car. Only silver lining is they wrecked the car and scurried off less than 5 miles away, so, the car was returned even though it is damaged, but the carjackers are still in the wind.
I completely understand the reason for the balls out full bore approach to the situation I was in now. Now I’m just upset that I didn’t hear about this until today, when this happened last weekend and they changed the rules about us having to park at the back of the lot!

Lannie

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
UPDATE:
I found out why it was such an ordeal. Apparently, one of my co-workers was having his wife pick him up when he got off at 11pm, and while waiting for him to come out, she was approached by some folks with a gun and they told her to get out or they’d shoot and they stole her car. Only silver lining is they wrecked the car and scurried off less than 5 miles away, so, the car was returned even though it is damaged, but the carjackers are still in the wind.
I completely understand the reason for the balls out full bore approach to the situation I was in now. Now I’m just upset that I didn’t hear about this until today, when this happened last weekend and they changed the rules about us having to park at the back of the lot!

Wow, scary. Sometimes I don't like living out in the middle of nowhere (we're 100 miles from "town"), but stories like this make me GLAD we live so far away from other people. I'm glad everyone was OK, well, except the car, and thanks for the update. :)

VU Sponsors