Become a Patron!

My Search for my favorite RTA

pescadore

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
After I starting building a couple years back, I went on a search for my favorite RBA or RTA. I have had several different brand RTA's and finally thought that I had found my favorite in the Kylin however, I could not keep the thing from leaking. I contacted Vandy Vape service USA and they said that they had problems with the first version of the the Kylin and that the deck itself leaked from the press fit. I couldn't find the top of my box so they could not send me a new deck because the top of the box has the authenticity verification. I sent them all the info I could but they still have not responded with whether they will be sending me a new deck. The Kylin has great flavor and clouds but the leaking even though it is not terrible drives me crazy. In came the Geekvape Ammit 25 that I bought from a seller on this forum. I have had absolutely no leaking from my very first attempt at wicking it and the flavor is really good. I have since purchased another Ammit 25 on the Hardware forum and got the same great flavor and no leaking. I have to say that I have found my favorite RTA and probably will be purchasing more in the future when I get my next paycheck.

pescadore

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Serpent smm - single coil, no leaking so far. I just bought a second one

I almost bought the SMM before I got the Ammit. Seems like an easy deck to build and wick. Thanks for the info. I love single coil RTA's !!!

jr779

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I almost bought the SMM before I got the Ammit. Seems like an easy deck to build and wick. Thanks for the info. I love single coil RTA's !!!
I’ve only been using them for about 2 months. I bought the serpent smm and the Merlin mini. The Merlin has been a pain with leaking. The serpent is easy to wick if you follow suckmymods YouTube video and it also comes with 3 excellent pre made coils which load up in 2 seconds. The flavour is excellent and the price is under $25 usd on fasttech. I bought a second one to replace the Merlin.

Chokeslam

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Another vote for the Reload. Great all around RTA. Good flavor, easy to build, and easy to wick. Any RTA will leak if it's wicked too loose. Yes, any. Put one of those "leak-proof" top airflow RTAs in your pocket and sit with your feet propped up for twenty minutes. If it's wicked too loose it's gonna leak. What I look for is an RTA with a good margin for error, one that doesn't have to be wicked JUST right to be flavorful and leak-free. This is the Reload. Note, though, that it doesn't have as much airflow as the Kylin.

If you want something that performs similarly to the Kylin, but better, check out the Sherman V3. It's given me the holy grail vape I've spent a lot of time and money searching for. The airflow feels very much like the Kylin, the flavor is better, and it doesn't have that press fit twist-style JFC that makes the Kylin so prone to leaking.

r055co

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Another vote for the Reload. Great all around RTA. Good flavor, easy to build, and easy to wick. Any RTA will leak if it's wicked too loose. Yes, any. Put one of those "leak-proof" top airflow RTAs in your pocket and sit with your feet propped up for twenty minutes. If it's wicked too loose it's gonna leak. What I look for is an RTA with a good margin for error, one that doesn't have to be wicked JUST right to be flavorful and leak-free. This is the Reload. Note, though, that it doesn't have as much airflow as the Kylin.

If you want something that performs similarly to the Kylin, but better, check out the Sherman V3. It's given me the holy grail vape I've spent a lot of time and money searching for. The airflow feels very much like the Kylin, the flavor is better, and it doesn't have that press fit twist-style JFC that makes the Kylin so prone to leaking.
For 30mm RTA's best I've found is Modfather and for flavor with the short kit ........... awesome

SSj0bBm.jpg

Chokeslam

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
For 30mm RTA's best I've found is Modfather and for flavor with the short kit ........... awesome

SSj0bBm.jpg
I've got one, and I agree it's a great tank. Outstanding build quality, good flavor, and the wicking isn't as touchy as it's made out to be in my experience. I'm just not crazy about the noisiness of the airflow. It sounds finicky, but it really is basically a deal-breaker for me. If it wasn't for that I probably would have never even gotten a Sherman in the first place. All that being said I do think that the Sherman has a pretty fair edge in the flavor department. It's not a perfect tank, but it's really close to my idea of a perfect vape.

jr779

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years

That looks nice - $100 though

Frictionluvr

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I have a reload and i have a pair of coilart azeroth's...their so close in flavor but very different in price. I found my reload for $50 used not sure i would have ever paid $75 for a new one. Neither leak if wicked properly but the triple coil deck presents some extra time and effort. Im running SS triple core 28g fused claptons in the azeroths and their coming in at .08 ohms. Luckily my voopoo drags fire down that low in wattage. Ive got SS quad core 28g fused claptons in the reload

Fudgey Finger

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I'm surprised that the Petri 24 by dotmod never gets mentioned in these conversations. I'm an rta fanatic and I haven't found one that matches the flavor and wicking forgiveness that the Petri has. I keep buying new tanks to try but within a day I'm back to my Petri.

It does have a couple minor flaws, but it's perfect in all the areas that matter to me. After reading this discussion, though, I am really thinking about grabbing a reload.

Sent from my LGL64VL using Tapatalk

Chokeslam

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
I'm surprised that the Petri 24 by dotmod never gets mentioned in these conversations. I'm an rta fanatic and I haven't found one that matches the flavor and wicking forgiveness that the Petri has. I keep buying new tanks to try but within a day I'm back to my Petri.

It does have a couple minor flaws, but it's perfect in all the areas that matter to me. After reading this discussion, though, I am really thinking about grabbing a reload.

I can only speak for myself of course, but the lack of color options was a deal-breaker for me. I was excited about it when it first popped up, and have heard nothing but good things since, I just don't like gold atties. If they'd released the 24mm version in black or stainless I'd have scooped it up in a heartbeat.

SkoldVape

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
After I starting building a couple years back, I went on a search for my favorite RBA or RTA. I have had several different brand RTA's and finally thought that I had found my favorite in the Kylin however, I could not keep the thing from leaking. I contacted Vandy Vape service USA and they said that they had problems with the first version of the the Kylin and that the deck itself leaked from the press fit. I couldn't find the top of my box so they could not send me a new deck because the top of the box has the authenticity verification. I sent them all the info I could but they still have not responded with whether they will be sending me a new deck. The Kylin has great flavor and clouds but the leaking even though it is not terrible drives me crazy. In came the Geekvape Ammit 25 that I bought from a seller on this forum. I have had absolutely no leaking from my very first attempt at wicking it and the flavor is really good. I have since purchased another Ammit 25 on the Hardware forum and got the same great flavor and no leaking. I have to say that I have found my favorite RTA and probably will be purchasing more in the future when I get my next paycheck.
They sent me a replacement deck and it was the version two as well. Still leaked and had liquid on the 510. Believe me your made the right decision getting another ammit 25. It has much less issues.
It's one of my favourites :)

pescadore

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
They sent me a replacement deck and it was the version two as well. Still leaked and had liquid on the 510. Believe me your made the right decision getting another ammit 25. It has much less issues.
It's one of my favourites :)

They keep telling me they are sending me one but have yet to see it. Not counting on it at all !! Got a Vaporesso NRG tank and really like it. Not a coil tank kind of guy but had to make an exception on this one after trying a friends. Hope I can get a couple weeks out of a coil like he does and I will be happy.

SkoldVape

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
They keep telling me they are sending me one but have yet to see it. Not counting on it at all !! Got a Vaporesso NRG tank and really like it. Not a coil tank kind of guy but had to make an exception on this one after trying a friends. Hope I can get a couple weeks out of a coil like he does and I will be happy.
I actually think the NRG tank subs but that's mainly cos I got a bad batch of coils that burnt out in a couple days. The flavour on the cleito exo and crown is better though for pre made coils too. Wasn't that impressed

Dpetes

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years

I feel the exact same way. I have the Petri 22mm and 24mm rta and they are awesome tanks. I've also been buying a bunch of rta and nothing can match it until I got the wake mod rta. It's $39.99 and it's from the makers of dotmod that started a new company. You have to try it if you love the Petri. It'll blow you away!

Attachments

• 15107510866681976485152.jpg
    15107510866681976485152.jpg
    893.6 KB · Views: 20

pescadore

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I actually think the NRG tank subs but that's mainly cos I got a bad batch of coils that burnt out in a couple days. The flavour on the cleito exo and crown is better though for pre made coils too. Wasn't that impressed

I completely disagree. I have had the NRG for over a week and still going strong on the original coil. I vape all day every day so that is a big plus to me. I have had the Crown III and didn't like it due to having to run the power so high. I did get good use from the coils though.

SkoldVape

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I completely disagree. I have had the NRG for over a week and still going strong on the original coil. I vape all day every day so that is a big plus to me. I have had the Crown III and didn't like it due to having to run the power so high. I did get good use from the coils though.
If I didn't have dud coils I would have a different opinion

voicenyerhed

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I don't have any of the tanks mentioned in this thread so far, but I picked up the Fire Luke recently and have had no issue with leaking. I have only wicked it once and it went as smoothly as it possibly could have, no issues. I am about to do my second wicking today. The wick isn't burnt, I just made some shit juice and can't get the taste to go away totally. But flavor is the best I have had to date in my small limited experience with rebuildables.

DonBaldy

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Used to be another SMM guy and still like it a lot, but for me the Pharaoh mini is a little better. Rip is an odd SOB but his projects are pretty good.

Fudgey Finger

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I feel the exact same way. I have the Petri 22mm and 24mm rta and they are awesome tanks. I've also been buying a bunch of rta and nothing can match it until I got the wake mod rta. It's $39.99 and it's from the makers of dotmod that started a new company. You have to try it if you love the Petri. It'll blow you away!
No shit... I will have to check it out. I'll order one tonight. Thanks for the heads up. I did just buy a kylin from the marketplace here that hasn't shown up yet. I hear its pretty awesome. Also in the middle of a trade for the ammit dual rta. They both have similar decks to the Petri and look great for flavor.

How is the Petri 22 compared to the 24?
I don't have any of the tanks mentioned in this thread so far, but I picked up the Fire Luke recently and have had no issue with leaking. I have only wicked it once and it went as smoothly as it possibly could have, no issues. I am about to do my second wicking today. The wick isn't burnt, I just made some shit juice and can't get the taste to go away totally. But flavor is the best I have had to date in my small limited experience with rebuildables.
I have a fireluke as well. Its a pretty good rta, with slightly above average flavor. There just isn't enough build space for my liking.

Dpetes

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
No shit... I will have to check it out. I'll order one tonight. Thanks for the heads up. I did just buy a kylin from the marketplace here that hasn't shown up yet. I hear its pretty awesome. Also in the middle of a trade for the ammit dual rta. They both have similar decks to the Petri and look great for flavor.

How is the Petri 22 compared to the 24?I have a fireluke as well. Its a pretty good rta, with slightly above average flavor. There just isn't enough build space for my liking.

Yeah I have two kylins. They have great flavor, ton of room for builds, real easy to wick but both seep ejuice from the base. You'll definitely like the kylin but the wake rta takes it to a new level. I'm blown away by the flavor

pescadore

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Got an email from VandyVape Service USA apologizing for the guy (former sales associate) that I have been dealing with about my Kylin. Apparantly my deck was never sent out like he said it was and they sent me a tracking number for a new deck. I know things like this can happen with a bad employee and at least they are trying to make it right. If the replacement leaks like has been said then it will be my last attempt to use the Kylin. I really like the flavor but the leaking issue is just too much to deal with. I picked up a SMM off the trading post and should be here tomorrow or Friday. Looking forward to comparing it to the Ammit 25.

pescadore

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Got an email from VandyVape Service USA apologizing for the guy (former sales associate) that I have been dealing with about my Kylin. Apparantly my deck was never sent out like he said it was and they sent me a tracking number for a new deck. I know things like this can happen with a bad employee and at least they are trying to make it right. If the replacement leaks like has been said then it will be my last attempt to use the Kylin. I really like the flavor but the leaking issue is just too much to deal with. I picked up a SMM off the trading post and should be here tomorrow or Friday. Looking forward to comparing it to the Ammit 25.

Got my Kylin deck today and Wow what a difference. I have absolutely no leaking after installing dual fused claptons and she is vaping like a dream. I have been through the wringer with this thing but persistence paid off and I have some restored faith in VandyVape and the Kylin RTA.

VU Sponsors