Become a Patron!

My very first rda and spitting

LeanPipe

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Hi,
I got me a sqonker! Pico squeeze with the coral rda.
I installed the stock Clapton's. I checked the ohms and all good.
I am getting a bit of spit back, and it kinda scares me.
I googled, and it appears that claptons might be the reason??
I have some 28agw, kanthal, and I did 3 wrap (used steam engine).
I am having trouble getting the wires to stay put once screwed down.
I have never built before.
I am thinking of getting some stainless steel, but for now I might twist two pieces of 28ga together, but unsure how to calculate that.
It would be a lot easier if I could just make one coil, because I am finding it fiddly fitting two, and eyesight has seen better days lol.
Can I make a build using one coil on the coral rda, as there's two rows of holes?
Yes, I have a lot to learn, but I am keen!
Thanks.

VAPEROXX

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Hi,
I am thinking of getting some stainless steel, but for now I might twist two pieces of 28ga together, but unsure how to calculate that.
It would be a lot easier if I could just make one coil, because I am finding it fiddly fitting two, and eyesight has seen better days lol.
Can I make a build using one coil on the coral rda, as there's two rows of holes?
Thanks.
First use more than 3 wraps...try like 10 with a regular Clapton. Second wick it a little tighter through the coil.
Claptons of all kinds spit back a little but too much is usually a wicking error.
Try Nichrome 80 before dabbling in SS (My opinion, but safe for a new builder)
The Coral RDA/RSA is a single or dual coil RDA/RSA.
There is a tool on Steam Engine for twisting wire, but I find it difficult to get the pitch just right so I kinda guesstimate. Get a Coilmaster ohm meter or a quality regulated mod and measure your resistance that way.
Your having trouble keeping the wire in place because of large post holes and small wire. A twisted coil will be easier to hold down in the large post holes.
Feel free to PM me anytime with vaping questions of any kind.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

LeanPipe

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
First use more than 3 wraps...try like 10 with a regular Clapton. Second wick it a little tighter through the coil.
Claptons of all kinds spit back a little but too much is usually a wicking error.
Try Nichrome 80 before dabbling in SS (My opinion, but safe for a new builder)
The Coral RDA/RSA is a single or dual coil RDA/RSA.
There is a tool on Steam Engine for twisting wire, but I find it difficult to get the pitch just right so I kinda guesstimate. Get a Coilmaster ohm meter or a quality regulated mod and measure your resistance that way.
Your having trouble keeping the wire in place because of large post holes and small wire. A twisted coil will be easier to hold down in the large post holes.
Feel free to PM me anytime with vaping questions of any kind.

Thanks for your help! I am using the two included Clapton coils that I installed, but I have a spool of 28agw kanthal. I also got my hubby the same set up, and I am using his for my first build lol! So, with the kanthal (all I have right now), I can make one coil? Do I have to cover both rows of holes? Yeah, I think I needed a tighter wick in mine, I had a bit of trouble stuffing the cotton in the tiny space.

VAPEROXX

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Roll one end of the cotton, poke the tightly rolled end in the coil, then pull it through.

VAPEROXX

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
With one coil, you'll want one air port open next to your coil.

LeanPipe

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
With one coil, you'll want one air port open next to your coil.

So, you mean one row of holes is the air port, not one hole?
Can you recommend a better rda that is super easy for newbie? I am just finding this one a bit too compact, can't see for shit lol

VAPEROXX

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Can you recommend a better rda that is super easy for newbie? I am just finding this one a bit too compact, can't see for shit lol
The Recurve RSA is a single coil and SUPER easy to build and wick. Not to mention flavor! Oh yeah! I have 3 of em!

LeanPipe

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
The Recurve RSA is a single coil and SUPER easy to build and wick. Not to mention flavor! Oh yeah! I have 3 of em!

Thanks for all your help!

VAPEROXX

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
No problem! Hit me up anytime! I'm always here and ready to help! Here's a pic of coil placement and airflow on the Recurve
16c65d0eca95e45046435d70d0f60bac.jpg

WPMac

Silver Contributor
Member For 1 Year
Unlisted Vendor
Hi,
Thanks.
First off I would suggest sticking with kenthal to start with. It is a lot more forgiving with a higher ohm/ft (or or meter if your a metric user). And after firing the ohms don't jump around as much as other alloys.

second, 3 wraps is not enough for a small build (1-2 wires). Your not getting enough surface area of metal making contact with the wick/juice. on avg try to shoot for at least 5 wraps. To achieve this just decrease the ID (inner diameter) of your coil. Smaller ID means more wraps for the same length of wire. This is one of the major issues with spitback.

Third, I would suggest getting comfortable with single wire builds before moving on to anything else. Get to know your hardware! Get to know your metal, how it acts under any given situation (i.e. different combinations of ID/AWG/Single vs dual coil/Wattage/ect...

4th, Don't be afraid to adjust the coil after it has been installed and screwed down!! Just make sure it's not hot lol. Just put your wrapping tool through the coil and move it around until it's in a place that looks good to you.

The other problem with spitback has been said already. It is usually a wicking issue. Make sure your wick is in there nice and tight. Wicking itself has as much of a learning curve as building the coil.

The Coral is 23mm. You dont get much bigger without being pretty big and funky looking. especially on the Pico. Looks like it might take a 24mm without any overhang. But, in all reality 1mm isn't going to make a big difference for installing coils. Ease of installation is subjective, but for most a postless deck tends to be "easier". The drawback to most postless decks is the need to snip your lead lengths pretty accurately. Personally I like the VandyVape Pulse 24. It does well in single and dual coil. And measuring leads is extremely easy. Plus there are 4 lead holes all with their own individual screws. Now I don't have one of these but The dead rabbit and/or drop are supposed to be extremely easy to build on.

VAPEROXX

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
The Recurve RSA comes with it's own coil lead measuring tools by the way.

LeanPipe

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
First off I would suggest sticking with kenthal to start with. It is a lot more forgiving with a higher ohm/ft (or or meter if your a metric user). And after firing the ohms don't jump around as much as other alloys.

second, 3 wraps is not enough for a small build (1-2 wires). Your not getting enough surface area of metal making contact with the wick/juice. on avg try to shoot for at least 5 wraps. To achieve this just decrease the ID (inner diameter) of your coil. Smaller ID means more wraps for the same length of wire. This is one of the major issues with spitback.

Third, I would suggest getting comfortable with single wire builds before moving on to anything else. Get to know your hardware! Get to know your metal, how it acts under any given situation (i.e. different combinations of ID/AWG/Single vs dual coil/Wattage/ect...

4th, Don't be afraid to adjust the coil after it has been installed and screwed down!! Just make sure it's not hot lol. Just put your wrapping tool through the coil and move it around until it's in a place that looks good to you.

The other problem with spitback has been said already. It is usually a wicking issue. Make sure your wick is in there nice and tight. Wicking itself has as much of a learning curve as building the coil.

The Coral is 23mm. You dont get much bigger without being pretty big and funky looking. especially on the Pico. Looks like it might take a 24mm without any overhang. But, in all reality 1mm isn't going to make a big difference for installing coils. Ease of installation is subjective, but for most a postless deck tends to be "easier". The drawback to most postless decks is the need to snip your lead lengths pretty accurately. Personally I like the VandyVape Pulse 24. It does well in single and dual coil. And measuring leads is extremely easy. Plus there are 4 lead holes all with their own individual screws. Now I don't have one of these but The dead rabbit and/or drop are supposed to be extremely easy to build on.
Thanks so much. I am using crochet hooks to measure id. I will practice all weekend using this kanthal on the coral. I will not get ahead of myself, sorry lol. I will make the coils and test the ohms, because I am afraid of blowing my face off, and I will get over that fear, it will get easier. I will keep going with the coral I have, until I know what I am doing. You guys have been great. I am so green, you are very patient.

geoffd

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
If you have the original Pico (not the pico2) it will not take a 24mm rda due to the battery cap. I would suggest a Wasp nano rda. It's single coil and easy to build and pretty inexpensive. I add a 510 drip tip on the cap. Using a .25 to .3 build gives a good vape IMO.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

LeanPipe

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
If you have the original Pico (not the pico2) it will not take a 24mm rda due to the battery cap. I would suggest a Wasp nano rda. It's single coil and easy to build and pretty inexpensive. I add a 510 drip tip on the cap. Using a .25 to .3 build gives a good vape IMO.

Thanks, it's the original

geoffd

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Thanks, it's the original
Another single coil rda that I've liked on the Pico is the Dead Rabbit SQ. The Coral that comes in the kit is notoriously unpopular.
For coils you could try to find some SS Clapton's or get a spool of 26 ga SS and try 6 wraps 3mm in parallel. Good luck with learning to build. With a few tries you will get it...
YouTube is your friend for learning.

VAPEROXX

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Fast tech?
I wouldn't order anything from Fast tech. I can't wait that long. Lol! The Gas Mods Nixon S is another good RSA option coming in at 22mm. The Recurve also has 22mm conversion caps available to make it 22mm. VaporDNA, Element Vape, Myvpro.com are all good sites to find these items and get them in a few days.

VAPEROXX

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
But being you're from Australia; I honestly don't know where the best place for you to get vape products...

LeanPipe

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
But being you're from Australia; I honestly don't know where the best place for you to get vape products...

There's a lot of good vape sites in Australia.
FT is where I get a lot of hardware, but yes, waiting is hard lol!

LeanPipe

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Another single coil rda that I've liked on the Pico is the Dead Rabbit SQ. The Coral that comes in the kit is notoriously unpopular.
For coils you could try to find some SS Clapton's or get a spool of 26 ga SS and try 6 wraps 3mm in parallel. Good luck with learning to build. With a few tries you will get it...
YouTube is your friend for learning.

Thank god for this forum and yt.
I would still be smoking if it wasn't for the internet.

VAPEROXX

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Thank god for this forum and yt.
I would still be smoking if it wasn't for the internet.
Keep it up! And keep learning. The more you learn, the more you wanna vape and stay away from the stinkies

LeanPipe

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Shocking photo sorry.
My very first build, and it is single 28agw kanthal, 2mm, 5 wrap 1.13 ohms. Does it suck lol
IMG_20180907_150129.jpg

LeanPipe

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
So far no spit
Probably need more cotton.
Speaking of which, in a pinch is drugstore 100% cotton safe to use?

MrMeowgi

The Vapin' Drummer
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I can never get the pitch calculated correctly but here's the math to it
df2ea2780ee505507e7d14cc6b958bc9.jpg

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

LeanPipe

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Thanks, I didn't know about pitch.
Holy crap lol.
At least I know how to check ohm.
I don't want to blow my face up.
I am making, checking ohm, ditching for now.

WPMac

Silver Contributor
Member For 1 Year
Unlisted Vendor
Thanks, I didn't know about pitch.
Holy crap lol.
At least I know how to check ohm.
I don't want to blow my face up.
I am making, checking ohm, ditching for now.
Pitch matters because when you twist wires together your getting more wire per length than just straight wire. Measuring distance between pitches allows the calculators to have a good idea of how much wire is in each length.
I would also work on trying to get "cleaner" coils. Each wrap doesn't have to be all tight and close together. But the distance between each wrap should be close to the same. And each wrap should have identical inner diameters. This means keeping constant, and consistent, tension on the wire as you wrap. Some of it can be cleaned up, as well as made worse, during installation. a cleaner coil will heat up more evenly and give a better vape. This also is imprtant for multiple coil builds. Each coil should be as identical to one another as possible. So practicing getting a good consistent wrap job is super important to being able to find that "perfect" vape for you.

LeanPipe

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Thanks for the tips. I am using crochet hook for mandrel, I am only doing single wire, but I am playing around too much when I get it installed. That's what I am probably doing wrong.

VU Sponsors