Become a Patron!

My VV AIO Went For A Hydraulic Fluid Swim

SirKadly

Squonk 'em if you got 'em
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
So, several days ago, I had a rather unusual accident while at work, or rather my Vandy Vape Pulse AIO did. It fell out of my shirt pocket (which I thought was buttoned but...) and into a tray filled with hydraulic fluid. I quickly retrieved it, pulled out the battery, wiped it off as best I could, and once home I pulled the tank out and wiped the entire mod down with alcohol. The good news is that the mod didn't appear to suffer any permanent damage, though who knows. There could be oil down inside the chip area that will cause it to suffer a premature demise. I have no way of knowing for sure. But for now anyway it still seems to function fine.

My question that I have been trying to decide now for many days is what to do about the tank. I did rinse it in hot water, then gave it an extended alcohol bath, followed by another hot winter rinse. Though it was only submerged for a few seconds, the hydraulic fluid still likely filled the chimney at the very least, even if it never made it into the tank. I'm uncertain if it is worth putting it back into use. This is the tank that takes the prebuilt coils, I still have a second one of those, and of course I have the rebuildable Kylin tanks along with a couple of other boro style tanks. So it wouldn't be a big loss to just trash the tank. Part of me thinks that's the best thing to do to play it safe, part of me thinks the bath should have been good enough.

Anyway, the tank is just sitting there waiting on my decision and I'm not really sure which way to go with it. Thoughts? Does alcohol completely remove all traces of hydraulic fluid?

Advice appreciated, even if the advice is "Just toss it."

SirKadly

Squonk 'em if you got 'em
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
My how this site has fallen. Once upon a time this post would have had multiple responses within the first 7 hours, now even after 7 days there hasn't been a single reply. Considering the unresolved bugs and the lack of any actual interest in helping vapers, I think it's time to change the logo. Here is my suggestion.

1708301659952.png

SnapDragon NY

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
VU SWAT
In my opinion , I would throw out that tank, why take the chance of any trace of that hydraulic fluid at all in the tank?
Hopefully you got a new tank by now. Sorry for the late response.
In my opinion -As to when the forum started to shift to fewer people posting and helping here was when vaping was demonized by many states, credit cards /PP ,and shippers around the same time as Covid. Almost all of the Vape shops shut down in the US , even our favorite China shops shut down.
Then add the problems with the site, it gets frustrating on some days to even post here.
Sad this used to be a bustling forum with lots of actively posting members, then many just left, not even a goodbye,never to return - turned this once great forum into a ghost town.

Last edited:

Lady Sarah

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I've got to where I only check in once or twice a day anymore. Not sure how many left over the policy to ban any and all political discussion or opinion, or how many left over bots and scammers. But, it has become fairly quiet here since.

As for the tank, I say toss it. If you cannot be 150% certain it is up to your standards, it is not good enough to use.

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I don't have any AIO or pod-type stuff, but I would soak/scrub it with Dawn dish soap, then the alcohol bath as you did.

It's an organic fluid, so that should remove it. Hydraulic fluid has a strong smell, so if you smell anything untoward after the cleaning and can't fully disassemble it...toss it.

VU Sponsors