Platinum Contributor
VU Live Leadership
Show Host
Reviewer
Vape Media
VU Live Host
Member For 5 Years
N.J. tobacco purchase age increase to 21 effective today Nov 1, 2017

New Jersey is the third state to raise the minimum age for tobacco products in efforts to decrease smoking rates among teens and young adults and eliminate short- and long-term health effects and costs.

“By raising the minimum age to purchase tobacco products to 21, we are giving young people more time to develop a maturity and better understanding of how dangerous smoking can be and that it is better to not start smoking in the first place,” Gov. Chris Christie said after he signed the bill into law in July.

About 14.8 percent of adults in New Jersey use tobacco and 8.2 percent of high school students smoke, according to an American Lung Association report. Rates of smoking cigarettes among teens and young adults have been steadily declining for the past five years.

Anyone younger than 21 will no longer be able to buy cigarettes, cigarette paper, chewing tobacco, cigars and electronic smoking devices.

The penalty for businesses, retailers or people who sell tobacco products to teens and underage adults will face a penalties ranging from $fines of 250 to $1,000 for each violation.

Many local smokers have said they started buying cigarettes as teenagers and quickly developed an addiction to nicotine, making the habit hard to break. Although they said they are aware of evidence that smoking can cause illness, disease and death, it is difficult to quit after smoking for so many years.

“Many people start smoking in their teens because of peer pressure or the desire to fit in,” bill co-sponsor Assemblywoman Valerie Vainieri Huttle, D-Bergen, said in July. “Most teens feel invincible at that age and can’t fully comprehend the potential for addiction as well as the devastating long-term effects smoking can have on their health.”

Smoking tobacco remains the No. 1 cause of preventable death in the United States. The American Lung Association found 11,780 New Jersey residents died from smoking-related health issues between 2005 and 2009.

Taxpayers absorb $4 billion in tobacco-related health expenses every year in New Jersey, according to the association’s most recent report, many of that coming from tobacco-related diseases and illnesses such as cancer, heart disease, breathing issues and more.

New Jersey followed California and Hawaii in raising the smoking age. Maine and Oregon have since passed laws raising their own tobacco age thresholds to 21.

594835f08ba28.image.jpg

JuicyLucy

My name is Lucy and I am a squonkaholic
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
As if such measures actually work :crazy:

Sounds like the kind of shit they trot out to distract from real problems

Teresa P

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
And we all know this is the best way to get a teenager to do anything - tell them they can't. It's like a "double dawg dare ya" from the government. And to include vaping devices in that is ludicrous. The one thing that could keep them from developing lung cancer and they're lumping it in with cigarettes and tobacco...:facepalm:

pulsevape

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
So...they think you should have the right to vote, or get an abortion, or to eat enough junk food to become obese........but not to make a choice about smoking.......out of curiosity I wonder at what age they let you buy a gun there.

Rossum

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
So...they think you should have the right to vote, or get an abortion, or to eat enough junk food to become obese........but not to make a choice about smoking.......out of curiosity I wonder at what age they let you buy a gun there.
In NJ? Never. At least not without jumping through some very high flaming hoops first.

HondaDavidson

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Does that mean we get to raise age on the forums?

I could see a benefit there. Otherwise. .. I was buying cigs 10 years before legal as is... not like the world's changed that much.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

SMOKIE

THE MODFATHER
Staff member
VU Senior Leadership
VU Senior Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
VU Live Leadership
Show Host
Reviewer
Vape Media
VU Live Host
Member For 5 Years
Does that mean we get to raise age on the forums?

I could see a benefit there. Otherwise. .. I was buying cigs 10 years before legal as is... not like the world's changed that much.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk
Only a few states are 21 years of age, and we do not sell anything. It is the online vendors who need to proof for age vitrifaction

HondaDavidson

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Only a few states are 21 years of age, and we do not sell anything. It is the online vendors who need to proof for age vitrifaction

I know if I could buy beer at 16..... Using ID, in 1980. How does a web site verify age? In 2017?

SMOKIE

THE MODFATHER
Staff member
VU Senior Leadership
VU Senior Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
VU Live Leadership
Show Host
Reviewer
Vape Media
VU Live Host
Member For 5 Years
I know if I could buy beer at 16..... Using ID, in 1980. How does a web site verify age? In 2017?
If you sell electronic cigarettes a lot of vendors want a copy of your Govt ID to match the CC these days.

VU Sponsors