Become a Patron!

Nano Dragon Coils

Big Jake

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Anyone ever have luck with these? I tried it in my Nimbus 4 hole and it is absolutely crappy.

although it also Ohmed out at 1.8 with 2 14 wrap 32 gauge coils wrapped on a 18 gauge wire.

Yes I followed the vid and went under/ over and around with my wick sealing the lower end of it and carefully cleared the inside/upper end of each coil.

The vid did say's to use a 20 gauge to wrap the coil. Would this make that much of a difference..

chris damron

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I use 28g, 12 wraps, wrapped around a 20g needle. Just make sure that your wick isn't too thick or packed in too tightly. I personally think this is just sort of a novelty coil because the performance isn't anything that a standard nano can't give you. I don't even really like nanos period.

BUDKISS

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Unlisted Vendor
I think airflow is maybe even more important that the style of the coil IMO.
Without airflow and proper wicking/juice control you are limited on the amount of vapor you can produce.

I have done a dual dragon coil w 28 kanthal and cotton on my patriot rda. It came to .4 ohms
At 50 watts it was so much cloud and so hot i could hardly handle it. (of course i had 50/50 juice w 18 nic in there.)

Big Jake

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Yeah I think the nimbus doesnt have the airflow needed, unless I drill it out. I might try again with 28g kanthal and this time on 20gauge needle. We will see when I feel ambitious again. thanks for the reply's

VaporOwl

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
WTF is the difference between a nano and a dragon nano? I thought dragon was just a non-metric name for nano coils.

Also I like the way wicking works with nano coils, it makes it a breeze to rewick and the capillary action of a cloud of cotton vs a twisted strand is pleasing to me. Just my experiences. Mine tend to come out around .4 or .3 and I use the needle spout on my dripper bottles.

Definitely a hot vape, though most things around that resistance range are.

pdxvapes

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
As far as I'm aware, the term "Dragon" is in reference to the wicking method used for the coil, I've seen lots of folks run nano or super-nano coils with simply a bed of cotton underneath, but Dragon wicking is the best way to cover surface area on these lengthy little coils.
Dragon wicking is; A length of cotton under the coil running between the posts to the far side, the wick end on the far side comes around the outside of the negative post to cover the butt end of your coil, and the wick end on the coil side is flipped up-over the coil to rest between the posts. When all tucked in, only the mouth of your coils towards the center-post ought be showing, like this;
MV9R5eO.jpg

Sorry for the image quality, I had to google search this image for you because I don't have captures of my nanos (this is where the image was pulled from, a step-by-step with images tutorial). Similarly to what @chris damron said, it's too much work for very little gain. I'm one to take the simplest route and ride it as far as it goes, see it for all it has to offer. You don't need "Super-Nano-Dragon-Vertical-Parallels on a Negative Extension Ring" to have a satisfying or exciting vape. If you have a clean build, it's going to vape well, that's why the build you are most comfortable and competent building is going to be your best.

Rommel

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I had these working for a while, but nothing amazing happened. I used 24ga Kanthal, 10 wraps around 24ga kanthal. They were quite tiny so ramp up time didnt really exist. Hot vape, not too bad still. Great for rich flavors.
Just another coil. Meh.

Browncoat

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Vape Media
1174639-mariobump.jpg

Was going to start a thread on this, but saw it had been posted already. Just built the Nano Dragon coil tonight.
  • 26ga Kanthal
  • 14 wraps on a 1/16" post
  • dual coil
  • 0.51 Ω
Here's the tutorial I followed on RipTrippers:

This is an easy build to do since it's easier to keep smaller coils wrapped tight. Got to use my new KK Vapetek coil jig, and breezed through it. The key on this build is getting the wick just right. It's a bit of a pain to fiddle with, but worth it in the IMHO. This thing holds a ton of juice.

Using it on a Tugboat v2 and had to dial it back to just 1 open air hole. I like a hotter/more flavorful vape, and at 0.51 ohms, I just wasn't getting it running wide open on airflow. With one hole open and about a 3-4 second hit, this build produces good flavor and some very dense vapor. It's not a big volume of vapor, but thick. Next time, I might try this with fewer wraps to get the ohms into the 0.4-0.3 range for a bit more heat.

TL;DR: Easy build, good flavor, dense vapor.

VU Sponsors