Become a Patron!

NASA saying that we will discover aliens in the next 2 decades.

m3rma1d

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
“Just imagine the moment, when we find potential signatures of life. Imagine the moment when the world wakes up and the human race realizes that its long loneliness in time and space may be over — the possibility we’re no longer alone in the universe,”

4fda5447f3f58.gif

GargoyleK1

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
i always wondered what the purpose is of the christian philosophy that the earth is only 6,000 years old.....

I've never heard or noticed that… Interesting… I'd like to look into that just for my own sake as I have never ran across that. Perhaps it is because thats as long as there is a record of history? Just guessing.. Still gotta look into it to have any idea at all.

jae

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Once again… I'm not religious…

I just have a different take on it is all.. I really don;t see any facts, proof, or anything other than words on paper proving my ancestors were monkeys, fish, beetles, etc… I just don't see it.. Genetically speaking we could have "evolved" from bananas… I mean really.. I like to look at all possibilities is all.

Science or the best we can do with what we currently know just doesn't cut it all the time.
Then you have not done your diligence and read about it honestly.

kelli

Vapid Vapetress
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
gargoyle, i know your aren't religious, and i have no idea where you think life originated from.....but i still can't help but be amused that people cannot follow something as logical as evolution, but will buy that some giant man in the sky created the entire universe. just baffles me.

Reactions: jae

GargoyleK1

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Maybe its that the logic comes from people… Which history has proved time and again to be wrong. And who said anything about a giant? From what I have read he was normal sized.. LOL!

I'll be honest Kelli.. To me evolution is just some crack pot theory that has gained WAY to much attention because of religion. Peopl driving around with fish on their trunk lids, then people driving around with fish with legs on their trunk lids.. I mean really?? Why does it have to be one or the other? Why the division and the angry conversation about it?

What if… Now this is a if… But what if God is actually a "little green man" with far more knowledge and power than we could possibly comprehend? Just saying… What if… And what if we are like toys… Pets if you will… And when he gets sick of us we die.. Like the Dinosaurs… Just throwing it out there… I know is probably reads like a crazy person is typing. But I am just saying what if. I'm not saying L Ron Hubbard is right or anything like that. Just saying..

I would say I have spent a lot of time looking at all the angles. And from what I have seen I can see everyones point of view. I just don't see why its gotta be one or the other. Why can't Evolutionists and Christians and Muslims and everyone else just share their ideas in a constructive way and learn from each other. I see no reason to limit yourself to "one" way of thought.

Anyway… Im rambling.. Just thought I would throw it out there.

P.S. Also just to be totally truthful.. I do believe in God. Just not religion as it seems religion causes more issues than it solves. And science… Well me and science have a love hate relationship. I love it when its right… But I hate it when its theories.. LOL!!! But hey.. If evolution works for you thats great. Just please someone tell the Duck Billed Platypus his day is coming… Poor guy..

kelli

Vapid Vapetress
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
garg, you said one thing i really agree with. why do creationists and evolutionists have to be at such odds with each other? i mean, who's to say evolution wasn't part of God's grand plan? i know people who think even the dinosaurs are all made up fantasy. but for what end purpose is what i want to know. who could possibly benefit from that crap?

MEENMAN83

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
If you want to know why i am angry, it is because people like you distort facts, refuse to think logically, and worst of all, are a dangerous threat to the serious education of the next generation for as long as you continue to spout off your insipid ignorant lies about what we do and can know about the world around us - a world we have been observing and examining at great length for many centuries. Face it: everyone agrees on these things except for you and a tiny but unfortunately growing mob of religious lunatics.
The religious lunatics you speak actually carved out society as we see it now. If you have read several of these "lunatics" literary pieces you would realize they all are on point with the same ideas just different ways of practicing. And to tie it to aliens look at the ancient ruins. I have been to european, african, asian and south american ruins. I will say they knew how to build stuff that lasts and has far superior structural design then we have these days.....they all have murals mentioning "gods" coming down to help them.....pretty sure peyote wasnt around for the greeks or the romans...and no im not religious you can believe or do as you please we are all adults...I use that term lightly.....

jae

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I've never heard or noticed that… Interesting… I'd like to look into that just for my own sake as I have never ran across that. Perhaps it is because thats as long as there is a record of history? Just guessing.. Still gotta look into it to have any idea at all.
Oh you're more than happy to look into THAT, but couldn't possibly bother to pick up a book about evolution which doesn't start from a presupposition that it's somehow unlikely.

If you would care to try understanding why millions of people disagree with your absurdly contrarian stance on the fact of evolution, then check out Stephen Jay Gould, Jerry Coyne, Richard Dawkins, Daniel Dennett, Sean Carroll... these are all people who diligently studied the available material. Then, if you're still interested, go and take a biology course at your local community college. Who knows, it might lead to something profound.

And lest you think me terribly unkind, which i am and in no small portion, i have at least cared enough to do the work of linking to each of those brilliant authors' works for your internet safety.

AmandaD

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Once again… I'm not religious…

I just have a different take on it is all.. I really don;t see any facts, proof, or anything other than words on paper proving my ancestors were monkeys, fish, beetles, etc… I just don't see it.. Genetically speaking we could have "evolved" from bananas… I mean really.. I like to look at all possibilities is all.

Science or the best we can do with what we currently know just doesn't cut it all the time.

Well, you know then that we share 98+% of our DNA with the bonobo and the chimpanzee!

Reactions: jae

jae

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
The religious lunatics you speak actually carved out society as we see it now. If you have read several of these "lunatics" literary pieces you would realize they all are on point with the same ideas just different ways of practicing. And to tie it to aliens look at the ancient ruins. I have been to european, african, asian and south american ruins. I will say they knew how to build stuff that lasts and has far superior structural design then we have these days.....they all have murals mentioning "gods" coming down to help them.....pretty sure peyote wasnt around for the greeks or the romans...and no im not religious you can believe or do as you please we are all adults...I use that term lightly.....
  1. I have quite possibly read far more religious literature than the majority of people currently registered on this forum - certainly of a wider variety. But let's not forget that the bulk of classical religious literature was written by people barely out of the caves, who did not know the first thing about germs or sanitation, who thought that stars were distant campfires of remote sky-dwelling deities (please dear god don't even), and whose primitive minds were utterly shattered whenever they were shown a simple card trick.
  2. Those people built gigantic triangles. Humankind has known for thousands of years how structurally strong triangles are. Prepare thyself for shock!: we still know how immensely strong triangles are.
  3. Pretty sure psychoactive drugs have existed for as long as animals have tried eating unfamiliar things.

GargoyleK1

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Well, you know then that we share 98+% of our DNA with the bonobo and the chimpanzee!

Actually it's closer to 95% when done correctly. And yes I knew that. Still doesn't prove evolution. It's a nice theory and well founded. But still just a theory and as such shouldn't be presented as fact.

The 95% number was a study published in scientific American by the way. The most recent I am aware of.

Did you know that humans share 99.9% of their structure with each other? Amazing what .1% can change huh?

Sent from that squirrel, in that tree, watching you.

MEENMAN83

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
  1. I have quite possibly read far more religious literature than the majority of people currently registered on this forum - certainly of a wider variety. But let's not forget that the bulk of classical religious literature was written by people barely out of the caves, who did not know the first thing about germs or sanitation, who thought that stars were distant campfires of remote sky-dwelling deities (please dear god don't even), and whose primitive minds were utterly shattered whenever they were shown a simple card trick.
  2. Those people built gigantic triangles. Humankind has known for thousands of years how structurally strong triangles are. Prepare thyself for shock!: we still know how immensely strong triangles are.
  3. Pretty sure psychoactive drugs have existed for as long as animals have tried eating unfamiliar things.

We are still amazed by card tricks and you picked egyptians you forgot mayans aztecs greeks romans ming dynasties and you missed my main point, they all mention people flying from space giving them technology to help better their society strangely they all met their demise when they got overly power hungry which leads to believe maybe the aliens act as a balance in determining how much info/tech we get depending on how we use it.

jae

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
We are still amazed by card tricks and you picked egyptians you forgot mayans aztecs greeks romans ming dynasties and you missed my main point, they all mention people flying from space giving them technology to help better their society strangely they all met their demise when they got overly power hungry which leads to believe maybe the aliens act as a balance in determining how much info/tech we get depending on how we use it.
How did you get Egypt and not the others from what I said? I was in fact referring to all triangle - builders throughout history. Which is just about everyone. Even babies stack blocks like that.

Cave people see stars in the sky and birds flying around and the fires of neighboring tribes off in the distance and quite naturally figured there must be people who live in the sky and will probably eventually see us ground-walkers and visit someday. Since they live in the sky they must be very advanced. Perhaps they will save us. Let's draw them on walls to summon them magically... Etc etc etc.

There is absolutely no evidence that we have ever been visited by extraterrestrials. No matter how hard you might wish it to be true.

Fat-fingered on my Nexus 4

Thunderball

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
While this thread is most entertaining, the bottom line here is that we still dont know shit.

Scientifically, We dont know where we came from, nor who or what made us and all of space and the planets and suns. We may feel we know how they were formed, but what formed them in the first place ?.........and what I mean by that, take all of our collective intellect and learning and if all of that one day points to one center of the universe, one thing, one orb, one black hole, one structure, one thing........you still must ask the question......."but what the fuck made that" ?

Its mind blowing to us that we cannot comprehend how it all started. Whatever you think you can point to as the beginning, you have to say "well where did that come from". Can space be infinate ? If so, how is that possible? Does space stop at some point? If so, whats beyond that?, Who made it? what Made it? what was the begining? and how is that possible because who or what made the beginning ? I have had these thoughts since I was about 6 years old and I havent stopped wondering. You must even say this about God if your a beliver. In the Bible he told Moses "I am" Thats a pretty cool thought, and an even really intense thing to say, but you still have to ask, "yeah but what made you" ? I cant wrap my mind around this thought.

Its just a mind blowing concept and it will drive you crazy if you let it.

I think evolution is very probable, in fact I just down right believe in it. It makes extreamly good sense to me. At this point in my life and of everything Ive seen, read and watched, I just think that it is the natural order of things. I have no problem with it. I rather enjoy learning more about it. I eat up every program that comes on Discovery or Netflix. Not much of a heavy reader anymore, but love a good documentary and evolution is one of my favorite topics.

I also Believe in a higher power and I refer to that power as God. I know, thats pretty lame and out of style today to most of you, but I dont Moo with the rest of the cattle. I have a mind of my own and think for myself. Right or wrong its just the way I think and feel. I rest easy in my own mind believing in science, evolution and God. I dont think one takes away from the other. I really find them both to go hand in hand. Just my own thoughts and feelings. I wont debate it. Its a personal thing and a faith thing.

I may be wrong after I die and find out the creator was some sort of anomoly in space named Prissy and she really doesnt give a shit what I believe in or can even hear me and/or Im just dead.

If Im right, I paid for the right insurance policy here on earth and theres gonna be alot folks that are gonna be pretty fucked for eternity, and it didnt cost me much just to believe, so I will be in good shape there.

No debate from me. Not even looking for a comment. Just random thoughts from one of the millions of humans on this planet wondering "what am I going to do tomorrow ?"

PS... I have no doubt that there is intelligent life on multiple planets somewhere. How self centered and small would anyone be to think there are not. But you can also put me in the camp of folks on here that have never seen any and never seen any good proof that there has been any that visited here.

RynoSerious

Likes Turtles
Founding Vendor
VU Vendor
Member For 4 Years
Show Host
VU Live Host
I saw what happened to the dinosaurs this weekend when i watched " transformers:age of extinction". The robot people came down and turned them into tranfomia metal with the "seeds" it was plainly laid out in the movie, and i give it 100% credibility because optimus prime was my hero growing up..

DeadShort

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
We need to transport the staue of liberty to our outerspace.. all aliens need to check in there. jeez, that's all we need, more illegals moving here..
That first space bug gets loose here, and there goes not one, but all the crops on this earth..

GargoyleK1

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
@DeadShort Most of our banner crops are so genetically engineered they will probably end up killing us anyway.. I mean growing a vegetable with pesticide genetically programmed into it?? Sounds like evolution to me!!! LOL!!!

So… If I am from a monkey.. Where did the monkey come from? Hmmm… I'll guess a Beaver… So I guess the beaver evolved from.. Eh a trout!! Yeah yeah… Then the trout must've come from pond scum… But now where did the pond come from? Eh I guess an asteroid.. But now where did the asteroid come from?? ALIENS!!! WOOT!!! :)

robtest

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Report: Majority Of UFO Abductions Committed By Alien That Person Knows
NEWS IN BRIEFScience & TechnologySpaceISSUE 50•28 • Jul 18, 2014

WASHINGTON—Challenging commonly held misperceptions, the U.S. Department of Justice published a report this week revealing that the vast majority of UFO abductions are perpetrated by aliens a person knows rather than extraterrestrials unfamiliar to victims. “The popular notion of UFO abductions is of a person being beamed up into the sky by strange, hostile beings from Sirius or Andromeda, but the reality is that most of these abductions are committed by an extraterrestrial acquaintance the victim trusts and feels comfortable around,” DOJ spokesman Devin Shane said of the estimated 2,800 reported victims of UFO abduction last year, many of whom were taken against their will into an advanced spacecraft and subjected to psychological experiments and medical examinations by nonhuman entities they already knew through family or friends. “While it’s true that a significant number of abductions are still carried out by extrasolar reptilian beings with planetary invasion-related motives, data shows that known relationships with extraterrestrials are by far the greater danger to civilians, with many aliens committing abduction for personal reasons, such as indulging their own cravings for power, control, or revenge, or siphoning human energy from host bodies in order to replicate.” Officials noted, with a degree of optimism, that evidence now shows only 10 percent of all UFO abductions result in aliens impregnating the victim with thousands of eggs.

souce: http://www.theonion.com/articles/report-majority-of-ufo-abductions-committed-by-ali,36499/ :cool:

VU Sponsors