NASA shows largest image ever of Andromeda Galaxy

Midniteoyl

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
NASA released the largest picture ever taken earlier this month, with a staggering 1.5 billion pixels, of the Andromeda Galaxy.

To get an idea of how massive the picture is, you'll need a 600 HD television screens to look at the whole image.

On Jan. 5, NASA released the image of our closest galactic neighbor.

This YouTube fly-through video shows the detail of the picture captured by NASA's Hubble Space Telescope. To date, the video has over 2.9 million page views.

The full image takes you through 100 million stars and travels more than 40,000 light-years. Each of those white dots is a sun, much like the sun that powers all life on Earth.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/2015/01/20/nasa-largest-picture-andromeda-galaxy/22052513/

BigNasty

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I see a crap ton of solar systems with more galaxies peeking through.

Midniteoyl

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I didnt see anyone waving... :rolleyes:

wally

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
W26 is about 1,500 times wider than the sun, making it the biggest known star in the universe. The red supergiant star is nearing the end of its life and will eventually explode as a supernova, researchers said.

M5amhan

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
W26 is about 1,500 times wider than the sun, making it the biggest known star in the universe. The red supergiant star is nearing the end of its life and will eventually explode as a supernova, researchers said.
watching videos of that stuff happening is just mind blowing, so much energy out there

BigNasty

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
And by the time we see it, it has been long gone for BILLIONS of years.

BoomStick

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
All that stuff out there, we're fighting over minuscule amounts of resources and energy, and our brilliant leaders decided to shut down NASA's manned space program. And we wonder why E.T. hasn't phoned us yet. Maybe they're waiting for us to pull our heads out of ouranus. (See what I did there?) :D

zaroba

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I find it funny that people think we are alone in the galaxy.

Billions of other galaxies out there. Each galaxy with billions of stars. Each star potentially having planets orbiting around it and each of those planets could have moons. The entire universe is too huge to measure or even comprehend the number of bodies in it. It would be silly to think that this is the only planet in the whole universe with life.

Petyr

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Even according to the biggest skeptics there are between 1.5 and 5 million planets that look like Earth. And this is only in our galaxy. We are small, but our ambitions are big. I just hope that one day humans will walk under different skies.

VU Sponsors