Become a Patron!

Nautilus Chimney is Chrome Plated Brass.

Fattlestar

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Aspire support confirmed that the Nautilus chimney post is made of chrome plated brass. Someone sanded it down and posted a pic on the support forum and received a reply about it from the support team.

Is this a problem? Should I be pitching it in the garbage? And does anyone know if the Mini is the same? Brass may contain toxic amounts of lead, etc, lots of problems with it discussed.

None of this was in the packaging details or manual or listed anywhere on their websites.

Thread link for the aspire support response:
http://support.aspirecig.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=601

fullmetaljacket.jpg

Nancy_Bout

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Wow okay read the story apparently aspire don't think it's a problem BUT I have a hard time swallowing I thought I was using stainless I'm not happy I been using this for 6 mos easy daily

Fattlestar

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Me too. The Nautilus is so widely praised as being one of the best stainless steel tanks, but - it's not all stainless. I only bought mine a week or two ago. Brass has been in the vaping discussion for a long time though and the potential problems it can cause. I'm pretty disappointed right now. My original purchases would have been Kanger stainless products if I'd known there was brass in the Aspires.

ApeMustNotKillVape

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
F'ing Chinese ripoff artists. Dollar #1, your health #0. Likey your lead vape.

Second sentence on the box - Made of stainless steel in and Pyrex glass."
Aspire just lost my business forever. Lying POS.

Fattlestar

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I'm not exactly surprised by it, I don't fully trust anything that comes from China. What does surprise me is how long it took for anyone to find this. Now there's a chance I've been vaping lead contaminated brass and fiberglass wicking material in the coils at the same time.

There is the chance that none of this will have any health impact. But that's 100$ for two tanks and a boatload of coils down the tube as far as peace of mind if I end up ditching aspire products.

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
You probably have brass and/or copper in your pipes and if you live in a city, you get worse stuff just from breathing. ;)

I think the real issue is the lack of disclosure and badly worded product details.

These are pretty much throwaway atties, so I wouldn't expect them to be solid stainless steel. Only RBAs have that, and not always even then.

That is just how China builds things for us. Americans want cheap goods, they give us cheap goods. ;)

Fattlestar

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I'm aware of brass and copper pipes. The difference being vaporized & inhaled vs. ingested. Lack of disclosure has left me a little frustrated, though.

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I'm aware of brass and copper pipes. The difference being vaporized & inhaled vs. ingested. Lack of disclosure has left me a little frustrated, though.

Understandable. If some stated it was SS and it turned out plated brass, I'd be unhappy.

But, there are zillion posts on FT about the same things, which amounts to: until we catch them, they will continue to go cheap.

That is why things have gotten better in the clone world over the last year; we've been hammering China hard with QC, materials and design flaws. ;-)

I'll leave ya with my old sig from NV, back in the Dark Ages of co-ops and early clones: "Made from copper material with the surface treatment of electroplating chroms."

:D

ApeMustNotKillVape

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I am sure Kanger has a skeleton in the closet or they would have ratted this out a while ago.
But if you don't have a problem with plated brass, Kanger offers the Genitank for half the price of a "stainless steel" Nautilus.

Fattlestar

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I'm pretty sure the Genitank is touted as chrome plated copper, not brass, if that helps.

ButtKickers

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
As long as the chrome plating isn't wearing, or chipping off; I wouldn't worry about it.

Just pulled my HEAVILY used Nautilus apart to check, and it don't see brass showing anywhere. Once I do, I'll toss it

VU Sponsors