Nautilus Questions

slayer420-x

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Hey guys, i'm new to the forum. Also new to vaping, got my mvp 2 with aspire nautilus tank few weeks ago. Also somthing i thought was interesting is my nautilus came with bvc, had bvc sticker on top. Must be a new thing as i thought only mini's include bvc. So i have a few questions . First thing is my nautilus hits very very harsh in the morrning or if i dont use it for even a hour or so, which is very irritating, im guessing it's doing this because theres not enought juice in coil? I have to take several puffs without inhaling, eventually it gets alright. Is this normal? Also whenever i fill my tank or change coil, taking base with coil off, theres ALWAYS juice sitting in where coil screws, quite a bit, i have to stick paper towel in, then blow through drip tip, more comes up there and keep soaking it up with paper towel, its hard to get it out of the ridge that dips down there though, why is there always juice sitting there , also on base after i take coil out theres some around the threads , is that normal or am i not doing it tight enough. Ive read to just do finger tight, is that including top base and coil? Do i just go untill it staarts getting bit of resistance or do i screw as tight till it stops. And whats better 1.6 or 1.8 coil's? I just got a pack of 1.6. But seems like its not giving as much vapor as the 1.8 did.

FM696269

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Welcome to the forums. I've always tightened mine as tight as I can with my finger n thumb without going too extreme! Get everything really tight though and that should solve your small leak issues.

As for the coils I've only used 1.8's, have you tried messing with watts n volts slightly to compensate for the lower ohm coil?

Harsh hit in the morning, do you mean slightly burnt hit or just its strong throat hit? What mg nicotine you using?

OB61887

Am I saying meow?
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
From everyone I know, morning hits are always harsh. It is you and not the juice. With that said, it sounds like your coil is flooding. I never had this issue with the bvc coils. The first thing I would do is make sure they are screwed all the way to the base and chimney. Screw it into the base until it stops. You shouldn't have to apply a lot of pressure, just hand tight. Then screw the base on and make sure the coil doesn't go in crooked to the chimney. If you look at the base next to the stopper and spin it, you will notice a gap on one side if it is in crooked. It is a very small gap. I found it easiest to see when holding it with my monitor behind it.

If it is in tight and flush and you still get flooding/gurgling, you can try a thicker juice. However the bvc coils don't wick that will with thick juice. I would try a 60/40 mix but not much higher or you risk dry hits.

Oh yea, and welcome.

slayer420-x

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Im using a 70 pg 30 vg , 18 mg . Gold seal e juice. Its all my vape shop offers, although gold seal is supposedly releasing a 50/50. Which id like more i think since is produces more vapor. Im going to go down to 12 nic, i was only smoking a half pack a day, if that. And gold seal says 18 is for full pack a day, 12 is half pack. Maybe that will help with the insane harshness in morning right? Its not due to wick bein bit dry from sitting? After i take few pass through puffs its good, but ive found it can be tad harsh if i dont vape it for while. The juice i use is super thin. And ill try screwing the base and coil on tighter, just not the top to tight though right ? I started with a mini but returned it because i was getting a nasty metallic taste, not burnt though. And i seen somwhere that can be from screwing to tight

slayer420-x

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
And whats better 1.6 or 1.8 ohm bvc? Is the diffrence that 1.8 have extra wrap of coil or somthing ? I know 1.8 can handle more volts, up to 6 where 1.6 say 3-5. I never go to 5 though. I usually like around 4 somtimes 4.2. Would a 1.8 coil produce a little more vapor than a 1.6 at that voltage ?

OB61887

Am I saying meow?
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
The 1.6/1.8 is the resistance and just determines the wattage based on the volts you put out. With variable wattage, doesn't matter much. With voltage, just use an ohms law calculator to determine the wattage which is how much power you are getting. Honestly though, I don't think it makes much of a difference with the BVC. I've never heard of a clearomizer coil going dry overnight. The wick won't release the juice, and if it is in the tank the juice should last a long time. As long as it doesn't go empty you shouldn't get dry hits. However gurgling is a sign that the coil got flooded.

For me, I avoid vaping when I wake up since it will be harsh. Even my 80/20 3mg is harshish first thing in the morning. It has to do with waking up and not with the build.

For how tight you screw things on, hand tight should be fine with everything. One thing to keep in mind with the coil though is it can get tough to take off. I had to use pliers when it went in crooked. Still, a 50/50 juice will be less throat hit, and less nic will make a larger difference. It's fine asking for advice but once you have tried it you should be able to drop nic levels as needed until you reach 0. 70 pg is thinner than I have used. I imagine a 50/50 will help lots with the leaking.

Guven Eryavuz

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
If you linger around 4-4,5 volts, the two coils would not differ too much.
I found my sweet spot at 4,7-5,0 volts range with bvc coils on nautilus.
Thats subjective of course

slayer420-x

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Thanks guys. I may actually keep my voltage higher because i can turn it up to 5 with no burnt taste at all. Turning it up should produce more vapor correct? The more the better for me, i have my air flow wide open and wish it could go bigger lol. I already used the 1.8 it came with but i think it gave tad thicker vapor, maybe not though.

OB61887

Am I saying meow?
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
If you want more vapor, I highly recommend the atlantis. It is the best I can get before building coils. If you up for building, dripping is the way to go but if not, the atlantis has more airflow on the smallest setting and is far more vapor. The only thing to keep in mind is that it is a .56 ohm build. The MVP2 should not be used with it. I would get a DNA30 clone or better for the atlantis. I highly recommend the sigelei 100w if you want something that is somewhat future proof but vaping is changing so fast that concept doesn't really exist for regulated mods. Still, you wont need something past a DNA30 until you start building coils.

Cruel-Phate

Just Thomas
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
1.8mm (biggest air hole) 1.6 coils at 4.8v / 14w seems to work best for me for most juices...most my juices are may VG

DWDawg

Member For 4 Years
On my mvp2 with nautilus bvd 1,8 coils I just switch to the watts setting and go to the max witch is 11 watts. It''ll read the coil ohm and adjust volts accordingly. Works for me.

Browncoat

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Vape Media
I just bought a couple Nautilus minis, and they are fantastic! I'm producing about double the vapor I was getting from the kit iClear tank. I'm using the 2nd biggest vent hole and have my MVP set @ 9w.

The tanks are finicky. Filling them takes a bit more finesse and then they need to be primed and let sit for a few minutes (at least that's my experience) before vaping. You can't overtighten them, either. I often have to back mine off a bit, or it won't work at all.

zaroba

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
The nicotine content that you need depends on what you smoked and on how often you vape just as much as how much you smoked.
Half a pack a day of lights wont be the same as half a pack a day of full flavor 100s.
Plus, with cigs, it is easy to know how much your getting. You know you can smoke x cigs per x hours before feeling like you had a nicotine overdose. But with vaping, there is no way of accurately monitoring this as it largely depends on how often you vape, how much you inhale and how much vapor is produced when you vape (which varies based on the wattage and the atomizer used or the rebuildable coil). I went from half a pack of newports a day to using 6mg nicotine liquid with BDCs @ 4 watts and it wasn't enough nicotine. But it almost feels like I'm getting too much nicotine at times with BVCs @ 10 watts simply due to the increased vapor production.

Juice *under* the atomizer generally means flooding. This can be caused by several things, including how hard your sucking on the tip. If your not getting enough air flow, you could try turning your nautilus to a higher airflow setting if it isn't already at the largest hole (scrolling up, I see you already are though, I was thinking of taking a metal drill and making the hole bigger on my tanks). But, it can also be the result of temperature changes. At work, I vape outside on my breaks and lunch. It's cold outside, after being out there for half an hour then bringing it inside to put in my locker, it warms up, the air inside expands, and some juice gets pushed out and minor gurgling will happen when I vape later.

I've never had juice get in the threads of my nautilus atomizers, but I would have to guess thats a result of the coils not being tight enough. While the coils are supposed to be 'finger tight' this is a hugely inaccurate amount of tightness as everybody will have different levels of hand strength. Just like when one person can open a jar that somebody else can't, a tight coil for one person might not be tight for somebody else.

As for juice being in the little grove between the atomizer and the base when unscrewing it, that is somewhat normal, it's where the juice goes to flow into the atomizer head (if I'm understanding what your talking about). It's a tiny area and surface tension will help keep it in there. I leave my tanks sitting upside down when not in use (to avoid temp change flooding mentioned above) and for a few hours before unscrewing them so the fluid has plenty of time to drain from the base. Really helps out a lot. I normally vape until the tanks are nearly dry (almost none visible in the grove at the bottom), but if I want to open one that isn't empty without letting it sit for a while, I hold the tank at a 45 degree angle when unscrewing the base and unscrew it slowly so the fluid can run down from the grove. Unscrew it half way, then screw it back in again, then unscrew it all the way. Seems to prevent any issues of juice getting lost.

More PG = thinner juice. I can't really comment specifically on that though since I've always used high VG juice in my tanks, normally 80% or higher and rarely have dry hit issues after priming.

The nautilus tanks can be finicky at times. But they can also be excellent tanks once you get used to them. Just like getting used to how a new car handles so you can make it perform great. I have 3 nautilus tanks that I rotate daily and vape around 3-5ml of 6mg juice daily. After over 2 months of use I've only had 2 BDCs and 1 BVC coil go bad and I think the BVC and 1 BDC were my fault.

Last edited:

VU Sponsors