Become a Patron!

Need a starting tube kit

pulsevape

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Basically giving a Mech to a new user that isn't an experienced builder, experienced with Ohms law or knowledgeable with proper batteries is just like giving someone with a learners permit the keys to a Ferrari Enzo.

Bad things usually happens.
A helluva alot of vapers learned all those things using a mech mod....and they didn't blow themselves up...reality just doesn't bear out your assertions.

Mike H.

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
The wheels on the bus go round and round..round and round..round and round.:bliss:

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
A helluva alot of vapers learned all those things using a mech mod....and they didn't blow themselves up...reality just doesn't bear out your assertions.
Back when mech mods were all there was except of cigalikes and Ego's. It was different.
I think very few aimed for as low as .1.
Heck I used to run a carto tank on a mech.

pulsevape

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Back when mech mods were all there was except of cigalikes and Ego's. It was different.
I think very few aimed for as low as .1.
Heck I used to run a carto tank on a mech.
no they didn't aim for .1,,,,,,are we telling new vapers that you can't enjoy vaping unless your vaping at .1...the juice vendors love blowing big clouds they sell a ton more juice....as I've said repeatedly that new people using mechs need to know that the lower they build, the more they are pushing the envelope, and the more they need to educate yourself....why someone who is trying to get off cigarettes needs to be vaping .1 is beyond me, it is nothing like their experince smoking tobacco..and it does not deliver nicotine to you any faster than vaping higher ohms with higher nic levels....the average smoker getting of cigs would find 1 ohms more similar to their smoking experince than .1

Last edited:

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
no they didn't aim for .1,,,,,,are we telling new vapers that you can't enjoy vaping unless your vaping at .1...the juice vendors love blowing big clouds they sell a ton more juice....as I've said repeatedly that new people using mechs need to know that the lower they build, the more they are pushing the envelope, and the more they need to educate yourself....why someone who is trying to get off cigarettes needs to be vaping .1 is beyond me, it is nothing like their experince smoking tobacco..and it does not deliver nicotine to you any faster than vaping higher ohms with higher nic levels....the average smoker getting of cigs would find 1 ohms more similar to their smoking experince than .1

I too find it amazing how many are starting out vaping with TFV8/Alien kits and such.

imho if you want to start with a mech get one with protections first.
I think you can still get the aspire CF mod. I have a couple of those I picked up for $10 each.
Work fine and you are not likely to have a mishap with one.
Once you get familiar with building and ohms law get a real tube mech with a 510 center pin and give it a go.
The SMPL/hybrid style should be for a well experienced user only.
Just my opinion though.

r055co

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
IMO the super sub ohm ... I just don't get it. But everyone's likes and needs are different so I'm not one to judge. That is unless they do something idiotic like getting a Mech without doing their homework thinking "Clouds Bro".

I'm perfectly happy Vaping on around 1 Ohm with my Toodie Puffers, around 0.6 Ohm with my series and around 0.2 for my parallel addy's.

Another issue are those Vendor's pushing Mech's without giving at least the basic run down of what they must know before getting one.

pulsevape

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I too find it amazing how many are starting out vaping with TFV8/Alien kits and such.

imho if you want to start with a mech get one with protections first.
I think you can still get the aspire CF mod. I have a couple of those I picked up for $10 each.
Work fine and you are not likely to have a mishap with one.
Once you get familiar with building and ohms law get a real tube mech with a 510 center pin and give it a go.
The SMPL/hybrid style should be for a well experienced user only.
Just my opinion though.
personally I really think the SMPL is a dicey desgin...with a regular hybrid mod you can set the threaded hybrid connector onto your atty...this allows you to see exactlly how far down your atty pin is extending ..with the SMPL it seems you have to guess...maybe I'm wrong but it just makes me nervous.

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
personally I really think the SMPL is a dicey desgin...with a regular hybrid mod you can set the threaded hybrid connector onto your atty...this allows you to see exactlly how far down your atty pin is extending ..with the SMPL it seems you have to guess...maybe I'm wrong but it just makes me nervous.

yep genuine hybrids are lots safer. Only problem I have with them is checking the resistance of your coils.
Genuine for me is one with a dedicated atty.
The ones with the screw in discs are still pretty much the same to me as a SMPL style.
Mebbe a bit better though. Some of the screw in disc types also come with a centerpin 510 topcap.

pulsevape

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
IMO the super sub ohm ... I just don't get it. But everyone's likes and needs are different so I'm not one to judge. That is unless they do something idiotic like getting a Mech without doing their homework thinking "Clouds Bro".

I'm perfectly happy Vaping on around 1 Ohm with my Toodie Puffers, around 0.6 Ohm with my series and around 0.2 for my parallel addy's.

Another issue are those Vendor's pushing Mech's without giving at least the basic run down of what they must know before getting one.
does home depot give you instructions or a basic rundown before they sell you a chainsaw? Why do we expect more from vapers.......why, because the FDA is looking for any excuse to shut down vaping, and blaming the technology rather than the idiot using it is their goal....do they say chainsaws need to be outlawed when someone tries juggeling with them....fine I understand that,but among ourselves we should not be telling people they are pipe bombs when we know they aren't.

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
does home depot give you instructions or a basic rundown before they sell you a chainsaw? Why do we expect more from vapers.......why, because the FDA is looking for any excuse to shut down vaping, and blaming the technology rather than the idiot using it is their goal....do they say chainsaws need to be outlawed when someone tries juggeling with them....fine I understand that,but among ourselves we should not be telling people they are pipe bombs when we know they aren't.
You have a point however all chainsaws, etc in the USA come with decent manuals and lots of notes on safe operation.
also all chainsaws sold have to have anti-kickback chain brakes and such.
The vaping industry not so much on safety documents or devices for mechs.

I predict that if the FDA does not pretty much kill vaping that vaping hardware will fall under the CPSC within 2 years.
Esp mechs and batteries.
I have no problem at all with requiring batteries to have accurate specifications on them.
If they are not accurately marked then they should not be sold.

r055co

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
No but they have a users manual with safety warnings.

r055co

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
You have a point however all chainsaws, etc in the USA come with decent manuals and lots of notes on safe operation.
also all chainsaws sold have to have anti-kickback chain brakes and such.
The vaping industry not so much on safety documents or devices for mechs.
Yep, kinda like having no requirements for driving an over the road freight truck. Oh yeah, anyone one can do it ......

There's a balance that needs to be done, not one extreme or the other. Basic information and warnings is a good thing

pulsevape

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
No but they have a users manual with safety warnings.
so does using a mech....if you are going to bother reading an instuction manual for a chainsaw surely you can bother going on youtube.... only about a half a billion youtube videos on how to use a mech mod....honestly how many people do you think read their instuction manuals.

Last edited:

pulsevape

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Yep, kinda like having no requirements for driving an over the road freight truck. Oh yeah, anyone one can do it ......

There's a balance that needs to be done, not one extreme or the other. Basic information and warnings is a good thing
you keep ignoring the fact or side stepping it....that an entire generation of vapers learned how to vape on mech mods...that sub-ohming itself started on mech mods...that we even built competition mods for the express purpose of low sub ohming...they weren't built for tootlepuffers... that cloud chasing started on mech mods.....and nobody blew themselves up...comparing them to frieght trucks is beyond fearmongering it's nonsense.

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
You know what? There are actually people out there who do not Utube.

I am a career technodweeb and I only do boards like this and watch stuff on youtube.
No tweets, facebook, etc.

And I was on the "internet" before it existed as the internet.

r055co

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
you keep ignoring the fact or side stepping it....that an entire generation of vapers learned how to vape on mech mods...that sub-ohming itself started on mech mods.. that cloud chasing started on mech mods.....and nobody blew themselves up...comparing them to frieght trucks is beyond fearmongering it's nonsense.

No I'm not, I addressed it but you just don't want to acknowledge it.

Yes we do need 'some' reasonable regulations on vaping hardware and juice manufacture.
But with unreasonable people.....
Yep, problem is the extreme on both ends.

pulsevape

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
No I'm not, I addressed it but you just don't want to acknowledge it.

Yep, problem is the extreme on both ends.
no you have not offered a sensible explanation how it is countless number of sub ohmers learned on a mech without blowing themselves up...,but suddenly now it's playing with a pipe bomb.....the only thing that has changed is the vaping community...it used to be older guys trying to kick a smoking addiction that was killing them....now it's being flooded with overgrown boys who think it's a pissing contest.

Last edited:

pulsevape

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
You know what? There are actually people out there who do not Utube.

I am a career technodweeb and I only do boards like this and watch stuff on youtube.
No tweets, facebook, etc.

And I was on the "internet" before it existed as the internet.
come on...we all learned how to build off youtube...it's our sole single largest information wharehouse we go there to learn about mods and tanks and atty's and how to build and DIY juice and everything.....

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
no you have not offered a sensible explanation how it is countless number of sub ohmers learned on a mech without blowing themselves up...,but suddenly now it's playing with a pipe bomb.
I have only been vaping a bit over 2 years. However I recall the introduction of sub ohm tanks... Most of the blow yerself up events involve tanks on hybrid style mods.

Almost all of the long time vapers like Grimm Green, etc have their venting and meltdown stories.
Just did not make the news.

pulsevape

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Yes I did here -
again must I point out that cloud chasing started on mech mods, cloud competitons were started with mech mods....I even own a competition copper tube mod....and I'm not even a cloud chaser.

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Also most of the old time US vapers started out on cartos, egos, carto tanks, etc and worked up learning as they went.
The first mechs cost well over $100. Today we have people wanting to run .06 on a SMPL mod as a beginner.
Entirely different groups of people with entirely different expected results.

r055co

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I have only been vaping a bit over 2 years. However I recall the introduction of sub ohm tanks... Most of the blow yerself up events involve tanks on hybrid style mods.

Almost all of the long time vapers like Grimm Green, etc have their venting and meltdown stories.
Just did not make the news.
Yep along with loose batteries in pockets, basic instructions and warnings would avoid a lot. But there will always be the idiots who bother to adhere to the basic's and those Darwin applies.

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
again must I point out that cloud chasing started on mech mods, cloud competitons were started with mech mods....I even own a competition copper tube mod....and I'm not even a cloud chaser.
I have 2 brass comp mech mods. However they do have 510 center pins. But no switch lock so not pocket safe.

r055co

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Again must I point out that Vaping wasn't even a fraction of what it is today?

pulsevape

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Also most of the old time US vapers started out on cartos, egos, carto tanks, etc and worked up learning as they went.
The first mechs cost well over $100. Today we have people wanting to run .06 on a SMPL mod as a beginner.
Entirely different groups of people with entirely different expected results.
Yes...so the problem isn't the mods...the problem isn't tube mods are dangerous the problem is the idiots using them...my first tube mod cost less than 50.00..

r055co

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Yes...so the problem isn't the mods...the problem isn't tube mods are dangerous the problem is the idiots using them...my first tube mod cost less than 50.00..
Yep ,this is true. But you also put some responsibility on the idiots in the Vape Shops pushing Mech's with little to no basic information or safety information.

pulsevape

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Again must I point out that Vaping wasn't even a fraction of what it is today?
weak.... extremly weak arguement.....there were plenty enough vapers around sub-ohming to prove your point if you had one.

r055co

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
weak.... extremly weak arguement.....there were plenty enough vapers around sub-ohming to prove your point if you had one.
Weak, then I guess all those tubes blowing up in the news are fake.

pulsevape

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Yep ,this is true. But you also put some responsibility on the idiots in the Vape Shops pushing Mech's with little to no basic information or safety information.
I haven't been in a vape shop in years where they are pushing mech mods..on the contrary they are all pushing regulated devices the mech are collecting dust.half the people working in vape shops never owned a mech mod. they are all pushing regulated box mods and sub ohm tanks.they don't want you building your own coils they want you coming back to buy your coils from them.

r055co

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I haven't been in a vape shop in years where they are pushing mech mods..on the contrary they are all pushing regulated devices the mech are collecting dust.half the people working in vape shops never owned a mech mod. they are all pushing regulated box mods and sub ohm tanks.they don't want you building your own coils they want you coming back to buy your coils from them.
Well that's you, when I first started Vaping I went into a chain store and they were pushing Mech's on me.

So question, why do you have such a hardon against having basic instructions and safety information included in with Mech's? We're not talking about restrictions here we're talking about just including basic information.

pulsevape

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Weak, then I guess all those tubes blowing up in the news are fake.
when you look at the number of vapers compared to the number of morons blowing themselves up the number is so low as to not even register as a statistic it is merely the lurid fodder of yellow journalisim...like the two headed sheep and the wolf boy...it sells papers but it is in no way a reflection of reality.it is nothing more than a corporate media digging to find the barest excuse it can to prop up big tobacco.

r055co

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
when you look at the number of vapers compared to the number of morons blowing themselves up the number is so low as to not even register as a statistic it is merely the lurid fodder of yellow journalisim...like the two headed sheep and the wolf boy...it sells papers but it is in no way a reflection of reality.it is nothing more than a corporate media digging to find the barest excuse it can to prop up big tobacco.
So what's wrong with having basic usage and safety information?

pulsevape

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Well that's you, when I first started Vaping I went into a chain store and they were pushing Mech's on me.

So question, why do you have such a hardon against having basic instructions and safety information included in with Mech's? We're not talking about restrictions here we're talking about just including basic information.
knock yourself out...we can also include instructions on sisccors and matches and butter knives I could care less...what I object to is slandering mech mods as dangerous....I also refuse to sanction the nonsense that this goverment is in anyway interested in the saftey and well being of the people, and that giving them power over free people will result in a better life for anyone..

pulsevape

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years

when I walk into a vape store now carrying a genisis atomizer none of them know what the fuck it is....all they know is box mods and how to replace the coil heads.

r055co

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
knock yourself out...we can also include instructions on sisccors and matches and butter knives I could care less...what I object to is slandering mech mods as dangerous....I also refuse to sanction the nonsense that this goverment is in anyway interested in the saftey and well being of the people, and that giving them power over free people will result in a better life for anyone..
Scissors, match's and knives have been around for centuries, Vaping is new. Go throw on scuba gear and do deep diving without any basic safety and see what happens.

Mech's being slandered I agree, all I've seen so far has been from those who have no clue about them. If there was standard basic safety information we would have something substantial to throw back in the media's face. Kinda hard when a lot of the Mech's and batteries come with zero information.

IMO I feel safer on Mech's than regulated devices, but then again I had enough sense to do my homework. But like when I first started vaping I knew nothing about Ohms Law or battery safety. Hell I used to carry around Duricell's in my pockets like most everyone else without a worry, why wouldn't it of been the same with 18650's unless I was told? Tubes looked like a flashlight and why wouldn't someone think that popping a Nautilus on a direct to battery connection wasn't OK unless they where told?

r055co

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
when I walk into a vape store now carrying a genisis atomizer none of them know what the fuck it is....all they know is box mods and how to replace the coil heads.
Generally yes, but there are others Vape Shops out there ya know.

Like how about that Tube blowing up in that Mall Kiosk in NYC where the clueless idiot running the Kiosk was selling the tube to the Minor.

pulsevape

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Scissors, match's and knives have been around for centuries, Vaping is new. Go throw on scuba gear and do deep diving without any basic safety and see what happens.

Mech's being slandered I agree, all I've seen so far has been from those who have no clue about them. If there was standard basic safety information we would have something substantial to throw back in the media's face. Kinda hard when a lot of the Mech's and batteries come with zero information.

IMO I feel safer on Mech's than regulated devices, but then again I had enough sense to do my homework. But like when I first started vaping I knew nothing about Ohms Law or battery safety. Hell I used to carry around Duricell's in my pockets like most everyone else without a worry. Tubes looked like a flashlight and why wouldn't someone think that popping a Nautilus on a direct to battery connection wasn't OK unless they where told?
in some ways I'm glad they don't include instrustions with them ...it force people to go youtube and actually watch how it is done....maybe they should just print out a card with recommended youtube videos to watch. We have an entire video library at people's disposal...I can't even begin to list the volumes of information available at your fingertips to answer any question you could concive of about any device ever made in the vaping world...we have vaping boards all over the world where you are able to ask literally tens oif thousands of experinced vapers any question you want.There is not a hobby on this planet right now that is as organized, as passionate,as informed as the vaping community..if you don't know something it's your own damn fault.
I have never ever bought an atty, or a mod,that I didn't watch a couple of dozen videos about, or every available video about...before I even bought them I had seen them all broken down to pieces and rebuilt, I knew their strengths and their weaknesses, I knew the going price, I knew the modder, and after that I would go on the forums and ask people who owned them their opinions.....if you want information about how to use a device it's all here for the asking.

pulsevape

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Generally yes, but there are others Vape Shops out there ya know.

Like how about that Tube blowing up in that Mall Kiosk in NYC where the clueless idiot running the Kiosk was selling the tube to the Minor.
that was just plain simple greedy bastard looking to make a quick buck, and people like that sell used cars and life insurance and new roofs to people., and run the FDA....and as I recall that kid grabbed that mod without asking and the guy didn't know he had it....I don't like limiting the freedoms of people on the grounds it protects the stupidiest or the most corrupt among us. I believe natural selection play a vital role in keeping the race healthy.

r055co

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
in some ways I'm glad they don't include instrustions with them ...it force people to go youtube and actually watch how it is done....maybe they should just print out a card with recommended youtube videos to watch. We have an entire video library at people's disposal...I can't even begin to list the volumes of information available at your fingertips to answer any question you could concive of about any device ever made in the vaping world...we have vaping boards all over the world where you are able to ask literally tens oif thousands of experinced vapers any question you want.There is not a hobby on this planet right now that is as organized, as passionate,as informed as the vaping community..if you don't know something it's your own damn fault.
I have never ever bought an atty, or a mod,that I didn't watch a couple of dozen videos about, or every available video about...before I even bought them I had seen them all broken down to pieces and rebuilt, I knew their strengths and their weaknesses, I knew the going price, I knew the modder, and after that I would go on the forums and ask people who owned them their opinions.....if you want information about how to use a device it's all here for the asking.
That would work for some but there are actually not huge but sizable segments of the population that are not connected. Then of course you have let's say a 70 yo who just wants to stop smoking. Most a Mech certainly isn't good for them, but some it would.

A basic manual with basic battery safety like shit we sane Vapers take for granted. Like not putting loose batteries in your pocket, inspect your wrapper, etc. Along with basic information about knowing Ohms law, etc.

Mech's are incredibly simple but the rules are extremely important. It's not rocket science but you must respect and take care of your Mech. I love them and hate all the negative bullshit around them due to the ignorance and stupidity of some.

that was just plain simple greedy bastard looking to make a quick buck, and people like that sell used cars and life insurance and new roofs to people.....and as I recall that kid grabbed that mod without asking and the guy didn't know he had it....I don't like limiting the freedoms of people on the grounds it protects the stupidiest or the most corrupt among us. I believe natural selection play a vital role in keeping the race healthy.

Yep, they are out there. And if there were basic information included most all the blame would be focused on the idiots who chose to ignore them. Shit buy a USB thumb drive and it's got basic instructions/care included.

pulsevape

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I just got through watching an interview of Mooch...and he was vaping a ...Phantom...a mech mod made by wotofo that has a hybrid ring with it....lol

freemind

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I just got through watching an interview of Mooch...and he was vaping a ...Phantom...a mech mod made by wotofo that has a hybrid ring with it....lol
While I agree with you to some extent Pulse, your tirade about mechs is really unfounded in reality.

When WE started on mechs, things were different. People THEN on YouTube seemed to genuinely care and wanted to pass on good info. You know as well as me, most of these new YouTubers are narcissists and only want free shit and views. You have genuinely stupid people instructing other people to do dumb shit like them, because they are doing it. Just look at some of the threads here. People taking things to the limits of melt down and they are cool with it, because their shit hasn't blown up YET.

AND if people had any grey matter between their ears, they would be using a regulated device to get those super hot, low ohm builds. Not a mech with zero protection for error and Murphy's law.

And because YOU have conducted yourself in a certain way that minimalized your risks, that doesn't mean other people are buying their shit the SAME way. With the new FDA regulations, shops can't say jack shit about building on a mech, teach you the basics, or even trouble shoot your issues.

Iliketurtles

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Things are different, back in the day (like 3 years ago lol) only knowledgable enthusiasts would be using a mech mod and even then they would be building something around .3 ohms and mostly higher than that. Not many people even vaped at all. Not the same landscape now. It is still safe enough for knowledgable enthusiasts to get on a mech mod, it's not so safe for other people to start straight out with a 'Darwin's Wand'. Especially the unfathomable love of hybrid mechs, I mean that in itself is so stupid it beggars belief ...I wonder exactly how many ohms of resistivity you are honestly saving by omitting a 5mm copper pin from the circuit - 0.001ohms maybe? GTFOH, it is the inherent possibility of danger that makes it popular, status from using an 'expert' device - even though it is pretty dumb when you don't have a scooby about batteries or electricity in general.

VU Sponsors