Become a Patron!

Need a tool to tighten a 510 connector

VinnySem

Silver Contributor
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
One of my mods has a loose 510 connector. I have sockets and wrenches of all sizes that will fit the nut beneath, but once it gets to a certain tightness the plate and nut just spin together. I've Googled and found some tools that will thread into the 510 and allow me to keep it still while I snug the nut down good. Anyone have any "DIY" tips for parts to put one such tool together myself? Or does someone near CT have one such tool that would let me borrow one? Before I spring to purchase something that I will likely use just once.

VinnySem

Silver Contributor
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
What mod?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

My Rebel 21700 squonker. I had to replace the 510 because of a faulty PEEK insulator, I got a Varitube one because it has a better insulator and connection setup. But I can't fully tighten it without a treaded tool.

bx10r

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
My Rebel 21700 squonker. I had to replace the 510 because of a faulty PEEK insulator, I got a Varitube one because it has a better insulator and connection setup. But I can't fully tighten it without a treaded tool.
Hmmm....lemme look. Im assuming the 510 has no hex type hole or screw driver slit

VinnySem

Silver Contributor
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years

bx10r

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years

VinnySem

Silver Contributor
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Damn...i was gonna say maybe a tap same thread size but it probably wont hold the bf pin either

I'd be afraid of screwing up the existing threads.
That's the tool I bought elsewhere: I bought a cheap tool when I ordered a dozen 510's - it sucks. This is he one I'll get instead.
Yes I saw that one too. It definitely looked the best tool for the job, I'm just a cheapskate and didn't want to spend that much on something I'll likely use only once. Plus they're in the UK and will take some time to get here.

bx10r

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years

Yes I saw that one too. It definitely looked the best tool for the job, I'm just a cheapskate and didn't want to spend that much on something I'll likely use only once.
Better safe than sorry...trust me..u say once now...

PoppaVic

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years

Yes I saw that one too. It definitely looked the best tool for the job, I'm just a cheapskate and didn't want to spend that much on something I'll likely use only once. Plus they're in the UK and will take some time to get here.
Well, the cheap one comes w/o a wrench - so yer stuck using pliers and such as crescent/open-ened.. And, the goddamned thing locks TIGHT to the 510, so - removing it just about deletes the value of lockdown to begin with.

(I had such huge issues removing it that it reminded me of a stuck-case on the resizer died - really, really bad)

EDIT: Oh, and the knurling on mine is now totally ruined: it needs to be a hex/bolt/nut form, cuz the knurling and material are poor and will be ruined with visegrips/channel-locks.

VinnySem

Silver Contributor
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Well, the cheap one comes w/o a wrench - so yer stuck using pliers and such as crescent/open-ened.. And, the goddamned thing locks TIGHT to the 510, so - removing it just about deletes the value of lockdown to begin with.

(I had such huge issues removing it that it reminded me of a stuck-case on the resizer died - really, really bad)

EDIT: Oh, and the knurling on mine is now totally ruined: it needs to be a hex/bolt/nut form, cuz the knurling and material are poor and will be ruined with visegrips/channel-locks.

The motley mods one looks like it has a hex insert in the cap. And I have other hex nuts that will fit the threading, I think I could make it work instead of the knurled wheel they include.

PoppaVic

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
All I know is the one I bought - the one you suggested - is a nightmare. The other kit looks like you can get it on & off. It's not rocket-science if you've worked with nuts&botls, so #2 is clearly a better "kit".

jwill

The Great King of Nothing
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 2 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reddit Exile
VU SWAT
Avid Life makes a Polishing tool that threads into a 510 for a drill. I have used this tool for just this purpose a bunch of times. I think it cost $14 if you shop around. Thread it on, tighten it up and work it back and forth till it comes loose.

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
If you can find an m7 X .5 bolt and nut you are set.
Unfortunately most m7 bolts are m7 X1.

PoppaVic

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
The simple fact it comes with sockets and hardened bars to LEVERAGE them loose is the biggest diff, not even counting the wrench, (you can't fake a thinline wrench).

fq06

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Yeah, the design allowing you to remove the tool is unmatched by any other makeshift tool.
A lot of mods require that super thin wrench too. It's a specialty tool you will spend $15 on and use once every year or two but it pays for itself on the first use.

PoppaVic

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Yes. Specialty-Tools have to pay for themselves - as a Homeowner, (albeit small), I avoid buying weirdness I'd have to overpay for, store & remember wtf every decade..

However, shit like this is a must: it's more like a yearly test/check if you are sane. This means it has a REGULAR VALUE AND USE - and that MMaker kit is something you can apply to multiple devices regularly, not just to omgwtf-days. In the last few years, I've seen loose 510's on multiple devices.. It was much worse when we only had the type that resemble pop-rivet nuts.

PoppaVic

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I spent like 20 years of dad's "retirement" trying to convince him to UNDERPAY - goto Harbor Freight, buy chinee - get CHEAP SHIT.. Why? Because for a one-off, you can throw it away. Twice? Does it work for you? Yearly? Well, if you are doing it regular, dad, sure: NOW find a Craftsman, Snap-On, or whatever.

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Yep cheap tools.
Most of the HF stuff is project usable and some lasts quite a while.
some of their mechanics tools are ok but I do prefer to buy brand name mechanics tools.
But if a giant socket for very occasional use or somesuch I go HF.

I have some projects going this year. Bought a $80 Numax framing nail gun from Amazon.
Have already shot about 1,500 nails thru it and not a jam. Still going strong.

Last edited:

VU Sponsors