need a wattage range for a .5 subohm coil

Discussion in 'Ask An Expert' started by badmamjam, Sep 1, 2015.

1. badmamjam

badmamjam New Member

Blog Posts:
    Hi. I'm looking for a wattage range I can use for a .5 kanthal coil in a subohm tank (Innokin Sub G) on a temp-controlled mod (EVIC VT). Of course, I can't use the temp-control mode with a Kanthal wire, but it will let me adjust the wattage. I am looking for a range so that I can save $ on juice by burning it slower.

I love the tank, and I love the mod, so I'd like to keep those the same and just make sure I have the correct wattage.

It is supposed to automatically adjust the ohms, but I want to know how to confirm the ohms are correct for that wattage. Could I use an ohms calculator for that?

Thanks very much in advance.

2. Mike H.

Mike H. Gold Contributor Member For 2 Years

Blog Posts:
    More power equals more juice consumption..no way around that...the lower your ohms are the more power that is needed to fire it up.

On an evod i had with 8 watts i wouldnt even burn through 10ml a day..With a .5 ohm coil at 25 to 35 watts its now tripled to 25 to 30ml a day...There is no "juice consumption saving mode" except with higher ohms and less power.

badmamjam likes this.
  3. Zamazam

Zamazam Evil Vulcan's do it with Logic Staff Member Senior Moderator VU Donator Platinum Contributor Member For 3 Years

Blog Posts:
    Subohm tanks are designed to produce lots of vapor. Try 20-25 watts with the airflow on the smallest setting to start.

vlgato likes this.
  4. badmamjam

badmamjam New Member

Blog Posts:
    Thanks, Mike.

And Zamazam, so I'm assuming 20 watts isn't "too low" for such a coil, tank, and mod? (You can tell I'm new to this. ;) )

5. Mike H.

Mike H. Gold Contributor Member For 2 Years

Blog Posts:
    20 watts will be about 3 volts and in my opinion be a shitty vape...you probably wont get much vapor at all nor any flavor...i would suggest trying higher ohm coils then a much lower wattage can be used and still be able to supply enough voltage to the coils to enjoy your vape...juice consumption will drop as well a significant amount.

No matter what ohm coil ive used it takes at least 3.5v or higher to the coil to get a decent vape from it...25 watts would put you about there but its still not going to be so easy on juice consumption.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2015