Become a Patron!

Need Advice Dual Coil Dual Twisted Build in a Mech Squonk

SiCkHiTrEg

Member For 1 Year
So I am curious if this is even possible honestly. I am curious if anyone has had any success with a dual coil/ dual twisted build in a mech squonk to ohm out around .18-.25. The issue isn't that really, however I would like to fit some scottish rolls in there. Generally, when wicking like this it is slightly fatter so having a larger diameter in both coils is needed but when I am doing this I keep ohming out around .45 with dual coils (26g twisted 6 wraps, not sure exact inner diameter).

Anyone with experience with twisted coils maybe could chime in on what gauge wire to twist and how many wraps and diameter I would need to fit scottish rolls and also achieve about .2 ohms without losing flavor. Or am I just dreaming and this isn't really possible :D

Don29palms

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
Unlisted Vendor
What kind of wire are you using? Have you tried using Steam Engine app?

Don29palms

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
Unlisted Vendor
According to Steam Engine twisted 26awg kanthal a1 dual coils 6 wraps on 3.0mm id will give you approx .20 ohms resistance. You can use scottish roll wicking on any id coils.

SiCkHiTrEg

Member For 1 Year
According to Steam Engine twisted 26awg kanthal a1 dual coils 6 wraps on 3.0mm id will give you approx .20 ohms resistance. You can use scottish roll wicking on any id coils.

Ya i know you can but if its a thinner wick it kinda defeats the purpose. Ill try a 3mm id 6 wrap and see what it comes out to thank you.

zephyr

Dirty Pirate Meg
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
So I am curious if this is even possible honestly. I am curious if anyone has had any success with a dual coil/ dual twisted build in a mech squonk to ohm out around .18-.25. The issue isn't that really, however I would like to fit some scottish rolls in there. Generally, when wicking like this it is slightly fatter so having a larger diameter in both coils is needed but when I am doing this I keep ohming out around .45 with dual coils (26g twisted 6 wraps, not sure exact inner diameter).

Anyone with experience with twisted coils maybe could chime in on what gauge wire to twist and how many wraps and diameter I would need to fit scottish rolls and also achieve about .2 ohms without losing flavor. Or am I just dreaming and this isn't really possible :D

3mm ID and 4/5 wraps is right under 0.25 ohms, any bigger will take a long time to heat up on a mech squonker

Last edited:

SiCkHiTrEg

Member For 1 Year
3mm ID and 4/5 wraps is right under 0.25 ohms, any bigger will take a long time on a mech squonker

Ya I did 5 wraps at 3mm ID with twisted 26g kanthol. It comes out around .25

Heres what it looks like. Just wish I could get a few more wraps so I didn’t need to stretch em so much because it pulls apart my coils from a tight wrap. I need to look into a new rda anyways I think. But anyways heres what I came up with on my dead rabbit.
AE3C4C6F-1102-42D8-83B4-006B6F2720C3.png 9A0D8C7B-2E61-4345-AAA6-EC3A0B6E0287.png 0F3BFE7D-6B4F-4819-A21E-2C726285FD94.png FFC05575-D23D-4360-9C70-F4F48E76C7FC.png 365546DF-DC0F-4394-8351-74512C60F49D.png

zephyr

Dirty Pirate Meg
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor

Heres what it looks like. Just wish I could get a few more wraps so I didn’t need to stretch em so much because it pulls apart my coils from a tight wrap. I need to look into a new rda anyways I think. But anyways heres what I came up with on my dead rabbit.
View attachment 111280 View attachment 111281 View attachment 111282 View attachment 111283 View attachment 111284

That looks good, I built that just tonight to see lol, with spaced wraps it's a good vape, I have it in a bottom airflow RDA though and just about any build tastes good :xD:

Don29palms

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
Unlisted Vendor

View attachment 111280 View attachment 111281 View attachment 111282 View attachment 111283 View attachment 111284

If the only RDA you have is a Dead Rabbit then definitely yes you need to get a new RDA. Just about anything you get will be much better than a Dead Rabbit IN MY OPINION. There are alot of really nice RDAs out there for great prices.

SiCkHiTrEg

Member For 1 Year
If the only RDA you have is a Dead Rabbit then definitely yes you need to get a new RDA. Just about anything you get will be much better than a Dead Rabbit IN MY OPINION. There are alot of really nice RDAs out there for great prices.

I have been trying to find an authentic haddy but can’t find any unfortunately :( Thought about trying the other one they make thats available now. I also do not have to many rda’s. And I mainly mech squonk and have the pulsebf 22 and 24, and the 22 and 24 dead rabbit. Any input on some good flavor rda’s would be appreciated :)

SiCkHiTrEg

Member For 1 Year
Ok so at this point the flavor is really muted. I think I am going to look into getting a regulated squonker. I think I am just getting tired of having to be limited in my mech squonks. Are there any good regulated squonkers on the market? I know nothing about regulated squonks.

Also need to get some better attys for flavor if anyone has any suggestions. Was looking at the wasp nanos. Heard good things about them. Wanted a haddy but cant find them anywhere and don’t know anything about the new one psyclone is making.

fightinggoat

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
If you single coil then you don't need to give up on the single battery mechs, they perform awesome with a single coil.

I don't like dual coils on a single battery mech, not enough power.

A wasp nano is a great choice.

r055co

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
If you single coil then you don't need to give up on the single battery mechs, they perform awesome with a single coil.

I don't like dual coils on a single battery mech, not enough power.

A wasp nano is a great choice.
All depends on type of wire and especially wire mass. I happily vape on dual 317L SS 28x2/38 fused claptons at around 0.18Ω on singe battery Mech's. Very responsive with a nice warm vape and acceptable battery life.

SiCkHiTrEg

Member For 1 Year
All depends on type of wire and especially wire mass. I happily vape on dual 317L SS 28x2/38 fused claptons at around 0.18Ω on singe battery Mech's. Very responsive with a nice warm vape and acceptable battery life.

I tried ss and got a metallic taste to my vape so I stopped using it. I also tried using single coild rda’s but kept getting readings a lot higher then I wanted. So they lacked flavor for me. I go back to drippers I haven’t used in forever and the flavor is way more dense and saturated.

This leads me to look into a regulated squonker which I know nothing about and would love some input on these if any decent ones exhist.

r055co

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I tried ss and got a metallic taste to my vape so I stopped using it. I also tried using single coild rda’s but kept getting readings a lot higher then I wanted. So they lacked flavor for me. I go back to drippers I haven’t used in forever and the flavor is way more dense and saturated.

This leads me to look into a regulated squonker which I know nothing about and would love some input on these if any decent ones exhist.
What brand of wire? Yes it makes a difference, if you haven't tried get a small spool (30ft) of either Kidney Puncher or Atomizer Wick for they're both real Sandvik wire and it'll run you well under $5.

zephyr

Dirty Pirate Meg
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor

This is a Therion BF with DNA75C chip - I definitely recommend it if you end up liking single coils, and also recommend it if you can be happy around 55 watts and/or willing to keep it on a charger

I like small dual coils, I'm happy with this mod
15266761577651633193759.jpg
1526676296319957601101.jpg 1526676341108932777516.jpg

Edit: I dunno if 3x28 triple fused claptons are considered small, but these are just 2.4mm diameter so they are on the small side, in that way

SiCkHiTrEg

Member For 1 Year
This is a Therion BF with DNA75C chip - I definitely recommend it if you end up liking single coils, and also recommend it if you can be happy around 55 watts and/or willing to keep it on a charger

I like small dual coils, I'm happy with this mod
View attachment 111441
View attachment 111442 View attachment 111443

Edit: I dunno if 3x28 triple fused claptons are considered small, but these are just 2.4mm diameter so they are on the small side, in that way

So this doesnt take batteries? What do you mean keep it on the charger.

I also have seen hcigar is releasing a regulated squonk but continued to be pushed back for release. Wonder how that will be.

As far as the wire I have a bunch of kidney puncher wire various gauges, of ss and kanthol.

Lasy the gbox just seems to big being dual battery and all. I have a vicious ant spade on the way and should be here monday. But thats still unregulated. I also want a good regulated squonk because sometimes I don’t want to worry about my builds and want to try dif things. On a single battery mech you are somewhat limited.

Def will look at the therion, but I think the gbox is out of the question because of its size. That hcigar aurora looks solid that is coming out. And don’t know how the 80w pulse mod is doing either. I know the original pulse was not very good even though I still use it. Its just hard to get hands on some of the nice squonkers because they are either really expensive and need to be in groups etc..

zephyr

Dirty Pirate Meg
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
So this doesnt take batteries? What do you mean keep it on the charger.

It uses an 18650 battery - but one battery does not hold charge long if you want to vape at 75 watts, so I mean charge it often - I prefer using the built in charger of DNA mods rather than take batteries out and swap

But also like I said, if you like single coils or 55 watts or less, it'll serve you well. If you want 70+ watts, just be prepared to keep it charged above 80% battery because it starts to cut voltage down at that point

I will say also it's not hard to swap batteries, you don't even have to take the bottle out first

Also has the best squonk system I've tried so far, very easy and snug, airtight lines, comes with a 30mL refiller too

r055co

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
As far as the wire I have a bunch of kidney puncher wire various gauges, of ss and kanthol.

Cool, KP is one of the best wire you can get. Weird about getting a metallic taste, the reason why 99.99% of the wire I use is SS is for it's cleaner and crisper with no weird flavor like metallic. We're all different like I see the Rayon for wicking fans who say they love it for the taste, I can't stand the flavor I get from Rayon, makes me gag.

zephyr

Dirty Pirate Meg
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Cool, KP is one of the best wire you can get. Weird about getting a metallic taste, the reason why 99.99% of the wire I use is SS is for it's cleaner and crisper with no weird flavor like metallic. We're all different like I see the Rayon for wicking fans who say they love it for the taste, I can't stand the flavor I get from Rayon, makes me gag.

That's awesome to hear - Nailz said Cotton Bacon Prime tastes like rayon, but to me it has no taste - and SS has an off taste for me, too! I wonder if they're related, sorry off topic just fascinated me

Also, I have some Temco SS and it smells like chlorine on the spool (to me)

SiCkHiTrEg

Member For 1 Year
That's awesome to hear - Nailz said Cotton Bacon Prime tastes like rayon, but to me it has no taste - and SS has an off taste for me, too! I wonder if they're related, sorry off topic just fascinated me

Omg I get the same thing from cotton bacon v2. Gives me a weird taste. I was excited to try it out when I first got it and then went back to organic pads and using scottish roll technique, because for me that gives great wicking and holds juice well. Its crazy how everyone tastes different things. Honestly even with 3mm ID coils I feel I lose alot of flavor. Its just harder to do scottish roll with small diameter coils.

As far as changing the battery I don’t mind because I prolly have like 6 18650’s laying around fully charged. On the pulse bf the voltage drop was so bad and battery did not last long at all. Have three 20700’s for that constantly swapping and charging. It can be tedious, but the quality of vape on a fresh battery is second to none.

Don29palms

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
Unlisted Vendor
I have an Hcigar Aurora on order. It looks like a nice mod. I'll post a review when I get it. I also have a Vapefly Wormhole RDA coming to go with it.

SiCkHiTrEg

Member For 1 Year
I have an Hcigar Aurora on order. It looks like a nice mod. I'll post a review when I get it. I also have a Vapefly Wormhole RDA coming to go with it.

I almost pre-ordered that today until I saw it was pushed back like 3 times already since like feb-mar. Made me second guess that and pull out ;)

r055co

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years

Yeah Cotton Bacon Prime I've found to really like, Rayon doesn't even come close to CB Prime. SS though still is my all time favorite wire, maybe it's due to when I first started SubΩ vaping it was with the OG Crown which is SS, dunno. Only thing I would suggest is what I do with all my coils, as soon as I mount, strum, etc I run one cycle through the UltraSonic. If you don't have an Ultrasonic just clean them once after the initial dry fire. You'll need to do a very quick dry fire to check the coil glow from inside to out but the initial is already done. I do this with all my coils, Kanthal, NiChrome (don't like it) and SS. I'm pretty anal about my wire being clean, even with top quality wire for you never know even with what you may transfer from your hands or what ever.

zephyr

Dirty Pirate Meg
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Omg I get the same thing from cotton bacon v2. Gives me a weird taste. I was excited to try it out when I first got it and then went back to organic pads and using scottish roll technique, because for me that gives great wicking and holds juice well. Its crazy how everyone tastes different things. Honestly even with 3mm ID coils I feel I lose alot of flavor. Its just harder to do scottish roll with small diameter coils.

As far as changing the battery I don’t mind because I prolly have like 6 18650’s laying around fully charged. On the pulse bf the voltage drop was so bad and battery did not last long at all. Have three 20700’s for that constantly swapping and charging. It can be tedious, but the quality of vape on a fresh battery is second to none.

On a Samsung 30Q battery, I actually got down to 70% charge before it started going lower than the 75 watts I have I set at - not bad man, pretty effing awesome really

r055co

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
On a Samsung 30Q battery, I actually got down to 70% charge before it started going lower than the 75 watts I have I set at - not bad man, pretty effing awesome really
I pulled the trigger on the 18650 Vapcell 2800mAh Sony US18650VTC5D. I belong to the upper level of Mooch's Patron so I get a couple days advanced notice of his reviews. He rated them to be a re-wrap of the Sony US18650VTC5D that hits better than the VTC5A's, I got them from Illumn.com. I absolutely love the VTC5A's and went with them when Mooch recommended them and have been thrilled, so when he recommends the new VTC5D's I'm all in!

SiCkHiTrEg

Member For 1 Year
I have the ijoy 20700’s which mooch rated at 30a and not the 40 that they claim. For my 18650’s I forget which I have honestly. They are wrapped in a pink casing. Not sure if that even helps. I believe they are samsung. And have some brown 18650’s as well that are lg. Not sure exact models.

zephyr

Dirty Pirate Meg
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
I have the ijoy 20700’s which mooch rated at 30a and not the 40 that they claim. For my 18650’s I forget which I have honestly. They are wrapped in a pink casing. Not sure if that even helps. I believe they are samsung. And have some brown 18650’s as well that are lg. Not sure exact models.

Samsung 30Qs are pink :D my favorite battery, I don't vape high power with single batteries though

Ralph_K

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I got one of the pulse squonk mech mods with an ijoy 20700 battery using a phobia RDA. Had .28 ohm dual clapton build I wasn't really impressed I switched out with lower ohm build and its a big improvement. If you're not chain vaping .12 ohms seems ideal.

SiCkHiTrEg

Member For 1 Year
I got one of the pulse squonk mech mods with an ijoy 20700 battery using a phobia RDA. Had .28 ohm dual clapton build I wasn't really impressed I switched out with lower ohm build and its a big improvement. If you're not chain vaping .12 ohms seems ideal.

Ya thats my only squonk atm, I have a VA spade coming in on moday which I am stoked about. Also I wound up ordering the 80w pulse mod. This was really controversial for me because while I do use my pulse squonker, I am really not impressed with it at all. After looking at many reviews for the 80w pulse mod from even people who hate vv stating its a solid mod I took a shot. 50 bucks isn’t to crazy so if it is garbage I wont feel too bad. Still looking at a few others as well. So once the va spade and 80w pulse come in I can comment some more on them.

fightinggoat

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I think you will be disappointed trying run dual coils with a large ID, especially twisted wire, on a single battery mod, regulated or not, they just don't have the power needed to push big builds hot and fast.

The pulse mech is actually a great mod, it only needs a minor tweak to eliminate most of the voltage drop.
It's easy to do and now my pulse hits just as hard as some of my best mechs.

The regulated version won't hit any harder than my mech will.

Now a single coil with shine with any of those mods.

SiCkHiTrEg

Member For 1 Year
I think you will be disappointed trying run dual coils with a large ID, especially twisted wire, on a single battery mod, regulated or not, they just don't have the power needed to push big builds hot and fast.

The pulse mech is actually a great mod, it only needs a minor tweak to eliminate most of the voltage drop.
It's easy to do and now my pulse hits just as hard as some of my best mechs.

The regulated version won't hit any harder than my mech will.

Now a single coil with shine with any of those mods.

Dual twisted 26g I feel isn’t drawing too hard on the battery. I just feel it gives me much better flavor. I could try a single naked 24g on my dead rabbit sq single coil but im worried it will lack in flavor. Thoughts? I am def a flavor chaser, clouds second if you know what I mean.

fightinggoat

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Single 24ga nichrome is my wire of choice.
Dead rabbit SQ is not the best single coil attie for flavor chasers though.
I find mine severely lacks flavor compared to my other single coilers.

SiCkHiTrEg

Member For 1 Year
Single 24ga nichrome is my wire of choice.
Dead rabbit SQ is not the best single coil attie for flavor chasers though.
I find mine severely lacks flavor compared to my other single coilers.

I have a wasp nano on the way :) My problem with single coil builds is that I can never get them low enough. They always come out to like .6 etc... And I want like a .18 or so. And someone said .12 build, but I think that is prolly way to low and not safe for battery. Thats pulling 30.8 amps which on my ijoy 20700’s rated at 40a its not really a true 40a battery. More like a 30a. Even then that has to be pushing it.

I need to figure out a solid single coil build for my mechs I guess. I tried some ss builds that came out around .18 but still get metallic taste. Guess I have to stick with kanthol which maybe is tougher to build low single coils?

fightinggoat

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I use parallel wrapped Ni80, 4/5 wraps and 3mm ID for my single coil builds, comes out to .17-.18ohm.

I also use ijoy 20700 in both my squonkers as well as a VTC6 in my coppervape. I can vape all day on one battery but usually swap them once or twice a day as I like a fresh battery hit from a mech.

My battery never even gets warm, and the very long life out of a single coil shows me I am not working my battery hard at all.

SiCkHiTrEg

Member For 1 Year
I use parallel wrapped Ni80, 4/5 wraps and 3mm ID for my single coil builds, comes out to .17-.18ohm.

I also use ijoy 20700 in both my squonkers as well as a VTC6 in my coppervape. I can vape all day on one battery but usually swap them once or twice a day as I like a fresh battery hit from a mech.

My battery never even gets warm, and the very long life out of a single coil shows me I am not working my battery hard at all.

Nichrome is the only thing I have not tried. Ss gives me bad taste so I stick with kanthol. I will have to try to grab some nichrome and gove it a try.

SiCkHiTrEg

Member For 1 Year
So got my VA spade in today. Got the 24mm dead rabbit on it with dual twisted 26g coils reading at about .2 still waiting for my wasp nano to come in and pulse 80w Mod. Big difference from the original pulse IMO.

E57955FA-687A-48A6-BA55-526FAF9CEF6A.png B4F70C03-943A-4C56-8BAD-B6873666C0E1.jpeg

Don29palms

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
Unlisted Vendor
So got my VA spade in today. Got the 24mm dead rabbit on it with dual twisted 26g coils reading at about .2 still waiting for my wasp nano to come in and pulse 80w Mod. Big difference from the original pulse IMO.

View attachment 111649 View attachment 111650
That spade is very nice. Putting a DR on that spade is like putting a worn out V6 in a Corvette.

SiCkHiTrEg

Member For 1 Year
15 amps by manufacturer, Mooch tentatively rated it at 20a

https://www.reddit.com/r/electronic...cording_to_moochs_info_the_best_18650_is_one/

I use it right at 20 amps often, stays cool and lasts a long long time

Ok awesome to know because the current build was pulling about 17 and I thought they were 15 amp batteries and was a little worried. Wasnt getting hot or anything so. Also how do you like that templar rda? I saw it on the pics you posted of your therion If im not mistaken.

zephyr

Dirty Pirate Meg
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Ok awesome to know because the current build was pulling about 17 and I thought they were 15 amp batteries and was a little worried. Wasnt getting hot or anything so. Also how do you like that templar rda? I saw it on the pics you posted of your therion If im not mistaken.

Really good flavor and smooth air for side airflow RDA, I broke the zinc insulator but still works if I only use two post holes - great squonker, good dripper with the frosted dome cap, not so good o-rings

SiCkHiTrEg

Member For 1 Year
Really good flavor and smooth air for side airflow RDA, I broke the zinc insulator but still works if I only use two post holes - great squonker, good dripper with the frosted dome cap, not so good o-rings

I have one on the way as well as that wasp nano. Can you suggest any other good rdas for flavor :)

r055co

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I have one on the way as well as that wasp nano. Can you suggest any other good rdas for flavor :)
Narda, you should be able to find a decent clone. It is an outstanding flavor output. If you can also find a clone of the Darang, steller flavor

zephyr

Dirty Pirate Meg
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor

I like the CoilArt Mage, bottom airflow, doesnt come with a squonk pin though. But the CoilArt DPRO does, and it fits the Mage. Could probably find a spare squonk pin, and Mage is probably cheap nowadays

http://www.coilart.net/dpro-rda-screw

Mage tastes great but air isn't as smooth as my Templar or Drop - DPRO has good flavor too, but it almost whistles

VU Sponsors